Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

People with serious eating disorders should be in an inpatient program getting the help they need. Not collecting money from the government. Money isn't going to solve the problem.

One problem: Those programs aren't widely available to people without money and/or excellent insurance. Hell, we can't even get enough inpatient beds for heroin addicts in this country, and you think cookie addicts are going to have a chance?

Oh, not to mention the other side of the eating disorder coin: anorexics, bulimics, and those categorized as having EDNOS. Insurance companies don't want to cover them sufficiently to keep them from dying, and our government won't make them.

You're assuming all individuals with eating disorders are poor. That's not true.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Obesity is only a disability if you allow it to be.

So, if someone can't get out of bed, a positive attitude will make them non-disabled? Can diabetics will their organs into functioning correctly?

Until SSDI/SSI considers how a person became a disability in every single instance, and issues moral judgments about a person's worth, why should we care so much more for severely obese people? Do you believe that people who can't get out of bed due to their weight (not caused by an easily pinpointed condition) don't have some form of an eating disorder?

There are plenty of individuals who weigh 400, 500, 600+ lbs and can still get out of bed. Hell, there's 400, 500, 600+ lb people who get out there and exercise. Watch Extreme Weight Loss. Some of the candidates are well over 400 lbs, get on a treadmill and run. Too many people use obesity as an excuse. Is it uncomfortable? YES. Does it make exercise more difficult? YES. Do you feel like your heart is pounding out of your skin? YES. But laying in bed or sitting on the couch isn't going to change a damn thing. In fact it'll only make things worse.

I know there are individuals who are bed-ridden because they ate themselves to 900 pounds. Do I believe they have an eating disorder? Absolutely. But to me, an eating disorder is no where near comparable to an actual disability like Down Syndrome or Multiple Sclerosis nor should a person receive government assistance for having an eating disorder.

Well, luckily, the government has stopped support discrimination against mental illness. You can get SSI for depression, if it's severe enough. You could be denied SSI for well-managed Schizophrenia. Mental illness can be as devastating and tragic as getting MS. (What if the person who got MS engaged in behaviors that increased their risk? Are they still legit?)

If someone has an eating disorder that is killing them, that's not legitimate enough for you? People with serious eating disorders suffer terribly.

One 500 lb person can work out. Another cannot. And it doesn't matter. A walk around the block or a run on the treadmill does not qualify someone to be able to maintain sustainable work. People don't get automatically approved for pretty much anything.

People with serious eating disorders should be in an inpatient program getting the help they need. Not collecting money from the government. Money isn't going to solve the problem.

Do you know how expensive inpatient treatment is? How are these people going to pay for it? At least there is some chance with the Medicare and Medicaid they may be able to receive to get some form of treatment. And severe eating disorders can last years, regardless of treatment.

What about people with serious conditions you consider legitimate? When they need to go inpatient, should we cut off the support?
  • Maitria
    Options

One problem: Those programs aren't widely available to people without money and/or excellent insurance. Hell, we can't even get enough inpatient beds for heroin addicts in this country, and you think cookie addicts are going to have a chance?

Oh, not to mention the other side of the eating disorder coin: anorexics, bulimics, and those categorized as having EDNOS. Insurance companies don't want to cover them sufficiently to keep them from dying, and our government won't make them.

You're assuming all individuals with eating disorders are poor. That's not true.

I'm not at all what I would consider poor. Can you afford $90 a day for just the room and board, not the medical treatment, that residential can charge? That $90 is not covered by Medicaid, by the way. That's out of pocket.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

I'm not at all what I would consider poor. Can you afford $90 a day for just the room and board, not the medical treatment, that residential can charge? That $90 is not covered by Medicaid, by the way. That's out of pocket.

No I wasn't assuming that. I was assuming that no one was seriously suggesting those with eating disorders who are poor should be left to die in the street. Although I'm quite sure some people would be fine with that. But I mostly pretend that sort doesn't exist.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

• Meerataila
    Options

I'm well aware it's out of pocket considering my parents have spent tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket for my anxiety treatments. And by the way, we have excellent insurance. These programs just aren't covered by insurance. But bottom line, you do what you have to do to get the help you need.

Well, robbing banks for money to get treatment is an option, but it could be tough on someone weighing 500+ pounds. A speedy getaway is going to take some serious planning.
  • Maitria
    Options

I'm well aware it's out of pocket considering my parents have spent tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket for my anxiety treatments. And by the way, we have excellent insurance. These programs just aren't covered by insurance. But bottom line, you do what you have to do to get the help you need.

Right, like filing for disability so you will have health care and not have to live in deplorable conditions while trying to get healthy? You do understand that not everyone's parents have tens of thousands of dollars to "do what they have to do?"

Are you over 18? Why are your parents paying? Why aren't you doing what you have to do on your own?
  • Meerataila
    Options
    I'm well aware it's out of pocket considering my parents have spent tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket for my anxiety treatments. But bottom line, you do what you have to do to get the help you need.

Like be born to well-to-do parents who can pay for this kind of thing? You are really something.

Hey, if you didn't pick the right parents to get born to, you clearly weren't exercising personal responsibility.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    I'm well aware it's out of pocket considering my parents have spent tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket for my anxiety treatments. But bottom line, you do what you have to do to get the help you need.

Like be born to well-to-do parents who can pay for this kind of thing? You are really something.

Hey, if you didn't pick the right parents to get born to, you clearly weren't exercising personal responsibility.

Yeah or you accidently squished too many spiders in your previous incarnation. Or something.

:sad: It's not fair! I never squish them in this life. Doesn't that count for something?
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Obesity is not a disability. Depression is not a disability. Anxiety is not a disability. Mood swings ("bipolar") are not a disability. Alcoholism is not a disability. Drug addiction is not a disability. The system hands out government checks to people who don't deserve them. People are claiming disbilities on grounds that should not be allowed. They are ripping off the taxpayers. I hear them brag about it all the time on the bus; how they've hopped on the bipolar bandwagon to get a crazy check and live off the government.And I have known people with genuine physical disabilities that were turned down.
  • Maitria
    Options
    You are dodging many of my questions. Please consider this scenario.

A child is born to a parent with severe mental illness. (Not the child's fault, won't even argue about the parent because their responsibility is irrelevant to the child's responsibility.) As a result of the severe and poorly treated mental illness, the child grows up in poverty as mom can't work and SSI checks aren't all that lavish. The child also grows up with skewed views on reality or a serious emotional disorder due to the extenuating life events they have been trying to live through.

When that child is 18, with no life experience outside of what the child grew up with, and has a serious eating disorder, self-mutilates, and cannot stop thinking about suicide, what is it that they have to do? Mom can't create tens of thousands of dollars. Kid can't either. Kid can't function to even be able to consider taking a job to pay for treatment, and would likely only get a low paying job that has crappy benefits and the kid can't even afford the copay or deductible even if the insurance is rockin'. No one to cosign a loan.

This may not be a reality in your world. That doesn't mean it isn't out there. And it's not one person in the country. There are lots of families that people care little about or just don't even realize that they exist.
  • Maitria
    Options
    Obesity is not a disability. Depression is not a disability. Anxiety is not a disability. Mood swings ("bipolar") are not a disability. Alcoholism is not a disability. Drug addiction is not a disability. The system hands out government checks to people who don't deserve them. People are claiming disbilities on grounds that should not be allowed. They are ripping off the taxpayers. I hear them brag about it all the time on the bus; how they've hopped on the bipolar bandwagon to get a crazy check and live off the government.And I have known people with genuine physical disabilities that were turned down.

Why? Because you say so? Did you know that severe mood disorders can result in psychosis and destructive behaviors that wouldn't ever be considered by the person normally? I'm guessing you don't live this way, since you don't see that as disabling. Bipolar and major depressive disorder can both be "physical" disorders.

Yup, people lie. Do you know how hard it is to get approved on a mental health disability? A high percentage end up appealing and denied and then end up at a hearing stage.

Do you think it's possible some people with arthritis are exaggerating their conditions to get disability? Nope, people with purely physical and no mental illness never lie.

I have genuine physical disabilities. If I were to apply, I should be turned down right now. Maybe not some day. Spend some time with people really suffering and not the ones you spend time with who game the system and brag about it. Bipolar and depression can both be devastating, not in the "poor me" people seem to think, but as in, people die from them. People can hallucinate or have delusions from them. People can act completely out of character and damage their lives, relationships, jobs, finances, property, safety.

Would you be willing to intervene in a true manic episode? Would you be willing to experience a manic episode yourself? Would you be willing to have a disorder that causes you to spend most days fatigued and thinking of ways to kill yourself?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

A child is born to a parent with severe mental illness. (Not the child's fault, won't even argue about the parent because their responsibility is irrelevant to the child's responsibility.) As a result of the severe and poorly treated mental illness, the child grows up in poverty as mom can't work and SSI checks aren't all that lavish. The child also grows up with skewed views on reality or a serious emotional disorder due to the extenuating life events they have been trying to live through.

When that child is 18, with no life experience outside of what the child grew up with, and has a serious eating disorder, self-mutilates, and cannot stop thinking about suicide, what is it that they have to do? Mom can't create tens of thousands of dollars. Kid can't either. Kid can't function to even be able to consider taking a job to pay for treatment, and would likely only get a low paying job that has crappy benefits and the kid can't even afford the copay or deductible even if the insurance is rockin'. No one to cosign a loan.

This may not be a reality in your world. That doesn't mean it isn't out there. And it's not one person in the country. There are lots of families that people care little about or just don't even realize that they exist.

Why is someone with severe mental illness practicing unsafe sex (assuming they aren't using any form of birth control because it's pretty difficult to become pregnant when you use birth control correctly), knowing there's a high chance of becoming pregnant? That individual can't even take care of themselves, let alone a child. What would lead them to believe they are capable of raising a child?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Right, like filing for disability so you will have health care and not have to live in deplorable conditions while trying to get healthy? You do understand that not everyone's parents have tens of thousands of dollars to "do what they have to do?"

Are you over 18? Why are your parents paying? Why aren't you doing what you have to do on your own?

Because I'm a 21 year old who is in school. My parents don't expect me to be able to shovel out tens of thousands of dollars. Any parent who does is a bit unrealistic.

Now if I was working full-time then I'd be able to. But I chose education instead.
  • Maitria
    Options

Why is someone with severe mental illness practicing unsafe sex (assuming they aren't using any form of birth control because it's pretty difficult to become pregnant when you use birth control correctly), knowing there's a high chance of becoming pregnant? That individual can't even take care of themselves, let alone a child. What would lead them to believe they are capable of raising a child?

You dodged the child, who is not responsible for the parent's sexual practices.

But to answer your question, reasons that someone with a severe mental illness may become pregnant:

Rape, prostitution, birth control failure, desire to have a child to love, love, enjoyment of sex, hypersexuality and risky sexual behaviors are actually symptoms of serious disabling mental illnesses, a history of sexual abuse that has resulted in unsafe sex practices or beliefs which are not as easily treated if the mental illness is severe enough.

But you dodged. I want to know what this 18 year old should do. Not that kid's fault how or why mom got pregnant.
  • Maitria
    Options

Because I'm a 21 year old who is in school. My parents don't expect me to be able to shovel out tens of thousands of dollars. Any parent who does is a bit unrealistic.

Now if I was working full-time then I'd be able to. But I chose education instead.

Unreasonable like expecting parents that may make $30,000-$40,000 a year to be able to shell out tens of thousands a year for a child's eating disorder?

You could be working full-time and getting your education and paying for things yourself. Your parents are doing what they choose to do, you are not doing what you want others to do because for you, to go to school, it's unrealistic. But people with scant resources are supposed to be able to create money to help their child dying from anorexia because it's just not ok in your world for eating disorders to be taken seriously? You do realize you are stating that you are more entitled to get an education (bluntly, from social support, since you are over 18) than a parent is entitled to seek financial assistance to save their child's life?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Unreasonable like expecting parents that may make $30,000-$40,000 a year to be able to shell out tens of thousands a year for a child's eating disorder?

You could be working full-time and getting your education and paying for things yourself. Your parents are doing what they choose to do, you are not doing what you want others to do because for you, to go to school, it's unrealistic. But people with scant resources are supposed to be able to create money to help their child dying from anorexia because it's just not ok in your world for eating disorders to be taken seriously? You do realize you are stating that you are more entitled to get an education (bluntly, from social support, since you are over 18) than a parent is entitled to seek financial assistance to save their child's life?

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

You are very lucky to have the life you do, not everyone does. You have a very simplistic view of the world and seem to be very sheltered. I don't hold that against you, I was pretty sheltered until I started my career. I just hope some day you can see the other side of things a little clearer. I don't wish these things on anyone.
  • Maitria
    Options
    Oh, and I shelled out way more than tens of thousands of dollars for my education. My parents couldn't pay for it. My education was my choice. Your medical treatment after age 18? Your responsibility, not mom and dad's. They are helping you, that's nice, it's great that they can, I would help my child in your situation if I could too. But your position right now is being sponsored.

Not everyone can sponsor a 21 year old.

(I couldn't pay for it either. My soul belongs to various student loan companies. I was fortunate to have someone eligible to cosign.)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Choices and parents with largess to support you into adulthood must be nice to have.