What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is when you use a bib and napkins and are careful not to make a mess.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I define it as eating less from the can and more from the pan. In other words if I can make it myself I do. I try to steer clear of any packaged foods that list ingredients that I can not pronounce or spell.
    Im not obsessive about it. I do eat pre made stuff sometimes. I consider my diet 80% clean, pre- mfp it was probably 20%.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Foods that come from the ground
    No processed foods

This is a little too simplistic. In my profile I make reference to fritos being clean - it's a tongue-in-cheek poke at clean eating, but it's also fairly accurate, Look at a bag of frito-lay's fritos - they contain 3 ingredients; corn, corn oil, and salt. They are a whole grain food with no added colors, preservatives (other than salt), flavorings, etc ... I would argue that they are clean. I would not however argue that they are health food. They can be part of a healthy diet, however. Fritos arent bad - just a lot of fritos are bad .. just like anything else. Cape Cod chips are the same: Potatoes, Oil, Salt. But on no, Junk Food!!!!

If you take strawberries and make all natural jam, and some company uses the exact same recipe and sells it, is their less clean than yours?

That's what gets me about "clean"

My definition is simplistic because it's that simple. To me.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ‘When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hi pals I'm Kimberly & I'm working on becoming a healthier me!! I'm trying to make better food choices. What do you consider clean eating?

Hi Kimberly. There are a lot of clean eaters on MFP. Some like myself bow out of the deliberate clean eating threads because of the drama they create. Unfortunately starting a thread as such is often viewed as trolling. Good luck on your journey to a healthier you :drinker:
  • AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Food that is white in color. Potatoes, peeled, and sugar are the cleanest foods out there.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi pals I'm Kimberly & I'm working on becoming a healthier me!! I'm trying to make better food choices. What do you consider clean eating?

Hi Kimberly. There are a lot of clean eaters on MFP. Some like myself bow out of the deliberate clean eating threads because of the drama they create. Unfortunately starting a thread as such is often viewed as trolling. Good luck on your journey to a healthier you :drinker:

By whom?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why is it that more often then not (not always of course) the "clean eaters" are the ones with the closed diaries? Maybe you're not as "clean" as you'd like to think?
    Or, perhaps, they are tired of being JUDGED.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Why is it that more often then not (not always of course) the "clean eaters" are the ones with the closed diaries? Maybe you're not as "clean" as you'd like to think?

I think that there is a fair amount of judgment being thrown around on both sides of this "debate" for want of a better word. I don't like the use of the term "clean" because it's so vague, but I have plenty of friends IRL who use it regularly and each define it differently. To each his own, but I like my 5 seconds rule.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I'll start by saying...I am one of those people that eat...dirty.

Whether one chooses to open their diary up is an individual choice. This is an individual journey that we all take...with our own set of rules.

My diary has been closed at times...I am a private person...I do things my way. I find it a bit unsettling that total stranger would even be interested in what I eat.

I do think at times there are those that think they are superior because of some buzz word that they have stuck on their dieting. I also think that there are those that think they are a bit superior because they have an open diary.

I have never understood why this open/closed diary thing is such a big deal. Nor do I understand why we judge people based on whether they reveal what they eat...who even cares what anyone else is eating?
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Clean food is basically simple food which is easy to digest and which help to keep your body healthy and nourished.Any edible food item which is not easy on the stomach and has side effects like giving you gastric problem or some kind of uneasiness should be avoided.Balanced diet which contains all the vital nutrients and all the food groups is good clean food and I believe you can have good food when cooked at home.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Doubt it...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Doubt it...
    of course you do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Whether one chooses to open their diary up is an individual choice. This is an individual journey that we all take...with our own set of rules.

My diary has been closed at times...I am a private person...I do things my way. I find it a bit unsettling that total stranger would even be interested in what I eat.

I do think at times there are those that think they are superior because of some buzz word that they have stuck on their dieting. I also think that there are those that think they are a bit superior because they have an open diary.

I have never understood why this open/closed diary thing is such a big deal. Nor do I understand why we judge people based on whether they reveal what they eat...who even cares what anyone else is eating?
    GREAT POST!
  • jmv7117
    Options

^^^^^THIS
  • jmv7117
    Options

I agree! Some like to push the diary issue regardless of the fact that having a closed diary is a personal choice exercised under the terms of MFP's privacy policy. Why some are so concerned with what others eat is a mystery. I suspect the real reason they push certain members to see in their diary is merely for judgmental purposes based on their own prejudiced ideal of what a food is or isn't. I don't want any part of that! No one has the right to ask or pressure another member to open their diary and bashing or attacking another member because they choose to have a closed diary is against the terms of MFP.

Again, I don't get into the 'clean eating' definition debates. I eat clean. I know what eating clean is. I don't need anyone else trying to change my mind, judging or ridiculing me.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I have never understood why this open/closed diary thing is such a big deal.

Having an open diary IMO can be helpful to someone who is struggling reaching their goals. It can be a great resource of ideas for someone who is struggling to see what someone who has had success is doing. At the end of the day, isn't that why we are here?
  • J72FIT
    Options

Doubt it...
    of course you do.
    and of course you don't...
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    hairy-man-eating-a-raw-fish_zps9627b4e2.jpg
    this is clean.
  • wanarun
    wanarun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It does not mean wash your food before you eat it. lol
    I just got this off of the clean eating website that my daughter uses. I hope this helps.

Eat five to six times a day
    Three meals and two to three small snacks. Include a lean protein, plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and a complex carbohydrate with each meal. This keeps your body energized and burning calories efficiently all day long.

Drink at least two liters of water a day
    Preferably from a reusable canteen, not plastic; we’re friends of the environment here! Limit your alcohol intake to one glass of antioxidant-rich red wine a day.

Get label savvy
    Clean foods contain just one or two ingredients. Any product with a long ingredient list is human-made and not considered clean.

Avoid processed and refined foods
    This includes white flour, sugar, bread and pasta. Enjoy complex carbs such as whole grains instead.

Know thy enemies
    Steer clear of anything high in saturated and trans fats, anything fried or anything high in sugar.

Shop with a conscience
    Consume humanely raised and local meats.

Choose organic whenever possible
    If your budget limits you, make meat, eggs, dairy and the Dirty Dozen your organic priorities.

Consume healthy fats
    Try to have essential fatty acids, or EFAs, every day.

Learn about portion sizes
    Work towards eating within them.

Reduce your carbon footprint
    Eat produce that is seasonal and local. It is less taxing on your wallet and our environment.

Slow down and savor
    Never rush through a meal. Food tastes best when savored. Enjoy every bite!

Take it to go
    Pack a cooler for work or outings so you always have clean eats on the go.

Make it a family affair
    Food is a social glue that should be shared with loved ones. Improve the quality of your family’s life along with your own.