How can someone get to 538lbs?

Options

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. You should be very proud of your progress both physically and emotionally.
  • Luuvy
    Luuvy Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Awww hugs to you! You are such an inspiration. Keep up the good work, you can do it.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Incredible post! I love when I get to read something so inspiring I get chills.

Kudos to you! You will most definitely reach your goal. :flowerforyou:
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, horrible, touching and inspiring. You have such honesty and an impressive generosity of spirit; you show no bitterness towards others. thank you for sharing this. You come across as very articulate, insightful and strong - in light of where you've come from and what you've been through that is a huge testament to your character. I have way less to lose but know I felt very daunted by the mountain I had to climb - I truly take my hat off to you for plugging away to get the great results so far. You clearly have a lot to give - there are good things ahead for you. Relish them, make up for lost time :)
    Finally, I am so very sorry for the loss of your niece. I also lost my closest family member and totally turned to food to, well, I don't really know, fill a gap, give me a brief moment of something resembling pleasure I suppose. Grief is cruel. It is long and it is hard and it is cruel.
    Well done. On so many levels well done.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This was one of the most emotionally inspiring things I've read on here in a while. Good job on seeing the problem and doing something about it. One really doesn't see the weight go up until it's too late. This happened to me, too. Proud of you though! Keep going! You're going fantastic!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I can relate and have also gotten that question quite often, I was 430 and I think it is just people being curious because they cannot relate. They probably dont mean anything by it but wonder how it happens, it isnt an easy answer and often a painful story. I dont think anyone knows what it is like to live life carrying that much weight around or be able to relate unless you actually have been there. You are stared at, it is uncomfortable and you dont fit into chairs. I had people stare, laugh and make comments and was brought to tears on more than one occasion. No one wants to be big, and often times I found I wore my heart on my sleeve where others just joke about it and dont act like it bothers them. Some scars stay with you forever and make it hard to ever feel actually normal even today but I feel like I have a different life and am proud of what I have accomplished.

I like to show my pictures but not everyone agrees and think I shouldnt tell anyone... we are judged so much and even today I still have felt like I am not good enough. Hard not to let it get to you but it is life and that part doesnt go away... celebrate the small and BIG victories and dont let anyone dim your light... keep shinning and pushing forward. All of our struggles make us who we are and give us perspective and character. When you overcome something you become an inspiration to many struggling.... I just wish I had started exercising years ago, it really is fun and helps me stay positive. Congrats on your spirit and success, I wish you many more... it is hard breaking out of the shell after so long but I still try to get out of my comfort zone and try new things and be social...I struggled with that and still spend too much time sitting at home alone....enjoy life and when you do something you never thought you would be able to do it is an experience that you will never forget....I remember my first big hike...I think I cried from the emotions! And when I try on my old pants... I dont think I can believe that I used to be there....but I need to remind myself.

I hope you get out and have some fun and reach every goal you set for yourself :) Smile Always....Enjoy Life it really is a blessing!

congrats to you too! :drinker:
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    :heart:

love this post. thank you for sharing, OP :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    awww OP I just wanna give you a big ol' hug :flowerforyou:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest I don't have a lot to lose and I have wondered how people gain hundreds of pounds. Thank you for being so candid about your story. You didn't have to share it with us. You could have just posted a Success Story in several months. But I'm glad you were so open. This is one of the best posts I've read on this site and I've been here for a while.

Good luck to you in your quest for a different body and better fitness. :drinker:
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    You are truly and inspiration and I am glad you are on my friends list. You have overcome so many battles in your life, I am proud of you and decisions you have made. Thank you for sharing your others. I know I can relate on a few aspects. Its nice to see we aren't alone. Thank you :)
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Great story, glad to see some positive change come out of such negative things that happened . People say that they can't get how someone can get to that much weight. I can. Life really can be ****ty, I was in a few situations very similar to yours and a lot of peoples. I've never had anyone super close to me pass like that, but have had a bunch of internal family dysfunction that laid such a heavy mental burden on me that all I often did was choose to comfort eat.

Life was ****ty, frankly. I had lost the weight before, but I had got hurt and regained it all and THEN some. On top of home problems, the injuries depressed me because they caused permanent damage. Greatly hurting my strength. This is one of the most demoralizing things that can happen to someone. Life isn't a whole lot better now, but I am in a more mentally positive situation and try to find all the positive things in life that are actually worth living for. There are people, places, and things out there that are absolutely worth improving your life to be a part of. THat's what I always tell myself on the days where I feel like sinking back into that hole.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    davidtennanthugyourightnow.gif?w=547

You rock OP!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Funny everyone on here saying anything to me has 4k, 5k, 6k, 9k posts. I wonder why?

I am not sure why you feel the need to try and tear people down, usually that is the sign of a person with severe emotional problems.

People lash out because of their doubts about themselves. Hell I know because I have done it myself. If you read my story instead of skimming you would know that even though at one point I might have blamed others for some of my issues I do not do that anymore and I take full responsibility for how big I got. I don't want sympathy or anything like it because it doesn't really help. Kind words are always nice and I appreciate everyone who had some kinds words to say. My post was about a question that I get quite often when people find out how much I weighed and its a question a lot of people get and so many just can't comprehend. All I wanted to do was address that question with some honesty. You cry excuses, but people do certain things for certain reasons. I was simply explaining the reason why I ate so much. I fully admit that I was wrong but that doesn't change how I felt at the time.

I assume you are attention seeking and I appreciate that you at least wished me well but saying it like that is quite passive aggressive and very childish. I wish you luck with your health goals.

My intention wasn't to tear you down. Sometimes when I feel strongly about something I come off the wrong way. I don't believe in excuses or blaming others for anything. Everyone has the capacity to change their situation, and that's exactly what you're doing. If someone came up to me and asked "how'd you get so big dude," I'd tell them straight up I drink and eat to much. Not " Well, ya know, this happened, that happened." No, it's my fault. I wish you the best in the future.

You could just say you expressed yourself poorly, apologize and stop trying to hijack the OP with what sounds a whole lot like excuses.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Funny everyone on here saying anything to me has 4k, 5k, 6k, 9k posts. I wonder why?

I am not sure why you feel the need to try and tear people down, usually that is the sign of a person with severe emotional problems.

People lash out because of their doubts about themselves. Hell I know because I have done it myself. If you read my story instead of skimming you would know that even though at one point I might have blamed others for some of my issues I do not do that anymore and I take full responsibility for how big I got. I don't want sympathy or anything like it because it doesn't really help. Kind words are always nice and I appreciate everyone who had some kinds words to say. My post was about a question that I get quite often when people find out how much I weighed and its a question a lot of people get and so many just can't comprehend. All I wanted to do was address that question with some honesty. You cry excuses, but people do certain things for certain reasons. I was simply explaining the reason why I ate so much. I fully admit that I was wrong but that doesn't change how I felt at the time.

I assume you are attention seeking and I appreciate that you at least wished me well but saying it like that is quite passive aggressive and very childish. I wish you luck with your health goals.

My intention wasn't to tear you down. Sometimes when I feel strongly about something I come off the wrong way. I don't believe in excuses or blaming others for anything. Everyone has the capacity to change their situation, and that's exactly what you're doing. If someone came up to me and asked "how'd you get so big dude," I'd tell them straight up I drink and eat to much. Not " Well, ya know, this happened, that happened." No, it's my fault. I wish you the best in the future.

Everybody may have the ability to change their situation but it is never as easy nor can it be painted in black and white... Judging by your profile I am going to take a stab in the dark that you have never weighed over 500 pounds nor have the living experience one might need to comprehend the trials and tribulation one would have went through to get to that weight... I for one can totally relate to the OP on MANY Levels. I finally had that Aha moment after sitting in a recliner with a loaded handgun for 3 days... You have no idea the reasons that caused the weight gain, I went into the Army straight out of high school after playing 4 years of high school football at 270-280 lbs. coming out of boot camp/AIT combined in 1991, I weighed 209 lbs. and by 2009 I was pretty much trapped in my home unable to walk from room to room and tipping the scale at 560 lbs. for the better half of a decade my family tried several interventions but I didn't have the problem they did or atleast that is what I told myself for years until the day I had a reality check and decided to put the gun down and get busy living.
    Sitting on that side of 500 lbs. knowing that you have to lose 300 lbs. and not having a clue of how to lose 3 lbs. let alone 300 lbs. is such a daunting task but finding the grit and determination to commit to the process and work hard and overcome the obstacles that have been standing in the way deserve a level of respect and admiration. OP I fully commend you on taking control of your life and working hard to overcome your demons that lead you to your weight gain but as you know it is so much deeper than shoveling food down the hatch. There is always a reason that led us to that place and finding out what that is, facing it, and working to overcome it is just as important as the whole eating thing, if not more...
    I just wanted to let you know that I have stood exactly where you were and can tell you now standing on the other side that it is with out a doubt totally possible to change your path. (As you are doing.) Nothing and No one is ever to far gone to make the changes necessary to regain control of their life. I am living proof of that... Best of Luck on your continued journey and keep up the great job!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, OP. The emotional causes have to be treated along with the physical and I'm glad you are finding your way. Gaining weight to that degree must be very similar to other emotional crutches such as drugs and alcohol. Great job and good luck!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

You could just say you expressed yourself poorly, apologize and stop trying to hijack the OP with what sounds a whole lot like excuses.

Recognizing that someone is having a mental health crisis, like the OP did, is a far cry from blaming others. The OP shared a narrative of how he got to where he was and where he is. That's not excuse making, particularly when he specifically took responsibility, but it is recognizing what he's been through. Some people deal with depression with alcohol and drugs, others with food. It is essential though we look not at the symptom and judge, but at the disease and at least offer encouragement. We have a long way to go before mental health is given the attention it deserves.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Luke, wonderful story. I'm sorry someone was in here being a real dirtbag....that made me angry. :(

Do not look back with regret on your "wasted years." The best years are now - starting today. (((hugs)))
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Recognizing that someone is having a mental health crisis, like the OP did, is a far cry from blaming others. The OP shared a narrative of how he got to where he was and where he is. That's not excuse making, particularly when he specifically took responsibility, but it is recognizing what he's been through. Some people deal with depression with alcohol and drugs, others with food. It is essential though we look not at the symptom and judge, but at the disease and at least offer encouragement. We have a long way to go before mental health is given the attention it deserves.
    ^This, I agree with and Tony thank you for having the courage to share, so that those who may question how/why can think twice before they jump to judgement and those who are struggling can be inspired by not only your success, but to show how very fragile our humanity is and find a kindred spirit in you. Like the above poster said, I think we all have vices to deal with what we are lacking in our lives and some just have a more outward effect than others. My vice was shopping. Most people don't see it outwardly but it can wreak havoc on your credit score.
    You have so much life yet to live and a story to tell, so get out there and do it.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    An amazing, inspiring and heart felt post! Thank you for sharing with us!
    Congratulations on your success!