At what point did you finally decide "this is it..."

Options

Replies

• nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    I was 167 lbs and stood at 5'5". I knew I wasn't skinny, but I kept myself blind to the fact that I was overweight.

Some girls carry their weight well, in their hips and breasts and backsides, and other girls aren't so lucky. I was one of the girls who carried all their weight in her arms, stomach, and love handles. For years I chose baggy clothes to hide behind without really realizing it.

One day, during class, a skinny, beautiful girl told me (very loudly, I might add) that my bra strap was stuck due to the baggy shirts (yes, I wore two, in the summer no less). I realized then that all my clothes were misfits and I wasn't confident enough to change my clothing style.

Two years and 50+ lbs lost, I feel like I am confident enough to wear tank tops and high waisted shorts and sundresses. :)
  • sashachilders18
    sashachilders18 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lol my answer isn't as spectacular as yalls... I woke up last wednesday with a crap ton of energy so I went to the gym.

Needless to say I'm still stickin to it... also no more take out!!! Ate like crap, felt like crap, basically.
  • brogaspins
    Options
    When I weighed more than my heaviest pregnancy! and I'm not pregnant! Last time I went swimming a chap thought I was swimming for 2 and I'm NOT pregnant!!
    Really - I'm NOT expecting and I want to stop looking like I am.
  • nikole21212
    Options
    When I saw a picture my grandma took of me at the Grand Canyon I was disgusted. I stared at it for a while and wanted to cry. Also when I stepped on the scale at the doctors office and it read 246, my eyes got so big!
  • Kilsharion
    Kilsharion Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was going to have to buy another size clothing, yet again, I got on the scale and discovered I weighed more than my husband. The truth kind of smacked me in the face. Then I took a serious look in the mirror - I actually only own two mirrors and both are in the bathroom and mostly avoided by yours truly. What I saw made me cry. My husband is supportive of my decision; but, he will not join me or let me clean the house of temptation...so it's taken years for me to get to the point that I realized........if I want to do this, it's going to have to be real, and important, and meaningful to me on ALL levels. And, that day, that moment...I made my commitment to doing so.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'5 and l lied to myself for years... in my lower twenties I was around 230. I lived an extremely active and healthy lifestyle. By the time I was 28 I was divorced, depressed and in denial. By 30 I had ballooned over 300 lbs to 330 lbs. I went on a few yo-yo diets but I didn't change my lifestyle.

It wasn't till my 35 birthday this year (april) when I took a selfie and woke up hungover looking through my phone and saw it... I was embarrassed at what I saw. After years of denial I was finally ready to face it.

Well because of that day (April 23) I've changed my life. I eat completely different now. I don't deprive myself of food I just eat better food. I feel great and have begun to start doing things I haven't done in years.

Cheers to a you and a new me!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The husband and I got new furniture for our house and while moving a loveseat, I almost passed out. My heart was racing, I could hardly breathe, my face turned stark white and I almost collapsed. It happened a few times after that, when exerting myself and I realised at 320 lbs...I had to do something about it.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I need to lose about 30lb but had never had the motivation before thinking it would take too long and I wouldn't be able to stick to a diet. Then I got a stomach bug and lost 5lb in 3 days - losing a 6th of the total I needed to lose (in a horribly uncomfortable way admittedly) got me to actually look into how to continue the downward trend in a less splattery way.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Feb 7 last year, when I tried to walk the dog and felt like I was ready to drop dead from exhaustion only 2 minutes in! I tried to lose weight before, but I was mainly looking for a quick fix for vanity reasons. There is no "quick fix" for a 300+ pound person! So I usually gave up soon. This time I could see it was affecting my health. That day I did a blood panel and every single thing was out of norm, I was also diagnosed pre-diabetic.

When my weight started to creep into my health that's when I knew, enough bull**** and things need to get real. Almost a year and a half has passed and I'm still at it. The reason I'm still going is that my motivation, goals, and approach are all real this time. No more quick fixes.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    A combination of things really.....

1) realizing I was fast growing out of my size 12s and vainly didn't want to have to buy any bigger sizes.
    2) being told by my doctor I needed to get more active when I started having an irregular heartbeat.
    3) being tagged on FB in a very unflattering photo.

I have lost weight before and then sat on my laurels and it always comes right back. This time around, I'm working on making slow, sustainable changes. So far, I've lost 13 pounds in about 12 weeks (I started my ticker a few pounds into my weight loss). Not only did I not have to go up a size, I now fit comfortably in my size 10 jeans!
  • Deona143
    Deona143 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My whole body hurt, nothing fit, putting on underwear was a challenge. I was pushing near 300. My husband told me he wanted to get a divorce because I wasn't taking care of myself in any kind of way. I said that's enough. I'm tired of being fat and unhappy. I'm still losing weight every week. My clothes are looser, my husband is noticing the care I'm putting into my health. We decided to stay together till we die through good times and bad times. I work out everyday I'm not in excrusicating pain. I see a chiropractor every week and am doing physical therapy to help with muscle tone and pain management. I wear orthopedic shoes and watch my food intake everyday. I've been on myfitnesspal for nearly 100 days straight. The weight is coming off and I couldn't be more proud to be on this difficult journey. I'm prone to depression and I was in a funk for a year where I gained a whopping 100+lbs! But when my husband wanted to leave me it wasn't just the weight. It was because I didn't care about myself at all. I have kids so what kind of example was I setting for them? It was the breaking point of my life and I think with God's help I've handled it gracefully and that's my journey thus far.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    After going on vacation with my family, I realized how big I looked in every single picture. Not just one or two, "oh it's the type of shirt/the wind was blowing" pictures, but every single one.

<-- my before picture is from that trip.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It was so many things. Not being able to walk with my husband without being out of breath, knee issues made worse because of my weight, back pain, not finding cute clothes and knowing that my health was declining. But the major moment was when my husband told me that he loves me regardless of my size but that he was scared that if I didn't change my ways that I would die young and our "forever" would be cut short.

That broke my heart and made me see not only what I was doing to me but to my husband and kids.
  • shadowjack1965
    shadowjack1965 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So many friends and family members have been having success at losing close to 100lbs. I was complacent for SOOOOOO long, and being over 300 lbs I knew I was in bad shape but couldn't find the motivation. Food was my friend, I was addicted to taste. I could be stuffed and still eat more because it tasted good. I'd done weight watchers three years ago and lost 32 lbs but gained it all back.

I despised getting tagged for pics in FB and when I saw pics I'd always ask "who is that fat guy?" I went to a gym for a few months last year but didn't change my eating habits so didn't lose a thing.

Finally I got alone and got serious and went to war with my head. I simply HAD to break the stranglehold of complacency and addiction to food. I came out the other side determined and went to work.

I love movies. I'd watch 50 First Dates and see Adam Sandler chasing Drew Barrymore around at a picnic and think "I want to do that!" (Run around, not chase Drew though I'll admit that wouldn't suck).
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    In May 2014 I got the bad news my cholesterol triglyceride blood test results were dismal. I changed to whole foods vegan and gave up refined sugar the next day.

I am sure by now my labs are much better. I'm going to keep going until I reach a normal BMI.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    I was a nurses aid when I was in college and I had morbidly obese patients who were very difficult to help. I was diagnosed with Multiple sclerosis and I realized that when i needed help it would be very difficult for people to help me. I was scared into reevaluating my lifestyle.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    \ /
    see that pic in the middle of my ticker? that is me at the beach a few days before i started. I seen that and knew the denial was over.
  • redhothlava
    Options
    Funny that you posted this today. I am starting over AGAIN. At my heaviest - EVER - didn't even weigh this much when I was pregnant with my last child. I wrote a list of why I am going to do it this time - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/redhothlava -To sum up my list - I will succeed this time because I am too fat not to, I want to be a good example for my daughters, I am going to die early if I don't, walking a 1/2 marathon will be much easier with less *kitten* to drag along AND I have found/created a simple diet to follow. Fingers crossed we both do it!!!
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was forced off an amusement ride for the first time.