1200 Calorie a day diet. Can it be healthy?

Options

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    This is just an example of a menu. The point is if most of my food intake consists of veggies and fruit while limiting my carbs, sugar and fat while eating lean proteins. How could this be unhealthy as many on this forum claim? no mood swings or lack of energy. Feeling better than I have in along time.

I have walked with a cane for the past two years. Now I don't

I am a retired Chef and do almost all of my own cooking. Trained in nutrition too, being the Head Chef at a hospital for some time.
    you've got your answer a number of times. lack of macronutrients

just because you feel well doesnt mean its healthy
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It can be healthy if fully controlled, but in practice, it usually isn't.

As a ex-chef, and having gone through some culinary pro focused nutrition training, I'd strongly suggest reviewing current literature. What I was taught in the 90s does not jive with what science has shown.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is just an example of a menu. The point is if most of my food intake consists of veggies and fruit while limiting my carbs, sugar and fat while eating lean proteins. How could this be unhealthy as many on this forum claim? no mood swings or lack of energy. Feeling better than I have in along time.

I have walked with a cane for the past two years. Now I don't

I am a retired Chef and do almost all of my own cooking. Trained in nutrition too, being the Head Chef at a hospital for some time.

You should talk to your doctor about your dietary needs, perhaps they can refer you to a dietitian.

If you are eating too little...well, that's a self-limiting problem unless you have an eating disorder. Why don't you come back in 6 weeks and let us know how its going for you?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I did a nutritional database thing. And this (in my calculations, obviously it could be tweaked)...

(1) came to 1450 calories
    (2) had too little Vitamin D, C, E, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc (for me, a 38 yo woman, YMMV)
    (3) contains trans fat (in the margarine)

But that's just me.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I did a nutritional database thing. And this (in my calculations, obviously it could be tweaked)...

(2) had too little Vitamin D, C, E, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium and zinc (for me, a 38 yo woman, YMMV)

But that's just me.

There you go.

Lovely answer, by the way.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever survive on 1,200 calories a day. I might have to hurt someone. :-D Your "menu" looks very healthy though, and if you can do it, that's great!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I know that many people on here believe that a 1200 calorie a day diet is not sufficient to a healthy weight loss plan. Here is an example of one and please comment on if it is or isn't.

Breakfast; 2 eggs, 2 toast, 1 Tbl margarine
    Lunch; 4 oz Tilapia, 2 cups steamed mixed veggies, 1/2 cup rice
    Dinner; 4 0z chicken breast, 2 cups steamed veggies, 1/2 cup pasta
    Snacks; 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup grapes Total Calories 1203

You can sub 4 oz of ground turkey for an additional 20 calories,
    sub 1/2 mashed potatoes or baked potatoes no additional calories.
    Steamed veggies can vary according to your taste except no peas or corn. Adjust calories according to types of veggies
    Peas and corn can sub for starch.

but....but... what about dessert?
  • jdietdiary
    Options
    It's perfect.
  • WBB55
    Options

:blushing:
    I hate to say it's not healthy. Obviously it's fine for one day. But when someone is quite overweight, and they're eating like this for a looooong time to lose the weight, I just always am concerned about an accumulation of deficiencies. Particularly iron in women. A lot of our processed grain foods are fortified, but when people cut out grains, they miss all those fortified starch products. There's pluses and minus to that, I guess.

(His particular plan was also only 63% of folate, but I assume that's really just a pre-menopausal woman recommendation. I don't know much about micronutrient recommendations for men)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    As an aside - why restrict so heavily? It's unnecessary - you don't look especially short, you're male and you're not THAT old so your metabolism is probably decent. A bit more food, and you'd have MORE energy, be better able to preserve LBM, and would have some more freedom in choices for mental wellbeing.

Edit for spelling.
  • likitisplit
    Options

:blushing:
    I hate to say it's not healthy. Obviously it's fine for one day. But when someone is quite overweight, and they're eating like this for a looooong time to lose the weight, I just always am concerned about an accumulation of deficiencies. Particularly iron in women. A lot of our processed grain foods are fortified, but when people cut out grains, they miss all those fortified starch products. There's pluses and minus to that, I guess.

(His particular plan was also only 63% of folate, but I assume that's really just a pre-menopausal woman recommendation. I don't know much about micronutrient recommendations for men)

I go by the week as well, but this is the menu we were given to assess and that's what you did.

Iron, potassium and magnesium play a huge role in my general well-being.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

But that's just me.

There you go.

It assumes that people are totaling up their vitamins/mineral per day, at any calorie level. I don't know anyone who does that, nor have I ever ran across anyone who does that, or anyone or any plan that recommends that or even suggests that. There is no need to meet every level of every item every day anymore than there is to meet every macro % every meal or every hour.

Plus it assumes people who wish to insure against missing vitamins daily wouldn't just take a multivitamin supplement or eat enriched foods.
  • WBB55
    Options

But that's just me.

There you go.

It assumes that people are totaling up their vitamins/mineral per day, at any calorie level. I don't know anyone who does that, nor have I ever ran across anyone who does that, or anyone or any plan that recommends that or even suggests that. There is no need to meet every level of every item every day anymore than there is to meet every macro % every meal or every hour.

Plus it assumes people who wish to insure against missing vitamins daily wouldn't just take a multivitamin supplement or eat enriched foods.

I 100% agree
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I can lose weight and it hasn't killed me yet. I'll let ya'll know if it ever does.
  • likitisplit
    Options

But that's just me.

There you go.

He wanted us to assess a single day, which he detailed. He didn't mention a multivitamin.

It was found to lack several vitamins, to be well over 1200 calorie and probably deficient in fat as well.

We can't assess the likelihood of him doing something that wasn't mentioned on a different day, but we might imagine him doing. If that had an impact on health, I'd look like a super model by now.

If he wants to include a weekly diet plan, with all supplements, we could look at that as well, but he'd be better off consulting a dietician.
  • aihunni
    aihunni Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who WAS recommended a 1200cal/day based on height (5'1") - by a nutritionist, might I add - it's not enough. Assuming I was sedentary, which I am not, my BMR is 1350. When I tried 1200 for a good couple weeks, not only was I starving between meals, my meals never really felt satisfying. And if you do a large deficit below your body's BMR? You risk burning a decent amount of muscle along with minimal levels of fat. If weight loss=weight loss in your book, and you can survive off of 1200, go for it. But if you want optimum weight loss and a number isn't the only thing you want to see, I recommend figuring out your BMR and at the very /least/ sticking to that number.

Add in the fact I do 1.5hrs in the gym now, pretty much exclusively with weights and ~20 mins of cardio as a cooldown, 1350 wasn't cutting it, let alone 1200. Upped myself to 1650 (as per the IIFYM calc.) and only now do I feel satiated and happy.
  • WBB55
    Options

But that's just me.

There you go.

He wanted us to assess a single day, which he detailed. He didn't mention a multivitamin.

It was found to lack several vitamins, to be well over 1200 calorie and probably deficient in fat as well.

We can't assess the likelihood of him doing something that wasn't mentioned on a different day, but we might imagine him doing. If that had an impact on health, I'd look like a super model by now.

If he wants to include a weekly diet plan, with all supplements, we could look at that as well, but he'd be better off consulting a dietician.

The plan he listed was actually VERY low in calcium. With only 259 mcg. I didn't see high calcium vegies like kale or spinach mentioned in the alternates/subs, no cheese, no milk, no almond milk. Calcium is required for the heart to function (not to mention bone health). Personally, I'd aim for more calcium in my food. But supplements can help supplement deficiencies in the foods we eat.

Edit to add: that might be a fine number for a man, that I haven't studied up on. But it's pretty low in the case of a woman following it. Again, without adding in the calcium rich greens, dairy or a supplement.
  • christullos
    Options

Also, I'd question your nutrition training if you think low fat is the way to go. Dietary fat is very necessary for body functions.

This menu will give you enough dietary fat. I really watch my saturated fats.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I know that many people on here believe that a 1200 calorie a day diet is not sufficient to a healthy weight loss plan. Here is an example of one and please comment on if it is or isn't.
    I guess it depends on one's definition of 'healthy'. For me, it would be fine. For others, it isn't. With your background, I would think you'd be ok making that judgment for yourself.

It looks a lot like diet/healthy eating plans you see in books, especially low fat diet plans. Margarine has been out of favor for a while, so it does look a bit dated in that respect.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If youve got alot to lose though, wouldnt you eventually stall or have to dip below 1200 to continue losing? MFP, i think, after every 10 lbs lost subtracts the amount of daily calories so that you are consistently losing.

Ive done the 1200 thing before and ended up stalling after about 15 lbs.

Everyone eventually stalls (temporarily) unless they can keep the same or greater deficit all of the time. It's usually due to normal weight fluctuations masking slower and slower weight loss, if it's not due to inaccurate logging.

No, you wouldn't need to dip below 1200 unless your TDEE at your desired weight is < 1200. Unless you have some form of dwarfism, it won't be. One of the methods to lose weight and ease into maintenance is to simply eat the TDEE you are projected to have at your goal weight. Then you never need to change your eating habits. Your diet while cutting is the same as your diet while maintaining once you reach your goal. Pretty neat, but it does take a loooong time to drop those last couple of pounds.