3 Lifts for the rest of your life

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The deadlift thread got me thinking, just out of curiosity, if you could do only 3 exercises in the gym for the rest of your life, what would they be?

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

i love all 3 and this would give you the best muscle balance IMO

OK, pendlay rows, does the barbell touch the ground? is it supposed to?
    negative. it can, but i do them in the power cage starting from around hip height (and then back up to give myself room) if im feeling lazy

eta; if you mean during the lift then the answer is no, you'd have to be bent over pretty far to do this. the plates are usually about 6" off the ground at full extension of my arms when i do them

With Pendlay rows the weights should touch the ground between each rep, much like with a deadlift. If the plates do not touch you are doing barbell rows, not Pendlay rows.
    until i saw that video i though they were essentially the same thing

The beauty with the Pendlay, you can pull more weight for the same reps compared to regular rows.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I approve of this thread but am curious why all of the women are listing squats over glute bridges??
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I approve of this thread but am curious why all of the women are listing squats over glute bridges??

Compound lifts = more muscle groups worked
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'd do lifts I actually enjoy and deal with the muscle imbalances I'd obviously have!

-Deadlifts
    -Front Squats (love them, hate Back Squats)
    -Bicep Curls (see avatar)
  • missdibs1
    Options
    Hence the OHP and deadlift choice.... I could not live without doing either kettlebell swings or glute bridges
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Lots to learn.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The deadlift thread got me thinking, just out of curiosity, if you could do only 3 exercises in the gym for the rest of your life, what would they be?

for me;
    -Overhead press
    -Deads
    -Pendlay rows

i love all 3 and this would give you the best muscle balance IMO

OK, pendlay rows, does the barbell touch the ground? is it supposed to?
    negative. it can, but i do them in the power cage starting from around hip height (and then back up to give myself room) if im feeling lazy

eta; if you mean during the lift then the answer is no, you'd have to be bent over pretty far to do this. the plates are usually about 6" off the ground at full extension of my arms when i do them

With Pendlay rows the weights should touch the ground between each rep, much like with a deadlift. If the plates do not touch you are doing barbell rows, not Pendlay rows.
    until i saw that video i though they were essentially the same thing

Love that video reference it all the time and have it in my favorites...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yes dis...I don't do hip thrusts or glute bridges atm...will wait and maybe add them when I switch to 5/3/1 but for now will stick to my deep squats.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Because... maybe... preference?
  • missdibs1
    Options
    Apparently I am the only lacking in the goddess booty department
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Squats, dead lifts, bench press. Not very original, but can you blame me? :tongue:
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

BINGO

If I had to pick my favs that I just enjoy doing it would be military press, curls, and situps without the 35lb weight on my belly. :laugh:
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Don't look at me!

I was blessed ALL over.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Yes dis...I don't do hip thrusts or glute bridges atm...will wait and maybe add them when I switch to 5/3/1 but for now will stick to my deep squats.

I still do them, and love them, but if I can only have three lifts I'm not choosing something so focused.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Squats work so much more of the body than glute bridges. I don't do squats to get a nice butt - that's just a nice side effect. I do lifting because I want to be really strong. I'd like to compete at powerlifting at some point in the future.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

maybe you should do squats instead of glute bridges.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Burpees, pushups, overhead press.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts and the leg press if that counts....other wise I'll choose squats twice!!!
  • missdibs1
    Options
    Burpees, pushups, overhead press.

oooh I like your choices

(I have a love hate relationship with the burpee)

NOONE is choosing plank (interesting)
  • missdibs1
    Options
    ok EVERYONE RELAX

i DO SQUATS (Lots of them)

Please no more snarky comments

I only ask because I have started Strong curves and am seeing great results

Discuss