30 day shred???

Options

Replies

• fjola
    fjola Posts: 28
    Options
    Hope you can squeeze it in today ley, its only 20 minutes :)
    I just finished day 6. I still struggle a bit with the push ups... Hows everybody else doing?
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Day 10 done. I also find the full push ups too difficult so I'm still doing the modified version. I'm moving to t level 2 tomorrow regardless though. Maybe by the next time I do the whole program I'll be strong enough for full push ups.
  • ley1
    ley1 Posts: 115
    Options
    just managed to squeeze it n tonight! used my heavier weights tonight as i couldnt find the lighter ones OUCHIE!
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    i did my day 5 on saturday and berlin - I skipped yesterday since there was no time with us traveling back on the train. but, I am ready to do day 6 today! woo
  • fjola
    Options
    Good job Ley!

And Bzbear you´ll just get right back on the horse today :)

My left knee is messed up, I´m doing something wrong or going too far down, I have to be careful today!
  • Bzbear2
    Options
    fjola - which exercises are hurting your knee? be really careful that you knee doesn't extend past your foot on the squats and lunges!!! feel better!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    On day 20 or so now. I say or so b/c I do my beloved Turbo Jam (50 min dvd's only) on weekends b/c the shred burns so little calories (150cals in 26 minutes) that I have to supplement weekdays by walking at lunch 3.2km/32minutes and weekends I do what I love and a cardio burn that expels 400 calories.

Shred stopped hurting me after about day 3 but it still sends blood to my head. My only modification was in level one pushups on my knees rather than toes. I find level 2 more awkward, less efficient but its good, the plank work will kill ya, I usually take my 5 second break at that point (not the plank jacks, the ones before when you are in plank and jump in).

For those just starting make sure you use 3lb weights. I've been using 5lb since the beginning and some exercises especially deltoid workouts 5lb can be quite a strain.
  • frubjious
    Options
    Hi,

Sounds like you're all doing really well.

I lamed it yesterday I got caught up in some drama in the house (nothing bad) and completely forgot :embarassed: , but will be right back on it today.
  • fjola
    Options
    Bzbear- Its both of those exercises. I know now that I did the lunges all wrong, made my man watch me while I did the exercise! And the squats, I went too far down on them :S So I fixed that today, and it was much better! Just have to be a bit more careful :)

Frubjious- You go girl ;)
  • Bzbear2
    Options
    heathersmilz - re: calorie burn

well obviously it totally depends on your size etc but I have heard reports that it burns at least 200 if not closer to 300 cals! (from HRM wearers) where are you getting that number? from a HRM?

anyways, for 20 mins i think that's pretty great (the 6 others don't really count, do they? i mean... warm up and cool down?)
  • heathersmilez
    Options

well obviously it totally depends on your size etc but I have heard reports that it burns at least 200 if not closer to 300 cals! (from HRM wearers) where are you getting that number? from a HRM?

anyways, for 20 mins i think that's pretty great (the 6 others don't really count, do they? i mean... warm up and cool down?)

Yes, from my HRM it says I burn 150 calories in the 26 minutes of exercise (of course HRM is only checked when at its highest) sometimes as high as 160cals in the 27 min it takes do to level 2. MFP says 223 calories burned so its off by about 70 there. I'm 138lb/5'8 trying to lose the 8lbs I gained in 2009, first gain in over a decade.

Finally bought a HRM this summer b/c I've been doing Turbo Jam for the past 4 years and was curious to see what my caloric burn really was. For a 50 min vid its about 400 while MFP says 523. Same thing with elliptical machines, HRM says 410 or so and the machine which takes into account my weight, height, gender, age says 600. It’s a wrist HRM so not as accurate as a chest strap but it’s always best to log the lowest calories to ensure you don't overeat.
  • fjola
    Options
    Of course a HRM is always more accurate :) Better to put the numbers in yourself instead of the numbers from MFP.
  • ley1
    Options
    aw poor me my burn is more like 80cals for the shred! hence why i still havng to do other exercises aswell!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    aw poor me my burn is more like 80cals for the shred! hence why i still havng to do other exercises aswell!

You should use a heart rate monitor. I was able to burn over 300 calories on level one of the Shred @ 220 lbs.
  • abagwill
    abagwill Posts: 222
    Options
    I am going to be starting the 30 day shred again tonight. I have tried it many times and I love it! It really is a killer workout. I really like that it keeps you moving and in 20 minutes you feel like you have run, jumped, lifted and sprinted! I sweat like crazy, I dont ever sweat when I workout :-) I am going to partner this with 2.5 mile walks in the morning and elliptical in the afternoon and Jillian in the evening.

On a side note does anyone have any great ab exercises to recommend? I have the horrible flabby muffin tops since the birth of my son 2 years ago... I need to get in shape if I want another baby.
  • ley1
    Options
    yes i have one, when i first started the shred my hrm told me i was burning 180cals and now however i seem to be used to it as the burn has got progressively lower and then last night hrm said only 89 cals!

i feel like i could easily move onto level two but want to do the full 10 days
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    yes i have one, when i first started the shred my hrm told me i was burning 180cals and now however i seem to be used to it as the burn has got progressively lower and then last night hrm said only 89 cals!

i feel like i could easily move onto level two but want to do the full 10 days

The wrist HRM's aren’t as accurate, that’s why they can be cheapies. Fun tools for sure but for example the other day while walking outside at lunch in like 5 degree weather it my said HRM was 41, 41? That’s almost dead, lol! I figured the calculation had to do with a cold wrist and cold fingers. My resting is only 54 but still, after speed walking up a hill for 10 minutes my HR is closer to 120-140 just for that segment and NOT 41.
  • frubjious
    Options
    Hi,

I did it earlier and its really starting to come together now. Its getting easier to do a better job of each exercise (except pendulum lunges) so it getting tougher as well. I really noticed afterwards when I was in my body balance class just how much stronger my arms have got in such a short time. Wish I'd taken upper arm measurements before I'd started.

Hope you're all having fun.
  • Bzbear2
    Options

Yes, from my HRM it says I burn 150 calories in the 26 minutes of exercise (of course HRM is only checked when at its highest) sometimes as high as 160cals in the 27 min it takes do to level 2. MFP says 223 calories burned so its off by about 70 there. I'm 138lb/5'8 trying to lose the 8lbs I gained in 2009, first gain in over a decade.

Finally bought a HRM this summer b/c I've been doing Turbo Jam for the past 4 years and was curious to see what my caloric burn really was. For a 50 min vid its about 400 while MFP says 523. Same thing with elliptical machines, HRM says 410 or so and the machine which takes into account my weight, height, gender, age says 600. It’s a wrist HRM so not as accurate as a chest strap but it’s always best to log the lowest calories to ensure you don't overeat.

Hmm. I am 165 pounds and MFP says that I am only burning 212. What do you enter? I put in circuit training, general
  • ley1
    Options
    not been able to do the shred yesterday or today as i've been really sick, hopefully will be well enough to do it tomorrow - how hard is it going to be now i've had a couple of days off!!