At what point did you finally decide "this is it..."

Options

Replies

• DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My thirty fifth birthday was approaching and at that time I was out of work. I call it a sort of mid life crisis because I remember thinking I do not want to be this size anymore especially since I had been yo-yoing for so long. I decided right then and there to change my life and I'm so glad I did.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    Not liking what I saw in pictures. I never felt big IRL and then I saw pics. And was like oh. LOL

THIS!!! ^^ i look in the mirror every morning when i dress, but one day i walked by and unexpected caught a glimpse of myself..........guard down, not sucking it in.....EEEWWWWW GROSS and realized that that's what everyone else sees!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    At what point in your life did you tell yourself "It's time to lose weight" and ACTUALLY meant it??

- I'm 41 and gained over the past ten years... so basically I spent my 30's fat and miserable. I don't want to spend my 40's fat and miserable so this is my main reason for being here. I've decided to make a lifestyle change of counting calories and becoming more active. I didnt get fat overnight and won't lose it overnight. I'm only 4 days in but I feel better already (mentally)..

What about you??

Doctors told me I was going to die within a year unless I made a change... kind of a huge wake up call.
  • rubbersoul84
    rubbersoul84 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I couldn't paint my own toenails anymore. I bought a dress at Lane Bryant. I got winded carrying a laundry basket up the stairs. My size 14 pants were getting too tight. My husband started keto and lost weight. I didn't want to be the fat wife anymore.

I'm down 31 pounds and I can run up the stairs with that laundry basket. I'm wearing size 10 pants and some 8s. That dress? Gave it away. I have 20 pounds to go, but I'm no longer that fat wife. Oh, and I did my own toenails last night!
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My mother died of a sudden massive heart attack 6 years ago. I didn't find success until 2012 when I found MFP.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My husband went overseas, and I realized that I didn't want him to come home to the same person he left.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The moment I purchased a flight to Hawaii, I wanted to feel confidant in a bikini. That was how it started.... now, 7 months later, the Hawaii trip has come and gone and I am still going strong. The first few months are really hard to stay on track. Thats when youll find out how bad you want it and if you are up to motivating yourself everyday without making excuses.
    Even though I am now feeling comfortable in a bikini, I still have work to do and plan on building muscle. Cant wait to see what I will look like next summer!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Part 1) When I was crying in my car after picking up a couple of things at the grocery. I was so out of breath and in pain just from walking a few yards with the support of a cart.

Part 2) fast forward a few weeks and I ended up in the hospital with severe anemia, edema, T2 diabetes and my check in weight was over 300 lb.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    another one of mine, i never under-grew my underwear i had to buy and wear when pregnant for my 3rd child when i was 9 mo pregnant.....
    it's still the only underwear that fits me...(right now!)
  • avianamity
    avianamity Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of myself in pictures but I knew that it was more just me being picky because, yeah I could lose 20 lbs but that was all and I was active and really in great shape...

than I went to culinary school, met my husband and stedily gained throughout the process. When I got pregnant with my son, I weighed 267. I was blessed with an amazing pregnancy and I took better care of myself than I ever had before which led to losing 30lbs while I was pregnant (yes I was monitored the whole time and was doing it in a healthy way. I just became more active and didnt eat anything I wouldnt want him to have. the doc was thrilled!)

Then we started having problems and I gained it back plus a little more because of stress. Now I am a 271lbs single mother of a beautiful 3 year old son and through our move back in with my parents we've been going through pictures and I realized that there are only maybe 30 with my son and i, I'm always on the other side of the camera because I hate to see myself. His father is still in the picture, but very limited contact, I am my sons primary provider, caregiver, security, source of love and encouragement (my family is amazing and love him to death, so I'm speaking of my ex and I, not our overall family) and I can't imagine not being there for him. Plus he's getting to the age of wanting to go to the pool and such and I know I'm not going to be comfortable with that so its time.

I dont expect to become a stick insect but I would like to not be a giant either...

Additionally, I want the confidence to go after what I want and deserve when I start dating again, not after what I think I can get and then cling to it because 'hes to good for me and I have to please him to make him stay' I'm SOOOOOOO not doing that again!

Somethings gotta give and it has to do it now!
  • sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I need to lose weight to get ready for a second baby.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    when I couldn't find a dress to wear to my only daughter's wedding :yawn: :blushing: :embarassed:
  • ricer8
    ricer8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to change for the last few years, but earlier this year a friend died after falling into a diabetic coma (he was only 40). I had just had my annual physical where I was told I was pre-diabetic and I knew it was time for me to start taking this serious! 52 pounds lighter since Jan., and I'm happier, but the marathon is not over yet!
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I woke up one morning and looked at myself in the mirror and thought, WTH have I done to myself.
    I was recently, happily, divorced with a full time job and 4 kids still at home for me to take care of.
    I weighed myself that morning and couldn't believe that I was over 300lbs!!! I joined the gym that night and starting going every day
    and after losing about 30 lbs I joined MFP and the rest is history.
  • Gamerchick00
    Gamerchick00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I asked my Mom to go in to the doctor's office with me to answer some questions he might have about my epileptic seizures since she knows what they look like. When I got weighed at the start of the visit, she said, "That's amazing, that's exactly what I weigh." I was really surprised, because I had always thought of my mom as bigger than me and less healthy since she has difficulty getting around, and she is diabetic and I am not. I thought that since I had the stamina to walk around all over the place without getting out of breath that this meant that it was okay if I was big anyway. Surprise. Since that visit, which was a month ago, I have been walking every day with my husband and playing badminton while staying under my calories. The scale hasn't moved tremendously yet, but my clothes look so much better on my shape and are easier to get into.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When I peed on a stick and it came back positive - I realized it was no longer about me; I now had someone else that would be depending on me to be healthy and set the example. Plus there are so many playgrounds to go climb around on again! :laugh:
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started getting back pain all of the time - I couldn't even make it down the street. That was my breaking point - I didn't want to be the person that everyone had to make exceptions for when making plans, doing things - so this time was it for me... and it was the best decision I ever made :happy:
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I struggled with my weight for years and I got my first wakeup call when my dad was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes 5 years ago (at the time he weighed over 300 pounds at 6'1"). Although I didn't kick myself into gear until this year when I noticed he wasn’t taking care of himself (not taking his meds or monitoring his blood sugar) he drastically lost weight (not intentionally) , he has very low energy, and doesn't look very healthy. It pains me although I know I can't change him but I can change myself.

I realized I don't need to put myself through that if I work towards a healthy lifestyle right now. And I hope that I can be an inspiration to him so he can start taking care of himself.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    When I felt like I was in a constant state of GI distress.
  • LadyArchangel
    LadyArchangel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Honestly the day I decided it just hit me.... and I've stuck with it since. The main things were getting diagnosed with diabetes at age 19, and most importantly being told that due to my irregular cycle (due to my weight) I probably won't be able to conceive. That crushed me, because I've always dreamed of that day. That's the main thing that's kept me going, knowing that weight loss might help the chances. So far it's helped greatly with my cycle (no longer non existant/irregular:bigsmile:)