My teenager is crying

Options

Replies

• disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Tell her that this is a lesson in growing up. She has to make a choice, and then live with it.

^ this
    plus try logic and pull out a calendar and ask her how it can work.....but then again, I have 2 boys who are 10 and 8....and they are asking for cell phones!!! (so not happening)

p.s. good luck :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I love it, yesterday a whole thread of people saying how great having children is , then today people talking about how ****ty they are.

It's probably all the same people too. Go figure.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    My daughter will be 12 in November. She definitely is developing the teenage attitude and flare for drama..
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    ...because we won't let her sign up for two sports that conflict with practice AND game times, yet she's convinced "she can handle it".

Why does your teenager cry?

And is there a black market where I can sell mine?
    Let her sign up for the sports but, make her sign a contract with you that she WILL NOT QUIT and, she will also keep up on school/church/chores, ect.
    Explain that the contract is a binding form and failure to honor the contract will result in forfiture of stuff like phones, television, ect.

No, I'm not letting her sign up for two sports and miss games and practices for both sports, it's not fair to the teams.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    My daughter, who is still not technically a teenager, once could not stop crying because she feared she'd only see 3 female presidents in her lifetime.

This is one of the cutest things I've ever heard, lol!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 year old, and you guys are scaring me.

Mine will be 9 next month and she already acts like a hormonal teenager.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It's an opportunity for you to develop your relationship with her by helping her to find the best activities and schedule.
    My suggestion is to use kindness, sincerity, gentleness. Be a safe place for her to share her heart, but don't force her to reveal herself. Make boundaries and keep them (that's what parents are for), and yet seek to understand her as best you can. Hear her. Use wisdom and completely rid yourself of any sarcastic-type of communications/responses/words attitudes (that would seriously shut her down, and shut you out). Success for you as a parent in this scenario, is to simply help keep her safe, and be a safe place for her.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    I've lived with adjudicated teen girls, now I have two of my own. One is a few weeks from being 19, the other is 14. Don't believe the hype. They are no more or less crazy during the teen years than at any other time. The house rules are still the house rules. With extra rights and privileges come more responsibilities. I'm still "the boss of you." It's not always a nightmare.

I was expecting mayhem, but it's been fine. Way more fun than I was expecting. They help more, we can have adult conversations, I have more freedom and so do they. It's an honor and a privilege to see them turning into the people they are becoming.

Finally, someone else who has enjoyed the teen years. I have three boys, 21, 16 and 16. Every year has had its challenges and rewards. But every has been more fun than the previous. And when you can start talking with them as adults about shared experiences? The best! :heart:

I never said I don't enjoy my teenage daughter, I love the fact that we can talk more and I can teach her cooler things, and she is becoming more independent than she already was. You have to admit though, that teens are emotional, and emotional sometimes about things you wouldn't expect. Once when I was 13 I cried watching Disney's Robin Hood, because I thought no one would ever come to save the day for ME. When I think back on it, God that's funny.

It's not that your children become more crazy, it's that their problems seem emotionally heightened and are often times actually more important problems to deal with than issues they have as young children.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I've lived with adjudicated teen girls, now I have two of my own. One is a few weeks from being 19, the other is 14. Don't believe the hype. They are no more or less crazy during the teen years than at any other time. The house rules are still the house rules. With extra rights and privileges come more responsibilities. I'm still "the boss of you." It's not always a nightmare.

I was expecting mayhem, but it's been fine. Way more fun than I was expecting. They help more, we can have adult conversations, I have more freedom and so do they. It's an honor and a privilege to see them turning into the people they are becoming.

Finally, someone else who has enjoyed the teen years. I have three boys, 21, 16 and 16. Every year has had its challenges and rewards. But every has been more fun than the previous. And when you can start talking with them as adults about shared experiences? The best! :heart:
    THANK-YOU for this!! I have two teenagers, and they are lovely! I know lots of other great teenagers, too!
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    ...because we won't let her sign up for two sports that conflict with practice AND game times, yet she's convinced "she can handle it".

Oh man. Tell her to relax a little and enjoy life. Let me guess, all AP or honors classes with a need for a 4.0 GPA?

Tell her to knock it off or one day she'll end up with mono and miss a whole month of senior year.

Yep, starting her freshman year taking honors classes and hoping to get into the IB program her junior year. This is another reason the two sports are a no go right now. I told her, just try for one honors class this year and add more if you feel that you need more of a challenge. But noooo, she wants to try several, so I will let her try and I'll support her as best as possible. Part of doing that is making sure she has enough time to do homework.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Teen girls = DRAMA.

I have a 15 year old girl - there is ALWAYS drama.

But - as someone else posted - how could either of the two teams want your daughter if she can't fully commit to either sport?

The High School my daughter goes to - if you miss more than 2 games, you're cut from the team.

There's all sorts of forms the student (AND parents) must sign to promise their child WILL BE at the practices AND games.

Why set your child up for turmoil?
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    But - as someone else posted - how could either of the two teams want your daughter if she can't fully commit to either sport?

That's exactly the point we made, but she no like to logic.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have 14 yo and 11 yo daughters. So far I am enjoying the 13+ age, my oldest was her worst at age 11/12....at 12 I actually thought I somehow screwed up really bad on my first one.....but she became logical again and improved drastically at 13. Now my 11 yo. is just starting that crap, but at least I know its a phase and I can just laugh most of it off.

As for crying, my 14 yo normally only cries when overwhelmed or extremely over tired. Then she just makes very little sense and is a nightmare. The contract idea could work, I would probably when she is calm sit her down and ask her to explain to me or write it out....how she is going to make her time work, give each her 100% and how she plans to do this without putting the burden on others (meaning can't blame me if my schedule doesn't fit her insane one). When she has a logical plan then she can make that decision, until then she would be making commitments that she may not be able to honor with emotion and not thought.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    The contract idea will not work, as she will not be able to give 100% to time conflicting sports. It's not just that I feel she'll be tired and sore, which she would, but that it's physically impossible to be at two practices at once.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The contract idea will not work, as she will not be able to give 100% to time conflicting sports. It's not just that I feel she'll be tired and sore, which she would, but that it's physically impossible to be at two practices at once.

Make her come to this realization, then she will be easier about it. If my daughter wants to do things that conflict, I ask her to explain how? Then I ask the normal stuff like : is that feasible? Would it still be fun? What if? Do you think that's fair to ______? Ect. If they come to the answers on their own they are much more accepting of reality.

The contract idea to me would be a learning experience because if she can't follow through on an irrational idea she will have a penalty. Just letting her talk it out/no contract would work with my daughter. Sometimes they are more rational and understanding, then we give credit for....especially if they figure it out on their own using us to ask the questions and bounce their thoughts off of.

Point out the unfairness of a teammate that misses practice because of another team and how that short changes each team. Don't call her selfish, but point out she herself may consider another to be selfish if they were skipping team practice for their own personal desire.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Women are crazy, and it starts early.

AHAHAHAH YESSS. I agree, and I'm a woman.
  • jsissom86
    jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Let her sign up for the sports but, make her sign a contract with you that she WILL NOT QUIT and, she will also keep up on school/church/chores, ect.
    Explain that the contract is a binding form and failure to honor the contract will result in forfiture of stuff like phones, television, ect.

That's a little extreme -- let her sign up for it then let her see for herself what too much of a "load" looks like. LET HER QUIT if she needs to - don't exhaust your child. We've all quit something in life, sometimes stuff just isn't "for you" - if it doesn't make you happy like you thought it would - you quit. It's not that big of a deal, we are all human.

But let her realize it may be too much at once on her own...
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    :sad:
    I have an 8 year old, and you guys are scaring me.

Having gone though one teenager, currently dealing with another, and a third waiting in the wings, all I can say is.....

GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR SANITY! :laugh:

Me too and I totally agree with the get out now!!!
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    She doesn't. She's 14.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Look at birth control promo!:laugh: