30 day shred starting today. Any takers?

Options

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    WOW Carmen! Thats fantastic! What a change in just a week, well done!:flowerforyou:

I've just done day 9. Thought I'd get it out of the way nice and early today. I stuck to level one as I'm so close to completing the 10 days. I felt really strong throughout and my form was good. I felt I worked harder than last night and that really showed on my HRM too. A great start to the day!
  • Kate_UK
    Options

The mind, on the other hand, can be very challenging to control. I can definitely relate to your struggles, Kate. And like Carmen, I'm doing this right now because I have not been able to maintain the weight when I lose it. I seem to gain/lose the same 10 lbs every couple of years. I don't know if you are doing this, but others have recommended that once you hit your goal weight, to allow yourself to fluctuate a few pounds +/- your goal weight. Also, I have to remind myself that this is about a lifestyle and changing patterns...it's not a week to week weight but a long term goal that I'm working towards. .

We wont' let you give up!!

Aw thank you for your kind words. When I was loosing I got down to 10st 12 (152lbs). my goal was 11st (154). I am hoping to maitain to within 4lbs of my lowest weight so thats why seeing 156 on the scale yesterday sent me off the deep end. But the scale is back to 155.25 this am. I'm begining to feel that this obsession with numbers isn't healthy, but then again if I relax and try not to weigh so often I'm worried that I'll put on the lbs without realising and slowly end up back at square one. Think I need to find a happy medium.
  • carmen1485
    Options
    Thanks Kate. It really felt like it was worth it when I measured myself this morning. And well done for getting it out of the way so early.

I've just done Level 2 or at least attempted to do it. My goodness, that was pretty intense. I need to work a lot on form and I'm right back with Anita on most of the exercises and certainly back to my extra small 2lb weights for a couple of them rather than 3s and 5s.

But it certainly made me sweat and I feel like I've earned at least two mouthfuls of the Indian takeaway at my friends tonight. Must stay away from the naan bread!

It's great to check in here when I'm done and it stops me from thinking 'I'll just skip it today and work really hard tomorrow'.
  • Kate_UK
    Options
    Carmen - Congrat on surviving level 2, enjoy your Indian! I know what you mean, having to check in and report our progress is stopping me from slacking too. I'm doing my last day on level 1 tomorrow and I'll be joining you on 2 on Monday.
  • lisayvonne
    lisayvonne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Carmen---I'm encouraged with the inches you've lost. That's great!!

Kate--I can so relate to your struggles and the obsession with weighing in. It is hard not to have my mood influenced by the numbers on the scale. Some days I can deal, and others I can get very down on myself. I weigh myself every day too, yet a part of me knows that I shouldn't do that. I know that sometimes that weight gain has more to do with my sodium intake on a given day than my calorie intake. It's one thing to have the knowledge, and another to take it in and accept it without beating ourselves up in teh process. I'm trying to be more gentle on myself....

I completed my Day 8 workout today. I realized that I'm not going to be able to do the 30 days straight, because I'm scheduled for some minor surgery on Day 26. But, I will do this every day up until the day before the surgery. I might jump to the 2nd workout tomorrow, so that I can have at least 8 workouts of each.
  • Kate_UK
    Options
    Carmen---I'm encouraged with the inches you've lost. That's great!!

Kate--I can so relate to your struggles and the obsession with weighing in. It is hard not to have my mood influenced by the numbers on the scale. Some days I can deal, and others I can get very down on myself. I weigh myself every day too, yet a part of me knows that I shouldn't do that. I know that sometimes that weight gain has more to do with my sodium intake on a given day than my calorie intake. It's one thing to have the knowledge, and another to take it in and accept it without beating ourselves up in teh process. I'm trying to be more gentle on myself....

I completed my Day 8 workout today. I realized that I'm not going to be able to do the 30 days straight, because I'm scheduled for some minor surgery on Day 26. But, I will do this every day up until the day before the surgery. I might jump to the 2nd workout tomorrow, so that I can have at least 8 workouts of each.

Yes, the gap between having the knowledge and accepting it can be a bridge too far some days. But we'll get there. Together!
    Good luck with level 2 today. I'm really tempted to give it a go, but the perfectionist in me really wants to complete the ten days! I've been trying to get some other cardio in too the last few days, so maybe instead of doing that I'll try level 2 this evening as my second work out. Or maybe I'll wimp out and wait until tomorrow!
  • Kate_UK
    Options
    I did level 2! Well sort of! Some of the cardio moves I only managed half the amount of reps, doing 1 to their 2. I found trying to co-ordinate arms and legs difficult for many of the moves, and in general my form was all over the place. I m concerned about all the pressure on the wrists in this level. I have weak wrists and it doesn't take much for me to strain them. I'm going to have to be very careful to make sure I don't over stress them. Although hopfully if I can keep this up it will help to strengthen them for the future.
    This level might just kill me:wink:
  • lisayvonne
    Options
    Workout 2 kicked my butt...the first workout feels like a walk in the park in comparison. Kate--it was really hard for me to keep up as well, but I tried my best. My upper body strength is pathetic, so I was groaning each time she mentioned getting into the plank position. When it came to the 3rd set of ab workout, I was exhausted and quickly fell on the floor and rolled on my back, so you can imagine my disappointment when I saw that even the ab workout would include a plank form. Ugh! These next several days are going to be hard, but I'm going to give it my best. I hope to see some improvement in my form.

What doesn't kill us will make us stronger. Anita is going to be my best friend through the next several work outs.
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    back from berlin - I actually brought my shred dvd with me and did it with my friend in the morning. I skipped it yesterday cause there was no time, but i'll be back to it today :) will check in with day 6 soon!
  • carmen1485
    Options
    So yesterday I did not rock, I did not roll and I certainly did not shred.

Life overtook the best laid plans but that's OK and the day was pretty damn fine.

Bzbear - I'm so impressed that you took your DVD with you on your trip and that you did it too. I shall remember this as I'm away in a couple of weeks.

Kate - L2 is hard on the wrists and actually it's not a very natural wrist position. You could check out push up bars which are designed to give a much more natural wrist position. I'm sure you could use those during the upper body strength and abs exercises.

Lisa - I'm with you on the lying on the floor groaning. I'm going to try and get my routine in in the next couple of hours and I am *not* looking forward to it whereas I was starting to look forward to L1. But it is only 20 minutes - even if it feels like about 45 when I'm doing it.

Squat thrusts - arrrrggggh!

Onward and upward!
  • carmen1485
    Options
    L2 D2 done. I think I'm losing weight by sweating so much doing this! Unbelievable. It wasn't any easier but at least I had slightly more of a clue about what I was aiming for in some of the moves and might even have got a bit closer to what it going on on screen. Aiming for light weights and good form for the next couple of days and then I'll try and up the weights a bit I think.

On the 'making it all worthwhile' side I bought two pairs of size 14 (UK) jeans yesterday and my BF has most definitely noticed the difference in my shape :-)

Having had most of last week off work and also today, I'm back into the work routine from tomorrow and hoping that I can stick to this amongst that. I know I won't be able to fit it in on Thursday but I am going dancing in the evening so will have to work extra hard at that!
  • Kate_UK
    Options
    Ok, I have to admit I've not done my shred today. I spent too long out in the cold this morning which set my asthma off, but its (evenytually) calmed down this evening, so I'm on for shreding in the the morning and swimming at lunch time.

How did you guys do today?
  • lisayvonne
    Options
    I completed day 2 of L2 right now. I knew I would not do it if I didn't immediately change into my workout clothes when I returned from work. I've been off for the past week for Fall break, so it will be much more challenging to do this every day now that work is in full swing.

Carmen, it is a little easier knowing what moves to expect. I used 5 lb weights for the first strength, then dropped to 3lb for the remaining sets which helped me maintain a better form than yesterday. (I would not pretend I had any sort of form in yesterday's workout.) I managed some of the squat jumps and the plank jacks (Natalie level), which I did not even try yesterday. I didn't do it with as much intensity as Natalie, but I was proud that I made an effort.

I'm going to do my workout early tomorrow and will report in soon after...

Congratulations on fitting into the skinnier jeans, Carmen! Hope you're feeling better tomorrow, Kate!
  • Kate_UK
    Options
    Carmen - Thanks for the tip on push up bars, I'll have a look for some next time I'm in town. CONGRATULATIONS on th size 14's! I almost cired a few weeks ago when I went to M&S for a new pair of trousers and had to ask the fitting room girl to find a size 14 for me because the 16 was too big. I got a bit of a strange look after I'd finished trying on, might have been my over bright eyes or the little whoop I let out when I found they fitted perfectly!

Lisa, Bzbear, how are you getting on?

Level 2 (official) day 1 done. I had a better idea of what was going on, but must remember to wear shoes next time, in just socks my feet were sliding all over the place for the push up position type moves.
  • carmen1485
    Options
    L2 D3 done with a little more style and a little less whimpering although not a lot on either count.

Thank you for the kind words about the size 14s. Going to need to keep shredding to be able to eat in them however :-) I'm fairly pear shaped with a small waist compared to my hips (28.5" to 40.5" hips). Anyone have any tips on good makes of jeans for that shape. I spend all my time with belts on and an unattractive 'gathered' look. My new Next high waist ones are pretty good but suggestions gratefully received!

Kate - hope your asthma is OK - I'm sure the weather doesn't help at all. Well done for L2 - the speed will come. At least I'm hoping so.

Lisa - 5lb!! Wow, I'm really impressed. I'm hoping to get nearer to them by the end of the 10 days, even if it is just one set. I too walked in the door and went and got changed straight away. I love my sofa and once I sit down on it, I'll never move again.

I'm struggling with the pendulum lunges. I think I need to take it a bit slower and I guess I'm worried about my slightly rickety left knee too. Lots of lunges = no fun.
  • lisayvonne
    Options
    hi folks,

L2 D3 is history here (day 11 overall for me). it is becoming more manageable with each day. yesterday and today, it was my only exercise, so i put my all into it and felt like i had the energy to do it. i can see improvements with each day and that feels rewarding in itself to see those small changes.

the planks will always stink, but the challenge is good for me. i find that the pendulum lunges are hard too (especially lunging backwards).

jeans have always been my vice...i hate how i look in them, but i wore a pair yesterday with pride and got some compliments on my outfit. i'm sorry that i don't know more about different brands to suggest, carmen.

kate--congrats on your downsizing success as well!! i am aiming to be where the two of you are soon! :) till tomorrow...
  • aznplayboi82
    Options
    Great!
    For those that don't know, the 30 day shred is one of Gillian Michaels (biggest looser) fitness dvds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the USA you can get it from Target amongst other shops, its around $10. I'm in the UK and I got it from Amazon, I think it was about £6. You also need hand weights to do it. It consists of 3 sets of 3 minute strength training, 2 mins of cardio and 1 min of abs.

Just completeed day one. Phew! I'd forgotten quite how much hard work it is. Feeling great now though!

Good luck to everyone!

That's it? seems hard to get shred doing so little, keep this topic updated, i'm interested in if it works.
  • Kate_UK
    Options
    Great!
    For those that don't know, the 30 day shred is one of Gillian Michaels (biggest looser) fitness dvds. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the USA you can get it from Target amongst other shops, its around $10. I'm in the UK and I got it from Amazon, I think it was about £6. You also need hand weights to do it. It consists of 3 sets of 3 minute strength training, 2 mins of cardio and 1 min of abs.

Just completeed day one. Phew! I'd forgotten quite how much hard work it is. Feeling great now though!

Good luck to everyone!

That's it? seems hard to get shred doing so little, keep this topic updated, i'm interested in if it works.

It SOUNDS easy, I though the same when I fisrt found out about it, but I can promise you its not! My HRM says that I burn over 300 caloroies in twenty mins.....
  • Kate_UK
    Options
    Carmen, I also like Next for jeans, but I find that I have to buy a size bigger there than most other shops. I've only just sent a pair of size 18's to the charity shop even though I was a 16 everywhere else. I find Peacocks a nice fit, generous around the hips, slightly higher wasted that some of the low rise ones that seem to be everywhere, and the length suits me. I prefer something that comes just below the belly button because it holds the remnants of my mummy tummy in. I'll never loose the extra skin that I got from pregnancy so hiding it is the key! I struggle with length, A 31 inch is too short, but a 33 is just that little bit too long unless I've got heels on. And they are a distant memory since I started pushing a buggy around everywhere! Good luck with finding the prefect pair!

Lisa, Woohoo! on feeling good in your jeans yesterday. And for sticking with L2. I have to say I really hate this one. I'm not affraid of hard work, but there are lots of exercises in this one that I just don't like. Squat thrusts and plank jacks to name just 2. I'm going to push myself to finish all 10 days, but I don't think its one I'll be revisiting very often.

Right, enough procrastinating, on with L2D2
  • lisayvonne
    Options
    I woke up early and completed the workout before going to work. If I wasn't fully awake going into the workout, I sure was coming out of it. Feels good to have it out of the way for the day. Those squat jumps and plank jacks are especially fun first thing in the morning (note sarcasm). But, my hips are noticing a difference. I'm down at least 1 inch since I started the 30 day shred. Hoping for another inch between now and the end.

Good luck to everyone today in their eating and exercising goals!