What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I have never understood why this open/closed diary thing is such a big deal.

Having an open diary IMO can be helpful to someone who is struggling reaching their goals. It can be a great resource of ideas for someone who is struggling to see what someone who has had success is doing. At the end of the day, isn't that why we are here?

No, I'm here for me. Period! MFP can be as social as you like. You don't have to have friends and many like me choose not to. You don't have to have an open diary. You don't have to participate in the forums. It's all about using the tools MFP provides to help you on your fitness journey. For some that includes losing weight as well. At the end of the day, it is about a better, fitter you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Having an open diary IMO can be helpful to someone who is struggling reaching their goals. It can be a great resource of ideas for someone who is struggling to see what someone who has had success is doing. At the end of the day, isn't that why we are here?

No, I'm here for me. Period! MFP can be as social as you like. You don't have to have friends and many like me choose not to. You don't have to have an open diary. You don't have to participate in the forums. It's all about using the tools MFP provides to help you on your fitness journey. For some that includes losing weight as well. At the end of the day, it is about a better, fitter you.

Then why are you on the forums?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

No...I am here to track my calories. What someone else eats does not help nor hinder what choices that I make in my eating.

If I am struggling...I research...then make choices based on what I know that I will follow through with and be able to sustain.

If someone needs help...they are welcome to ask me...I am more than willing...but I don't expect anyone to make my choices fit theirs. I think all too often that we think that we have the answers for everyone else.

I read the forums on ideas to research...not for motivation...inspiration...or for anyone to critique my choices. If I ever get to the point that I can't figure it out on my own...I would be selective in whom I ask...not just pick some random diary to browse through.

I don't know why anyone else is here...I suppose that we all have our reasons.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    da129688-bb2d-4a96-852a-e9b64cc58433_zpsca205130.jpg

clean eating.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Food that is white in color. Potatoes, peeled, and sugar are the cleanest foods out there.

Vanilla Ice Cream too :love:
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I think all too often that we think that we have the answers for everyone else.

It's not about thinking you have the answers. Opening your diary let's people see what worked for you and what may work for them. It also costs you nothing...
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means something different to everyone and no, it doesn't mean "washing your foods before you consume".

To me it means eating minimally processed/non processed foods. Eating foods whose ingredients you can read and understand what they are (and please don't come back to this and post the ingredients that make up a blueberry and ask me if I can pronounce or understand them. I am talking about the crap that's put in food. Last time I checked I wasn't growing a Red Dye #5 tree in my yard). I also limit my added sugar intake and avoid HFCS and aspartame. I perimeter shop. I have a vegetable garden so I will be harvesting my own vegetables and canning them, freezing etc.I get raw milk from a local farm, eggs from a neighbor who has chickens and we have been researching local farms that sell half cows, pigs, chickens etc. that aren't pumped with hormones and are all natural. I make my own yogurt, we make our own jerky, dried fruit, marinades etc. and are going to start making our own ice cream.

Do I always eat "clean"? No. I'll eat potato chips and the like now and then but for the most part I try to avoid pre-packaged, processed, chemical laden (and again please do not come here and post all the "chemicals" that are in natural food. You're just being an *kitten* when you do that because you all know what is meant when someone says that) food. IMO I think all the crap that's put into food now that makes it not as natural as it should be is contributing to all the diseases that are cropping up and becoming more prevalent now. Wheat for one is so overly processed that it's no wonder people are developing allergies from it. And "organic" is a misnomer as they are allowed to use a certain amount of pesticides and how "organic" can your vegetables be when the farm is next to a busy highway and diesel fumes and gas fumes are settling on the plants? Free range is a misnomer as well. As long as your chicken has a 12x12 spot to walk around in you can call your chicken "free range". I prefer true free range chickens (they taste incredible) and to eat my own veggies where I know what is on the which is rain, dirt and bugs.
  • Annie_01
    Options

It's not about thinking you have the answers. Opening your diary let's people see what worked for you and what may work for them. It also costs you nothing...

If someone wants to know what has worked for me...they can message me...I am more than willing to share.

However...

It is not my reasons for being here on MFP. This past year has been for the first time in my life...all about me. I spent 61 years of my life for other people...put myself on hold. One year...I have given to myself.

It might not cost anything monetarily...but...there are other costs involved here.

Also...

If I was interested in "clean eating" I am sure that if I found someone and asked questions of them...most would be willing to point me in the right direction. The same goes for Paleo...vegan...vegetarian...etc...etc.

Make your choice...open/closed diary...based on your reasons for being here...let others do the same...without your condemnation.

Oh...and if you want help in eating low sodium...upping your potassium...let me know...I just might be your gal.

What a crazy thing to judge people on...open/closed diary.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Or it might not work for you. I see no point in an open diary or why people's panties get in a bunch when someone's diary is closed. I get it if they are asking for specific help on what they're eating but to get bent because someone's diary is closed makes no sense to me.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    How can someone preach against processed food and its 'dangers' and talk about their imaginary health superiority, yet there diary has processed junk foods in it. It is like a person who is preaching about the dangers of tobacco while having a full pack of cigarettes hidden in their pocket.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Wow... lots of really sensitive people in these threads.

It's just food people...
  • Annie_01
    Options

It's just food people...

It's just a food diary people...

...a list of what people ate and digested (or possibly didn't digest). I just don't find that a great source of inspiration and quite frankly...none of my business.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    How can someone preach against processed food and its 'dangers' and talk about their imaginary health superiority, yet there diary has processed junk foods in it. It is like a person who is preaching about the dangers of tobacco while having a full pack of cigarettes hidden in their pocket.

I get what you are saying and I don't necessarily disagree with it.

I think however there are times when one might "preach" and yet not follow their own advice.

I might tell someone that they should eat plenty of vegetables. Yet if they looked at my diary they might possible think that I am not following my own advice.

I cook a lot so what might appear as just a tuna casserole actually is filled with vegetables. Also...I don't eat enough vegetables...that is due to that most of them...the ones that I truly like...were the ones causing me so much digestive issues. During the whole process of losing weight...getting healthy I have battled stomach issues. After almost a year...finally figured out...the very things that were making me healthier...were making me sick!
  • J72FIT
    Options
    there are other costs involved here.

Interesting... like what?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As I was saying...
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Quite a few clean eaters here DO NOT preach against processed foods or what you perceive as 'imaginary' health superiority. Just because someone says they are eating clean does not imply anything with respect to your diet. In fact, I truly believe a lot of the problems revolving around the mention of clean eating here is those who don't eat clean projecting their guilt or insecurities over their own diet. Eat what you want but don't make the assumption that clean eaters give you anything more than at best a passing glance. With respect to the dangers of tobacco, the medical profession is the best at preaching but not following their own advice.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Quite a few clean eaters here DO NOT preach against processed foods or what you perceive as 'imaginary' health superiority. Just because someone says they are eating clean does not imply anything with respect to your diet. In fact, I truly believe a lot of the problems revolving around the mention of clean eating here is those who don't eat clean projecting their guilt or insecurities over their own diet. Eat what you want but don't make the assumption that clean eaters give you anything more than at best a passing glance. With respect to the dangers of tobacco, the medical profession is the best at preaching but not following their own advice.
    And there it is.......
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means something different to everyone and no, it doesn't mean "washing your foods before you consume".

um... that's precisely what "clean eating" means to me- you cannot in one sentence say "it means something different to everyone" and then say but it NEVER means this.

Following the 5 second rule for dropped donuts?
    depends on if it lands sticky side down or not... and on a carpet or not.

Sticky side down is an automatic trashcan toss.
    Carpet is an automatic trashcan toss.
    Sticky side down on the carpet? Then I just call my BF over and have him clean it up. LMAO
  • StriversNYC
    StriversNYC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    anything not processed
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If "clean" eating is eating only non-processed stuff, can we agree that it doesn't have much to do with health OR weight loss?

And if you don't agree, tell me why frozen vegetables are unhealthy.