Those are some nice looking bucks!!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Trail camera results - location = top secret
    apple flavored corn was the bait

2qtzhch.jpg

20jn6yr.jpg

The top left buck is the only one we would harvest this year...it is a 4-year old (we think). The rest we would let pass until next year...although they are still in velvet and a few more points may develop.

We have an agreement with a large area of neighbors to not to shoot any buck that would score less than 135. You can see the results in these pictures.
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Some *kitten* stole my brother's 2 cams last year, on our 7 acres - this year we have another 40 acres to explore, after buying from the farmer moving south down the road.

I can't wait. I need smaller coveralls...although now I can wear 3 sets of thermals and a bulky sweater underneath to keep warm...nevermind I'm sticking with the big ones!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    I don't enjoy deer, but maybe it wasn't properly cooked, I found it game-y and greasy.

Moose, on the other hand, slow cooked with a little vinegar or teriyaki ... yum!!

I'm Aboriginal, so we are "allowed" to hunt year round. Those in my community respect the animals though and only hunt within season. Most of the time, the hunters go out, and after they catch their prey, they clean and cut it and distribute it amongst the community.

I've gotten many knocks on my door, asking if I wanted moose meat, scallops, crabs, lobster and salmon. We aren't allowed to sell it. Part of the treaty- hunting/fishing is allowed year round for community use, not for retail.

I've never been hunting, but I think I'd love to give it a shot!
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Community hunting is great. I wish more hunters would do the same. My brothers, Dad and cousins all hunt. I am one of 2 girls in the family who do, it's very relaxing to be in the woods and to gain a healthy respect for wildlife and nature. We share amongst each other whatever we get...including the family cow that 4 NYC idiots thought was a deer and were trespassing on our families property dragging it thru the field. Thankfully my one cousin was a sheriff at the time (now retired), so let's just say they saw more steel that weekend than field...as well as lighter wallets!
    I don't enjoy deer, but maybe it wasn't properly cooked, I found it game-y and greasy.

Moose, on the other hand, slow cooked with a little vinegar or teriyaki ... yum!!

I'm Aboriginal, so we are "allowed" to hunt year round. Those in my community respect the animals though and only hunt within season. Most of the time, the hunters go out, and after they catch their prey, they clean and cut it and distribute it amongst the community.

I've gotten many knocks on my door, asking if I wanted moose meat, scallops, crabs, lobster and salmon. We aren't allowed to sell it. Part of the treaty- hunting/fishing is allowed year round for community use, not for retail.

• Go_Mizzou99
    We actually will use all of our deer tags every season. We will harvest deer that have bad racks to get them out of the gene pool, a few does, anything that looks weak or sickly, etc. All deer that we do not consume are donated to D&D Game farm...an animal sanctuary in town here. They have Bengal tigers, lions, ligers, mountain lions, wolves, etc.

http://ddfarmanimalsanctuary.wordpress.com/photo-gallery/

They need at least a deer a day to feed their critters. The local grocery stores give them their "slightly expired" meat.

Before anyone gets up in arms as to why we do not donate to "Share the Harvest"...they always max out and get everything they can freeze, store and use.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Im fortunate enough to work in the hunting industry! Hunt as often as possible and hunt a lot of different critters. I love to bow hunt and usually that is all I do but do occasionally muzzleloader hunt. I just picked up more property and am waiting for my new trail cam to come in so I can hang it and get an idea of what is on the property! Come on Sept 15th!!!!!
  • str8bowbabe
    I'm getting pumped for deer season. Although, none of my hunting clothes fit anymore. NSV!!

Hey thanks for reminding me...woohoo!!!! Shopping for hunting attire of any kind is the best!!!!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    I'm getting pumped for deer season. Although, none of my hunting clothes fit anymore. NSV!!

Hey thanks for reminding me...woohoo!!!! Shopping for hunting attire of any kind is the best!!!!

I have been holding off, a Cabelas store is opening next week 2 miles from my house. I am going to need a 2nd job just to finance my purchases from there
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    I don't deer hunt but I loves me some venison. Back straps? Why yes thank you!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member

2qtzhch.jpg

20jn6yr.jpg

The top left buck is the only one we would harvest this year...it is a 4-year old (we think). The rest we would let pass until next year...although they are still in velvet and a few more points may develop.

We have an agreement with a large area of neighbors to not to shoot any buck that would score less than 135. You can see the results in these pictures.

and THAT is how culling SHOULD be done. good on you guys, keeping the game strong.

also, should you HAPPEN to have more meat than you need, i can clear out some freezer space.
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    I love to hunt!!!! waiting for November here in Indiana (opening day of shot gun) :bigsmile: :smile:
  • FlashMorehouse
    FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
    I want to be friends with everyone of you and wish I could respond to every post. Str8bowbabe are you able to tell us a little more about your hunting industry background? I also assume by your user name that you likely use a long or recurve bow?
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    I live in a metropolitan area south of LA (Los Angeles not Louisiana), so the only hunting I get to do that doesn't require a 4 hour drive each way is hunting for deals on new workout gear at the local mall.

However, I have been know to hunt the occasional 2 Legged Dear!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    I'd love to try that meat!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    One time when I was younger I was tricked into eating deer meet. After my parents told me what I had just eaten, I looked at them and said "You mean I just ate Bambi???" :sad: And yes I do believe I cried. (I was around 8 or 9 at the time.)
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    I have nobody to go with or I would be open to it.

My uncle hunts pheasants just before the deer hunting opener and usually comes away with a few hundred dollars worth of meat.

Their springer spaniel went to puppy heaven last year though, so not sure if he'll go again. My aunt's tzitzu probably wouldn't be much help.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    I only hunt my fellow man.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    I don't deer hunt but I loves me some venison. Back straps? Why yes thank you!

I just had one for dinner on Sunday...omnomnomnom.

ETA I don't hunt, my boyfriend does.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member

If it was greasy, it either wasn't cooked or processed right.
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    EAT MORE DEER!!
    Help thin the herds out there!!

I say this as a motorcyclist who went "hunting with a Honda" in November 2009 - Bambi attacked my Gold Wing and caused $5,000 in damage and possibly caused my neck issue I'm having!!!
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Actually, antelope season is right around the corner...then deer season. Got both tags. *bows*
  • BowHunter1967
    BowHunter1967 Posts: 56 Member
    I'd love to try that meat!

MinMin I'll have to send you some! lol
    Good stuff when done right.
    Low fat-high protein goodness
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I do not have my own land, so I hunt public land. There is a state forest with about 8,000 acres, more or less, that has a lot of deer. So far, it is the best spot to hunt I've found. Hunters in my state are lazy - they will not shoot something unless they can drive right up to it and load it up. Since motorized vehicles are prohibited in this area, I figured there would be very few other hunters when I went out for the first time last year. Turns out, there were lots and lots of other hunters and every group had an ATV illegally driving around. It made me sooo mad, especially since I didn't get a deer that year and should have been able to, had it not been so saturated with other hunters.

That has to be freaking frustrating. Have you ever checked out midwesthunter.com? They are a hunt specific forum.

No, but I don't live to hunt... it is just something I do every year to shop for some lean meat for the following year. Usually, I go outdoors to visit and enjoy, not to conquer. Most hunter specific forums I find are more for the latter.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Bowhunter for life!! No cameras out this year but I have in the past.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    We are fortunate to have our own farm to hunt on...it is 120 acres and only 20 minutes from my office/30 minutes from home. My farm is great for fishing (4 lakes and several ponds), deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, wood ducks, and dove.

My brother in law has 200 acres that we also hunt on...but it is 90 minutes away. This place we use for deer, turkey, and geese.

I gave up on public land years ago because there are too many wack-a-doodles out there with high powered rifles and shot guns.
  • str8bowbabe

I have been holding off, a Cabelas store is opening next week 2 miles from my house. I am going to need a 2nd job just to finance my purchases from there

And that's why I am soooooo lucky to be in the business! Couldn't afford the toys if I wasn't!
  • str8bowbabe
    I want to be friends with everyone of you and wish I could respond to every post. Str8bowbabe are you able to tell us a little more about your hunting industry background? I also assume by your user name that you likely use a long or recurve bow?

I have bowhunted for 20 years...back when girls didn't hunt. I scout, hang my stands, track and drag along with clean and process my own deer. I have owned my own archery pro shop and currently work for a leading archery manufacturer as a sales coordinator for mass stores such as the ones others have mentioned here in previous posts. I use a compound for hunting right now. I do shoot a recurve but am not good enough in my opinion to hunt with it yet. I also bowfish and like I said also muzzleloader hunt on occasion. Shot gun hunted for about 3 or 4 years and realized I wanted more of a challenge. Now with the compound, I am looking to eventually hunt with a recurve for the challenge of it. So very blessed to have the career I have.
  • str8bowbabe

2qtzhch.jpg

20jn6yr.jpg

^^^^^
    totally agree!

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    I am not a hunter. I think trophy hunters are a bunch of gutless punks. I've even got a standing invitation for any trophy hunter (ESPECIALLY THOSE *kitten* WHO HUNT EXOTIC ANIMALS) to come to Roanoke, VA, and meet me in my Taekwondo studio. I will show them what it feels like to be hunted.

That said, after reading this thread, you folks seem like a bunch of conscientious people who use the meat you kill for food. With deer populations in SW VA EXPLODING, I understand the need for hunting. I just couldn't do it. I like animals far more than I like people, I guess.

Rock on, people. Thanks for being environmentally caring.