Sugar Addiction Help

Options

Replies

• kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Such a polarizing topic. I'm just gonna go with the AHA and WHO guidelines and limit my added sugar intake to < 25 grams per day - that's not unreasonable. Added sugars in excess of those recommendations have been shown to increase risk factors for disease. That's good enough for me - No wonder everybody is confused - I work in a hospital and last night I was checking out the unit fridge ( where we keep refreshments for patients) inside was a shelf of apple juice, cranberry juice, and orange juice. The next shelf was dedicated to cokes, sprite, power aide ( diet and regular). Then at last is the dairy shelf with chocolate milk, low fat, and skim. Don't worry though our pharmacy is fully stocked with brand new bottles of insulin. Have a great day!
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Are we just going to ignore the fact that someone wrote a super long run-on paragraph about eating tea bags? Lolol I just can't shake it. Ha
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Are we just going to ignore the fact that someone wrote a super long run-on paragraph about eating tea bags?
    Yes.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    - No wonder everybody is confused - I work in a hospital and last night I was checking out the unit fridge ( where we keep refreshments for patients) inside was a shelf of apple juice, cranberry juice, and orange juice. The next shelf was dedicated to cokes, sprite, power aide ( diet and regular). Then at last is the dairy shelf with chocolate milk, low fat, and skim. Don't worry though our pharmacy is fully stocked with brand new bottles of insulin. Have a great day!

I don't find that confusing at all.

Many people can drink fruit juice, soft drink ,milk drinks etc in moderation and still be a healthy weight and not be diabetics.
    For that matter, many diabetics can drink small amounts of juice and milk and still have good BSL's - and of course they can drink diet sodas.
    also, many diabetics need something sugary on hand, such as regular soft drink or jelly babies, in case of hypo's.

I work in a medical centre too - we have many 'contradictory' products - eg insulin and also weight gain supplements like Sustagen.
    Doesn't mean same people are using both products at same time or that both products, used appropriately, contradict or confuse anything.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Are we just going to ignore the fact that someone wrote a super long run-on paragraph about eating tea bags? Lolol I just can't shake it. Ha

But you must balance those tea bags with proper nutrition and exercise!
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe "confusing" was the wrong word. However diabetic patients or not most items in the referenced fridge are dietary garbage. I do concede to your point though that everybody is not on a restricted diet and such items could be available to them as refreshments. Certainly the world is not black and white.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Maybe "confusing" was the wrong word. However diabetic patients or not most items in the referenced fridge are dietary garbage. I do concede to your point though that everybody is not on a restricted diet and such items could be available to them as refreshments. Certainly the world is not black and white.

What makes them garbage? Have they spoiled in some way?
  • Eperkins2882
    Eperkins2882 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible time with sweets. I have always craved anything sweet. In the past I tried to not eat anything with sugar and it didn't work. This time I am trying a new approach. I allow myself one thing sweet a day and I generally wait to eat it after dinner as a desert. I decide in the morning what I want my desert to be, weather it is a piece of cake, ice cream, etc. Honestly, I don't feel bad about it one bit and I haven't gained any weight because of it. So, don't deny yourself something that you want. Just work it in to your calories.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    sugar ran over my cat and slept with my wife.

i hate sugar! :angry:
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of these 'baiting' posts lately. One question, only one or two posts from the OP, no stats, no pics...

Hmm interesting point!
  • eberbiz10
    eberbiz10 Posts: 2
    Options
    Splenda or equal works for me. Iam on atkins and decided to make cheesecake with equal and I didnt notice any difference! Yummmmmyy
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Recovering sugar addict here. This is what has helped me: Keeping myself full/satisfied with nutrient-rich foods, primarily lean protein, fat (like cheese or nut butters), and veggies, a slightly smaller amount of fruit, and a smaller amount of rice or gluten-free crackers/pasta etc. When you are hungry, never reach for sweets first. This is hard at first, but trust me. Reach for fat/protein and veggies. Reaching for fruit is ok too but remember that the fiber in veggies and fat and protein are what will keep you full! When you are giving your body all the nutrients it needs from eating a balanced diet, it is way easier to stave off the physical side of cravings. This video is good intro to how to read your body's cravings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqWHDaie-g

Also, if you find you are still needing a sweet, drink a glass of water! I am a person who naturally does not reach for water enough, I have to force myself to drink enough. If your body is thirsty, you may be reading those signals as sugar cravings.

Consider cutting down on white bread/pasta or eliminating them all together, by the way. They are full of empty calories, which means that even after eating hundreds of calories worth of those foods your body will still need nutrition, causing you to have hunger and uncontrollable cravings.

Feel free to add me if you need a MFP friend. Good Luck!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Recovering sugar addict here. This is what has helped me: Keeping myself full/satisfied with nutrient-rich foods, primarily lean protein, fat (like cheese or nut butters), and veggies, a slightly smaller amount of fruit, and a smaller amount of rice or gluten-free crackers/pasta etc. When you are hungry, never reach for sweets first. This is hard at first, but trust me. Reach for fat/protein and veggies. Reaching for fruit is ok too but remember that the fiber in veggies and fat and protein are what will keep you full! When you are giving your body all the nutrients it needs from eating a balanced diet, it is way easier to stave off the physical side of cravings. This video is good intro to how to read your body's cravings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqWHDaie-g

Also, if you find you are still needing a sweet, drink a glass of water! I am a person who naturally does not reach for water enough, I have to force myself to drink enough. If your body is thirsty, you may be reading those signals as sugar cravings.

Consider cutting down on white bread/pasta or eliminating them all together, by the way. They are full of empty calories, which means that even after eating hundreds of calories worth of those foods your body will still need nutrition, causing you to have hunger and uncontrollable cravings.

Feel free to add me if you need a MFP friend. Good Luck!

Good on you. There have only been two times in my entire life when I didn't either overeat or want to overeat (not counting having a stomach bug!): When I was low carb, high fat, bread free and added sugar free, and right now on high carb, relatively low fat, bread free, added sugar free vegan.

Take out the differences, it looks like bread free and added sugar free is the way to go. I'm going to test this theory with some bread at some point to see whether it kicks the hunger and cravings back in, but not yet. I'm feeling really good just the way things are going now.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    I just found this and thought it was hysterical:

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Ingredients/Food-addiction-claims-amount-to-bad-science

Professor John Blundell stated:

"Overconsumption of food represents overconsumption in our culture' he said 'so we don't need a neuro-chemical theory to explain it."

Egad! He's right! Not only do I have a problem with sugar, every time I go to wipe my butt, I deliberately tear off twice as much toilet paper as I need. Sometimes three times more if I'm feeling stressed. Because overconsuming is part of my culture, right?

Lamest reasoning ever.
  • Thinnest_1
    Options
    I stopped eatting it, what else?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Recovering sugar addict lol

I know.

A lot of people with binge eating or compulsive overeating disorder think they have "food addiction," when really they have an eating disorder.

Hey everybody! If you have issues with eating, particularly where you feel out of control eating certain things and binge on them: therapy, mental conditioning, online resources. I had binge eating disorder for most of my life. Develop a healthy relationship with food. Don't blame your binge triggers, especially when you are still eating them (meaning "i don't eat sugar!" but still eat fruit, honey, any carbohydrates) take some personal accountability.
  • Meerataila
    Options

I know.

A lot of people with binge eating or compulsive overeating disorder think they have "food addiction," when really they have an eating disorder.

Hey everybody! If you have issues with eating, particularly where you feel out of control eating certain things and binge on them: therapy, mental conditioning, online resources. I had binge eating disorder for most of my life. Develop a healthy relationship with food. Don't blame your binge triggers, especially when you are still eating them (meaning "i don't eat sugar!" but still eat fruit, honey, any carbohydrates) take some personal accountability.

Tell that to the rats. Obviously they binge on the exact same bready, high sugar stuff humans do because they have mental problems and lack a healthy relationship with food and personal responsibility.

It couldn't be sugar messing with the body's complex satiety system, oh no! It has to be mental and lack of willpower!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

I'm glad you said it. I'm tired and don't trust my fingers.