What's your secret?

Options

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I get compliments on my happy, upbeat, positive attitude.
    I just ensure that i wake up in the morning with a fresh clear head and start my day off with a smile and positive thinking.

It's amazing what that does for a person!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm completely cheap and use promo codes on everything. I even stack promo codes on promo codes on promo codes and get name brand clothes ridiculously cheap. Like really really cheap.
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Eat less
    Move more
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    Program the coffee pot to automatically start around the same time your alarm goes off in the morning. The smell of fresh coffee helps me get up on those mornings when I'd rather press snooze.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Money.

I make far less than anyone I know (just got a raise to $12.19/hr), but I consistently have more disposable income and savings than everyone I know.

My friends make $16-$18/hr and I'm the only one that ever has $$ (despite I'm a single mom with dependents and they have none or theirs are grown!)

I also manage to have nice things, bought myself a car with cash, pay all my own rent and bills with no government assistance, good drinks, vacations etc.. etc.. with less income than my peers.

It's ALL about budgeting.

Each month I account for all my money down to the very last penny and use a spread sheet to determine how much I spent per category.

And long-term savings! Sometimes I can only save a small amount, or I spend more than I save, but savings is very important.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I get complimented most on how happy and positive I am all the time. I am extremely disorganized, broke most of the time (even though I am SUPER cheap), up and down with weight loss and fitness....my secret to happiness?? I dunno, "chill out and relax"!

I may be disorganized but I always end up finding my keys at one point and everything that is 'important' gets done.

You can't take money with you..I have used my money to travel to more places most people will ever go and my bills get paid, my dog has food and my car gets filled with gas etc.

Up and downs with weight loss...I still never let my weight get out of control and I have always been 'fit' because I do the things I love..exercise and eat....yep my secret to everyone is "relax and chill out'!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I was a phoenix in my previous life! ;)

In all seriousness, my dad passed when I was 18, I had been 18 for a week, graduated HS two weeks before he died. House fire. I had to start fr scratch after being out of HS less than a month. I was homeless, couch surfing, the whole bit AND had lost my dad.

Fast forward a couple years, I had a kid, got married, then had another kid. After being married for 6 years, I left my ex-husband when my 2nd child was 4 months old, no job, no car, minimal clothing. And guess what? Started over @ 26. Got a job in 2 weeks as a temp (btw, i'm still @ the same company!!!)

That was 12 years ago this past April! Now I'm a home owner, one kid has graduated HS, the other in middle school, I have a retirement account, savings and am working on paying off my truck. I have home owners, life insurance and all the things my dad DID not have when he passed. Oh and I've been at the same company for 12 years, the same place I got the temp job at.

Looking back at it all, in those tough moments, I didn't think I was gonna make it. It humbled me and forced me to look at my life very carefully.

I don't know what was scarier, losing my dad right after HS and being homeless. Or being job & car-less with two dependents relying on me for EVERYTHING. I think the 2nd, because taking care of oneself is less stress, IMO.

yup, I was a phoenix because when it came down to it, I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, started kicking *kitten* and taking names! I had lots of people banking on their belief that I would fail, it felt (and still does) pretty darn good to prove them WRONG! :)
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    I'm completely cheap and use promo codes on everything. I even stack promo codes on promo codes on promo codes and get name brand clothes ridiculously cheap. Like really really cheap.

Supersaver.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    I was a phoenix in my previous life! ;)

In all seriousness, my dad passed when I was 18, I had been 18 for a week, graduated HS two weeks before he died. House fire. I had to start fr scratch after being out of HS less than a month. I was homeless, couch surfing, the whole bit AND had lost my dad.

Fast forward a couple years, I had a kid, got married, then had another kid. After being married for 6 years, I left my ex-husband when my 2nd child was 4 months old, no job, no car, minimal clothing. And guess what? Started over @ 26. Got a job in 2 weeks as a temp (btw, i'm still @ the same company!!!)

That was 12 years ago this past April! Now I'm a home owner, one kid has graduated HS, the other in middle school, I have a retirement account, savings and am working on paying off my truck. I have home owners, life insurance and all the things my dad DID not have when he passed. Oh and I've been at the same company for 12 years, the same place I got the temp job at.

Looking back at it all, in those tough moments, I didn't think I was gonna make it. It humbled me and forced me to look at my life very carefully.

I don't know what was scarier, losing my dad right after HS and being homeless. Or being job & car-less with two dependents relying on me for EVERYTHING. I think the 2nd, because taking care of oneself is less stress, IMO.

yup, I was a phoenix because when it came down to it, I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, started kicking *kitten* and taking names! I had lots of people banking on their belief that I would fail, it felt (and still does) pretty darn good to prove them WRONG! :)

Resiliance.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    I get complimented most on how happy and positive I am all the time. I am extremely disorganized, broke most of the time (even though I am SUPER cheap), up and down with weight loss and fitness....my secret to happiness?? I dunno, "chill out and relax"!

I may be disorganized but I always end up finding my keys at one point and everything that is 'important' gets done.

You can't take money with you..I have used my money to travel to more places most people will ever go and my bills get paid, my dog has food and my car gets filled with gas etc.

Up and downs with weight loss...I still never let my weight get out of control and I have always been 'fit' because I do the things I love..exercise and eat....yep my secret to everyone is "relax and chill out'!

Serenity.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Money.

I make far less than anyone I know (just got a raise to $12.19/hr), but I consistently have more disposable income and savings than everyone I know.

My friends make $16-$18/hr and I'm the only one that ever has $$ (despite I'm a single mom with dependents and they have none or theirs are grown!)

I also manage to have nice things, bought myself a car with cash, pay all my own rent and bills with no government assistance, good drinks, vacations etc.. etc.. with less income than my peers.

It's ALL about budgeting.

Each month I account for all my money down to the very last penny and use a spread sheet to determine how much I spent per category.

And long-term savings! Sometimes I can only save a small amount, or I spend more than I save, but savings is very important.

Industrious.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Program the coffee pot to automatically start around the same time your alarm goes off in the morning. The smell of fresh coffee helps me get up on those mornings when I'd rather press snooze.

Programmed motivation.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Any more tips?
  • DrDMcKenzie
    DrDMcKenzie Posts: 106
    Options
    I create a template for every recurring activity (within reason).

I follow plans, and create new ones before solving complex problems.

As a journalist and fiction writer I listen to music in the appropriate mood while writing, which gives me inspiration.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I get complimented by how awesome and amazingly trained my husband is.

Secret: lots and lots of.......bribery.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Strive to be a better person.

Optimism.
    Positive internal voice.
    Humility.
    Being a light.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    I create a template for every recurring activity (within reason).

I follow plans, and create new ones before solving complex problems.

As a journalist and fiction writer I listen to music in the appropriate mood while writing, which gives me inspiration.

Templates are great, and taking time before jumping into things is smart.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Strive to be a better person.

Optimism.
    Positive internal voice.
    Humility.
    Being a light.

Fantastic!
  • CJisinShape
    Options

So that's the secret!
  • CJisinShape
    Options

So that's the secret!:laugh: