How did you know you were marrying the right person?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Some of you guys make me think I could never get married. I also don't know if I can dedicate someone 5 years min of my life to see if they are "the one".

Pretty good indicator that you're just not ready in general. You may never be...not everyone gets married.

Dating my wife for 5 years before we were married wasn't some kind of hardship or test...we were just dating and five years happened to fly by...it wasn't like I had a stop watch going or something.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Im getting a divorce soooooo ..... apparantly I didn't marry the right person LOL

The wife and I have an opening for a.......ummmm......French maid. Job comes with it's own uniform and everything. :tongue: :laugh:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Do you guys have offshore accounts or secret assets?

:huh: No. Are you implying a need to hide money from your spouse?

My dad once said every man should, because you always need a backup plan.

Hiding things from each other is an excellent foundation for a marriage.
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Great job! Congratulations!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    To be honest it kinda blows my mind that people could get married. Idk I just cant imagine myself thinking, "This is the person i want to spend the rest of my life with." Wouldn't you get bored seeing the same person everyday? How are you so sure that person is the one? What does it feel like? It just seems very scary to me.
    When you meet the right person none of these things matter - you never ever contemplate that you could get bored. You really have to work at marriage though and even when I feel like chucking it all in I remind myself why I married him and why it's worth working at it.

When I met my husband he was the opposite of the sort of person I'd usually be attracted to. The fact that he didn't snore and wasn't a sports fanatic was a bonus. Opposites do attract but you need some things in common too.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    You know, it kinda comes with dating around and getting to know people. Every guy I dated there was an obvious deal-breaker that I knew I couldn't live with for the rest of my life, even if I loved him; bad with money, doesn't want kids, no physical attraction, not very bright, etc. When I met my fiance, I kept waiting for there to be a deal-breaker, but there wasn't one. We are ridiculously compatible in all the ways that are most important to me.

How do I know he's the right person? I don't know for sure, but I know that he's "right" in the ways that every other guy has been "wrong." That sounds too logical, and probably not romantic enough. But it's the truth.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    If you still consider having any offshore accounts and hiding anything from the girl, she's not "the one". Simple.

You'll know that you're ready to marry that person when there's no need to ask "how?"
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    I was 19 he was 28. I didn't even want to date him but I relented. 8 years and 3 kids later he gets cancer. For the next 11 years Iooked after him for better or for worse, in sickness and in health til death us did part. I actually had people ask me how I could stay with such a sick man. But when its meant to be love can almost conquer anything. We had 19 good years and would most likely still be married if he was alive.
    I am remarried and what we have is different but its still a good thing. You never know what is around the corner you just deal with what you are dealt.
  • I totally married the wrong person the first time. I've been divorced almost a year now. All I can say is make sure her sammich making skills are up to par before saying "I Do"

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa there's that sammich thing again! That's the funniest joke EVER.

nNWFKzX.jpg
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    It is different for everyone. For me, I knew my husband was the one when I didn't have even the least bit of interest in another man. I still don't, six years later. For me, he was the one who made me a priority and was always good to me. He was the one who I wanted to be the father to my then future children.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    17 years and the jury is still out!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    All I can say is, marry your best friend.

I did, and he makes his own damn sammiches.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    To be honest it kinda blows my mind that people could get married. Idk I just cant imagine myself thinking, "This is the person i want to spend the rest of my life with." Wouldn't you get bored seeing the same person everyday? How are you so sure that person is the one? What does it feel like? It just seems very scary to me.

Just don't get married then. Marriage isn't for everyone and you can still be in a serious long-term relationship without getting married.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    I met my wife on her first date with my best friend. I don't believe in love at first sight but I told him that if he ever broke up with her, I would marry her.

A couple years later, he finally broke up with her, and we joked that I had always said that but of course it would never happen, ha ha!

Then about six months later we went to a movie as "friends" and somehow by the end of the night it was a date.

I think what pushed me over the edge was when she started doing things I didn't expect -- but I liked! For example, I had heard that a friend of my mom's had paid $75 for one glass of wine (this was in 1988!). I asked if she would ever do that and she said "it depends on the occasion." I totally expected her to say "never," but this was much more intriguing.

She's never stopped surprising me, and we've now been married nearly 25 years.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    You'll know if and when it's right. I was engaged to a guy for 6 months, and I arrived at the decision it would have never worked for us. My light bulb moment was 4 months into the engagement, I had long heart to heart conversations with co-workers about how miserable I was. But, also, everyone else saw it was a disaster before I even had an inkling. So, trust yourself and trust those closest to you that know you best.

So, here I am, 30 and unmarried, but I know a dodged a MAJOR bullet in breaking off my engagement and sending him packing.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Well. I wanted milk, so I figured I may as well buy a cow.

What???? What does that have to do with anything? You bought a cow..??

:laugh: :laugh: ahh I don't know why I find your response so funny but I do.

seriously though marriage does sound like way too much trouble for so much that could go horribly wrong. But maybe that's cause I'm young and too damn lazy to make any relationships work. :ohwell:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I've been with my husband almost 15 years (married 10). He's tall, funny, and makes good money. What else is there?
  • _Risko_
    _Risko_ Posts: 183 Member
    When she said "yes." 32 years later, still going strong.

In all seriousness, marry your best friend.
  • _Risko_
    _Risko_ Posts: 183 Member
    It is different for everyone. For me, I knew my husband was the one when I didn't have even the least bit of interest in another man. I still don't, six years later. For me, he was the one who made me a priority and was always good to me. He was the one who I wanted to be the father to my then future children.

I like this answer. Very cool!!