Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Back to fatness and it being a disability. Naw. But it can cause other chronic diseases that can be considered disabling. Doesn't mean we should judge people because of it. I hate the direction the country is going in terms of obesity, but all we can do is continue to educate folks and hope that soon they find ways to take better care of themselves. It isn't black and white, but there's certainly nothing good about it either.

*bows out*
  • bloodyhonest
    bloodyhonest Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAasK-4Yhs2seQ227jFE23zOHIde0f0TZF-7uj03GdzgZGuzBg
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It really grinds my gears when I see people who have no effect on my life riding around on scooters.

Stay away from the Shriners then.
  • bloodyhonest
    Options

Yes dear. Don't worry. We saw it the first time.

thanks for letting everyone see it for the third time, honey. Here it is for the fourth time!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Back to fatness and it being a disability. Naw. But it can cause other chronic diseases that can be considered disabling. Doesn't mean we should judge people because of it. I hate the direction the country is going in terms of obesity, but all we can do is continue to educate folks and hope that soon they find ways to take better care of themselves. It isn't black and white, but there's certainly nothing good about it either.

*bows out*

I agree. There have been ample examples on this thread of active people who happen to be fat. Fat, by itself, isn't a disability.

However, being sedentary can cause obesity + range of motion issues. Obesity can lead to health conditions. Health conditions can lead to obesity. All of these things can contribute to a disability.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yea, bankruptcy won't exempt you. Woulda filed a long time ago :laugh:

QFT.

I just *had* to stay at the fancy school, even though my parents started making more money, and I was getting less and less financial aid. *sigh*

So pay the minimum until you die. You get to take the interest off your taxes anyway.

Not if you make enough to actually pay back the student loans

There was an original joke about finding a way to not pay them back.

I believe that the original point was one of gaming the system.

Yes and then I chimed in and asked if there was a way a person could get around paying them back.
    Then someone commented in filing bankruptcy.
    Someone else said no, they are not exempt from bankruptcy.
    You said that is overstated.
    Then that person again said "pay the minimum until you die"
    Then you said: Not unless you make enough to pay them back.

It was one big circle.

Except that no example of gaming the system was provided. I fail to see the circularity

Rigggggght because I misunderstood what she was saying. She was talking about wasting the money. I was joking about trying to figure out how to not pay them back.

Still waiting for an answer to that too lol

Here's an article listing some of the ways people game the Student Loan system:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/06/06/student-loan-crisis-fraud-major-issue
  • bloodyhonest
    Options

Yes dear. Don't worry. We saw it the first time.

thanks for letting everyone see it for the third time, honey. Here it is for the fourth time!

Yes darling it just keeps getting better and better.

I am glad you're enjoying it as much as I am, sugar. Wanna go for lucky 7?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Yea, bankruptcy won't exempt you. Woulda filed a long time ago :laugh:

QFT.

I just *had* to stay at the fancy school, even though my parents started making more money, and I was getting less and less financial aid. *sigh*

So pay the minimum until you die. You get to take the interest off your taxes anyway.

Not if you make enough to actually pay back the student loans

There was an original joke about finding a way to not pay them back.

I believe that the original point was one of gaming the system.

Yes and then I chimed in and asked if there was a way a person could get around paying them back.
    Then someone commented in filing bankruptcy.
    Someone else said no, they are not exempt from bankruptcy.
    You said that is overstated.
    Then that person again said "pay the minimum until you die"
    Then you said: Not unless you make enough to pay them back.

It was one big circle.

Except that no example of gaming the system was provided. I fail to see the circularity

Rigggggght because I misunderstood what she was saying. She was talking about wasting the money. I was joking about trying to figure out how to not pay them back.

Still waiting for an answer to that too lol

Here's an article listing some of the ways people game the Student Loan system:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/06/06/student-loan-crisis-fraud-major-issue

Puff piece. Buried in the middle of their Chicken Little dance was this: "As the new OIG report states, 34,007 students defrauding the government is a small number compared to the 54 million students who borrowed loans through federal programs."
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Why is there no cake here?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    PSELF is for any government agency and not just state. Also, it was established with consideration of the salary gap between public sector and private sector job. With the state, I make 24k. In the private sector, I would be making around 40k.

Except for the little fact that the gap between public and private salary is very much in favor of the public sector. Similar jobs pay significantly better in the public sector, on average. Loan forgiveness (non military) is a scam.

Having to take out any loans to get an education that will make society better by creating more skilled workers is the only scam going on here.

And why should the military get loan forgiveness if no one else does? Oh wait, I know, because instead of creating a self-sustaining society of skilled workers, we're creating sweatshops overseas and relying on foreign oil, and our military is the hired thugs that keep the peasants in line.

I'll probably get in trouble for this, but screw it, the whole thread is political now.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    This rolled? I've lost my faith in humanity.

giphy.gif
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

a5d4O6N_460sa_v1_zps59ded627.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It really grinds my gears when I see people who have no effect on my life riding around on scooters.

Stay away from the Shriners then.

What's wrong with them? They have the best parties.

Oh, and the hospitals.

I just wish they'd mini-car joust,and let me join them.

I'm surprised this rolled. I should go get my 33rd degree and a mini-car.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Don't lose faith my love...it was headed that way, so I started giffing. Couldn't help it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    wow
  • likitisplit
    Options
    PSELF is for any government agency and not just state. Also, it was established with consideration of the salary gap between public sector and private sector job. With the state, I make 24k. In the private sector, I would be making around 40k.

Except for the little fact that the gap between public and private salary is very much in favor of the public sector. Similar jobs pay significantly better in the public sector, on average. Loan forgiveness (non military) is a scam.

Having to take out any loans to get an education that will make society better by creating more skilled workers is the only scam going on here.

And why should the military get loan forgiveness if no one else does? Oh wait, I know, because instead of creating a self-sustaining society of skilled workers, we're creating sweatshops overseas and relying on foreign oil, and our military is the hired thugs that keep the peasants in line.

I'll probably get in trouble for this, but screw it, the whole thread is political now.

There are bunches of things that get you free school. Teaching. Peace corps.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    and our military is the hired thugs that keep the peasants in line.

Trouble for it? No, because those thugs put their lives on the line over the years so you could call them thugs without fear of repercussion. But I do thank you for this, at least know how much weight to put into your opinions from here on out.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    and our military is the hired thugs that keep the peasants in line.

Trouble for it? No, because those thugs put their lives on the line over the years so you could call them thugs without fear of repercussion. But I do thank you for this, at least know how much weight to put into your opinions from here on out.

Major General Butler would disagree.

I'll let you take it up with him, since I know you won't listen to a word I have to say. Google War is a Racket.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm still slogging through the first thread, but to OP, one reason it is a legitimate disability is that one of the standards is inability to work for one year or longer. There is no moral judgment about whether or not the person did this to himself, and one of the standards is not inability to work forever.