Deer

13»

Replies

• ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Too k 6 last year off my land....2 with my rifle, 1 with black powder, and 3 with my bow. Yes, We eat them, I butcher them myself and freeze the meat.

Never needed trail cams, i have 80 acres or pasture with nothing over 3 feet high.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    My husband bowhunts in our backyard. We set up a trail cam (although it's mostly for my enjoyment because I like seeing the little critters and what they're up to...)

I don't hunt but I will process the meat.
  • red66stang
    red66stang Posts: 38
    My neighbor is borrowing my trail cam right now and has it set up in my backyard. I need to put on an old Halloween costume and run in front of the camera this weekend so he has a surprise on it :laugh:. This guy was hanging around last year and my neighbor didn't shoot it. I'm curious to see if he is still around.

http://i58.tinypic.com/xbg76w.jpg
  • Whedgit
    Whedgit Posts: 1
    Hunted ever since I could. Always ate the meat. Process it all myself (roasts, steak, loin, burger, snack sticks, and jerky). Past two years we have also processed our own chicken, beef, and pork. Mix a little bit of beef or pork fat in with the deer to make the burger not so "wild" tasting. I moved last year so I need to find a new place to hunt this fall. Out of state tags are too high to go back to the family farm. Which is unfortunate, I knew all the hot spots so it took more time to process than it did to actually hunt.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    My boyfriend and I set our camera up on Sunday evening. The plan is to scout out a few areas within the next few weeks to see where the most activity is. Unfortunately its all public ground for us. Keeping our fingers crossed for lots of meat to stock the freezer this season!
  • fishingaddict1969
    fishingaddict1969 Posts: 30 Member
    I love to hunt, in fact I am like everyone else, kill, clean, and butcher all my own meat. Deer season here starts in 2 weeks (bow season already started) and I got my tag to hunt in Kansas this year...very excited about that. I also hunt wild pigs and elk when I am lucky enough to get a tag. I love to be outdoors hunting and fishing as often as possible!!! Go organic, eat wild fairchase meat!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    My neighbor is borrowing my trail cam right now and has it set up in my backyard. I need to put on an old Halloween costume and run in front of the camera this weekend so he has a surprise on it :laugh:. This guy was hanging around last year and my neighbor didn't shoot it. I'm curious to see if he is still around.

Dress as bigfoot. :D
  • What do you hunt with? I always wanted to try my hand at trad bow hunting.

Have always hunted modern rifle but am interested in traditional black powder. If I could find a Hawkens style rifle in .54 I for a reasonable price I would switch in a heartbeat.

Ah. guns aren't allowed here. I can only become proficient in bow hunting.

Better choice anyway! ;)
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Very timely ,I was just looking at some trail cams on sportsmans guide. Currently have a primos and just wanted a couple more cameras for cheap. These are hunten outdoors 2 mp strobe flash 2 for 55$ checked reviews on another site and they were good. Were starting our third year on a private lease after we lost our other one after 18 years. I started hunting about 8 years ago with rifle and three years ago with bow. Havent gotten one with the bow yet, i missed twice last year,same deer, i named him lucky. Have venison marinating in fridge today, we process all of ours too and eat venison about 3-4 times a week. Hunting has had a very positive effect on my life and taught me more about myself and my capabilities more than anything else. I also say you can solve all the worlds problems sitting in a tree stand waiting and watching the woods wake up.
  • FlashMorehouse
    FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
    I am not a hunter. I think trophy hunters are a bunch of gutless punks. I've even got a standing invitation for any trophy hunter (ESPECIALLY THOSE *kitten* WHO HUNT EXOTIC ANIMALS) to come to Roanoke, VA, and meet me in my Taekwondo studio. I will show them what it feels like to be hunted.

That said, after reading this thread, you folks seem like a bunch of conscientious people who use the meat you kill for food. With deer populations in SW VA EXPLODING, I understand the need for hunting. I just couldn't do it. I like animals far more than I like people, I guess.

Rock on, people. Thanks for being environmentally caring.

The way you started out, I was half considering taking you up on the offer. :bigsmile:

But appreciate your follow-up, it shows you are open to other points of view and understanding of how things might be done.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    I'mmmmm readyyyyyyy:)

Well, I have a hog hunt first and a gator ride along neither of which require much prep time...and then there is small game, a round of coyote, and then deer time!
  • *raises hand*

Take me with you. Please?
  • The_Aly_Wei
    *raises hand*

*Puts orange hat on you and proceeds to drag you with me.*
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    sept 15th with the bow for deer in CT....cant wait
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member

Well, I have a hog hunt first and a gator ride along neither of which require much prep time...and then there is small game, a round of coyote, and then deer time!

I always wanted to Gator hunt
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    my Chows hunt frogs - that is as much hunting as we are into :flowerforyou:

My female Boston hunts poop in the backyard :sick:
  • The_Aly_Wei

I always wanted to Gator hunt

I am really looking forward to it, even if it is just a ride along. There were only two tags available and my uncle wanted to utilize the one i was planning on using...but, i cant much say no. I suppose i can wait until next year to harvest my own:)
  • red66stang
    red66stang Posts: 38

Dress as bigfoot. :D

Love the idea. Will call a costume shop today!
  • *raises hand*

*Puts orange hat on you and proceeds to drag you with me.*

Yes! Please drag me along!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    My dad sent out his doe tag info at the start of the month, PA wants you to get your info in earlier and earlier every year to make sure you get the permit. Not sure where he expects us to put 2 deer worth of venison though.