Deer

FlashMorehouse
FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
July is finishing up, Deer season is just around the corner and I am starting to get excited for the season. Who else likes to deer hunt and who uses game cams to get ready? I personally don't use them but that is because of my specific situation. I would like to know more about them though.

Replies

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    My son and I set up trail cameras this week
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    I've never been hunting, but I've helped dress plenty. Love me some good deer tenderloin!
  • FlashMorehouse
    I've never been hunting, but I've helped dress plenty. Love me some good deer tenderloin!

Why not?
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member

Why not?

I don't really have an aversion to it, I've just never been motivated enough to go get my hunting license. Plus we have enough friends and family that hunt and bring us meat (as in they shoot it, we skin it and eat it, lol) that we don't really have to in order to reap the rewards.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    I hunt metal cans with my pellet gun.
  • Supahvixen
    Supahvixen Posts: 50 Member

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Right hear! Although before deer season is duck season and I am heading to my blind next weekend to starting prepping it for the season
  • FlashMorehouse
    Right hear! Although before deer season is duck season and I am heading to my blind next weekend to starting prepping it for the season

What is your favorite duck to hunt?
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    What do you hunt with? I always wanted to try my hand at trad bow hunting.
  • FlashMorehouse

Have always hunted modern rifle but am interested in traditional black powder. If I could find a Hawkens style rifle in .54 I for a reasonable price I would switch in a heartbeat.
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Well I'm not much for deer meat so I don't hunt it, but I love elk and turkey hunting.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly

Have always hunted modern rifle but am interested in traditional black powder. If I could find a Hawkens style rifle in .54 I for a reasonable price I would switch in a heartbeat.

Ah. guns aren't allowed here. I can only become proficient in bow hunting.
  • DeWitch
    DeWitch Posts: 34 Member
    my Chows hunt frogs - that is as much hunting as we are into :flowerforyou:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I do not have my own land, so I hunt public land. There is a state forest with about 8,000 acres, more or less, that has a lot of deer. So far, it is the best spot to hunt I've found. Hunters in my state are lazy - they will not shoot something unless they can drive right up to it and load it up. Since motorized vehicles are prohibited in this area, I figured there would be very few other hunters when I went out for the first time last year. Turns out, there were lots and lots of other hunters and every group had an ATV illegally driving around. It made me sooo mad, especially since I didn't get a deer that year and should have been able to, had it not been so saturated with other hunters.
  • DeWitch
    :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • FlashMorehouse

Where is here?
  • FlashMorehouse
    my Chows hunt frogs - that is much hunting as we are into :flowerforyou:

Dogs are goofy.
  • FlashMorehouse
    I do not have my own land, so I hunt public land. There is a state forest with about 8,000 acres, more or less, that has a lot of deer. So far, it is the best spot to hunt I've found. Hunters in my state are lazy - they will not shoot something unless they can drive right up to it and load it up. Since motorized vehicles are prohibited in this area, I figured there would be very few other hunters when I went out for the first time last year. Turns out, there were lots and lots of other hunters and every group had an ATV illegally driving around. It made me sooo mad, especially since I didn't get a deer that year and should have been able to, had it not been so saturated with other hunters.

That has to be freaking frustrating. Have you ever checked out midwesthunter.com? They are a hunt specific forum.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly

Where is here?

I come from a land down undah.
  • DeWitch
    my Chows hunt frogs - that is much hunting as we are into :flowerforyou:

Dogs are goofy.
    Mine are sweet and adorable:)
    but, yes! they can be very goofy too;)
  • FlashMorehouse
    That would explain trad bow for you. What would you want to go after? Wild pig? Kangaroo? Which I would love to try and hope to have a chance one day.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member

I hunt targets with my skis on... (biathlon :happy: )
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    That would explain trad bow for you. What would you want to go after? Wild pig? Kangaroo? Which I would love to try and hope to have a chance one day.

We eat kangaroo all the time. You can get it in the super markets here. It's good but a game meat and should be cooked that way. There isn't much hunting down here. You can go after any non native species but it's difficult to find hunting grounds. Kangaroos are culled by a handful of government permitted hunters.
  • FlashMorehouse

I hunt targets with my skis on... (biathlon :happy: )

That's awesome.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I really miss shooting a bow. :(
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    I really miss shooting a bow. :(

I don't play with my Samick Sage enough.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Deer is okay, I really like deer jerky and the steaks are alright, but why not feral hogs?

In several US states the population of feral hogs is increasingly widespread, which is causing a lot of people problems (farmers in particular) with the destruction they cause. And besides you can hunt those with a large knife instead of sitting up in your tree stand hoping to attract something within 100yds using doe urine.

Plus..... BACON
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member

What is your favorite duck to hunt?

I would say Wood Duck is my favorite but Teal are really fun to hunting.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    I'm getting pumped for deer season. Although, none of my hunting clothes fit anymore. NSV!!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Trail camera results - location = top secret
    apple flavored corn was the bait

2qtzhch.jpg

20jn6yr.jpg