Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    To the man judging his "lazy" neighbor, how about you? You know her so well, why not try including her? Does it make you folks feel good about yourselves to speak about others with such righteous overtones? Grow up already.

I include her as little as possible. I tolerate her because my wife doesn't have as big of an issue with her as I do. As I stated before, being fat and lazy is only one of her problems....she is a sack of s**t. She games the welfare system, she was/is a s**ty mother (two of her three kids are in prison). She's had numerous dogs taken away because she'll just open her front door to let them do their business, and some people have been bitten (not to mention she leaves the dog crap all over the place). I could go on and on. Why? Because I know this woman. I'm not generalizing about everyone, I'm speaking of one person that I know.

As for growing up, do you know me, or this woman? Nice to meet you, kettle.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    OP

DO me a favor, go load up 160#'s on an Olympic bar hoist it up on your back and go walk a mile. Come back to this thread after and tell me how disabled you feel. Please go try, not trying to be an *kitten* at all, but I think once you feel what the people you are talking about do you might feel differently.

But work up to is really slowly - like 1 pound a month. That's what everyone does as they gain weight. You should be fine once you get there. And by that logic, an overweight person's muscles should be stronger than that of a regular weight person who doesn't lift.

Yeah. Actually when an overweight person diets, they are generally stronger than a person who has always been the weight. You do, in fact, build muscle to carry around fit. It's a bit silly to think that you don't.

Very true, my legs are like tree trunks I had a body comp test done last night, calves are 18" round, thighs are 25 1/2" round.. :laugh:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

However, being OBESE or MORBIDLY OBESE does.

Im Obese and I can jog..So I disagree:wink:

Morbidly obese and can jog. And jump up onto 6' walls. And work as hard as anyone else.

/shrug

So you weigh 350+ lbs and can jump up onto 6' walls?

325+ with a BMI of around 43ish. And yes, yes I can.

That's awesome man.

It is all about body composition and lifestyle. I am reasonably active and am one of those that got fat due to depression.

Exhibit A: Bam Bam Bigelow

This guy wrestled at weights fluctuating from 300-425lbs and could jump and do mostly everything the smaller guys could. Totally legit.

FLO_1_td17bam1_227751_1117.jpg

His backflips used to trip me out!

He was also more active than a lot of people are. He had a goal and succeeded.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I think that it was construed properly. I'm not sure anybody has yet addressed the passive aggressive behavior toward your co-worker...

Was it passive aggressive or completely lacking in empathy?

Outside of silicon valley, are sociopathic behaviors considered a disability, like depression?

Lacking in empathy would be just stating the question here on the message board.

But the OP made it pretty clear that she was singling out a co-worker.

That lead to my second question. Her post struck me as a touch socio, particularly regarding that coworker.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Being fat is no more a disability than being redheaded or having big calves. They want to call it a disability? Fine- let's give them special parking spots- the ones as far away from the door of the business as possible.
  • jnichel
    Options
    Yes, if a person arrives at one or more of those conditions, they do have a disability. However, if the reason they got lung cancer was from smoking; lost their legs playing chicken with a train, do we, as a society, owe them the same level of empathy and or assistance that we have for those who are disabled through no fault of their own?

Yes.

That's not even a question. Morally and legally.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. As a former smoker, should I develop lung cancer in the future because of it, I do not want, nor do I think I deserve empathy and assistance from society. I was stupid for smoking in the first place. Stupid shouldn't be rewarded.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow OP. I think I figured out why you are so angry. Took a look at your diary and it's scary. 900, 800, 600 cal days? WHOA. Maybe you might consider that keeping your body properly fueled isn't only important to your physical health, but your mental well being too.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP

DO me a favor, go load up 160#'s on an Olympic bar hoist it up on your back and go walk a mile. Come back to this thread after and tell me how disabled you feel. Please go try, not trying to be an *kitten* at all, but I think once you feel what the people you are talking about do you might feel differently.

Anyone volunteer to have me carry them for a mile? I would try this challenges sounds fun. it like the farmers walk workout but way harder.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Having never dealt with depression, I don't think I can comment.

Obese, morbidly obese, super obese etc. is definitely in my opinion debilitating and can facilitate a whole host of medical issues.
    It's sad really, but even sadder is to judge when I've never been in that position.

Agreed.

To me it's like saying lung cancer isn't a disabling if you got it from smoking. Or liver failure if you got it from doing drugs. Or having lost both legs while playing chicken with a train. Doesn't matter how you got there, once you're there, you're not able to do what you used to do, therefore you are disabled.

Not to say everyone who can reverse such a condition shouldn't try, but they'll likely have much more success with some help.

Yes, if a person arrives at one or more of those conditions, they do have a disability. However, if the reason they got lung cancer was from smoking; lost their legs playing chicken with a train, do we, as a society, owe them the same level of empathy and or assistance that we have for those who are disabled through no fault of their own?

Do we or should we?

I try to remember that people who are eatting too much, or smoking too much or drinking too much are hurting themselves and I may now know or understand the reason but it's probably there.

I am not saying I can't be a judgemental b!#@*, but I try to stick to things that won't screw so much with my karma...like taste in music or politics:wink:
  • wannabehealthyagain
    Options
    For those saying that obese people shouldn't use the motorized scooters at stores, I want to point out that just because I am doing something about my weight does not mean that I am currently able to bee-bop all over the place. I personally hate it that I have to use the scooters, but it is where I am right now. I'm getting stronger and I believe that soon, very soon, I will be able to do small store trips without using one. Don't automatically judge a person using one of those things, you just don't know what's going on.

As for if it's a disability....going by the definition posted within this forum, yes...for me, it is....but only for now. My mobility is currently nowhere near where I want it to be but I am at the very beginning of changing that.

Btw, most Walmart stores only have 2 or 3 working motorized carts, if that. They should have more considering the variety of reasons someone would need one. Age, arthritis, medical conditions, broken foot/leg and yes, extreme obesity. You can't tell what that severely overweight person is doing in their life to make changes simply in passing them in a store and judging them based ONLY on their current appearance. What if they JUST started? You just don't know.

All of that said, I do think people/companies are WAY too sensitive. People call me fat all the time...to my face AND behind my back. You know what though?? You can't fight with the truth. I did this to myself....and I'm un-doing it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I really thought I'd find the lack of empathy surprising. In fact, I don't, I totally expect it from this forum at this point.

We keep it classy round these parts.

Like most MFP posts, it's how you read them. There's about one *kitten* per page. The overwhelming consensus is that the OP is a douche.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I work at Vocational Rehabilitation, and I can tell you that as a state agency that works with people with disabilities, it CAN BE considered a disability. We use it for eligibility when it is related to diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, etc. and when a person is considered morbidly obese. A disability is defined as a condition that impacts a persons ability to perform a job, so you cannot possibly tell me that a person who has diabetes that is not controlled and weight 350 lbs does not have limitations. In these cases, it is my job to help the person get their diagnoses under control, including healthy weight loss.

Ah ha! Here it is! Actual facts for those of you interested in the answer to the OP's question.

I imagine this may vary somewhat state-by-state.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    For those saying that obese people shouldn't use the motorized scooters at stores, I want to point out that just because I am doing something about my weight does not mean that I am currently able to bee-bop all over the place. I personally hate it that I have to use the scooters, but it is where I am right now. I'm getting stronger and I believe that soon, very soon, I will be able to do small store trips without using one. Don't automatically judge a person using one of those things, you just don't know what's going on.

As for if it's a disability....going by the definition posted within this forum, yes...for me, it is....but only for now. My mobility is currently nowhere near where I want it to be but I am at the very beginning of changing that.

Btw, most Walmart stores only have 2 or 3 working motorized carts, if that. They should have more considering the variety of reasons someone would need one. Age, arthritis, medical conditions, broken foot/leg and yes, extreme obesity. You can't tell what that severely overweight person is doing in their life to make changes simply in passing them in a store and judging them based ONLY on their current appearance. What if they JUST started? You just don't know.

All of that said, I do think people/companies are WAY too sensitive. People call me fat all the time...to my face AND behind my back. You know what though?? You can't fight with the truth. I did this to myself....and I'm un-doing it.

Good for you.

We all have our reasons for being here. Some of them are really, really compelling. But none of us will be able to improve ourselves unless we take personal responsibility for our choices.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    the question rather should be how much shame should one feel for giving oneself a disability, right? /sarcasm
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    “Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

:flowerforyou:
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I know, I know, everyone's having a good time judging the OP for judging. I'm kind of the party pooper...

There is an important legal question here: what constitutes a disability that legally entitles one to receive benefits?

Does anyone know? Surely there must be a protocol for determining these kinds of things. Any legal people out there? Medical people?

I think that was covered by page 2. A doctor has to complete FMLA paperwork.
    Thank you. I had missed that -- it's actually on page 3.
  • jnichel
    Options
    Having never dealt with depression, I don't think I can comment.

Obese, morbidly obese, super obese etc. is definitely in my opinion debilitating and can facilitate a whole host of medical issues.
    It's sad really, but even sadder is to judge when I've never been in that position.

Agreed.

To me it's like saying lung cancer isn't a disabling if you got it from smoking. Or liver failure if you got it from doing drugs. Or having lost both legs while playing chicken with a train. Doesn't matter how you got there, once you're there, you're not able to do what you used to do, therefore you are disabled.

Not to say everyone who can reverse such a condition shouldn't try, but they'll likely have much more success with some help.

Do we or should we?

I try to remember that people who are eatting too much, or smoking too much or drinking too much are hurting themselves and I may now know or understand the reason but it's probably there.

I am not saying I can't be a judgemental b!#@*, but I try to stick to things that won't screw so much with my karma...like taste in music or politics:wink:

I think most of us do have the empathy. Whether we should is a philosophical question that I'm not qualified to answer, and I'm sure my opinion isn't going to be a popular one.

However, I will say this: Your taste in music is bad, and you should feel bad. :laugh: :drinker:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Under the ADAAA morbid obesity is considered a disablity if it substantially limits at least one of the major life activities, such as walking.

Unless you need time off work for medical reason you probably won't get FMLA just for being fat. If you have a medical condition that needs to be taken care of because of your weight, yes. Or if you need an accommodation under the ADAAA and can't currently perform the esssential job tasks because of your weight, you may take FMLA while the interactive process happens.

Although *some* doctors will write almost anything as long as they get the copay. :laugh:
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't think being fat in itself can be labeled a disability. It is lazy and making an excuse in my opinion to use disability and fat in the same sentence. It can be harder to lose weight if you truly have a thyroid issue. But the thyroid issue is the disability not being fat.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yes.

That's not even a question. Morally and legally.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. As a former smoker, should I develop lung cancer in the future because of it, I do not want, nor do I think I deserve empathy and assistance from society. I was stupid for smoking in the first place. Stupid shouldn't be rewarded.

Rewarded would mean given a good thing.

Being helped out with cancer - that's so the opposite of a good thing that I'm a little baffled.