Sugar Addiction Help

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I finally beat sugar by eating it, every day, as part of my left over calories after the 100g protein, carbs and fats.

It's my slave , not my master!

Now, where's the frikkin ice cream?
  • KAstapova
    KAstapova Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to my fitness pal. I wanted to offer everyone suffering from sugar addiction who is struggling with "willpower" and "changing your habits" an AMAZING thing that worked for me - I've only been doing it two days. It is called the "eat green tea" "diet". You don't DRINK the tea, you EAT it. It sounds "stupid" or "too easy", but I was AMAZED at how it changed my life in the very FIRST DAY. Simplified, the people who have done it and lost LOTS of weight are doing the following: (1) NOT changing their diet (it CHANGES BY ITSELF as you eat the tea), (2) NOT exercising (many are so overweight and lethargic that exercise is EXTREMELY difficult), they become more active as they consume more tea. (3) they EAT three green tea bag contents per day and THEN "step it up" by adding 1 then 2 then 3 bags (or more) of OOLONG tea a day in the same way.
    To "EAT" it all you do is open a bag and: stir it into foods like yogurt, sprinkle it onto foods like rice or chicken or pour it into your mouth or onto your hand then mouth and swish it down with water.
    Almost immediately it took away all my cravings. When you get cravings, simply take some tea and water (with food). I have high blood pressure which I have been working on ( it was 215/165) first with meds (Lisinopril) then with herbs (rubber tree and blue dogbane and raw tienchi powder) because I couldn't tolerate the RX. I was WORRIED I wouldn't be able to take the green tea because of the caffeine, but I am GREAT. The ONLY caution I would make was I noticed a little spike when I took it after a meal with water. It works MUCH BETTER when taken with a meal.
    Another consideration (that wasn't a concern for me) was that some people get nauseated - again - from taking it without food, after meals etc. One youtube video suggested sprinkling it on everymeal you have and adding THREE to any "heavy" meal or restaurant meal. You need to build up your "tolerance" and to YOUR "dose" - everybody is different.
    If you google green tea / oolong tea for weight loss, you will find some very "conservative" studies that do not match the Youtube testimonials. EX - one lady went from 165 to 114 without exercise or diet change - a soda drinker, sugar addict, etc. And KEPT DOING IT while taking the green tea - but her tastes changed, and whenever she wanted to make a change, it was POSSIBLE with the green tea, no "willpower" needed, just the CHOICE. A man's video shows 80 lbs wt loss, etc.
    You can't beat the "price" of such an amazing FOOD - and it not only BURNS fat, but BLOCKS fat as well as adjusting your appetite and metabolism. You WANT to be more active. And you just don't want all the "bad stuff". The best source I found for ORGANIC green, oolong, decaf green and black tea (which I plan to use for Kombucha) is swanson's vitamins.
    I hope this information is helpful to lots of you struggling with "curbing your appetite" etc.
    Best wishes to all.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to my fitness pal. I wanted to offer everyone suffering from sugar addiction who is struggling with "willpower" and "changing your habits" an AMAZING thing that worked for me - I've only been doing it two days. It is called the "eat green tea" "diet". You don't DRINK the tea, you EAT it. It sounds "stupid" or "too easy", but I was AMAZED at how it changed my life. Simplified, the people who have done it and lost LOTS of weight are doing the following: (1) NOT changing their diet (it CHANGES BY ITSELF as you eat the tea), (2) NOT exercising (many are so overweight and lethargic that exercise is EXTREMELY difficult), they become more active as they consume more tea. (3) they EAT three green tea bag contents per day and THEN "step it up" by adding 1 then 2 then 3 bags (or more) of OOLONG tea a day in the same way.

Strong 1st post; tea bag eating, reducing cravings. I'll just let that one alone; you may have posted in the wrong section AND wrong thread AND wrong site.
  • crogala
    crogala Posts: 3
    Options
    Sugar is addictive. It causes the release of dopamine in your brain which is a 'feel good' chemical. That acts in receptors in your brain and causes you to want more. This is usually from refined sugars, but can also be from other sugars such as the breakdown of starch in genetically modified bread. That starch is amylopectin. Read Wheat Belly, by William Davis. Many of the foods you crave are designed to make you addicted to them; everything from the appearance to the taste in your mouth. It's a huge industry. Women, Food & God is a great book by Geneen Roth that addresses the emotional component of eating based on her own life experience and what finally helped her accomplish a permanent normal weight. Dr. Robert Lustig, who is a Pediatric Endocrinologist, has several books out about sugar. He has a lecture called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" that was posted on You Tube. He has also lobbied for better food labels.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    otcg.gif

No but seriously, sugar is not an addictive substance. Your body craves quick energy, sugar provides that. If you're concerned about getting proper nutrients, maybe try eating fruit instead of sugary candy or whatever.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This right here.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Sugar is addictive. It causes the release of dopamine in your brain which is a 'feel good' chemical. That acts in receptors in your brain and causes you to want more. This is usually from refined sugars, but can also be from other sugars such as the breakdown of starch in genetically modified bread. That starch is amylopectin. Read Wheat Belly, by William Davis. Many of the foods you crave are designed to make you addicted to them; everything from the appearance to the taste in your mouth. It's a huge industry. Women, Food & God is a great book by Geneen Roth that addresses the emotional component of eating based on her own life experience and what finally helped her accomplish a permanent normal weight. Dr. Robert Lustig, who is a Pediatric Endocrinologist, has several books out about sugar. He has a lecture called "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" that was posted on You Tube. He has also lobbied for better food labels.

dopamine and sugar and exercise. . . .'feel good' chemical. . . .yes, so go exercise and eat sugar!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

No but seriously, sugar is not an addictive substance. Your body craves quick energy, sugar provides that. If you're concerned about getting proper nutrients, maybe try eating fruit instead of sugary candy or whatever.

There are studies that would suggest sugar actually does stimulate the same parts of the brain as other drugs.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sugar+addictive
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I found the cranberry chocolate trailmix by planters measured out and put some in some snack bags to help me with the sugar rush attacks lol I pretend I am eating a nice Kripsy kreme donut
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've been bingeing on graham crackers. They're probably as bad as cookies. I need to quit cold turkey. At the moment I'm in an inpatient treatment facility (for my mental illness) and there's all this yummy food around, crackers, corn bread, things I'd addicted to. I'm also an alcoholic and can't have "just one" of anything, but can't resist it if it's in front of me. At home I don't even bring refined carbs into my house. To anyone who's addicted to sugar, I suggest this approach.
  • kamiept
    kamiept Posts: 15
    Options
    I gave up sugar and it was unsustainable for me. I have found that for me it was more important to learn how to limit myself so that when I had access to it I did say to myself "I cant control myself" I know that it is just a food it doesn't have power over me. I usually buy what I want myself to eat, every once and I while (I know this sounds dumb) I will buy a candy bar and tell myself that I will work it into my calories in a few days so that I have to have it in my house and have the power to not consume it. I think that everyone is different but for me giving sugar made it that more powerful and desirable. If I know I can have it but I chose when I allow it in my diet it helps me not feel deprived.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    At home I don't even bring refined carbs into my house.

^THIS works pretty well - if it ain't there, you can't eat it.
  • kiwigirl007
    kiwigirl007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey. Once you get past the first 3 days it gets alot easier and the cravings will gradually stop.

I could never just have a little bit of chocolate, it is all or nothing for me.

I'm the same way! But it's true. I was on Fuhrman's Eat to Live Diet for a year. The first few days off sugar were killer - monster cravings and terrible headaches. After that (and NO CHEATING) my body gradually lost interest in processed sugars, and I wasn't tempted by the sweets I saw others eating. I learned the feeling of REAL satisfaction that comes from whole foods, and natural sugars like those in fruit. :)

JUST QUIT. The cravings are in your brain. Overpower it. When you're craving, GO DO SOMETHING. Get outside. Read a book. (LEAVE THE KITCHEN!) Drink some water. And don't think for a SECOND that you can have just one bite. :D
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    What did you do to beat sugar?

with a stick of course :laugh:

Seriously, just knock off the overly sugary stuff :flowerforyou: but do enjoy some once in a while as a treat
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    For me white bread was like a gateway drug :) I literally would butter a piece of wonder bread and coat it in white sugar. Ok, I know that sounds repulsive, and it probably was, but I loved it.

Nope, sounds good to me. Toast that sugar with a little blow torch and you've got a Wonder Bread Brulee :)

Not crazy. I used to add cinnamon to mine.
    I haven't made it in a decade. I can still feel the crunch of the sugar and all that buttery cinnamon goodness. Completely kicks Cinnabon's *kitten*.
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Those that talk about moderation are not taking into account Insulin Resistance. So if you already have the markers for Metabolic Syndrome which many on this board are... then an occasional brownie or working sweets into your macros for carbs might not have the same consequences as those that are not Insulin Resistant. I'm not sure if just reducing your sugar intake can reverse your Insulin Resistance - it's an area that's not addressed well and I've not seen research that addresses this specifically. Regardless of your personal decision to omit or just limit added sugars please do whatever you can to prevent Type 2 Diabetes as it is one of the most terrible preventable diseases know to man - it pretty much guarantees the last 20 years of your life will be a never-ending, ever worsening nightmare. If the egg-heads ever conclusively link ADDED sugar as the primary risk factor for Type 2 diabetes and not just secondary to obesity then maybe some of these food companies will compete with each other by reducing the amount of sugar they place in their products rather than increasing them. Anyway I know these normal size parents who have these normal size kids - the other day these kids asked their mom if they could have a snack and the mother said sure - as long as it's a meat, cheese, or nuts... I thought that was pretty outstanding parenting.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I've been bingeing on graham crackers. They're probably as bad as cookies. I need to quit cold turkey. At the moment I'm in an inpatient treatment facility (for my mental illness) and there's all this yummy food around, crackers, corn bread, things I'd addicted to. I'm also an alcoholic and can't have "just one" of anything, but can't resist it if it's in front of me. At home I don't even bring refined carbs into my house. To anyone who's addicted to sugar, I suggest this approach.

Good luck with your treatment. I remember putting on a lot of weight when I stopped drinking, which made me even more miserable!

I've learned to moderate everything, it's taken me many years, but I've tamed the monkey brain. I rarely get cravings or binges, and nothing is off limits. I must admit I don't tend to buy many refined treats, not having them in the house really helps, but there's ice creams and chips going on on a daily basis. Just small amounts. Same with wine, I don't buy bottles for in the house, just the odd glass once a week or so.

Ahhhhh moderation how I love thee.....
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Those that talk about moderation are not taking into account Insulin Resistance. So if you already have the markers for Metabolic Syndrome which many on this board are... then an occasional brownie or working sweets into your macros for carbs might not have the same consequences as those that are not Insulin Resistant. I'm not sure if just reducing your sugar intake can reverse your Insulin Resistance - it's an area that's not addressed well and I've not seen research that addresses this specifically. Regardless of your personal decision to omit or just limit added sugars please do whatever you can to prevent Type 2 Diabetes as it is one of the most terrible preventable diseases know to man - it pretty much guarantees the last 20 years of your life will be a never-ending, ever worsening nightmare. If the egg-heads ever conclusively link ADDED sugar as the primary risk factor for Type 2 diabetes and not just secondary to obesity then maybe some of these food companies will compete with each other by reducing the amount of sugar they place in their products rather than increasing them. Anyway I know these normal size parents who have these normal size kids - the other day these kids asked their mom if they could have a snack and the mother said sure - as long as it's a meat, cheese, or nuts... I thought that was pretty outstanding parenting.

When your body fat gets to a healthy place, this can all be reversed. I found it gets easier and easier the fitter I get to metabolise. I'm eating more calories too. I swear my whole system has gone back in time. My son is 9. He is slim and extremely active. He eats everything in sight but there's always lots of protein and fat and veggies/fruit in most of his meals. He's growing up with the 80/20 thing going on.
  • justisroyster
    justisroyster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Here's my thesis. If you stop eating it, you will no longer crave it. Just stop for a week or two and you will ask yourself why you even liked to eat sweets. It worked for me and it's worth a shot.