How to spot a catfish?

Options

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I don't Skype, so I must be a catfish. Meh.

Yeah, but do you KIK?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Also kind of wondering...is catfish a term for females?

When men do it is it called being a dogpickle?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    now i'm gettng hungry...does catfish taste good with fries?

I am sure it does....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    <
    Not a catfish....even though I ain't showing my face.

Apart from the fact that your real name is Veronica and you're a hairdresser....

OMG!!!!:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

You promised you wouldn't tell.....

I feel so violated.....beeshes be crazy

You do a lovely perm though!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Also kind of wondering...is catfish a term for females?

When men do it is it called being a dogpickle?

:laugh:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

yea, no, because I'm not into exchanging nudes.... a few of my MFP friends have met me in person, though. :smile:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

I am sure it does....

Is there any other way? Fish and chips are soulmates
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would say they aren't willing to Skype, seem too good to be true or always make up reasons why they can't see you.. or at least those seem to be the biggest signs on "catfish" on MTV lol
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Other people mentioned reverse image search on google. You can also search their phone number for contact information and see if the name matches. If they are unwilling to show you a picture that proves it is them (i.e holding newspaper, wearing something you ask them to, etc) or video chat then something is funky. If they aren't willing to meet up relatively soon if you are nearby, if they make up excuses when you are nearby not to visit, if they refuse to talk on the phone or make up reasons why they can't. If it looks fishy... trust your instincts.
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    I take it this is an ironic question? isn't that the whole point in a catfish? lol
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    By using common sense?
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options

In the southern states, it's not uncommon to see people eat catfish with cheese grits. Sounds disgusting but it is oddly delicious.... lol
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    By using common sense?

...and intuition. It's not that hard unless you're a complete desperate moron.
  • jnichel
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

yea, no, because I'm not into exchanging nudes.... a few of my MFP friends have met me in person, though. :smile:

I FOUND THE CATFISH!!!! :wink: :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    <
    Not a catfish....even though I ain't showing my face.

Apart from the fact that your real name is Veronica and you're a hairdresser....

OMG!!!!:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

You promised you wouldn't tell.....

I feel so violated.....beeshes be crazy

You do a lovely perm though!

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    Options

Yeah, but do you KIK?

I use KiK w/ two people
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    they refuse to skype

I refuse to Skype because I'd never get anything done, it's hard enough as it is. If I got to start speaking out loud to all of my peeps I would have to stop sleeping.
  • jnichel
    Options
    By using common sense?

...and intuition. It's not that hard unless you're a complete desperate moron.

You rang?
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda embarrassed but I've been there.

They want an immediate relationship. They will send long love letters almost immediately - copy/paste them into Google and see if they come up under scam websites. Reverse image search. They are almost always widow/widower, some kind of engineer for a petroleum company and working overseas in Europe or Africa. They will say all the right words. They refuse to meet in person or talk on the phone and if they do Skype it will be a dark background. If they talk on the phone they will have a deep accent even though they are American or British or whatever nationality they give. They promise to take care of all your problems and ride you off into the sunset on a beautiful white horse. If you continue speaking a potential catfish they will have a terrible accident shortly into a job, such as their passport was taken, they can't get their equipment into the country because of an unknown tax, they've been on the contract but can't pay their hotel bill, they have to pay land use taxes, their kid gets hurt and sent to the hospital, they get diagnosed with cancer, etc., all stuff that seems legitimate and tugs at your heart strings.

I recently caught two in a row on a dating website. Statistics say that 1 out of 10 profiles are catfish but I think it's higher or I am a prime target. After I reported them the website kicked them off within minutes.

There are some good scam websites that you can pay to have profiles checked out as well, just Google for them. I'd rather spend $10-20 now than lose what I lost in the past and never get back.

Also trust your intuition about this, if you feel there is something wrong there is probably something wrong. Look for red flags. If you want to PM me I will give you more details.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Call these guys.

iXKYmKI.jpg