Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    The OP either gave up or is trying to back squat 160 lbs to see what its like.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Having never dealt with depression, I don't think I can comment.

Obese, morbidly obese, super obese etc. is definitely in my opinion debilitating and can facilitate a whole host of medical issues.
    It's sad really, but even sadder is to judge when I've never been in that position.

Agreed.

To me it's like saying lung cancer isn't a disabling if you got it from smoking. Or liver failure if you got it from doing drugs. Or having lost both legs while playing chicken with a train. Doesn't matter how you got there, once you're there, you're not able to do what you used to do, therefore you are disabled.

Not to say everyone who can reverse such a condition shouldn't try, but they'll likely have much more success with some help.

Yes, if a person arrives at one or more of those conditions, they do have a disability. However, if the reason they got lung cancer was from smoking; lost their legs playing chicken with a train, do we, as a society, owe them the same level of empathy and or assistance that we have for those who are disabled through no fault of their own?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

However, being OBESE or MORBIDLY OBESE does.

Im Obese and I can jog..So I disagree:wink:

Morbidly obese and can jog. And jump up onto 6' walls. And work as hard as anyone else.

/shrug

So you weigh 350+ lbs and can jump up onto 6' walls?

325+ with a BMI of around 43ish. And yes, yes I can.

That's awesome man.

It is all about body composition and lifestyle. I am reasonably active and am one of those that got fat due to depression.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

But we all know that you're not normal....you're wheird. :laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I think that it was construed properly. I'm not sure anybody has yet addressed the passive aggressive behavior toward your co-worker...

Was it passive aggressive or completely lacking in empathy?

Outside of silicon valley, are sociopathic behaviors considered a disability, like depression?
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you are a girl with 10 lbs too much and you think you are "fat", obviously it is not a disability. If you are an individual of 400 lbs or more that needs huge assistance to move, it is.

Can you do something? saying there is something you can do about it may be a bit too simplistic. You do not know the condition that brought a person to get there.

Could have they done something earlier? probably, but they didn't.

If you fall and break your back and become handicaped, using the reasonning "there is something you can do about it", you could say, you should have attach yourself, or whatever (playing the devil's advocate here). SO yes, there is almost always something you can do about it for everything. But for those persons if was not done, so I will say yes, in some case it is a disability.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yes, if a person arrives at one or more of those conditions, they do have a disability. However, if the reason they got lung cancer was from smoking; lost their legs playing chicken with a train, do we, as a society, owe them the same level of empathy and or assistance that we have for those who are disabled through no fault of their own?

Yes.

That's not even a question. Morally and legally.
  • wheird
    Options

But we all know that you're not normal....you're wheird. :laugh:

Wheird is as wheird does. And he does it right!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

Morbidly obese and can jog. And jump up onto 6' walls. And work as hard as anyone else.

/shrug

That's awesome man.

It is all about body composition and lifestyle. I am reasonably active and am one of those that got fat due to depression.

Exhibit A: Bam Bam Bigelow

This guy wrestled at weights fluctuating from 300-425lbs and could jump and do mostly everything the smaller guys could. Totally legit.

FLO_1_td17bam1_227751_1117.jpg
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    OP

DO me a favor, go load up 160#'s on an Olympic bar hoist it up on your back and go walk a mile. Come back to this thread after and tell me how disabled you feel. Please go try, not trying to be an *kitten* at all, but I think once you feel what the people you are talking about do you might feel differently.

But work up to is really slowly - like 1 pound a month. That's what everyone does as they gain weight. You should be fine once you get there. And by that logic, an overweight person's muscles should be stronger than that of a regular weight person who doesn't lift.

Yeah. Actually when an overweight person diets, they are generally stronger than a person who has always been the weight. You do, in fact, build muscle to carry around fit. It's a bit silly to think that you don't.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Being obese or morbidly obese most definitely can be a disability because it often interferes with normal activity, even with no underlying health problems. Whether it is subject to FMLA is dependent on other factors. In some cases, yes, and in other cases, no. That's a matter that is determined by those whose job it is to make distinctions. It isn't my job, and I'm guessing that it isn't the OP's job, either. Yes, some obese people are more than capable of performing job functions, but some aren't. It isn't for me to determine if it's a disability or not because I don't work in that field or see the specific case file. As for OP's coworker with the lap band, my guess is her distaste for her as a person leads to her being overly judgmental of the woman. OP doesn't like her, so she's looking for more reasons to justify the dislike. It shows a distinct character flaw, and a disappointing one at that.

Judging what other people purchase at a grocery store is lame. Eating only clean foods or lean meat and veggies is whoever's prerogative, but I don't walk around the grocery store judging those sorts of people for thinking they're better than the rest of us who like to bring home frozen pizzas and pop tarts.

There are plenty of thin people out there gaming the system when it comes to FMLA, SSD and SSI. I'd be willing to bet that if you look at the statistics on it, people gaming the system would look just like the overall population with respect to the percentages of obese versus normal weight.

^ I like you:)

She is awesome, isn't she?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think that it was construed properly. I'm not sure anybody has yet addressed the passive aggressive behavior toward your co-worker...

Was it passive aggressive or completely lacking in empathy?

Outside of silicon valley, are sociopathic behaviors considered a disability, like depression?

Lacking in empathy would be just stating the question here on the message board.

But the OP made it pretty clear that she was singling out a co-worker.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I know, I know, everyone's having a good time judging the OP for judging. I'm kind of the party pooper...

There is an important legal question here: what constitutes a disability that legally entitles one to receive benefits?

Does anyone know? Surely there must be a protocol for determining these kinds of things. Any legal people out there? Medical people?
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The Judgy McJudgersons are out in full force today. I know - it takes one to know one and I am too often guilty.

^^ Very much this... on both sides.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The OP either gave up or is trying to back squat 160 lbs to see what its like.

Crap. Now she's hurt her back and we're all going to have to pay for her choices when she stops being able to work because of it.
  • wheird
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

/shrug

That's awesome man.

Exhibit A: Bam Bam Bigelow

This guy wrestled at weights fluctuating from 300-425lbs and could jump and do mostly everything the smaller guys could. Totally legit.

FLO_1_td17bam1_227751_1117.jpg

His backflips used to trip me out!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are why did you feel the need to post this?

And that your view on depression is ignorant.
    How is the view from way up there, OP?
    Once again, judgment is judgment. It comes easily, for there is no personal responsibility in judging others. Having insight and empathy are qualities of substance that at your age, should already be in place.

^All these
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I know, I know, everyone's having a good time judging the OP for judging. I'm kind of the party pooper...

There is an important legal question here: what constitutes a disability that legally entitles one to receive benefits?

Does anyone know? Surely there must be a protocol for determining these kinds of things. Any legal people out there? Medical people?

I think that was covered by page 2. A doctor has to complete FMLA paperwork.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Lots of things can make you disabled. For instance lacking empathy and compassion can stunt your ability to see how horrendously to behave to other human beings. I am sure special modifications are made to accommodate people with these disabilities.

Heavy eye rolling and such.

Yes. I'm undecided about the topic but the lack of empathy is totally distracting. I've gotten so frustrated reading this whole thing because this unteachable OP is impervious to new information and unable to examine her own behavior. Waste of time.

^And all of the above x100000000000000000
  • dbmata
    Options
    I really thought I'd find the lack of empathy surprising. In fact, I don't, I totally expect it from this forum at this point.

We keep it classy round these parts.