Diet Soda's and Metabolic rate

Options
12346»

Replies

• BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It's not good for you by all means, but it has never affected my weight loss because it has no calories in it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Zevia is more expensive but supposed to be a better alternative diet soda.

I understand the diet=chemicals stuff, believe me I do, but I am desperate to lose weight, and I am all about the numbers, so diet pop helps me keep my calorie numbers down.
    You should start understanding the every single thing in existence = chemicals stuff too.
    And this means they all belong in our bodies?
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am a big diet cola fan. I never drink soda, but when I do it's a coke zero. I only recently started getting on this kick of craving it (Because it's free at work). I was wondering if drinking too much diet soda's (well artificial sweeteners in general) will hinder my weight loss? I heard many mixed things about it, and I have well over 5 packets of equal a day for my 2-3 coffee's and 1-2 coke zeros.

OP: I'm only going to answer the question you asked: Will drinking too much diet soda hinder your weight loss? I don't know. I can only tell you that it hasn't hindered mine. I drink 2-3 cans of Diet Pepsi per day.
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you know, I use to drink a lot of Diet Mountain Dew. My boss told me to be careful - that particular brand of diet soda is known for giving kidney stones (I work in a hospital environment). Since then, I cut down. Don't know if it's true, but thought I would pass on the information.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am a big diet cola fan. I never drink soda, but when I do it's a coke zero. I only recently started getting on this kick of craving it (Because it's free at work). I was wondering if drinking too much diet soda's (well artificial sweeteners in general) will hinder my weight loss? I heard many mixed things about it, and I have well over 5 packets of equal a day for my 2-3 coffee's and 1-2 coke zeros.

Aspartame should be illegal. Aspartame is turned into a compound that is used to help preserve bodies for the funneral. And when you drink aspartame your body converts aspartame into the compound. You're drinking poison when it comes to aspartame. I stopped getting these awful migraines when I stopped drinking anything with aspartame in it.

your call but personally for me, I wouldn't be caught dead drinking the stuff

Formaldehyde? Really? Do you even know how thoroughly that myth has been debunked already, for years now?

Not to mention that you absorb more formaldehyde from your environment than is possible from drinking aspartame beverages. Do you use shampoo, conditioner, lotion, deodorant, etc? You are probably absorbing formaldehyde from the preservatives (Diazolidinyl urea, DMDM Hydantoin, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, and Methylisothiazolinone are all formaldehyde releasing). Do you buy new clothes and bedding and don't wash them before using? You are absorbing formaldehyde which is used as a temporary soil release and anti-wrinkle fabric treatment. Have you ever had a Brazilian blowout? You inhaled a lot of formaldehyde.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    diet soda's are good at being calorie free but it's like drinking poison, years ago i used to drink diet coke everyday and it was so addicting i could drink a 12 pack in one day, i stopped drinking it and had awful migraines. so now i drink perrier, it has the fizz without the other crap.

That's probably the caffeine withdrawal.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you the truth.

Everyone is different. Everyone responds differently to different chemicals. There may be absolutely no impact on you drinking a dozen cans of Coke Zero while for someone else there may be a big impact. The important thing to do is test it out and determine for yourself whether or not Coke Zero is having an impact on you. Not necessarily your metabolic rate, but the whole you.

I, personally, cannot have aspartame or sucralose or AceK as there is a chemical reaction in my body that gives me headaches. The severity of the headache is an indication of how much of the artificial sweetener I have consumed. Other people can drink it with no side effects. For every (what did that one commenter call it?) "peer reviewed" article saying that there is no impact I can find a corresponding article that says artificial sweeteners do have an impact. It depends on what you are trying to measure and the people in the experiment.

If you have a concern do a controlled experiment, try it yourself and make the right decision for you.

Basic biochemistry is the same for all humans within a narrow range unless they have a medical issue which causes a different biochemical reaction. Our bodies do not work differently except for outliers with abnormalities.

Marry me.

I already have the most amazing and awesome boyfriend in the world, and plan to marry the everliving f*** out of him when the time is right.We'll be serving diet soda at our wedding reception. But I'm sure you're nice too!

"and plan to marry the everliving f*** out of him when the time is right" this part had me in stiches
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I understand the diet=chemicals stuff, believe me I do, but I am desperate to lose weight, and I am all about the numbers, so diet pop helps me keep my calorie numbers down.
    You should start understanding the every single thing in existence = chemicals stuff too.
    Chemical alarmism is probably one of the stupidest things to happen in nutrition. "Oh no that flavour was made artificially, it's going to kill my whole family!" Or my personal favorite "Oh no there's something in the ingredients I can't pronounce! I won't eat it because I can't be assed to look what it even is!" Ascorbic acid? No thank you! Chemicals like that are not welcome in my body. Now excuse me as I eat some fruit.

People don't bother to look into things and refuse things just because they sound chemical or because the cousin of their wife's sister's hairdresser told them they read something somewhere and that's how threads like this happened and why not even the pinned aspartame thread at the very top of the page won't stop them from happening.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Chemical alarmism is probably one of the stupidest things to happen in nutrition. "Oh no that flavour was made artificially, it's going to kill my whole family!" Or my personal favorite "Oh no there's something in the ingredients I can't pronounce! I won't eat it because I can't be assed to look what it even is!" Ascorbic acid? No thank you! Chemicals like that are not welcome in my body. Now excuse me as I eat some fruit.

People don't bother to look into things and refuse things just because they sound chemical or because the cousin of their wife's sister's hairdresser told them they read something somewhere and that's how threads like this happened and why not even the pinned aspartame thread at the very top of the page won't stop them from happening.

This is what gets me about the whole MSG thing. People think it is a lab-made chemical and really bad for you. The reality is that it is a salt of an abundant amino acid that occurs naturally and is extracted through fermentation from seaweed or, more commonly, from sugar beets.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Again, does this mean they all belong in our bodies? That they are ALL some how inert?
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Soda is general is very bad for your teeth. Be careful with how much you drink. I was an avid soda drinker and when I saw my dentist, I wore off so much of my enamel that my teeth literally sounded "crunchy" when she scraped them. She said that I'm actually wearing holes in my teeth because of it. Scary stuff. If you do choose to drink it, it might be good to wash it down with some water or something so it doesn't sit on your teeth.

In terms of weight loss though, I don't think it hurts. Sometimes people think that getting a diet drink means they can eat more calories on something else which can be detrimental. Don't have this mindset and you'll be fine.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Again, does this mean they all belong in our bodies? That they are ALL some how inert?

No of course not, it just means that something being a "chemical" is not a means of judging whether or not its good for you, neutral or bad for you. It is non-informative information that many people seem to think means something. Everything we ingest is a chemical, some are good and some are bad and saying that it is "a chemical" tells you absolutely nothing about its effects. No one here is saying that it is a chemical therefore it is good for you, people are saying that stating it is a chemical doesn't mean anything. Our bodies are chemical engines, everything we eat is chemical and our metabolic processes that provide us with energy are all chemically driven.

Saying "its a chemical" tells you nothing.

Its like asking someone to guess a number between 1 and infinity and when they ask you for a hint you say "Sure, the number I am thinking of is positive". All numbers between 1 and infinity are positive so it does nothing to narrow it down.

"What foods should I eat? Well avoid ones with chemicals" is about as helpful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

No of course not, it just means that something being a "chemical" is not a means of judging whether or not its good for you, neutral or bad for you. It is non-informative information that many people seem to think means something. Everything we ingest is a chemical, some are good and some are bad and saying that it is "a chemical" tells you absolutely nothing about its effects. No one here is saying that it is a chemical therefore it is good for you, people are saying that stating it is a chemical doesn't mean anything. Our bodies are chemical engines, everything we eat is chemical and our metabolic processes that provide us with energy are all chemically driven.

Its like asking someone to guess a number between 1 and infinity and when they ask you for a hint you say "Sure, the number I am thinking of is positive". All numbers between 1 and infinity are positive so it does nothing to narrow it down.

I don't disagree then. I do disagree when folks say: eat x, because well, a lemon is chemicals too
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I don't disagree then. I do disagree when folks say: eat x, because well, a lemon is chemicals too

I'm not sure I've ever say anyone say that though. The only time I've seen it said is as a retort in the context of someone saying "don't eat X, it is a chemical"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm not sure I've ever say anyone say that though. The only time I've seen it said is as a retort in the context of someone saying "don't eat X, it is a chemical"
    And even as a retort, it's still silly.
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    All I drink is diet cola, and I lose just fine. I'm drinking a bit more flavored carbonated water now, Clear American.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Edited because I decided the original post contributed nothing positive to the discussion.
    Sorry. Nothing here to see.