How can someone get to 538lbs?

Options

Replies

• amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I'm tearing up now...Anyhow, I feel the same way, as if I wasted my middle 20's being morbidly obese and weighing over 200 pounds and being the butt of everyone's jokes. Now, I'm scrambling to make up for lost times!!! I love your post, and I can relate to the pain of not feeling loved. At least you came about and did something about it, and you are to be commended for that!!!
  • michaelosx
    michaelosx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lukewind,

You are AWESOME!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My dad didn't hug me. My mom said i love you 3 times growing up. Kids picked on me. I quit college because of my I.D picture. My niece died. Yep, didn't blame anything. And 34 complaining about mommy and daddy hugging? Comon. I have an opinion just like anyone else and I wish the guy all the best. That's plenty of motivation.

I don't think your reading comprehension skills ever surpassed that of a second grader.

Thanks for quoting him before he edited the rest of that drivel out. Wow.

I hate to derail this even more, but for those reporting him, please be sure to mention to the mods that he edited his posts and the original of what was said is still on the thread though.

I'm sure he's trying to get around being reported. but enough of "that" guy. Back to the OP :)
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Funny everyone on here saying anything to me has 4k, 5k, 6k, 9k posts. I wonder why?

I am not sure why you feel the need to try and tear people down, usually that is the sign of a person with severe emotional problems.

People lash out because of their doubts about themselves. Hell I know because I have done it myself. If you read my story instead of skimming you would know that even though at one point I might have blamed others for some of my issues I do not do that anymore and I take full responsibility for how big I got. I don't want sympathy or anything like it because it doesn't really help. Kind words are always nice and I appreciate everyone who had some kinds words to say. My post was about a question that I get quite often when people find out how much I weighed and its a question a lot of people get and so many just can't comprehend. All I wanted to do was address that question with some honesty. You cry excuses, but people do certain things for certain reasons. I was simply explaining the reason why I ate so much. I fully admit that I was wrong but that doesn't change how I felt at the time.

I assume you are attention seeking and I appreciate that you at least wished me well but saying it like that is quite passive aggressive and very childish. I wish you luck with your health goals.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and giving us a chance to understand.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, understanding your "WHY" is the first step to finding your "HOW" when it comes to change.

OP, you figured out your WHY - why you gained weight, why your turned to food, why you did the things you did.
    Being aware of that WHY gives you the ability to recognize when it crops up, and learn to fight it and replace it with healthier choices.

Many people with large amounts of weight to lose gained that weight because of the temporary emotional comfort that eating gives. (Just like other addictions do too - drinking, smoking, gambling, and yes... SPORTS).

Finding a way to address the emotional need with a healthy option is what is necessary to reverse that trend and the OP has been doing that.

OP - I would encourage you to turn this into a blog series. This post talks about your why, but I'd love to read about what happened next. How did you start to change? How did you lose this weight... It would be an amazing series to read!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing op.

Please ignore the one lone sad voice and focus on everyone else who thanks you for sharing and congratulates you on the weigh loss you have achieved so far :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Funny everyone on here saying anything to me has 4k, 5k, 6k, 9k posts. I wonder why?
    Good for you for noticing. You should heed their comments, since they are experienced, seasoned community members.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your post was excellent. You do take responsibility. And you share how you found your way through the pain that led you there. That is something just about anyone can benefit from, if they have been through things that impacted their life, and have had unhealthy coping methods. We need to face our shadows, to get out of them. We don't all have the same coping methods, but many of us do have coping methods. It takes work to shed the unhealthy ones, and choose and find healthy ones.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are proof positive, nothing is impossible, and you can do anything once you set your mind to it. Thank you.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I am not sure why you feel the need to try and tear people down, usually that is the sign of a person with severe emotional problems.

People lash out because of their doubts about themselves. Hell I know because I have done it myself. If you read my story instead of skimming you would know that even though at one point I might have blamed others for some of my issues I do not do that anymore and I take full responsibility for how big I got. I don't want sympathy or anything like it because it doesn't really help. Kind words are always nice and I appreciate everyone who had some kinds words to say. My post was about a question that I get quite often when people find out how much I weighed and its a question a lot of people get and so many just can't comprehend. All I wanted to do was address that question with some honesty. You cry excuses, but people do certain things for certain reasons. I was simply explaining the reason why I ate so much. I fully admit that I was wrong but that doesn't change how I felt at the time.

I assume you are attention seeking and I appreciate that you at least wished me well but saying it like that is quite passive aggressive and very childish. I wish you luck with your health goals.

My intention wasn't to tear you down. Sometimes when I feel strongly about something I come off the wrong way. I don't believe in excuses or blaming others for anything. Everyone has the capacity to change their situation, and that's exactly what you're doing. If someone came up to me and asked "how'd you get so big dude," I'd tell them straight up I drink and eat to much. Not " Well, ya know, this happened, that happened." No, it's my fault. I wish you the best in the future.
  • lukewind
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the kind words for my post. I can tell that opening up has never been easy for me as I have been a solitary person for most my life. I truly appreciate you all. I have spent that last year plus reading all your stories and they have kept me going each and every day.

Thank You!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Dear Luke,

Thank you for sharing your story.....I too have been on this road, travelling along carrying my own burdens trying to drown them in food.

Thankfully you are well along on another road now.....don't look back with regret, it isn't a time that is wasted, don't believe that, please. You have grown so much as an individual during these bleak times and it has given you a unique perspective on life. I realise that your life was emotionally barren but you sound like you are very much in touch with feelings....I really believe your story will help and inspire many.

Congratulations on your loss and Best Wishes for continued Success.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't usually post twice in a thread but thought I'd throw this in. Having missed out, or 'wasted' some years as you put it, I hope you'll start enjoying yourself now, with MFP. Maybe, grow a goate beard, and get yourself a Harley :smile:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

My intention wasn't to tear you down. Sometimes when I feel strongly about something I come off the wrong way. I don't believe in excuses or blaming others for anything. Everyone has the capacity to change their situation, and that's exactly what you're doing. If someone came up to me and asked "how'd you get so big dude," I'd tell them straight up I drink and eat to much. Not " Well, ya know, this happened, that happened." No, it's my fault.

So... your "coming off the wrong way" is because you "feel strongly about something"?

Hm... interesting "excuse"

Everyone has reasons for why they do things. You just gave yours.

ETA: Many felt your behavior was unacceptable. But you gave justification for it. Many felt the OPs behavior (eating) was unacceptable. He gave his justification for it, accepted that it was wrong thinking, and changed his ways. I hope that you can do the same.
  • lukewind
    Options
    No problem man, but I think what you miss is the fact that human beings don't just eat 10k calories a day and make themselves miserable for no reason.

I encourage you to read the post again. I don't blame my parents or anyone else for my weight gain. I used food as a substitute for affection and it was wrong to do that, but that does not change it as the reason why I did it. I still see it as my fault but there is a reason. I think you are not separating what I said properly. I and I alone am responsible for each and every pound I gained. I know that and most fat people know that.
  • Maura2389
    Maura2389 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing as there are many of us larger bigger people that are trying to achieve massive amounts of weight loss and need the encouragement and proof that it is actually able to be done. :)

Keep up the good work. You are truly an inspiration.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You know what - your story so blew me away I went to send you a friend request - and realized you already ARE my friend!

I think you rock - keep up the great work!

B
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This made me cry and is incredibly inspirational. Thank you for sharing your story.
  • PinkInkAngel
    PinkInkAngel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can relate and have also gotten that question quite often, I was 430 and I think it is just people being curious because they cannot relate. They probably dont mean anything by it but wonder how it happens, it isnt an easy answer and often a painful story. I dont think anyone knows what it is like to live life carrying that much weight around or be able to relate unless you actually have been there. You are stared at, it is uncomfortable and you dont fit into chairs. I had people stare, laugh and make comments and was brought to tears on more than one occasion. No one wants to be big, and often times I found I wore my heart on my sleeve where others just joke about it and dont act like it bothers them. Some scars stay with you forever and make it hard to ever feel actually normal even today but I feel like I have a different life and am proud of what I have accomplished.

I like to show my pictures but not everyone agrees and think I shouldnt tell anyone... we are judged so much and even today I still have felt like I am not good enough. Hard not to let it get to you but it is life and that part doesnt go away... celebrate the small and BIG victories and dont let anyone dim your light... keep shinning and pushing forward. All of our struggles make us who we are and give us perspective and character. When you overcome something you become an inspiration to many struggling.... I just wish I had started exercising years ago, it really is fun and helps me stay positive. Congrats on your spirit and success, I wish you many more... it is hard breaking out of the shell after so long but I still try to get out of my comfort zone and try new things and be social...I struggled with that and still spend too much time sitting at home alone....enjoy life and when you do something you never thought you would be able to do it is an experience that you will never forget....I remember my first big hike...I think I cried from the emotions! And when I try on my old pants... I dont think I can believe that I used to be there....but I need to remind myself.

I hope you get out and have some fun and reach every goal you set for yourself :) Smile Always....Enjoy Life it really is a blessing!