What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• cmclear90
    cmclear90 Posts: 12
    Options
    No fast food, no pop or candy. Eating lots of fruits and veggies and not alot of carbs.
  • mshannond
    mshannond Posts: 60
    Options
    Clean eating In my option can be summer up by cut the CRAP
    C- caffeine and carbonated drinks
    R- refined sugar
    A- alcohol & artificial sweetners
    P- processed foods

Eat real whole foods.
    Oatmeal, eggs, fruit, vegetables, meat etc. Eat wholegrain complex carbs and eschew overly processed foods.
    For bread for example, I eat sourdough, sprouted rye or quinoa & amaranth bread. The less ingredients the Better.
  • kxll01
    kxll01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Clean eating In my option can be summer up by cut the CRAP
    C- caffeine and carbonated drinks
    R- refined sugar
    A- alcohol & artificial sweetners
    P- processed foods

Eat real whole foods.
    Oatmeal, eggs, fruit, vegetables, meat etc. Eat wholegrain complex carbs and eschew overly processed foods.
    For bread for example, I eat sourdough, sprouted rye or quinoa & amaranth bread. The less ingredients the Better.

After reading through all the posts, some good and some, useless...
    This seemed to sum it up for me. Just knowing what is in the food I am eating.
    Fresh fruit, greens, grains, minus the processed foods.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    "The term is dumb. Yes. Eating healthy is not. Perhaps we could talk about eating healthy?"

Yes, this has been my consistent point. OP did not ask what we thought eating healthy was, she asked about our understanding of eating "clean."

I don't think eating "clean" is just an irritating way to say eating healthy, though. To the extent it means anything at all, it's an assertion that it is better to eliminate than eat "unclean" food in moderation (depending on what it is moderation could end up meaning once every couple of months, and of course this doesn't apply to foods that you just don't care about much -- i never eat pop tarts, but it would be absurd to claim I've eliminated them). I think it can be healthy for an individual to choose to eliminate foods based on personal reasons, but to say that's the essence of a healthy diet, what we should focus on, seems backwards to me. We should focus on eating a balanced healthy diet with lots of nutrients, a variety of vegetables, adequate protein, etc. "Clean" eating, with the focus on individual foods being good or bad or the red herring of processing (lots of good for you foods are processed) seems to me to focus on the wrong things.

Or, you know, just be a trendy marketing label for diet books and plans.
    Hmm. Not to me. "Clean" isn't about demonizing or eliminating to me. I don't eat pop tarts, I've not eliminated them, I don't even really think about them, unless someone mentions them on here. My diet isn't based on what I don't eat, but rather what I aim to eat. I would imagine, for many who've been doing it a long time, that's the case. But even if someone's plan IS based around what they don't eat, I don't get why that rumples people's panties so much. Why is what they eat any more an indictment of what others eat than IIFYM? When I see folks saying: I'm trying to cut back on sugar, or cut out the soda. The reply is invariably: I eat whatever I want nom nom nom. Followed by silly gifs and a dog pile.
  • Leana93412
    Leana93412 Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi pals I'm Kimberly & I'm working on becoming a healthier me!! I'm trying to make better food choices. What do you consider clean eating?

Mmm. We'll unless you wash your food with soap...

Hehe just kidding. No such thing as clean eating or dirty eating. But if you want to eat more HEALTHY, that would be fruit & veg, nuts & seeds, whole grains, lean meats, eggs, healthy fats (think avocado, fatty fish, olive oil ect.) and low fat dairy.

You shouldn't deprive yourself of treats though. Whatever you consider a treat. Me, that's chocolate and dessert. For you it might be a burger and chips. But work in one or two a week.

If you want to maintain your new weight, you need to set guidelines for life. Hence me telling you to work in some treats. I doubt you will be able to do this for life without ever having a single piece of cake ever again. :wink:
  • justianne82
    Options
    Clean eating is avoiding foods which have chemicals and harmful substances. Many people are starting to go on organic or naturals, organic has no chemicals and they are not using pesticides in growing some fruits and vegetables. Processed food and junk foods are also unhealthy.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    http://evidencemag.com/clean-eating/

Your welcome. :cauliflowerforyou:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    A way to feel more superior than others by avoiding processed foods.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is avoiding foods which have chemicals and harmful substances. Many people are starting to go on organic or naturals, organic has no chemicals and they are not using pesticides in growing some fruits and vegetables. Processed food and junk foods are also unhealthy.
    Umm, no.
    Also read your previous posts and I say no to those too. How about that?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Always follow the proper sanitation practices when preparing your food, such as cooking your meats to the proper temperature, washing all fruits and vegetables before consuming them, and using clean, non-stagnated water, free from parasites. Especially if you're in a third-world country.

:laugh:

I just run mine through the dishwasher and cook them at the same time using my "Heated Dry" cycle. "Clean Eating" and conserving natural resources at the same time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Please point me to a credible study that shows processed foods (as in all processed foods as your statement is a blanket one) is unhealthy.

Also, what do you define as junk? What harmful substances?

Also, everything has chemicals.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Please point me to a credible study that shows processed foods (as in all processed foods as your statement is a blanket one) is unhealthy.

One definition of junk food is:

Pre-prepared or packaged food that has low nutritional value:

Another definition:

A popular term for any food which is low in essential nutrients and high in everything else—in particular calories and sodium. Junk foods are often highly salted—e.g., potato chips/crisps, pretzels—high in refined carbohydrates (empty calories)—e.g., candy, soft drinks—and high in saturated fats—e.g., cake, chocolates
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Another definition:

A popular term for any food which is low in essential nutrients and high in everything else—in particular calories and sodium. Junk foods are often highly salted—e.g., potato chips/crisps, pretzels—high in refined carbohydrates (empty calories)—e.g., candy, soft drinks—and high in saturated fats—e.g., cake, chocolates

I was asking the poster what they thought it was in reference to their blanket statement of 'unhealthy'.

Using the definition you gave low nutritional value =/= unhealthy (in the context of individual foods, not overall diet). I would argue however with the fact that refined carbs = 'empty calories'. Is pasta 'junk' food for example?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Another definition:

I was asking the poster what they thought it was in reference to their blanket statement of 'unhealthy'.

Using the definition you gave low nutritional value =/= unhealthy (in the context of individual foods, not overall diet). I would argue however with the fact that refined carbs = 'empty calories'. Is pasta 'junk' food for example?

Yep and rice!

That's not to say I wouldn't eat them, but only if I'd covered my micro's and protein and felt I had some calories to spare!

Pasta and rice - nice food but in my book not bad not good just neutral!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Another definition:

Yep and rice!

That's not to say I wouldn't eat them, but only if I'd covered my micro's and protein and felt I had some calories to spare!

So your definition of junk is something that has relatively low micronutrient content?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Another definition:

Yep and rice!

So your definition of junk is something that has relatively low micronutrient content?

In comparison to calorie cost - yes

But I don't have an issue with junk food or the term!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Another definition:

Yep and rice!

I am not too sure then that the first poster in this string would agree, unless they think that pasta is unhealthy.

As I mentioned, I was trying to understand what the poster meant, and therefore understand what they thought was 'unhealthly' about 'junk', whatever their definition was, hence me quoting them originally and not asking a broad question to everyone (as everyone's definition is likely to be different).

ETA: it's not the term I have an issue with necessarily - we all use it in one way or another - it's the broad blanket statement being applied to it.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    My view is that clean eating is eating food that is as close to nature as possible. Get the most unprocessed, natural state food possible. Lean cuts of meat, lots of fruits and veggies.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Another definition:

Yep and rice!

I am not too sure then that the first poster in this string would agree, unless they think that pasta is unhealthy.

As I mentioned, I was trying to understand what the poster meant, and therefore understand what they thought was 'unhealthly' about 'junk', whatever their definition was, hence me quoting them originally and not asking a broad question to everyone (as everyone's definition is likely to be different).

ETA: it's not the term I have an issue with necessarily - we all use it in one way or another - it's the broad blanket statement being applied to it.

I'm sorry but I must have missed the bit where the op says junk food is unhealthy!

Edit: I have only skimmed the 4 pages, but maybe missed it!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Foods that come from the ground
    No processed foods