Options

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    OHP
    Bench
    Pullups

if i did just what i really wanted to it would be this, or maybe even weighted dips instead of bench.

but i'd have to be a good boy and sub squats for OHP
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    The deadlift thread got me thinking, just out of curiosity, if you could do only 3 exercises in the gym for the rest of your life, what would they be?

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

i love all 3 and this would give you the best muscle balance IMO

OK, pendlay rows, does the barbell touch the ground? is it supposed to?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Weighted:
    Squats
    DL
    Rows

Body weight:
    pistol squats
    pull ups
    push ups
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Upright rows
    Straight leg deads
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Variations aloud?
    Squats, DL and pull ups!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    The deadlift thread got me thinking, just out of curiosity, if you could do only 3 exercises in the gym for the rest of your life, what would they be?

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

negative. it can, but i do them in the power cage starting from around hip height (and then back up to give myself room) if im feeling lazy

eta; if you mean during the lift then the answer is no, you'd have to be bent over pretty far to do this. the plates are usually about 6" off the ground at full extension of my arms when i do them
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Deads
    C&J

Assuming I couldn't include a complex lift in my choices.
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Good Mornings, Deadlifts and of Course Squats
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Deads, Bench, and Clean jerks
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

negative. it can, but i do them in the power cage starting from around hip height (and then back up to give myself room) if im feeling lazy

eta; if you mean during the lift then the answer is no, you'd have to be bent over pretty far to do this. the plates are usually about 6" off the ground at full extension of my arms when i do them

video of Glenn Pendlay demonstrating the Pendlay row: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

ETA: to answer the question - yes the bar should be on the floor at the start and the end of each rep. See the video for the rest of the advice about correct form.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    squat and deadlift

I'd be torn between bench, pendlay rows, dips and pull-ups for the 3rd.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Squats, Deadlifts, Bench
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Glute Bridges, ROmanian deadlifts, and Military press (??) why only three
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bench press, squats, deadlifts

Non-lifting? Push ups, sit ups, sprints.

That's exactly mine word for word...do I know you?
  • BigT555
    Options

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

video of Glenn Pendlay demonstrating the Pendlay row: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

ETA: to answer the question - yes the bar should be on the floor at the start and the end of each rep. See the video for the rest of the advice about correct form.
    interesting. will definitely adjust my form after seeing this
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You specified IN the gym, so I'm going to leave out stuff I like that I can do without gym equipment (ie: pullups and pushps).

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Press

I'm new to OHP, but really enjoying them so far.
    Bench is easier to drop as I can only do partial reps. I've dislocated my shoulder twice and full range of motion bench is NOT pleasant.

What I'd miss most: bent over rows and variations.
    I'd also miss the treadmill that paces my intervals and tempo runs for me, and let's me run when there's a Canadian winter raging outside...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

my review/research has shown the pendlay as a sub for the power clean- it's supposed to be an explosive lift- from the floor.

A barbell row =/= a pendlay row
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

With Pendlay rows the weights should touch the ground between each rep, much like with a deadlift. If the plates do not touch you are doing barbell rows, not Pendlay rows.

That said, I would probably go with neutral grip pull-ups, deadlifts, and bench press. though squats, chins and pendlays were considered
  • BigT555
    Options

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

With Pendlay rows the weights should touch the ground between each rep, much like with a deadlift. If the plates do not touch you are doing barbell rows, not Pendlay rows.
    until i saw that video i though they were essentially the same thing
  • BigT555
    Options
    Glute Bridges, ROmanian deadlifts, and Military press (??) why only three
    just for the sake of discussion. its been a slow day at work