Make my roommate get a life!

Options

Replies

• baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't know why he would ever leave the house. It's scary out there and there are multiple seasons of game of thrones. You should be more supportive OP!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    She does not have the right to the livingroom 50% of the time. They both have the right 100% of the time. Just because she invites people over does not mean he has to corral himself in his bedroom.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    how's the rent split up between the 2 of you?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Does he pay his rent?
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't know why he would ever leave the house. It's scary out there and there are multiple seasons of game of thrones. You should be more supportive OP!

Game of thrones, the walking dead, sons of anarchy.... list goes on, plenty to keep him amused when your friends are round, just buy him a dvd player:p
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    How can I nicely tell him to get a life so I can have the living room sometimes? When I bring friends over he assumes he should be there and involved. We are friends, but not to the point that he needs to always be around my friends and I.

Advice?

Ahh roommates...

So here's the thing that sucks...it's his living room too. He pays rent and it's a shared space. So you either put your big girl britches on and tell him "hey...I need you to leave on X day for a get together with my friends" or you just need to do it at someone else's place.

Passive isn't the way to go. If being direct doesn't work...lease renewal time comes around think about moving.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Implement GIRLS NIGHT once in a while and tell him you really need some female bonding time to talk about periods and ****... He should get the point. But you also have to look at it like this... If the dude is paying bills the place is kind of his too and he doesn't have to leave...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    The roommate is male... and your a female...

:huh:
    8.jpg
  • Coltsforlife
    Coltsforlife Posts: 124
    Options
    buy him a playstation
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    The roommate is male... and your a female...

:huh:
    1zexfgk.gif
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You could move in with someone more compatible and get over it.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Since I moved away from home I have busted my butt working through school so I didn't have to have a roommate. Politely tell him that you enjoy his company, but you and your friends sometimes need private time alone. Once the lease is up, consider getting your own spot. I would not do the roommate thing.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Tell him to join MFP, he can TC with us and get Kik.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the plot twist
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Plot twist: he's dating the girl that doesn't want him at the gym at the same time as her. Can't hang in his living room, can't go to the gym...poor fn guy.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I hope your roommate finds a better roommate

Burn!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm thinking we don't have all the details here...
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Hm. Compassion would be a good start. Maybe start introducing him around so he can make friends too? He might need your help and not know how to ask for it. But to shove him out of "your" domain in "your" apartment that, from the tone of your OP, you "allow" him to live in seems very mean girl to me.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hey this is totally not weight loss or fitness related.

I'm 24 and lived away at college and had an apartment prior to this one. My roommate just moved out of his parent's house and commuted to college. He doesn't have many friends, and almost no hobbies.

How can I nicely tell him to get a life so I can have the living room sometimes? When I bring friends over he assumes he should be there and involved. We are friends, but not to the point that he needs to always be around my friends and I.

Advice?

Live somewhere else? If he's his share of the rent and there's nothing in the contract that he has to vacate the the living room when your friends show up, then you have nothing. Now I'll wait for his forum post asking how to get his roommate to get off his back about him getting a life. I'll tell him the same thing.

TLDR: just break up
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

The roommate is really a blowup doll.