Egg Fast!! Who's in?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I am so confused. I may have missed it - but are there any fruits and veggies on this (other than avocados)?

I was wondering this also.

Also, really, a half dozen eggs a day plus a slice of cheese and tablespoon of butter per egg? Isn't that tons of calories? And the eggs are just going to be swimming in cheese and butter.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am so confused. I may have missed it - but are there any fruits and veggies on this (other than avocados)?

Also, really, a half dozen eggs a day plus a slice of cheese and tablespoon of butter per egg? Isn't that tons of calories? And the eggs are just going to be swimming in cheese and butter.

Someone figured it up somewhere up thread. It came to 1150ish in eggs/butter (minimum) plus the cheese. So somewhere around 1700-1800 calories.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Someone figured it up somewhere up thread. It came to 1150ish in eggs/butter (minimum) plus the cheese. So somewhere around 1700-1800 calories.

So, a normal amount of calories, but only eggs, cheese, butter, and those few other things (avocado and soy milk or something).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

So, a normal amount of calories, but only eggs, cheese, butter, and those few other things (avocado and soy milk or something).

Yep on the low end. Could be more I guess-- I didn't see if anyone figured out what the upper end would be.

I mean, the calorie level could be worse. The nutrient levels could be better, but for 3 days it's probably harmless. But I still don't think it's a good policy to get started with these types of overly restrictive diets.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    What the heck is this?

OP, why don't you just restrict your overall calories and exercise like the rest of us on here?
    You may lose weight but you will gain it right back because you're obviously not going to be eating eggs for the rest of your life.
    I hate when people don't want to actually create a calorie deficit and exercise - they'd rather try a fad diet for 3 days and then go back to normal. It's stupid.

Create a calorie deficit for yourself and exercise at least 30 minutes every day. You may not drop the weight in 3 days like you would on this "egg diet", but it will be long term weight loss and healthier.

Well you're not paying attention at all. I do count calories and create a deficit. I also exercise daily. I also eat very healthy foods.

So, what is the point of this 3 day egg fast? What do you plan to accomplish that can't be accomplished with a daily caloric deficit, healthy food plan and daily exericise??
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Yep on the low end. Could be more I guess-- I didn't see if anyone figured out what the upper end would be.

I mean, the calorie level could be worse. The nutrient levels could be better, but for 3 days it's probably harmless. But I still don't think it's a good policy to get started with these types of overly restrictive diets.

Oh, I guess I wasn't following it very well. 3 days is ok. I don't see the purpose. But, it's ok if she loves eggs, butter and cheese. She may feel hungry taking in such dense calories, and not being filled up with more bulk to the food.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    or why not just eat a healthy balanced diet? this is pointless
  • snapdragon1231
    snapdragon1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start a chocolate diet. Who's in?!
    I will modify this a bit to include French fries becuase you need to throw a vegtable in there to make it healthy.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, a 6 egg omelette with 1 tablespoon of butter, and a couple ounces of cheese for breakfast would probably be a better idea. Theres even room for fresh veg in there too, and its less fat and cals than spreading it out the whole day.

Eta: you can even throw in a can or two of tuna for some extra bro-tein.
  • honeytgb
    honeytgb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it works out.
    But then again three days is hardly enough time to make any useful observation.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Hi, op I don't know if you're still here, but this is unnecessary. If you're stalling, you may just be eating more than you think. My weight always goes down, goes up a bit, stalls, then goes down, all within a month or 2 month period. With so little to lose, it's just going to take a while. I'm now at maintenance, but the last 2 lbs took me almost two months to get it off. But it always comes off. You just have to be patient. Sorry people are having fun at your expense. But this isn't a good idea. Just be patient and continue eating at a deficit and working out.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I've been doing a relatively low carb diet for almost 3 weeks. I lost 5 lbs in the first week, but have been stuck for about 2 weeks now. I've been reading about this egg fast and I'm pretty interested in trying it. I'm going to plan to do it for 3 days, starting Monday July 21st, and see how it goes from there. Here are the official rules:

1. Must eat eggs as the primary source of fat and protein.
    2. 1 tablespoon of butter used per egg consumed.
    3. I must eat an egg no later than 30 minutes after waking. (This is when Im going to have my unsweetened soy milk latte instead)
    4. The egg meals ideally should be eaten every 3 hours, but not more than every 5 hours.
    5. I will follow this schedule even if I’m not hungry, however I’ll only have 1 egg when that happens.
    6. Cheese will be permitted up to one ounce per egg.
    7. A minimum of a half-dozen eggs must be consumed daily.
    8. The eggs will be local pastured eggs loaded with healthy omega-3 fats and vitamin D. (this was his personal preference)
    9. Egg consumption will cease three hours before bedtime
    10. Diet soda will be allowed up to 3 cans daily with a goal of 1 or less. (I may have one as a treat at night)

I am making a couple small adjustments for myself, I'm allowing myself one cup of unsweetened soy milk each morning for my latte. The soy milk I have has only 3 net carbs (or less if I mix it with half unsweetened almond milk). I think that should be ok, and it will help me stick with the diet because I can't survive without my morning lattes :S. I'm also including avocado because It's high fat and low carb and delicious...and it resembles an egg...seems like it's meant to be :) haha. Avocados are also low in protein, so they're pretty perfect. I am going to keep it as low carb as possible, while staying high in fat and with moderate protein.

I would love to find other people who want to join me in this challenge. We can post progress and keep each other motivated.

Like I said, I'm starting this Monday, so that gives a little time to go out and buy some eggs, cheese, butter, whatever.

OP profile pic shows a very thin woman. Why the hell would you go on a fad diet?
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi, op I don't know if you're still here, but this is unnecessary. If you're stalling, you may just be eating more than you think. My weight always goes down, goes up a bit, stalls, then goes down, all within a month or 2 month period. With so little to lose, it's just going to take a while. I'm now at maintenance, but the last 2 lbs took me almost two months to get it off. But it always comes off. You just have to be patient. Sorry people are having fun at your expense. But this isn't a good idea. Just be patient and continue eating at a deficit and working out.

Op is stalling because they are very thin according to the Profile pic
  • missliv85
    missliv85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ignore the low-carb haters. They do this to ANYONE who DARES to eat differently than they do. Anyways, on to your post. I did something similar to that a couple of weeks back, but it was closer to a fat fast than an egg fast. I lost 6 lbs and re-gained two of them before Shark Week hit. Two weeks isn't a stall. If you're not losing on 1200-1400 a day, either you're eating more than you think, or you have entered PISS, or Post-Induction Stall Syndrome. It happens. I wouldn't do an egg fast or a fat fast UNLESS you've been stalled for a month or more. Go on this site and figure out your macros, and just try it out for a month. If you still see no change, then MAYBE do a fat/egg fast.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't know what will happen with this 3 day diet. that's kind of the point of it, its an experiment. Ive read about a lot of people who have done similar things and have had great success. I expect Ill gain back half of whatever I lose, if I lose any. But it may be just what I need to do to get my carbs lower. And making rules like keeping to mostly eggs, just makes it simple. I was going to post my progress while on the diet, as well as what happens once I go off. I'm obviously no longer going to do that.

And to those that said I "stormed out", thats not what I did. I couldn't keep up with it, and the majority of it was silly or negative so why bother. Do a little research on LCHF diets. Google it and educate yourself. There are also lots of books dedicated to it. I came back because I noticed the post above just as I was leaving. Why should I miss the posts of the people who understand and have experience with LCHF? I'll ignore the people who are just flapping their lips and I'll read and respond to the ones who have experience (no, not just the one who agree with me. They don't need to agree with me, but as long as they have knowledge, backed up by facts, then Im willing to listen)
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Op is stalling because they are very thin according to the Profile pic

Yea, I see her pic. I am also fairly thin, which is why I mentioned that it took me 2months almost to lose the last two pounds. It just takes forever if you're thin. There's no reason to start some silly diet. I understand the frustration, but it's a test in patience :) I stalled for the longest, but I just kept at a deficit and working out. Finally reached my goal yesterday! Haha those last few lbs are a freaking beast lol
  • honeytgb
    honeytgb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How about the idea that you're probably at your optimum weight, and that you should get off the weight-loss train?
    Maybe all you need is further toning up (if at all).
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Ignore the low-carb haters. They do this to ANYONE who DARES to eat differently than they do. Anyways, on to your post. I did something similar to that a couple of weeks back, but it was closer to a fat fast than an egg fast. I lost 6 lbs and re-gained two of them before Shark Week hit. Two weeks isn't a stall. If you're not losing on 1200-1400 a day, either you're eating more than you think, or you have entered PISS, or Post-Induction Stall Syndrome. It happens. I wouldn't do an egg fast or a fat fast UNLESS you've been stalled for a month or more. Go on this site and figure out your macros, and just try it out for a month. If you still see no change, then MAYBE do a fat/egg fast.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't know what will happen with this 3 day diet. that's kind of the point of it, its an experiment. Ive read about a lot of people who have done similar things and have had great success. I expect Ill gain back half of whatever I lose, if I lose any. But it may be just what I need to do to get my carbs lower. And making rules like keeping to mostly eggs, just makes it simple. I was going to post my progress while on the diet, as well as what happens once I go off. I'm obviously no longer going to do that.

And to those that said I "stormed out", thats not what I did. I couldn't keep up with it, and the majority of it was silly or negative so why bother. Do a little research on LCHF diets. Google it and educate yourself. There are also lots of books dedicated to it. I came back because I noticed the post above just as I was leaving. Why should I miss the posts of the people who understand and have experience with LCHF? I'll ignore the people who are just flapping their lips and I'll read and respond to the ones who have experience (no, not just the one who agree with me. They don't need to agree with me, but as long as they have knowledge, backed up by facts, then Im willing to listen)

Do a little research on why weight loss slows when you have less to lose ... it is more appropriate to your situation than LCHF. You still haven't explained why you posted a diet filled with must do items that you then choose to alter ... thereby negating the need to follow the rules.

You also said you were done with this thread yet keep posting. It seems integrity is an issue for you.
  • Mrdoherty
    Mrdoherty Posts: 3
    Options
    I think I am going to enjoy this group of people. lmao. :huh:
  • missliv85
    missliv85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Do a little research on why weight loss slows when you have less to lose ... it is more appropriate to your situation than LCHF. You still haven't explained why you posted a diet filled with must do items that you then choose to alter ... thereby negating the need to follow the rules.

You also said you were done with this thread yet keep posting. It seems integrity is an issue for you.

I adapted the rules to me. Because I felt some were silly and I took them more as guidelines. Adding avocado is a good choice and says nothing about my integrity. And I also explained why I reopened the post. Its the same reason I posted in the first place, to talk to people who have knowledge and experience with the type of diet I am choosing. I just need to block out the fluff. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, and Im not forcing anyone to do it. Its a diet that is NOT dangerous, its a 3 day experiment to see if it help me lose my last few pounds.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I adapted the rules to me. Because I felt some were silly and I took them more as guidelines. Adding avocado is a good choice and says nothing about my integrity. And I also explained why I reopened the post. Its the same reason I posted in the first place, to talk to people who have knowledge and experience with the type of diet I am choosing. I just need to block out the fluff. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, and Im not forcing anyone to do it. Its a diet that is NOT dangerous, its a 3 day experiment to see if it help me lose my last few pounds.

Yet you get upset when others think the diet is silly when your own actions show that you do as well. Hypocrisy at its finest.