Good mile time?

Options
124»

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    running? biking? driving? it all depends......
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If it's your first mile race, you are going to set a PR no matter what. Just run hard and have fun. It's only a mile, so you can't really mess it up too bad.

Oh I'm pretty sure I could mess it up if I was to start out too fast.... Even if it's ''only a mile''.
  • joebeana
    joebeana Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Oh I'm pretty sure I could mess it up if I was to start out too fast.... Even if it's ''only a mile''.

Judging from your 5K time, I'd say go for a 6:40-6:45 mile.
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the "race yourself" posts. That really is the best advice. Run at a good pace for you then try to beat it the next time out. And, so on.

To give you an actual number, I average about an 11 min/mile. I'm 37. Nope, it's not fast, but it works for me. My goal this summer/fall is to get to 10.5. My sis-in-law is 31 and she averages about a 9.5 to a 10 min/mile. My other MFP friends that run average anywhere between an 8.5 and a 12 min/mile.

Good luck to you!

EDIT - and I just looked at your profile, OP, and see you are quite an accomplished runner, so ignore everything I posted above. :) Next time maybe a word or two about where you're currently at, so all of us slowpokes who think we're helping just move on to the next post.

I run an 11/min mile and am pretty darn proud of it. I started off just walking so it has taken me a while to get to this point. I hope to increase my speed at some point, but right now I am working on distance. I am 33 years old and have never enjoyed running until now.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless... A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Food for thought.. Plenty of seasoned runners may have a slower mile time than someone else yet have a better marathon time. What kinda runner do you want to be?

I guess clarification is necessary

"proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless..."

Her initial post makes her sound like a complete amateur, so, thats my response.

"A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile."

Someone who easily runs a 6 minute mile obviously has more stamina and could have went faster. Who the hell runs 1 mile competitively? Go for distance or go for speed. Nobody gives a damn about anyone's mile (nor did she say she was racing a mile). So, yes, I was mostly referring to pace.

About the sloppy joes. Yes.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless... A sloppy 6 minute mile isn't the same a a graceful 6 minute mile.

Food for thought.. Plenty of seasoned runners may have a slower mile time than someone else yet have a better marathon time. What kinda runner do you want to be?

"proper training will turn you into a good runner so long as your body mechanics aren't prohibitive... to look at it any other way is useless..."

Her initial post makes her sound like a complete amateur, so, thats my response.

Someone who easily runs a 6 minute mile obviously has more stamina and could have went faster. Who the hell runs 1 mile competitively? Go for distance or go for speed. Nobody gives a damn about anyone's mile (nor did she say she was racing a mile). So, yes, I was mostly referring to pace.

I think anyone that runs the Wanamaker Mile and Dream Mile races give a damn as well as anyone trying to beat the current mile world record holders (Mens: Morocco's Hicham El Guerrouj, 3:43.13 and Womens: Svetlana Masterkova, 4:12.56).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Her initial post makes her sound like an experienced runner who is asking about a mile race.

A newbie would ask something like "what's your average minutes per mile pace?"
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Her initial post makes her sound like an experienced runner who is asking about a mile race.

A newbie would ask something like "what's your average minutes per mile pace?"

While I disagree with most of his post, to be fair, I also assumed she was a newer runner. It wasn't until someone point out her 5k time that I realized she probably wasn't.
    The question was open to interpretation. I did assume we were talking about one mile as fast as possible though.

As to the above - as noted, plenty of people race a mile.
    I dare say the vast majority care as much about your mile time as they do your marathon time.
    Most of the fast mile runners I know are also fast at other distances. Distance isn't necessarily king. Each distance has their challenges.