Most embarrassing 'fat' moment you can now laugh at?

Options

Replies

• Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I can't laugh at this yet because I haven't lost the weight yet but here goes...

I was never big in school and I really only started gaining weight as an adult so I was never subjected to school bullies. The worst I ever had was my rude mother in law and sister in law asking about my weight but they are both quite a bit bigger than me so it didn't feel so bad.
    A few years ago I was a bank teller and one day a customer came in and went to the teller next to me. This customer had always been a nice guy and we had talked many times. This day he decided to be funny. I don't know what had started it but he mentioned my weight. I'm not going to lie, I was and still am in denial about what I look like and how much I weigh so I was in complete shock. I had never been called fat before. He started going on and on with the stupid "you're not fat, just fluffy" stuff. I specifically remember him saying something about how my husband probably likes it because I "could give him warmth in the winter and shade in the summer." I was so embarrassed. I was trying to smile about it but I could feel my face getting red and a big lump in my throat.
    To make things even worse... The teller next to me (my coworker and "friend") jumped right in with him. She started making jokes about it and laughing right along with him. Then when she noticed that I was red faced and teary eyed started saying "aww I think we made her mad, I think she's gonna cry."
    This whole time I'm waiting on my own customer who is looking very uncomfortable and trying not to make eye contact with me.

Finally, when I'm done with my customer I jumped out of my chair and practically ran into the back break area. I started sobbing. Like loud snotty sobbing. Another coworker came in and asked what happened and I couldn't even talk. When the story did finally make it out my other coworkers were PISSED. The other teller ended up sending me an email with a big long apology that I deleted. The customer eventually started going to another branch because I would walk to the back every time he came in and other employees would stand there and glare at him.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I don't have any "fat" moments I can laugh at yet. And some of the stories on here make me want to cry.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Best moment:

I was complaining one day to my 12 year daughter about me not being able to find anything in my closet to wear. I then made a uncharacteristic comment about me being fat (i don't like to talk like that around my kids). Well my daughter wasn't having any of it. She looked at me (like only a 12 year old girl can do, you know, like I'm crazy and she doesn't know where I came from) and she tells me you are perfect just the way you are and don't let me ever hear you say that again or i'm telling daddy and Nana on you. Then she said and I love you and she had tears in her eyes. Best moment ever and the moment you realize, Damn I guess I am raising them right!!

Awwww... This made me tear up... What a sweet girl!!
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    Before high school started, I went on a vacation to visit my relatives there. While being out with my old friends, there are couple of strangers who just laughed to themselves saying look at that girl, she looks like a pig so fat. My friend were pissed and cussed them out but I couldn't say anything. It made me felt so horrible, just before I was having a great time. I was probably at 110 at 5 feet- a bit chubby but nowhere near fat. The thing is the standard there is really different. Being 85-90 pounds at 5 feet is normal so I'm mortified obese to them. I don't remember their face ( too bad or I would taunt them now when I go back) but I remember what happened so clearly.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty slim now, but someone just this week asked if I was pregnant and when I was due. In fact I had just eaten a burrito that was bigger than my head and had a pretty respectable food baby.

I responded by rubbing it lovingly, and saying "Thank you, not a baby just a delicious, delicious burrito. It's due any hour now"

More embarrassing for the other woman I suspect.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I knocked over a display of glass figurines with my butt at Macy's. I put as many back as possible and pretty much ran out the front door before anyone noticed.
  • colobon
    colobon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I sat down on the wooden toilet seat at my apartment and it cracked. I was mortified. I felt like the fattest person on earth because, really, who breaks a toilet seat? My roomie was so very wise. She said "How many people are you going to tell about this?" "None!" "Lots of people have broken toilet seats but they aren't telling anyone either." I felt so much better. Ten years later, an acquaintance on facebook posted about sitting on his toilet seat and feeling it crack beneath him. I messaged him and thanked him for sharing that because, as far as I know, he and I are the only people ever to do such a thing.

This happened to me. And then the one I bought to replace it cracked within a week. The lesson is, don't buy a six dollar toilet seat unless you glue an extra support at the week spot!
  • CandyMouse
    CandyMouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. That's sad. What's wrong with people? Guess it was his loss, huh? I bet you ended up through the years, with much better 'dates' anyhow.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I got the pregnant question a couple of times. And I once broke my desk chair at the office.

I think the pregnant question was the worst for me. I actually got asked the morning I decided that enough was enough and I actually committed to really lose the weight.

Never again.
  • crys39
    crys39 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty slim now, but someone just this week asked if I was pregnant and when I was due. In fact I had just eaten a burrito that was bigger than my head and had a pretty respectable food baby.

I responded by rubbing it lovingly, and saying "Thank you, not a baby just a delicious, delicious burrito. It's due any hour now"

More embarrassing for the other woman I suspect.

^^WIN!! Best response ever!!! Lol
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    this is going back 10 years - but my son who was 6 at the time walked up and wrapped his arms around me while I was talking to some friends - he said "mommy I love your bum because its so big and squishy" - little brat

Lol! My daughter did basically the same thing! She called me "fluffy"

My best friend's five year old calls me "fluffy". She was sitting on my lap Sunday, patted my stomach, and said she loved how I was a nice, fluffy pillow, not like her mommy who is hard. I told her I might still be fluffy but I'm becoming much less fluffy every day.
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    2 or 3 things:

-1.) I really wanted this button front jumper, shorts...combo thing...that was on clearance. I had the boots I would pair with it picked out in my mind and everything. Anyway, I skip off to the dressing room to try it on. It fit over my hips fine,but trying to get my arms in and button it was a tight squeeze. Success! Until I tried to take it off. It was a several minute ordeal. I was seriously starting to think I would have to walk out of the dressing room and have them jaws of life me out of the thing. Eventually, I managed to use the hanger to get it off. I waited, lost some weight,and went back to find it there. I bought it. Even at a smaller size, I hated the way it looked on me. Eventually, I traded it away on Listia.

-2.) I was at my heaviest weight working as a photographer. I had a session for a family and birthday photos. The mother showed up before everyone else. We talked for a little while about backdrops and what exactly she wanted. At one point, she put her hands on my stomach and said, "Aw, you're positively glowing. When are you due?" This wasn't the first time someone thought I was pregnant, so I informed her that I wasn't. She attempted to recover by saying, "Oh, I understand. Baby fat is so hard to lose." I then had to explain that I have zero children. She was so embarrassed she cried.

-3.) The second story is a little common I believe,but it leads up to this one...a real kicker. My s.o. and I took a trip to visit my parents. They had made a dinner and greeted us with eager faces. After a few hours, they were apparently tired of waiting and asked when I planned to break the news. I was a little confused,but some hints led me to understand that they thought the visit was to announce my pregnancy. This took place not long after the above, so I decided it was time to lose some weight. haha
  • JazzKazz150
    JazzKazz150 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    oh boy, too many moments to count lol. One time, I went to a friends christmas party and saw this "cute" guy talking to her. I always knew I was overweight, but that night I thought I looked pretty for once. So I got the courage to go and talk to him and surprisingly we started to slow dance at one point. I was 15 at the time and he was the first guy I've ever slow danced with, so I was obviously gushing over the fact that a guy would actually slow dance with me. The dance went well and we were laughing a lot. Later we added each other on Facebook, but he wouldn't talk as much to me online. I went back to my friends house and I saw her talking to him online and the way he typed, in my opinion, was pretty funny. So I messaged him and I said, "to be honest, you need to learn to type properly haha" only for him to reply, "to be honest, you need to lose weight. A lot of weight" (Ofc there were many typos in the message he sent). I was shocked and a bit embarrassed since my friend had seen the message and there was that awkward silence. After that, I stopped talking to him, but I kind of regret not standing up for myself :$
  • shonnanicole0389
    Options
    Well, hmmmm. I've had the classic. Congrats you're pregnant...no I am not.....oh, come on you can tell me...no I am not pregnant....sure you are ......nope just gained weight now go away.....

omg this happened to me once and i wanted to die. It was horribly embarrasing for the person that said it and me but honestly who the hell asks someone if their pregnant. Like i didnt even know the lady! So nosy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep this happened to me too - was at a friends daughters birthday party and her sister-in-law asked about it. I was horrified - still am and can't laugh at it yet. Mostly because I gained a lot more after that (not because of that, but it was like 10 years ago). I am hoping to find it funny at some point.

I don't understand why anyone asks this question. I've even been asked this question by women who are heavier set than I am-- because I carry my weight in my belly.

That happened to me too!! A lot actually! I use to work at Kmart as a cashier.And I always got bloated really bad while I was at work and there were so many customers that came through my check out line that asked me if I was pregnant. There was this one guy who said "Is this your first baby?" --I didn't even have to say anything to him, I just glared at him with this look and he was just like "Ohhh". The funny thing is, not long after all these people asked if I was pregnant, I actually did get pregnant...But after I got pregnant, no one asked me about it anymore LOL. :laugh:
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Worse this was a male co worker and my superior. Ughhhhhhhhhnhhh. Still is a total idiot in my opinion
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    That is really sweet , great mom
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I sat down on the wooden toilet seat at my apartment and it cracked. I was mortified. I felt like the fattest person on earth because, really, who breaks a toilet seat? My roomie was so very wise. She said "How many people are you going to tell about this?" "None!" "Lots of people have broken toilet seats but they aren't telling anyone either." I felt so much better. Ten years later, an acquaintance on facebook posted about sitting on his toilet seat and feeling it crack beneath him. I messaged him and thanked him for sharing that because, as far as I know, he and I are the only people ever to do such a thing.

This happened to me. And then the one I bought to replace it cracked within a week. The lesson is, don't buy a six dollar toilet seat unless you glue an extra support at the week spot!
    Nope... definitely not the only ones. I'm in for two.
  • 949BeachMom
    Options
    i cant laugh at anything cause im still fat. but wow if i were in your situation i wouldve thrown the chair out n told them it was never there. maybe left it outside the laundry room door lol bahahaha
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When I was in 5th grade I was friends with a girl who would go on to be one of the popular girls in high school. She was skinny, I was fat. We were talking and she said something about me being fat and I said "well, maybe some day or in another life I will be skinny and you will be fat and you can feel how I feel".

Guess who is way bigger than me now. *insert evil laugh here*

hahaha gotta love that. In jr high and high school I had a friend who was more of a 'frenemy' really...the two of us were both bigger than most of our peers, but I was size 20 and she was probably size 14 or 16. Anyway, right after graduation I dated one of her male friends and she was jealous and made a comment to him that he unwisely passed on to me about me being an elephant and she was a mouse. I didn't talk to her for years, not because of that but because she did a lot of other much worse stuff. Now in our mid 30's we became facebook friends and she's easily twice my size. I don't hold a grudge for the teenage stuff but totally admit a little part of me is like "ha!"
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time really laughing at any of those moments from my past, like someone else said I am still more likely to cringe at them.

One thing that kind of makes me laugh though is the way I've always run in the other direction from any job or even volunteer/team activity that requires a uniform or matching shirts with other people. I have never worn a uniform for a job due to this. Once I was going to work part-time as a tour guide in a cave and I was really psyched until I found out the uniforms were close-fitting button down shirts and khakis with a belt. Oh hell no. I didn't do it.

Even when I was sixteen and getting my first actual paying job, I specifically applied only to places that let you wear your own clothing, dress up, or a smock/apron over your own clothes. It was the early 1990s and most fast food places had those polyester tight looking tops and bottoms, I would have died before I'd wear that as a size 20 teenager.

Oh my gosh this!!!! I have been terrified of UNIFORMS all my life! Thankfully most of the places I have worked also employed other very large people LOL! So I was able to get the size I needed. Now the part I really hated??? TUCKING IN MY SHIRT!

I've never tucked my shirt in. Like, never. Not even now and I'm a size 10-12. It's not going to happen LOL

I did wear matching team t-shirts and sweatshirts later on at office jobs when we had like a team building day or something, but I always felt embarrassed by that too because I'd ask for men's XXL or XXXL in order for it to fit my belly and hips, and then it would be swimming on my shoulders and arms so it was very obvious that I had a men's shirt on. Ugh.