Does low carb make you lose faster?

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It feels like carbs are in everything! What are you guys eating to only eat 25g or so a day? Lots of meat?

Usually, lots of fat. Most ketogenic diets are low carb, high fat and moderate protein as too much protein can throw you out of ketosis as well.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat per day?

1300-1500

So 150 carbs would be between 40-46% of your diet. I think (and someone correct me if I am wrong) but low carb is considered 25% or below of your total calories. I know you already cleared it up that you meant low carb "for you" but just wanted to give you the info.

I don't think there is a clear definition of "low carb". Some consider it the carbs needed to get in to and stay in ketosis -- like the initial stage of Atkins which is less than 25 carbs per day. Others consider higher numbers and some call it low carb or lower carb -- and those numbers I've seen anywhere between 50-150g per day, but usually they aren't in ketosis or trying to get into ketosis with those numbers. They just restrict their carbs for other reasons, usually insulin resistance related from diabetes, prediabetes, PCOS, etc.

Hmmm, I always thought it was a percentage of your intake. I know I read it somewhere.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I love Carbs! and I Love CHEESE all food is a vehicle for cheese and cheese is great on a nice crusty artisan bread!
  • RachelSteeners
    RachelSteeners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I love Carbs! and I Love CHEESE all food is a vehicle for cheese and cheese is great on a nice crusty artisan bread!

Agreed. I :heart: cheese. That's why I put on so much weight LOL
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

+1

And goes remarkably well with red wine as well
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I tried low-carb once and didn't stick with it for long because it sapped my energy. Have seen people post that after cutting carbs they had MORE energy than before. I was probably doing it wrong, not eating any vegetables. If I ate low-cal vegetables like leafy greens, do you think that would make me feel better on a low carb diet?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It feels like carbs are in everything! What are you guys eating to only eat 25g or so a day? Lots of meat?

Back when I strictly low carbed mine would range typically between 20-35. My diet consisted primarily of meat/seafood, eggs, non-starchy vegetables, oils/butter/mayo, nuts and some cheese.

I don't low carb anymore but the above, save more fruit, still make up about 80% of my diet that I like to, and enjoy, eating.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    They can also produce better results to the extent you're more insulin resistant, as many obese people are.

So you really thought that I was implying many obese people are on low carb diets and because of their low carb diets the obese people are insulin resistant? Low carb diets can produce better results if you're insulin resistant, as many obese people are. That's pretty well-known and hardly a radical idea. Use a bit of context and common sense when you read.
    Yes.

"They can also produce better results to the extent you're more insulin resistant, as many obese people are." The "to the extent" implies you become more insulin resistant by eating low carb. That is where I got confused because, afaik, low carb doesn't create insulin resistance. The sentence structure and word choice really confused me, and apparently others, too.
  • TutuMom41
    Options

I eat cheese every day Full fat cheese. I am 5'5.5 and weigh 126 lbs If I want more cheese I just have to walk more and do more yoga :D
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    They can also produce better results to the extent you're more insulin resistant, as many obese people are.

So you really thought that I was implying many obese people are on low carb diets and because of their low carb diets the obese people are insulin resistant? Low carb diets can produce better results if you're insulin resistant, as many obese people are. That's pretty well-known and hardly a radical idea. Use a bit of context and common sense when you read.
    Yes.

"They can also produce better results to the extent you're more insulin resistant, as many obese people are." The "to the extent" implies you become more insulin resistant by eating low carb. That is where I got confused because, afaik, low carb doesn't create insulin resistance. The sentence structure and word choice really confused me, and apparently others, too.

I won't argue it could be written more clearly. Just when there's an obviously correct interpretation and one that's nonsensical, I'd think people would choose the former over the latter. In any event, it's been clarified.
  • TutuMom41
    Options

+1

And goes remarkably well with red wine as well

I feel a dinner party coming on! I will bring the CHEESE :D
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I tried low-carb once and didn't stick with it for long because it sapped my energy. Have seen people post that after cutting carbs they had MORE energy than before. I was probably doing it wrong, not eating any vegetables. If I ate low-cal vegetables like leafy greens, do you think that would make me feel better on a low carb diet?

When you initially go into ketosis you experience the Atkins flu. That's probably why you were so tired.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I eat cheese every day Full fat cheese. I am 5'5.5 and weigh 126 lbs If I want more cheese I just have to walk more and do more yoga :D

I would do serious mileage for cheese!!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Meats, full-fat cheeses, dark leaf veggies.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    FYI- protein also creates an insulin response.
    The anti-carb warriors seem to forget this

Nope, we don't. At least, not the smart ones.

OP: Read the research, make your own decisions(mind you, the anti-lc warriors will find some way to ignore any study that does not agree with their POV). If you find it easier to stick to low carb, than it will work faster because you keep to it. If shoveling rice, pasta, and potatoes are your thing, as long as you keep under your calories, it will work too.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

What you experienced was normal. I experienced the same thing for about three weeks. Then once I was keto-adapted, my energy came back. What helps is upping the water, and taking in more potassium, magnesium and sodium.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I believe this question was already thoroughly answered in your previous post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1347263-do-you-believe-in-strictly-calories-in-calories-out

I don't recall ever asking this question in that thread. That thread did get very, very long and someone else may have brought it up.

Are you saying you didn't keep up with the replies to your own post?

:huh:
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    there is more than just calories in calories out. There is hormonal regulation to weight loss. I've seen fitness/bikini competitors eating 1100 calories a day and doing double session cardios plus weight training and not drop a pound. It doesnt make any sense but it happens. There is so much that is unknown when it comes to weight loss.
  • TutuMom41
    Options
    there is more than just calories in calories out. There is hormonal regulation to weight loss. I've seen fitness/bikini competitors eating 1100 calories a day and doing double session cardios plus weight training and not drop a pound. It doesnt make any sense but it happens. There is so much that is unknown when it comes to weight loss.

That is not humanly possible