Sweat? Is it actually melted fat?

Options
So I've been sweating a lot either from cooking or cleaning or it being summer ect and I was Woundering if that's litterally meaning I'm burning that much fat or if it is just water. Feeling kinda hopeful.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I really hope you're joking.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So I've been sweating a lot either from cooking or cleaning or it being summer ect and I was Woundering if that's litterally meaning I'm burning that much fat or if it is just water. Feeling kinda hopeful.
    You probably just need to adjust the thermostat on the wall.

Let's be honest here. Were you cooking and cleaning when you gained weight? Yeah, probably so. Don't count on that to lose weight. Meet your calorie goal each day. That is all.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to say something nice or not say it at all. That being said, sweat is in no way an indication of anything other than your glands releasing a watery substance onto the skin in order to cool the body down. If we're sweating due to an emotional response, like anxiety, sweat is released from a different gland, but for the same reason-keeping you cool. Turn up the AC :)
  • DaniJeanine
    Options
    No, I go in and out on the boards since about 2011. I just think it's sad that people find amusement in the misunderstandings of others. Leave her alone if you don't have anything constructive to say.
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As much as I wish it was, it isn't!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I had a good chuckle at this, thanks.

When we exercise, your body's temperature starts to increase. Sweat glands secrete sweat (surprisingly) and that is a method to cool us down.

Watch the fat just melt away! Sweating more doesn't mean you lose more fat, it just means you're hotter and your body is trying to cool itself down.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to say something nice or not say it at all.

Uhm, no one has said anything mean. Sensitive much. That being said, yes, it's melted fat...you can fry vegetables in it. :wink: But seriously, it's just your bodies way of regulating temperature. :flowerforyou:
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited.

What did I miss?
  • DaniJeanine
    Options

Uhm, no one has said anything mean. Sensitive much. That being said, yes, it's melted fat...you can fry vegetables in it. :wink: But seriously, it's just your bodies way of regulating temperature. :flowerforyou:

Uhm, yes they did. Unless wishing that people don't have kids and making fun of their inspirations on their profile is nice. But it's not. So ya know, read before you post. :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

When your body starts to work harder, it heats up. When that happens, it sweats to cool itself down (as the water it sweats from the pores evaporates, your body cools). The fat itself is broken down to be used as energy. So, in a round about way, you do know that when you are working hard enough to break a sweat, you are working hard enough to cause your body to break down fat for energy.

It's important to break a sweat when exercise or working if you want to burn fat to lose weight, so yes, when sweating it does mean you are burning fat. Keep feeling hopeful! If you are sweating you are burning fat!
  • diazte
    diazte Posts: 1
    Options
    This is exactly right!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Honestly, you should feel foolish just for saying what you did... you cannot fry vegetables in sweat. It's salt water, not melted fat.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately sweetie it is just water, oh and salt. There are motivational posters etc that say 'Sweat is fat crying' - but that's basically just a "damn this workout is hard but it's worth it" think happy thoughts to get through it.
  • DaniJeanine
    Options

What did I miss?

Just went back, they were deleted.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Can you imagine how greasy you'd be if sweat was melted fat? And how many grease stains your clothes would have?

The reality is that sweat is fat crying. :wink:
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you new here?! :huh:

I'm new here and I think that response was much needed. Not everybody comes here with a wealth of knowledge. Some might even be a little ignorant, but the fact that a few people insist an acting like a sarcastic jerk is hardly a good justification for acting like a sarcastic jerk.

I'm not pointing to a particular person here, neccessarily, but it's pretty disappointing to see how some of the people on his thread tried to put down the OP for asking a simple biology question.

As I understand it, the fairly successful goal of this site is to be a resource for people to improve their health. It may have taken courage for the OP to ask that simple question and challenge her own misconceptions about what sweat is.

Attacking the OP says a lot more about the commenters character and self respect than it does about the OP.

I hope you have not discouraged her growth.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No, I go in and out on the boards since about 2011. I just think it's sad that people find amusement in the misunderstandings of others. Leave her alone if you don't have anything constructive to say.

This too.