At what point did you finally decide "this is it..."

Options

Replies

• rachnmatt53009
    rachnmatt53009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mine happened a couple of days ago. I went home to visit my parents and went to my old home church with them. At least 4 people asked me when "the little one was due because it had to be any day now" If there is one thing I am sure of, it is that I am not pregnant. If that is how people see me now, I have got to do something.
  • bkk40in2011
    Options
    I was at McDonalds with my fiance and I was eating my usual fish sandwich with medium fries and a diet Coke. A woman walked in... Well, she had to walk into the door sideways holding onto her husband/boyfriend/male companion, who was also large. She huffed and puffed and hobbled up to the counter and ordered two 20 piece chicken nuggets, 2 large fries and a large Coke just for herself. She couldn't fit into the booth or the chairs at the restaurant, so the male with her went to the car and came out with a special large chair for her. As she was almost finished eating (and my fiance saw my eyes fill with tears) she said she was still hungry and ordered 4 cheeseburgers to go.

When they left, I cried. I cried for her, I cried for him, I cried for myself and my fiance (who is about 150 lbs overweight himself). I started my journey the next day.

I love your heart to have such compassion for that woman.

For me I am tired of having overeating/food be my comfort, my obsession, my entertainment, my fulfillment. It is only satisfying when it is in my mouth which is about 5 seconds if I am lucky. I would rather get the joy of wearing clothes that fit which lasts a full day, vacations where I can feel confident in my fitness which can last a week and confidence that I have overcome such a huge issue which can last a lifetime!
  • schw0807
    schw0807 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I realized it was easier to work out and eat healthy than it was to go through life fat.
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian and started exercising for real, not just going for a 20 minute leisurely walk three times a week (if that). Two weeks of that made me feel really good, both mentally and physically. I also love my job. If I'm active, I'll be able to keep doing my job for longer.

Undoing years of not being kind to myself is going to take a long time, but I'm finally ready to do it. It just took a few years to get to this point.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been fat since I was a kid, but like some other people I always felt like "I'm not that big..." until I saw a picture or a mirror. The last few years it's really become obvious the limitations I have due to being fat and combined with Christmas pictures from last December driving the point home, I finally realized I had to commit to change. I'm just glad I knew about MFP already.
  • erinelissa91
    erinelissa91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I went to buy my favorite brand of jeans and I was barely squeezing into the biggest size they made. I had my boyfriend take pictures of me that night and I was disgusted with myself. I had no idea I had put on so much weight in such a short amount of time (probably 20 pounds in a year and a half) and I cried and said enough is enough! That was in March!
  • When I realized I was the only fat graduate in my school that was still a virgin. I wasn't even the biggest guy, so I figured I just have an awful personality. If people don't like your insides, then might as well go for vanity and make your outsides nice and pretty. Some of you may be thinking, "that's a pretty stupid answer", but hey, my motto is that there are no stupid answers, only stupid people and I'm on track in going into nuclear school, so depending on your personal definition of stupidity, my answer does not sound so ridiculous after all. And now you can see why I have so much trouble getting laid. But hey, my goal has lost me 30 pounds in 9 months (first six month 15, next three months 15)
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    jan. 8th 2012
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    My mom passed away a few years ago of ovarian cancer, and it made me so sad and ashamed that she never got to see me healthy and not carrying around the extra weight. At the time I was 46, had been overweight my whole adult life, and at that point I was at my heaviest at 350 pounds. Losing her, coupled with the fact that I was soon going to be 50 years old and didn't want to head in to my senior years in this condition (if I even made it to my senior years) were what caused my "this is it" moment.

At the start of 2012 my Dad joined an online food logging website (not MFP) because his cardiologist wanted him to drop about 30 pounds (he lost 40 and has maintained for nearly 2 years now), so I followed his lead, and it was the best thing I had ever done. I have a much healthier relationship with food these days, and I no longer eat mindlessly or to quell an emotion. I'm 100 pounds down and still have about another 100 to go, but that will come with time.
  • bsmock88
    bsmock88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    July 7, 2014 :)
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had several related issues, many years ago I had an IBS problem that was very severe, I was at 89 lbs. Food would not stay with me, I became painfully ill after any meal. Friends would say things like if only I could get IBS to loose my weight, I always replied and truly thought if my IBS problem ever got better I would never complain about being overweight. Many more years passed until it was somewhat controlled, but I stayed slim, I had always been small. I opened up a cafe which I served wonderful baked goods. I worked there lated hours skipping lunch and dinner, and choosing to satisfy my hunger with huge pieces of those wonderful desserts. I seemed to of puffed up overnight, but I felt guilty noticing the wieght gain as my IBS was the best it had been, and I remembered constantly what I had told myself about not caring what my weight was as long as I wasn't in pain and sickly as I had been. I went up and down a lot the next several years. Would try different exercise routines and just give up on them, as I had never been athletic. So this went on with me falling in and out of depression for several more years. Then there came a day when my husband decided after 28 years of marriage he didn't want to be married anymore, at least to me as he remarried just two weeks after the divorce went through. Needless to say I was devestated and fell into a severe/ acute depression. That's been almost five years ago and I'm still in therapy, I had been a mess for about the entire 5years. I didn't eat and if and when I did, there was nothing healthy about what I did eat. I mean besides the depressions lack of motivation, why would anyone want to cook for just there self. I had always enjoyed cooking party planning and entertaining but I was not that same person, and wanted nothing to do with that, or even anything else. I would eat two bowls of cereal for the day or toast or maybe frozen waffles, and if there was a sweet around I ate it til I was gone. My son-inlaw is a personal trainer and he and my daughter were constantly on me about the way I ate. Finally I tried a yogurt fruit and fish routine, but they both told me I wasn't going to loose any weight until I ate more and healthier and lots of protien. I didn't really listen to them and I continued to eat the same way. Then a day came when my daughter and I discussed my long severe depression, and how there was finally some improvement in that area, still along way to go. That was about five months ago. She came right out and told me how bad I had let myself go and how she was often embarrassed of me when neighbors and friends came around. I told her I was sorry I just didn't care anymore, and why bother I had no one to look good for. That's when she told me yes I do, I had her, my son and my three grandchildren. I decided right then I needed to do something, and I did. I had come across a sight that taught how to loose weight by counting calories and having the deficit and so on, which also led me to my fitness pal. I have been working hard on the diet, but still not so much on the wieght training. Progress was being made despite a seven day cruise and about six family occasions, I lost weight, I felt better understanding nutrition and how important it was to monitor my calories, protien, fat and sugar. I am very pleased at where I am now, actually found myself in ladies size 0 jeans just the other day. I don't quite understand that happening as I haven't lost hardly any inches. My daughter got me started on non processed foods whole and organic foods. I've been feeling so much better with my health, my confidence, and about me in general.
    So to sum up this very long post I will add I'm keeping this new lifestyle permantly,
    I want to be able to run and play with my grands, to be healthy in my upcoming 50's
    I want to look better not only for myself but for my daughter too
    I have a good friend I would like to know better, and would love it if he became very attracted to me
    My son gets married in Nov. I want to shine for his special occasion, and even maybe my ex won't see me as so helpless, and will see a healthy happy women that he would wonder why he walked away
    I'm gonna keep at it until I loose 13 more lbs and from there I'm gonna keep going to maintain and to cont to improve my lifestyle for as long as I'm here. And hopefully I will motivate myself to the training part, so my body will firm up from the loss, and so it will be strong.
    Great thread, we all have our own reasons, issues, situations, but we also have in common the drive for this.
  • nboyl9543
    nboyl9543 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When my fat pants started getting tight!
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i didnt. i mean i did. a million times before.

but this time i didnt. i moved to a new neighborhood and decided to join the gym for the heck of it and see how it went and it seemed when i wasnt motivated by desperation i actually wanted to do it for its own sake. i am really into the workouts but knew it had to work in conjunction with better diet so i do both...

it for once had nothing to do with being prettier. it was all about that healthy feeling after a workout. i am in love with that warm tiredness and the feeling of being alive.
  • oblair
    oblair Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My turning point was when I was buying the largest size of jeans in the shop. I refuse go to a special shop to buy my jeans, I don'.t know or care to know how. Luckily I am able to fit in a smaller pair of jeans after only dieting for 20 days.
  • ain_hime
    ain_hime Posts: 2
    Options
    When I get fed up of not being able to wear the trendy clothes sold everywhere. I had to buy at the shops that sell big clothes-which are way too expensive and just ugly...and the fact that I'm the only fat one among my friends. OH. And also because I want to marry a Japanese guy.
  • tinwaleet
    tinwaleet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I went toy annual check up (in January) and realized I had the same weight as when I was 7 months pregnant, was a shock and decided to do something. The doctor was really nice and understanding and gave me good advice on how to start. I am so glad a friend sent me the information on mfp as I started to lose weight consistently since then and it is actually fun and like my mfp friends :-)
  • bubbly_charm2k9
    bubbly_charm2k9 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The time when my parents always complain about my weight that im getting fatter every week lol.. and the worst thing is that my boyfriend also complains and he's getting colder to me .. So I decided to lose weight starting from 156 lbs to 121 lbs ;)
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have to psych myself up for a diet. I have to be ready, frame-of-mindwise. I have to have no more fattening food in the house. My appetite seems to run in periods of highs and lows, so I try to begin a diet when it is running low. I don't let the pounds run away with me because I only want to have to diet for three to five weeks. MFP helped me start my current diet because , 1) I got into the spirit of dieting by being on here and, 2) I had already posted on my profile that I would begin the diet on July 5-- so, I could not renege! The accountability factor! :smile:
  • salvationsdying
    salvationsdying Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to do this for a while. But never really had the motivation I guess.

Then around halloween I hadn't had a cycle in longer then normal. They have always been random but this was longer then I was used to. I took 4 different pregnancy test and they all said no. So I went to see my ob and he told me at 6 months without one we could do a few different things but that dude to my size they might just still be off. So we waited. Come january still nothing and I weighed 261 pounds, 5 pounds from what I was the day I had my toddler. That hit home a bit. So a 14 day round of meds and 2 weeks later I was 271 pounds now and was told it was my weight and if I ever hoped to have more kids I must get my weight under control. And that not having a cycle for to long could cause cancer. Well my family has high risk of cancer as is so id rather not give myself another reason.

I have a toddler who is extremely active and very happy. But I don't have the energy to do my house work and run around outside to play with her right. So I want that to change before she becomes a active child....plus my whole family on my dads side is over weight and I determinded to break out of that mold (my cousin is the only person smaller then I, and even she's decided enoughs enough. And is doing this with me). And not let my daughter get in it.

Plus side of losing weight, whenever my fiance and I have the money to have our wedding ill be able to find a cute dress. He said I'm beautiful as I am but I want to look better to. He never noticed the 50+ pound gain since our daughter was born (tho I think that's crazy and he did, but he won't say so!)
  • SnarkyMam0610
    SnarkyMam0610 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I got on the scale it it was over 300 lbs.. and after loosing my mother and grandmother to heart disease/ cancer this year. My mother died unexpectedly in her sleep less than 2 weeks before her 53rd birthday and my grandmother was only 76 years old.