Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• davefred99
    davefred99 Posts: 11
    Options
    I started taking Phen 4 days ago and noticed right away I had more energy but also have not been able to sleep as well at night. I basically feel like I am on a caffeine high that does not go away all day long. I also have noticed that I sweat much easier. On day two I went to the gym for my normal workouts and noticed my heart rate was about 20 points higher during my treadmill workout.
    I think that this is pretty much how it is for most folks as it is a stimulant. My weight Dr. said he only prescribes 30 days at a time and I have to go in and have my blood pressure and weight checked before I can get a refill then at 60 days I must come in for a full check out in his office. He did tell me about some of the possible side effects but for most people they diminish after a week or so.
    i do not think I will stay on them for a long time but do want the boost short term for up to 90 days or so by then I hope to be able to taper my weight loss program back to a more normal approach for long term health.

I would love to hear more long term effects and if others who have done it would do it again.
  • CassandraSmith1
    Options
    i started taking phentermine today. I only have a prescription for a month, because my doctor wants to monitor my blood pressure. everytime i go to the doctor no matter how much weight i loose, the scale says 320 lbs. i want to weight 145 to 150, so i have a long way to go. I am a cosmetology student and i wanted to start to loose the weight before i start to do interviews. Wish we luck.
  • TCarter85
    TCarter85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine about six years ago and I lost 25lbs on the first month. I lost a total of 55 lbs in three months. When I decided to stop taking it. I gained 68 lbs. The medicine gave me energy and supressed my appetite but it had real bad side effects. I would have insomnia, dry mouth with a bad taste, and it seemed like I would almost blackout from not knowing when I was hungry. If you can't fight the temptation of eating bad food this medicine is perfect for you. Just make sure you force yourself to eat three meals a day and see a doctor every other week.
  • TCarter85
    TCarter85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine about six years ago and I lost 25lbs on the first month. I lost a total of 55 lbs in three months. When I decided to stop taking it. I gained 68 lbs. The medicine gave me energy and supressed my appetite but it had real bad side effects. I would have insomnia, dry mouth with a bad taste, and it seemed like I would almost blackout from not knowing when I was hungry. If you can't fight the temptation of eating bad food this medicine is perfect for you. Just make sure you force yourself to eat three meals a day and see a doctor every other week.
  • grooveadelic
    Options
    My Dr. just put me on this.... Phentermine @ 37mg per day. I am pushing 300 lbs and have arthritis of the knees. I have steadily been declining in health and gaining weight since getting the diagnosis but because it's not 'bad' enough to warrant surgery for me yet. I tried Synvisc (synthetic synovial fluid) but had an allergic reaction so no more of that :( I know weight has a LOT to do with my constant pain so I'm in a vicious cycle of pain = pain meds = reduced activity = reduced metabolism and heaping side dish of depression due to the condition (used to be very active). When I did a google search I ran across this within my own Fitness Pal, which helped the Dr. make this decision, he looked at my daily food logs, I'm eating the right foods, the right amounts, however with little to no results. I work with a trainer twice a week, he's made me stronger around the affected knees so I can do more, but the years of inactivity have taken it's toll and I suspect Metobolic Syndrome. This is my last stand against obesity, if this doesn't work we'll discuss the lap-band surgery, but I had hoped NOT to go that route.

I hope this kick starts my metabolism, I don't want to take the easy route, I work out and try to maintain my active lifestyle, however pain does horrible things to a person's life and psychological state. After the first day I noticed an increase in energy and without increased pain? I wonder if this helps amplify the NSAIDs I take? that would be an added bonus! I also noticed my mood was a better, I felt like my old self again.

I've made mental notes from this string of posts.... wean off gradually.... make life changes.... think positive and know that my Dr. didn't come to this prescription lightly, I've been going to him for quite a few years and this is the first time he's given me something for obesity. I hope it works..... wising you all luck and myself too!

xoxo
    weightfull in Seattle
  • catnips30
    catnips30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was searching Google for information on Phentermine when I came across this post...

My PCP just prescribed me 37.5mg Phentermine, because I've experienced a significant weight gain following a miscarriage last fall. I'm excited to add this to a healthy diet and regular exercise (I begin training for my 2nd marathon next month) but I'm curious...

TO THOSE WHO HAVE TAKEN PHENTERMINE IN THE PAST (BUT ARE NO LONGER USING IT): what happened once you stopped taking it?? Did you gain any/all of the weight back?

I've read a lot of comments from people who are on it now and "hoping" not to gain the weight back- and some from people who "know someone" who gained all the weight back... But I'd really just like to hear from people who have gone through the entire experience and come out the other side. Thank you!!

I was 265 pounds a year after having my son and was prescribed 30mg phentermine capsules at that time. I lost 28 pound the first month and continued to loose weight after. I got down to about 205 pounds and got stuck, I wasn't taking phentermine anymore and was able to maintain that weight for several years. Then I went back on phentermine and at my lowest was 134. I got sick and had a miscarriage as well and gained weight back last year, I just started taking phentermine again determined to get back to 134 and hoping to go even further and reach the 120s this time around.

To answer your question, it all depends on the person. For me (and I believe for most people) to successfully keep the weight off after stopping phentermine I had to continue living the lifestyle I was while on phentermine. If you eat healthy and keep active while on phentermine and then as soon as you stop taking it you start eating more or eating poorly and stop exercising, the weight is going to come back on and then some. I think the trick is finding eating and exercising habits that you will be able to sustain long after stopping the phent. A doctor I was seeing prescribed me a 800-1000 calorie a day diet, that's all fine and grand while on phent. but what about after? For me once I got down to around 140, my stomach was so small and I was so used to eating saucer sized meals that I found myself weighing 134 without even trying and being able to maintain that weight, but as soon as I got sick and had to eat large, heavier meals in order to safely take my medicines and being bed bound for months I gained a significant amount of weight back. It all boils down to consistency. That's why so many people stop the phentermine and gain weight back as soon as they do, they did things while on the drug that they just couldn't keep up doing without it. I have a friend who fell victim to thinking it was a "miracle" pill after seeing my weight loss and thinking she wouldn't have to work for it. But its only a tool, it makes it easier but can't do the work for you. While on phentermine my friend continued to eat sugar, crackers,white flour, drink sodas and so on and so on, instead of cutting all that out while she had the appetite suppressant at her disposal. Yea, she lost a little weight because even tho she was eating bad stuff she was eating less of it, but she didn't loose what she could have and as soon as she ran out of pills the weight slowly came back. People get phentermine and take it at the highest dose and then say they have to force themselves to eat and those are the main people who end up gaining everything they lost plus more back or they end up not being able to loose the weight because after a few days of not eating or not eating anywhere near enough there body goes into starvation and they go on a binge, eating everything in sight. Phentermne capsules can be opened and split, using empty capsules you can find cheap online or at health food stores. Tablets can easily be cut in half. I couldn't take 37.5mg phentermine, it was too strong and I weighed 265 pounds. The side effects like dry mouth, insomnia, racing heart, headaches, having to force yourself to eat and even the regaining weight are waaay less likely to happen if the correct dosage is taken. For me alternating the dosage everyday works best. I do 30mg every other day and 15mg each day in between. Splitting the dosage like that also extends the phentermine, an added bonus since it can be quite expensive.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My Dr. just put me on this.... Phentermine @ 37mg per day. I am pushing 300 lbs and have arthritis of the knees. I have steadily been declining in health and gaining weight since getting the diagnosis but because it's not 'bad' enough to warrant surgery for me yet. I tried Synvisc (synthetic synovial fluid) but had an allergic reaction so no more of that :( I know weight has a LOT to do with my constant pain so I'm in a vicious cycle of pain = pain meds = reduced activity = reduced metabolism and heaping side dish of depression due to the condition (used to be very active). When I did a google search I ran across this within my own Fitness Pal, which helped the Dr. make this decision, he looked at my daily food logs, I'm eating the right foods, the right amounts, however with little to no results. I work with a trainer twice a week, he's made me stronger around the affected knees so I can do more, but the years of inactivity have taken it's toll and I suspect Metobolic Syndrome. This is my last stand against obesity, if this doesn't work we'll discuss the lap-band surgery, but I had hoped NOT to go that route.

I hope this kick starts my metabolism, I don't want to take the easy route, I work out and try to maintain my active lifestyle, however pain does horrible things to a person's life and psychological state. After the first day I noticed an increase in energy and without increased pain? I wonder if this helps amplify the NSAIDs I take? that would be an added bonus! I also noticed my mood was a better, I felt like my old self again.

I've made mental notes from this string of posts.... wean off gradually.... make life changes.... think positive and know that my Dr. didn't come to this prescription lightly, I've been going to him for quite a few years and this is the first time he's given me something for obesity. I hope it works..... wising you all luck and myself too!

xoxo
    weightfull in Seattle

It's great that you are working on this! My sister is very overweight. She had to have a knee and a hip replaced. She is diabetic. The difference between her and you, is that you are trying to make a difference, and get healthy habits. Sadly, my sister has not tried to lose weight. She is my big sister and I love her dearly, I've tried to coax her to go walking with me, just around the block. As it is, she has a handicapped tag, and can't walk more than 100 feet or so. It makes me very sad.

So you see, I think you are doing great!

I understand about the pain keeping you from doing things. I have a back problem, and very gradually I have gotten stronger. It's really hard for me to do the exercises, but I keep plugging along. I joined a Zumba class, and loved it. But I would have horrible back pain for a couple of days after class.

Finally, I asked my Zumba teacher to modify the moves for me. She keeps me up front, and if she sees I can't do something, she makes eye contact and gives me an easier move to do. I still get a great workout. That's really helped to make me stronger, just moving while standing.

I think you will do great! If you find the 37.5mg. is not working that well, ask him or her for the 30 mg. capsule. It works much better, at least for me. I think it is time released.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Very good advice, Catnips. I think that is true with any diet though. It is so easy, once we start eating what we think is "normally", it is like the pounds have a little memory bank, and all they want to do is come back, and bring their friends with them. It's not just with Phentermine, it's any diet, then going "off" the diet.

And like you said, without changing your lifestyle, it just doesn't work, and is not a magic pill. I found that I have to eat healthy and make sure I exercise. Or why bother with a diet aid? It doesn't make sense if I want to eat badly, lose a little weight, then go "off" my diet and gain it all back again. That is not my intention.

My intention is to keep this healthy lifestyle forever.

Personally I think 900 calories a day is nuts, but that's just my opinion. I try for 1200 a day, sometimes go over, sometimes under.
  • LisaBear1986
    LisaBear1986 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Very good advice, Catnips. I think that is true with any diet though. It is so easy, once we start eating what we think is "normally", it is like the pounds have a little memory bank, and all they want to do is come back, and bring their friends with them. It's not just with Phentermine, it's any diet, then going "off" the diet.

And like you said, without changing your lifestyle, it just doesn't work, and is not a magic pill. I found that I have to eat healthy and make sure I exercise. Or why bother with a diet aid? It doesn't make sense if I want to eat badly, lose a little weight, then go "off" my diet and gain it all back again. That is not my intention.

My intention is to keep this healthy lifestyle forever.

Personally I think 900 calories a day is nuts, but that's just my opinion. I try for 1200 a day, sometimes go over, sometimes under.

JuneBuggy,

I'm struggling with a 1240 calorie diet myself, especially since I am used to a 2200+ caloric diet. When I first started phentermine, I was only following a 20g Fat and 20g+ Fiber diet, and lost 28lbs. I've recently switching my focus from the fat to my caloric intake. My mom is still following the low fat/high fiber diet and has lost 38lbs. I definitely think a 900 calorie day is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wild. I think my body would go into starvation mode!

I'm trying to get my mom to go to water aerobics with me. Her knee really hurts her...she is obese, and has arthritis in her left knee, and has a VERY difficult time walking, but she's doing a fabulous job losing the weight with her diet, but it would be sooo good for her joints.

I'm glad to see that I've met some great people on this forum that are going through the same struggles as I am. Thanks y'all for the support :happy:
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I took generic Fastin (Phentermine) on-and-off in the 1990s. The doctor thought my best weight was 108-110; he was willing to prescribe them any time I weighed as much as 125. The fastins helped me by taking the edge off my appetite just enough that I wasn't constantly thinking about food. I doubled the prescribed dose because one tablet per day had no effect. So I took one at around 11 a.m. and another at about 2 p.m. Always with a caffeinated beverage, which acted as a catalyst. I never experienced any side effects whatsoever! No increase of energy (I am a VERY low-energy person), no problems sleeping, no jitters. Official disclaimer: I am not recommending that people take a double dose; it probably could be dangerous for some people. But it worked very well for me, and I do very highly recommend Fastin (Phentermine.)
  • hkisme
    hkisme Posts: 3
    Options
    I did - I took Phentermine. I DO NOT recommend it. I know that it works in the short term. But it will start to create rage and feelings of the world "falling apart". Please use caution with it. I know how you feel wanting to lose and looking for any way possible....that was me. Just be careful and take care of yourself. :)
  • idojpdx
    idojpdx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I did - I took Phentermine. I DO NOT recommend it. I know that it works in the short term. But it will start to create rage and feelings of the world "falling apart". Please use caution with it. I know how you feel wanting to lose and looking for any way possible....that was me. Just be careful and take care of yourself. :)

While medications can affect different people in different ways, I don't believe hkisme's experience is the norm for most people taking phen. I have never felt like this in the three months I've been on it. I also took it for three or four months about 15 years ago and never had those feelings. My side effects have been minor (dry mouth and a little insomnia now and then), and I tolerate the drug well, as I think many people do. It has been in use since the 1950s, with good results for those who commit to a healthy lifestyle while on it, and continue that lifestyle once they stop taking the drug. Phentermine may be contraindicated in people with a family or personal history of mental illnesses such as depression or anxiety, and a responsible physician will screen for those conditions before prescribing it. At least, both the doctors I have worked with do/did.

Those who are against phen or have regained weight after coming off it always want to blame it on the medicine. They need to acknowledge that even people who lose weight without phen can and often do gain it back, plus more. I know that for years I lost and gained the same 20 or 30 pounds on Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, Jenny Craig, and by doing my own calorie counting. My longest weight-loss success was with phentermine. I lost 60+ pounds and kept it off for a decade. I was never able to keep weight off for more than a year or two by doing it all through willpower, diet, and exercise.

It's all about modifying your behaviors related to food and physical activity. Phen is just a tool to provide motivation that will hopefully jumpstart better habits, just as nicotine patches and prescription medications are tools for smokers seeking to quit. Nobody ever said it doesn't take work to be successful at it in the longterm, even if you do use phentermine.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I am glad we have this support, too. It really helps me! There also is a private, very selective, small Facebook group, where none of your friends will know you are in the group. If you are interested, you can message me.

I had that happen too. It was when I took Phentermine previously. I would get very nervous and jittery and make bad judgements. My temper was right on the edge, ready to snap any second. My adult daughter would say "Mom, are you on diet pills again?"

Here's the odd thing. Since I started taking Lamictal for bi-polar, that doesn't happen anymore. My daughter doesn't know I am taking diet pills, and I want to keep it that way. I feel very calm now. No side effects from the Phentermine at all.

Taking it with the Lamictal, it seems to be working for a longer period of time. I have been taking it for five months, and it still works.

Strange, eh?
  • nittany1994
    nittany1994 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What facebook page please let me know. THanks!
  • kansas_mom
    kansas_mom Posts: 16
    Options
    I just started taking this about 2-3 weeks ago. I notice that it gives me extra energy and it definitely curbs my appetite (I'm forcing myself to eat the correct amount of calories a day)... But, what it's not helping me do is actually lose weight. I had started my journey with a fitness challenge at work, so I had already changed my lifestyle to include exercising and healthier eating. But since I started the medication, I have actually gained a couple pounds and fluctuate between about 2-4 pounds. It's frustrating and discouraging knowing that it's supposed to help me lose weight, and it seems to be doing the opposite. :(
  • idojpdx
    Options
    I just started taking this about 2-3 weeks ago. I notice that it gives me extra energy and it definitely curbs my appetite (I'm forcing myself to eat the correct amount of calories a day)... But, what it's not helping me do is actually lose weight. I had started my journey with a fitness challenge at work, so I had already changed my lifestyle to include exercising and healthier eating. But since I started the medication, I have actually gained a couple pounds and fluctuate between about 2-4 pounds. It's frustrating and discouraging knowing that it's supposed to help me lose weight, and it seems to be doing the opposite. :(

Perhaps PMS is causing water retention? Sometimes when we start focusing more on the scale we realize just how much water weight we temporarily gain each month. I will gain 2-4 pounds for at least a week, then it's gone, plus more, a couple weeks later.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started taking Adipex. I've been on it for a week and only take a half of a pill a day or else I can't sleep. I have 3 friends that have taken it at various times and they all did well on it and have kept the weight off for a couple of years, which was why I looked into it. I'm doing it along with sticking to a 1200 calorie diet to get started.

I appreciate the suggestions about methods of boosting metabolism for when I'm ready to come off of it, I'm only going to take it for 3 months plan to come off of it at that point.

Tina

I used to take adipex, and it worked well for me. I had the same problem with sleeplessness at first. I work 2nd shift and don't get out until 12:30 a.m. I found that taking the pill no later than 1 p.m. made a difference. Not sure what time you go to bed, but maybe if you try taking it around noon, you may get to sleep easier.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, please please don't take those pills. IF you want to deter yourself from being hungry then just go for a walk or do some exercise. Those pills are so bad for you and can make you have a heart attack.
  • idojpdx
    Options
    Oh my god, please please don't take those pills. IF you want to deter yourself from being hungry then just go for a walk or do some exercise. Those pills are so bad for you and can make you have a heart attack.

I would like to see peer-reviewed studies on that, please.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Hi! I just started taking Adipex. I've been on it for a week and only take a half of a pill a day or else I can't sleep. I have 3 friends that have taken it at various times and they all did well on it and have kept the weight off for a couple of years, which was why I looked into it. I'm doing it along with sticking to a 1200 calorie diet to get started.

I appreciate the suggestions about methods of boosting metabolism for when I'm ready to come off of it, I'm only going to take it for 3 months plan to come off of it at that point.

Tina

I used to take adipex, and it worked well for me. I had the same problem with sleeplessness at first. I work 2nd shift and don't get out until 12:30 a.m. I found that taking the pill no later than 1 p.m. made a difference. Not sure what time you go to bed, but maybe if you try taking it around noon, you may get to sleep easier.

I think half a pill is good; my doctor wanted me to start out on half. I found that I had trouble sleeping in the beginning, too. It only lasted a few days for me. If it were me personally, I would talk to my doctor about it if it lasts another week or so.