Most embarrassing 'fat' moment you can now laugh at?

Options

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I don't know but most recently my hubby brought up the fact that I always used to take so long to get ready when we went anywhere and asked him anything I wore made me look fat. I would always try little tricks to "hide' my rolls but honestly they didn't really work. He was like oh man I can say this to you now but you know I lied to you a lot back then. lol. well never again. Now I can wear anything and feel confident I look good and never have to ask him cuz the fact that he cant keep his eyes off of me says it all. :drinker:
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't know but most recently my hubby brought up the fact that I always used to take so long to get ready when we went anywhere and asked him anything I wore made me look fat. I would always try little tricks to "hide' my rolls but honestly they didn't really work. He was like oh man I can say this to you now but you know I lied to you a lot back then. lol. well never again. Now I can wear anything and feel confident I look good and never have to ask him cuz the fact that he cant keep his eyes off of me says it all. :drinker:

My moment was not long after I had my first child I was in the neighborhood of 330 (I am now at 355 but thats after losing 57 pounds) and I was meeting my inlaws for the first time. THey were going to take us out to dinner and we planned to ride with them in their Honda accord.....So my husbands Stepdad says to my mother in law as we are all about to get into the car, "DOnt you think we should take two cars?" She said "Why?" And its still not very funny like I was hoping for it to be "Because the wieght limit on this thing is only 2000 pounds." OMG I died so much inside right then. Now keep in mind my hubby was about 250 or so also ( And I though he was going to punch him, but fortunatley his mom stepped in) MIke was normal sized and Sharon was short and fairly petite. I never felt so humiliated in my life and Sharon was mortified. SHe shot Mike the most awful look and said guys get in the car. I have no idea what she said to him later but all I know is the next day she took me shopping with his credit card and said :Honey I am so sorry that Mike is a *kitten*!" You are beautiful inside and out and I hope you can forgive his stupidity." It made me feel better but yeah that was pretty much one of the worst FAT memories ever.

I have had several instances of little kids especially toddlers say "Your Fat" and I am like yeah well your little get over it..lol no I am just kidding I never said anything back to them but yeah....

SO now every pound I lose is a victory and I have no intentions of stopping until I hit my goal!
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time really laughing at any of those moments from my past, like someone else said I am still more likely to cringe at them.

One thing that kind of makes me laugh though is the way I've always run in the other direction from any job or even volunteer/team activity that requires a uniform or matching shirts with other people. I have never worn a uniform for a job due to this. Once I was going to work part-time as a tour guide in a cave and I was really psyched until I found out the uniforms were close-fitting button down shirts and khakis with a belt. Oh hell no. I didn't do it.

Even when I was sixteen and getting my first actual paying job, I specifically applied only to places that let you wear your own clothing, dress up, or a smock/apron over your own clothes. It was the early 1990s and most fast food places had those polyester tight looking tops and bottoms, I would have died before I'd wear that as a size 20 teenager.

Oh my gosh this!!!! I have been terrified of UNIFORMS all my life! Thankfully most of the places I have worked also employed other very large people LOL! So I was able to get the size I needed. Now the part I really hated??? TUCKING IN MY SHIRT!
  • jwats8
    jwats8 Posts: 112
    Options
    this is going back 10 years - but my son who was 6 at the time walked up and wrapped his arms around me while I was talking to some friends - he said "mommy I love your bum because its so big and squishy" - little brat

Lol! My daughter did basically the same thing! She called me "fluffy"
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It was Chritmas time...gift exchange...I received a can of Slim Fast...

Ugh, that was just down right MEAN! How could you forgive them?
  • allofme32
    allofme32 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I live on a traffic busy street in Queens, New York. My family and I were going somewhere so we had to cross the street to get to my car. I was crossing with my seven year old son, my teenage twins and my stepson. There was traffic so we waited a bit then crossed. The woman in the SUV that stopped for us to cross passed us by after we crossed. "Get Out Of The Way You Fat Cow!" as she passed us. I could hear it clearly from behind me. I know my kids heard it. They did not say anything. I did not say anything either. I waited until we went home that night, locked myself in the bathroom and cried.

I cant say that I can laugh about this one but it is a testament to how cruel people can be.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I live on a traffic busy street in Queens, New York. My family and I were going somewhere so we had to cross the street to get to my car. I was crossing with my seven year old son, my teenage twins and my stepson. There was traffic so we waited a bit then crossed. The woman in the SUV that stopped for us to cross passed us by after we crossed. "Get Out Of The Way You Fat Cow!" as she passed us. I could hear it clearly from behind me. I know my kids heard it. They did not say anything. I did not say anything either. I waited until we went home that night, locked myself in the bathroom and cried.

I cant say that I can laugh about this one but it is a testament to how cruel people can be.

<3 Maybe it's the redneck in me, but I would have cussed her out.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    On holidays two years ago in Spain

Down the beach after a late night and fell asleep, when I woke up the local media where there in a circle around me, while a JCB was diggin a tench from me down too the water line

And the good people of the RSPCA where hosing me down with sea water

Ha!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Someone tried to cut in front of me in the food line at college and I called her out on it. She says to her friend, 'poor thing, look at her, she's hungry'. I was about 170 pounds and sloppy fat.

Actually I was hungry. I hadn't eaten since early the day before and was dropping weight like crazy from the stress of full time school and two jobs, but this snotty little excretion was obviously referring to my fatness.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Ugh, that was just down right MEAN! How could you forgive them?

Because small minded people who treat others that way will never fully know some of life's greatest pleasures/gifts. :smile:
  • chriszennao
    Options
    Best fat moment:

I was complaining one day to my 12 year daughter about me not being able to find anything in my closet to wear. I then made a uncharacteristic comment about me being fat (i don't like to talk like that around my kids). Well my daughter wasn't having any of it. She looked at me (like only a 12 year old girl can do, you know, like I'm crazy and she doesn't know where I came from) and she tells me you are perfect just the way you are and don't let me ever hear you say that again or i'm telling daddy and Nana on you. Then she said and I love you and she had tears in her eyes. Best moment ever and the moment you realize, Damn I guess I am raising them right!!
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Did not fit at the seats of the theater while I went to an orchestra concert.

I was on a date. :frown:
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Some friends (who are all of average weight) and I were discussing how much we weighed - I know, I know, stupidest conversation to have with other women EVER.

I didn't want to say my weight out loud because back then I was very ashamed of people hearing the number (now I actually don't care, it's just a number), so one of them says "You can't be more than 145lbs. or so, right?"

I shook my head and told them that I was 170lbs. A couple raised their brows but one gasps and goes, "Oh my God, but 170lbs is FAT!" She caught on to what she had said right after and was tripping over herself trying to explain that she had meant that in her mind 170lbs is a VERY FAT person and that I didn't look like what she had pictured 170lbs to look like.

I understood what she meant and that she had blurted that out without thinking, but still...as one poster said, a little bit of dying inside. :cry:
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    When I was in 5th grade I was friends with a girl who would go on to be one of the popular girls in high school. She was skinny, I was fat. We were talking and she said something about me being fat and I said "well, maybe some day or in another life I will be skinny and you will be fat and you can feel how I feel".

Guess who is way bigger than me now. *insert evil laugh here*
  • SmartForAGirl
    SmartForAGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I sat down on the wooden toilet seat at my apartment and it cracked. I was mortified. I felt like the fattest person on earth because, really, who breaks a toilet seat? My roomie was so very wise. She said "How many people are you going to tell about this?" "None!" "Lots of people have broken toilet seats but they aren't telling anyone either." I felt so much better. Ten years later, an acquaintance on facebook posted about sitting on his toilet seat and feeling it crack beneath him. I messaged him and thanked him for sharing that because, as far as I know, he and I are the only people ever to do such a thing.
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well, hmmmm. I've had the classic. Congrats you're pregnant...no I am not.....oh, come on you can tell me...no I am not pregnant....sure you are ......nope just gained weight now go away.....

I've been asked "Are you having a baby?" and "When are you due?" 3 times in the last two years. It hurts every single time. :sad:
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't laugh about it yet, and probably never will, but the first one was when I was flying home from Puerto Rico and kept asking for a seatbelt extension. I knew it was coming so I asked AS I got on the plane, then as I passed the next flight attendant, and as one passed me. I never got it and yep, I went through takeoff without one. I don't know if that one was worse or the time I was handed the one they used for the demonstration, VERY obviously with a loud "here's your seatbelt extension ma'am." (Thank you btw, to every flight attendant who did not humiliate me and even more so to the one who told me last December "Uhhhhhhhh you're really not going to need one.")

The other most humiliating fat moment was when I was in a packed courtroom and stood up to announce for my client during docket call. When I sat down the chair loudly broke and I landed on my fat *kitten*. It's bad enough that it happened but when the courtroom was the most full and quiet? Extra humiliating.

Edit: Hey smartforagirl---you and the guy on facebook are not the only ones.
  • corinne0805
    corinne0805 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is not a true embarrassing fat moment, but it made me really angry. I have had 11 kids - 6 of those as a gestational carrier, and in less than 5 years, so although I was losing weight between pregnancies, because I knew I was doing it again, I didn't lose all the weight.

Anyway, after the birth of baby #11 I started running. At the time I weighed 175lbs (5'3"). I was running along a busy road and a teenage boy slowed his car down and said, 'Run fatso.' And then he sped up. I yelled after him, even though I knew he couldn't hear me but it made me feel better, "I've had 11 kids! What's your excuse?" Of course I couldn't see whether he was skinny/fat but it didn't matter. I was just upset that he felt he had the right to make such a personal comment, when it was obvious that I was getting my 'fatso' self out and exercising.
  • marricurt
    marricurt Posts: 47 Member
    Options

For those of you that may not be familiar with Slim Fast..it is a weigh loss shake/ fad diet system.

I have never forgotten this, or the feeling that came with it, the people involved, or the damage my self esteem took that day. I am still not at my goal, but whenever I struggle this is the story that I use to motivate and remind myself how good the choices I am making are. I struggle, I stumble, I am human, but this is what picks me up off the floor and gets me back out the door.

:angry: There are words for people like that......words that I try really hard to refrain from using. My stomach clenched just reading your story. I am so sorry this happened to you and I hope that you realise that this is a true reflection of THEM, not you.
  • crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

For those of you that may not be familiar with Slim Fast..it is a weigh loss shake/ fad diet system.

I have never forgotten this, or the feeling that came with it, the people involved, or the damage my self esteem took that day. I am still not at my goal, but whenever I struggle this is the story that I use to motivate and remind myself how good the choices I am making are. I struggle, I stumble, I am human, but this is what picks me up off the floor and gets me back out the door.

Edit: spelling mistakes, because it's Friday and I just can't even.

Oh God!! How horrible!!! :( People can be such D/bags!!