Is it OK to skip breakfast?

Options

Replies

• sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No, it is not OK to skip breakfast. If you do, then in about 6 weeks, your metabolism will stop completely.
    So what you're saying is that after 6 weeks the person will die? Because that's what will happen if your metabolism stops.

I wonder why I'm not dead. Why didn't I die?

Correct.

You didn't die because you didn't skip breakfast. You had it eventually.

You can only skip breakfast ONCE.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat something within a couple hours. My trainer says within an hour of waking but I don't even do that. I can't eat for a couple hrs after getting up but you definitely shouldn't wait until noon to eat.

You need to be consistent with giving your body food. If you have dinner at say 7pm and you don't eat again until noon the next day that's over 12hrs your body is going without food. That is not good. Your body needs to know that it is getting food at regular intervals. My trainer keeps telling me I need to be eating every 3-4 hrs to keep up my metabolism.

By not eating for long periods your metabolism takes a nose dive and you don't burn calories at the optimal level.

This is incorrect. By not eating for long periods, your resting metabolism speeds up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

If the government said so, it must be true.

The government?????

DADGUMMED GUMMINT SUM*****ES!!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, it is not OK to skip breakfast. If you do, then in about 6 weeks, your metabolism will stop completely.
    So what you're saying is that after 6 weeks the person will die? Because that's what will happen if your metabolism stops.

He/She is just making a play on the origin of the word "break-fast" rather than using the definition of the word.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The reason they suggest not skipping brekkie is to avoid getting hungry a little later and snacking thus taking u over on kcals but actually as long as u stick to your kcal count it dont matter how u do it whether it is one or ten meals a day the important thing is to create a body deficit so if ur not a breakfast person dont worry about skipping
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Meal time is irrelevent. I have a protein shake in the morning just so i dont eat all the snickers in the snack machine at 10am. It the shake keeps my energy level steady until lunch. I have a big lunch and then a smallish dinner because I have acid reflux at night. Do what works for you.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

He/She is just making a play on the origin of the word "break-fast" rather than using the definition of the word.

And he/she is still incorrect about death happening in six weeks.

There are scores of people who have survived without "break-fast" for six weeks and didn't die.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    eat when you are hungry. don't over eat.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You CANNOT skip breakfast. It is the first meal you eat for the day, as it's where you break your fast that you started when you finished your last meal the day before.

WHEN and HOW you break your fast is completely up to you.

When I was using Intermittent fasting, my eating window was noon-8pm. Outside of that, I did not eat.

I've also had lots of success breaking my meals into as many as 6 (3 meals / 3 snacks), and spreading them throughout the day. My advice: try different things and see what works for you, and keep in mind that the SAME thing won't work ALL the time, and be comfortable with changing things up when Plan A stops working.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My trainer keeps telling me I need to be eating every 3-4 hrs to keep up my metabolism.

By not eating for long periods your metabolism takes a nose dive and you don't burn calories at the optimal level.

This ol myth again.

I tell you it's a Lich rolling natty 20s to dodge.
    Lich.jpg

This!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Now, I think an important aspect of the discussion is how nice it would be to roll yourself up in a crepe blanket and eat your way out.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have actually recently talked to my personal trainer about this topic. You should be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and even a couple of healthy snacks in between your meals. When you're exercising your body burns calories, those calories come from the food you put into your body. If you haven't eaten, your body is using your fat as energy, which slows down your metabolism. Low metabolism = Less fat loss. See, if your body is using your fat for energy, it's holding all of your fat because it thinks it's in starvation mode and it doesn't know when you might eat again.
    As I said, I'm not just making all of this up. I asked my trainer about it and she explained all of this to me. :)
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I can't skip breakfast because I get super crabby. (This was in evidence this morning because I had to fast for bloodwork. I arrived at work pre-breakfast and pre-coffee and everyone needed to just back off until I ate.)

But, it's all about what works for you. If you aren't craving breakfast why force yourself to eat it?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I have actually recently talked to my personal trainer about this topic. You should be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and even a couple of healthy snacks in between your meals. When you're exercising your body burns calories, those calories come from the food you put into your body. If you haven't eaten, your body is using your fat as energy, which slows down your metabolism. Low metabolism = Less fat loss. See, if your body is using your fat for energy, it's holding all of your fat because it thinks it's in starvation mode and it doesn't know when you might eat again.
    As I said, I'm not just making all of this up. I asked my trainer about it and she explained all of this to me. :)
    This is all so wrong on a fundamental level...........
    ETA: Most "trainers" read a few books and maybe take a few classes to pass a test, then they stick their brain in a blender and spit out 'information' like what you posted.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    most trainers actually know very little about nutrition. yours seems to know nothing
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Talk about throwing good money after bad. As I said before...

A lich rolling natty 20s. Here's a good thing to try, ask her for the relevant scientific study related to using fat as energy causing a slow down of metabolism.

If she can't answer that, it might be time to think about whether the rest of what she's doing is something she's making up as she goes.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Is this satire? I honestly can't tell. This makes absolute no sense. It's like a fat loss myth mash.
  • Learning2LoveMe64
    Options
    most days i dont eat breakfast either. Im not hungry until i have been up a few hours, so i dont usually force it. when i DO eat breakfast i seem to be starving all day long...weird
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

And he/she is still incorrect about death happening in six weeks.

There are scores of people who have survived without "break-fast" for six weeks and didn't die.

I'll take your word for it. I have no idea how long it takes someone to die without eating anything at all.