1200 Calorie a day diet. Can it be healthy?

Options
I know that many people on here believe that a 1200 calorie a day diet is not sufficient to a healthy weight loss plan. Here is an example of one and please comment on if it is or isn't.

Breakfast; 2 eggs, 2 toast, 1 Tbl margarine
Lunch; 4 oz Tilapia, 2 cups steamed mixed veggies, 1/2 cup rice
Dinner; 4 0z chicken breast, 2 cups steamed veggies, 1/2 cup pasta
Snacks; 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup grapes Total Calories 1203

You can sub 4 oz of ground turkey for an additional 20 calories,
sub 1/2 mashed potatoes or baked potatoes no additional calories.
Steamed veggies can vary according to your taste except no peas or corn. Adjust calories according to types of veggies
Peas and corn can sub for starch.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person and how active they are. I didn't do well sticking to 1200. I could do it, but not long term. And I don't like the idea of having a single # as a goal but a range. So 1200-1500 would be more reasonable IMO.

A note: log solid food based on weight, not cups. Will be more accurate that way.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    for someone who is very small, its fine. but for a larger person this diet still wouldnt provide adequate macronutrients
  • christullos
    Options
    I am talking about some one who doesn't work out and has a desk job.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    my BMR is over 2000, so even if i sat in bed all day 1200 is too little no matter what its made up of
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    And who is trying to lose weight and has fat calories to burn, presumably.

I have 1200ish days. They don't look that dull, but almost. I do have to focus on lean protein and produce but also include some 'treats'. My BMR is in the 1300s so it's no biggie for me.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 calories a day and I live a sedentary lifestyle. Not really by choice. I just have a stay at home job! Here is an example of what I eat in a day...

Breakfast: egg whites and vegetable omelet with light juice
    Lunch: salad or lettuce wrap with lean meat, or lean meat with corn tortilla tacos with vegetables
    Snack: Fruit & Dairy
    Dinner: Chicken, Fish, or Garden Burgers with two sides of vegetables, sometimes a starch or bread
    Dessert: Fruit, Bread, or dairy

I don't know, I feel like I'm getting accurate nutrition with this, at least I am according to the food pyramid, or plate. Whatever they are calling it. My plate. Although, I'd love to know if I'm NOT getting good nutrition with it. The macros are always fine everyday...
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If youve got alot to lose though, wouldnt you eventually stall or have to dip below 1200 to continue losing? MFP, i think, after every 10 lbs lost subtracts the amount of daily calories so that you are consistently losing.

Ive done the 1200 thing before and ended up stalling after about 15 lbs.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty small and if I cook all my meals I can probably eat a healthy 1200 day.
    I still have my goal higher than that. I say- if you can eat more and still lose, why not?
    If you can eat 1200 and feel satisfied, go for it.
    As long as you keep tabs on your moods, energy levels, general health (skin/hair are good indicators), hunger level etc, you could theoretically do it.
    The one thing is if you deprive yourself too much it is likely to backfire. So just make sure to be level headed about it.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 15 lbs on a diet much like the one you posted. 1200 calories a day of pretty boring food. I am 5'1" and started at 143 lbs. I wasn't working out, and I have a desk job. After a few months, I added exercise and ate the exercise calories back. I now eat closer to 1500 calories a day to lose, and 1800 to maintain, and always eat exercise calories back.
    So, to answer your question? Yes, it can be healthy for the right person in the right situation. And not long term.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know that many people on here believe that a 1200 calorie a day diet is not sufficient to a healthy weight loss plan.

It depends on the person's size and calorie needs. It wouldn't be a particularly high deficit for me at all, if I were sedentary or even just lightly active, no extra exercise. And even back when I started more than 50 lbs ago it really wasn't.

I don't currently do 1200, but I think the idea that it's presumptively bad or unhealthy is inaccurate.

Whether it's healthy for you requires more information, like your size and sex and activity level. (You seem to be a man, for example.)

I'd be bored on that particular menu, but it's personal choice (my 1200 days can be found throughout my diary, but mostly toward the beginning--I think they were pretty healthy). I ate lots of vegetables and a variety of types of meat (including fish) and of course eggs and dairy and only about 30% carbs, because that was most workable for me with a low calorie limit and an interesting and satiating menu based on my personal taste. But of course taste is going to vary by person, and same with what's satisfying.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I know that many people on here believe that a 1200 calorie a day diet is not sufficient to a healthy weight loss plan. Here is an example of one and please comment on if it is or isn't.

Steamed veggies can vary according to your taste except no peas or corn. Adjust calories according to types of veggies

The food you listed seems quite healthy. You have a good mix of veggies, fruit, and protein. However, for a man 1200 calories is typically too low. 1200 calories is normally the low # for women. For men it is closer to 1500. If you are set on doing a low calorie diet then maybe add one or two snacks to get to 1500 or eat a little more at one of your meals. I am not sure your height and weight but based off your ticker it seems you are restricting yourself more than you need too. It is normal to want to drop all the weight fast but slow and steady is usually better for long term results. Good luck.
  • ashgirl95
    ashgirl95 Posts: 48
    Options
    I think your best bet would be to use this link: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and calculate your BMR based off your weight and lifestyle (there's an option for sedentary) and create a meal plan based off those calories. Your BMR is the amount of calories you should be eating just for your body to perform daily functions, so you be eating AT LEAST that much.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter if you eat more calories than you burn off but all healthy foods, you'd still be putting on weight, right? It's the same thing. 1200 calories, no matter if it is healthy foods, may still not be leading to a healthy outcome for a particular person. Me, for example. I am 5'9, 69kg and only have 4kgs left to lose. The 'health' of it all depends on the height and weight of the person and how much they have to lose.

If it is not enough for a person to safely and steadily lose weight, fuel their body, mind and workouts and get enough vitamins etc, then it is not healthy for them personally.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

The issue isn't whether you are getting enough micronutrients. The issues are whether you are:
    - Meet your macros (I'd say your example is under your daily fat requirements), and
    - Are getting enough calories overall to support your activity level, your compliance with your diet and your ability to maintain your muscle mass.

I probably meet my micronutrient needs on 1200 calories or a touch more. And then I have another 1000 to eat tasty, tasty food and still get the body I want.
  • christullos
    Options
    This is just an example of a menu. The point is if most of my food intake consists of veggies and fruit while limiting my carbs, sugar and fat while eating lean proteins. How could this be unhealthy as many on this forum claim? no mood swings or lack of energy. Feeling better than I have in along time.

I have walked with a cane for the past two years. Now I don't

I am a retired Chef and do almost all of my own cooking. Trained in nutrition too, being the Head Chef at a hospital for some time.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't work out and I have 2 desk jobs. And I don't work out due to injuries. I found I wasn't making the progress I wanted on 1200 calories. My TDEE was 1798, I am 5 ft 4 in. That gives me a calorie limit of 1520 for weight loss. So I increased my limit to 1400.

I don't think I could stay on 1200 calories for life and this is a lifestyle change; 1400 is much more reasonable for me, but what might work for me may not work for you. You may want to make changes as you go until you find what works for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If youve got alot to lose though, wouldnt you eventually stall or have to dip below 1200 to continue losing? MFP, i think, after every 10 lbs lost subtracts the amount of daily calories so that you are consistently losing.

For me it was lots easier to be active as I lost weight and simply built up my stamina. I doubt this is uncommon. Thus, I actually have increased my calories as I've lost without significantly decreasing my rate of loss (other than since the very beginning, when one loses more than expected usually if one is quite heavy). At this point I do expect to decrease my rate of loss unless I decrease calories back down (I'm at 1400 now, but often eat more due to exercise calories and am not planning to cut calories much unless I cut activity), but this is supposed to be how it works according to MFP conventional wisdom--that is, when you are 20 lbs from goal you generally will be losing at a slower rate than if you are 80 lbs from goal, of course.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter. Even for a sedentary person, 1200 is almost ALWAYS too low to meet dietary needs.

I am five foot flat, and my BMR is 1280. So unless you're smaller than me (my condolences :laugh:) 1200 will not be a healthy goal for you.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    This is just an example of a menu. The point is if most of my food intake consists of veggies and fruit while limiting my carbs, sugar and fat while eating lean proteins. How could this be unhealthy as many on this forum claim? no mood swings or lack of energy. Feeling better than I have in along time.

I have walked with a cane for the past two years. Now I don't

I am a retired Chef and do almost all of my own cooking. Trained in nutrition too, being the Head Chef at a hospital for some time.

Then why are you asking us?

Also, I'd question your nutrition training if you think low fat is the way to go. Dietary fat is very necessary for body functions.