How did you know you were marrying the right person?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    IN
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think there is a "right" person.

I agree
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    We had a long engagement, plus I'd known him since high school. We've been married for 13 years, together for 21. There's never been anyone else for me, he's my one true love.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    the unintentional hilarity of this post is outstanding
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I knew my husband was the one I should marry because he was the first guy I was with that I didn't feel a need to change him in any way... instead of finding some of his habits annoying, I thought they were endearing. I found myself wanting to be a better person, for him, without him asking for it. It was almost painful trying to picture a future without him. And he was also the only guy I was ever completely comfortable around, and not afraid to be myself. He became my best friend in a very short time. And I knew within 3 months of going out with him the first time that I wanted to marry him. I even told my mom "I'm gonna marry this guy, he just doesn't know it yet."

It helped that we have a lot in common, and almost always have something to talk about... and we can talk for hours, still, after being together for almost 6 years, and married for 3.

And I love hearing my single friends tell me they want a relationship like we have... makes me feel like a role model. :P
  • _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    This thread is more sappy than I expected it to be... :sick:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You seem very needy today
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    No younger person getting married ever realized that it is not about the person they are marrying today, but who that person will be in the future. How you handle each others growth and lives will be what decided if you will endure. How you handle it is simply a choice. If you are predisposed to believing you will get bored, you will look at enduring time with that person as boring. If you are always looking around sexual thinking you want something different, you will never be happy with what you have. If all you think about is yourself...don't get married because it should never be that selfish.

So how do you know it is the right person? Personally it is more about timing, and being in a place you are mature enough to handle those choices that about it being that perfect one that will be everything forever.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    That said, I am going back to bang, pass, flirt and drink with that 8/10 folks.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    pDGC1-12183974v380.jpg
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I knew my fiancee was right for me when I accepted the fact that we are going to grow and change and some days we might not even like each other but we were excited and happy for the adventure of exploring life, pain, pleasure and just plain boredom all, together, instead of alone.

The other person in a marriage isn't meant to be the fun exciting part (though they might be), life is the exciting bit, the other person is someone to share all the awesome experiences you are going to have with. Because life is better shared.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I would of waited to get married at least a couple years, if I knew I wouldn't be able to have children. I got married at 19, because my mom was insanely religious and a little bit abuse, so I was petrified she would find out I was having sex, or worse get pregnant out of wedlock! So I quickly married my high school sweetheart. I was in love with him then, always have and always will be, but we've both said if we would of known what we know now we wouldn't have rushed and all.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have offshore accounts or secret assets?

We both still have separate bank accounts. I run a business and he has expensive hobbies, so... there's less fighting this way. We keep discussing getting a joint account, but at this point I'm not sure what the point would be exactly.
  • roenutrition
    roenutrition Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Marriage is a challenge that requires patience, compromise and commitment. At times it can be tough. Many treat it like a video game. When they get tired of it they simply quit. Just do us a favor. If you can't make a commitment to anyone for longer than 5 minutes please don't bring a child into the world. Children need a mother and father and commitment.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Marry the person who makes you a better person, who evens you out and grounds you. Who sees the best in you, even at your worst. Who you want to be with when the **** hits the fan. Someone who has the same core values as you, whether or not you agree on the details. Marry the person who fights fair, who loves you through the bickering, the sleepless nights, the car accidents, the time you did that thing that was totally your fault and ruined the vacation.

Marry someone you can love through the horrible stuff in life, because you can love nearly anyone in the good times.
  • andrewlamarlindsay
    Options
    I doesn't matter if the person you are marrying is the right person or not. You start with commitment and then you work towards that person becoming the right person. (That is, you change so that person is the right person. You don't work to have the other changing.)

I look at the example set by my friends that had arranged marriages. They are all very happily married. They started with the commitment then changed themselves to love the other.

I'm old enough and have been married long enough to know this works. 30 years and I can say that it was on our wedding day that I loved my wife the least. :-)
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, marry your best friend.

Or don't. There's no need to. I always said I would never get married, never wanted the whole white wedding bleh. It's different for everyone, some people grow up with scrapbooks of dresses and churches and the expectation it's the biggest/best day of their lives. Not everyone is the same or has the same expectations.

As for secret assets/accounts - to love someone you need to be able to trust someone totally, and vice versa. Trust and respect are just words until you find somone who means a lot to you, then you need to be able to mean them.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I just knew. The first time I got married, I was 18 and doing what I thought I should do with my first serious boyfriend. 4 1/2 years later, we split up, 10 months after that, I met the man that ended up being my best friend and soul mate. Marrying him felt so right. We've been together for 24 years, married for 22 of them and are still best friends. Yes, there are ups and downs, but the ups far outweigh the downs, and we are both happy with each other and plan on spending the rest of our lives together.