Anyone taking Adipex (Phentermine)?

Options

Replies

• funflow
    funflow Posts: 4
    Options
    I am having the same exact problem. I lost 7lbs, then nothing has come off after that!!! It's frustrating. I take adipex in the morning with breakfast and at night with dinner . The doc says I need to go in for a hormonal check-....my thyroid previously checked out though.
  • bannibeckonz
    Options
    I took Adipex a long while back (14 years ago) and it was very helpful in weight loss and in energy boosting. What came with it was some sleeplessness, cotton mouth & I found myself constantly picking at my face /sucking on my lips or inner cheeks (not typical for me & reminded me of a meth addict, truthfully). I not only reached my goal, I exceeded it. At the time, the side effects were something I didn't notice a lot - aside from my husband telling me to stop picking at my face. I do notice the sucked in cheek or smirky looking face in nearly every picture taken of me during that time though.

I gained back some (20lbs out of 60) & my biggest issue now is a medical condition that makes weight stabilization difficult. I also have a difficult time eating because I rarely feel hungry, which kills my metabolism (so says my doctor). I get up at 5am & sometimes take my first bit around 12 or 1pm - sometimes not until dinner. I love vegetables and would like on them, skipping most other foods. My caloric intake is far lower than it should be, unless I cave to my one major weakness.... a piece of cheesecake with a glass of wine or doctored coffee - equally evil, rarely indulged. When I get hungry, I am starving! I can't eat a lot then, but will eat then eat again an hour later (repeat several times). I have found that slow juicing helps with this, as I sip the juice if it is sitting there. The hard part about juicing, I don't want to get up any earlier than I already am to make it fresh...

At the same time that I was taking Adipex, a friend was too. She did not have the side effects that I did. Her weight loss was incredible and she kept it off for years. However, over the years, she has gradually gained back everything that she lost. She is now using slim fast with minimal success (I don't care for that at all).

I did try Adipex again later to try to jump start - it was completely unsuccessful over the 3 weeks I tried --- maybe it changed, maybe I did -- either way, I suppose it's juicing for now and trying to schedule times to eat correctly
  • cmarsmith86
    cmarsmith86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started Adipex last Friday, the first day I felt great. Then after that my mood just went down hill from there, but the great thing about the pills were I lost 10 pounds in three days. I felt great about that, but my mood just made me feel down. It was like being manic depressive. My doctor said he wanted to put me back on Lexapro which I stopped taking to take this medicine, which could have been the cause of my problems, I do not know. I do know that Adipex caused some side effects on me, just sweating a lot, urinating what seemed like every 10 minutes, and the extreme thirst. I will say that the pills are a good starter if you can handle the side effect, I for one just could not. I will say the only way to really get into a great mindset on this medicine is to start eating right and exercising. The medicine made lose weight but I had to make a decision that my mental health was more important and had to get into the mindset that I could do it without the pills. I for one wouldn't take this medicine again, but I think the decision should really be up to you and your doctor.
  • daniellefennell
    daniellefennell Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am on my 3rd day of taking Adipex, on the advise of my dr. I am also on Lexapro! The first day taking Adipex, I felt a bit zippy in the morning, but that tapered off after a couple of hours. I am generally thirsty, not as bad of dry mouth as I had the first couple of weeks on Lexapro. Day 4...I really cannot feel any bad side effects from Adipex...really enjoying myfitnesspal to help my journey. I would go back on Lexapro..I am taking 10 mg..it changed my life.
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been taking this since March 2014 and have lost 34lbs. I feel so much better. I have changed my lifestyle. I have cut my carbs down to no more then 25G every 4 hours. This was per my Dr. recommendations. I don't drink beer or wine any longer, and if I do it is only 1. I eat very healthy, no processed foods or food that comes from a box, it I can help it. I also walk 2-3 miles 3-4 days a week. I really want to get more active, but once I lose more of the weight it will help.

One thing that my Dr. did suggest is that from time to time, stop taking it for 3-4 days if you feel it isn't helping to curb your appetite as much, and then take it again. I do this periodically during the month, and it does help. I drink tons of water every day at least a gallon. And I have cut back on the Splenda and only use stevia.

I go back in next month, to see my progress. I am concerned about gaining back the weight but, If I keep doing what I have been, I may gain some back but not all.

Yes Diet pills are great but unless you actually change you thought process about food and exercise and actually change what you consume, once you go off of them you will gain it all back. That is true with anything. No Diet is a temporary situation, this should be for the rest of your life.

Everyone wants that magical pill or surgery, but unless you are willing to stop doing what you did before to gain the weight you will never keep it off.
  • LisaBear1986
    LisaBear1986 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been taking this since March 2014 and have lost 34lbs. I feel so much better. I have changed my lifestyle. I have cut my carbs down to no more then 25G every 4 hours. This was per my Dr. recommendations. I don't drink beer or wine any longer, and if I do it is only 1. I eat very healthy, no processed foods or food that comes from a box, it I can help it. I also walk 2-3 miles 3-4 days a week. I really want to get more active, but once I lose more of the weight it will help.

One thing that my Dr. did suggest is that from time to time, stop taking it for 3-4 days if you feel it isn't helping to curb your appetite as much, and then take it again. I do this periodically during the month, and it does help. I drink tons of water every day at least a gallon. And I have cut back on the Splenda and only use stevia.

I go back in next month, to see my progress. I am concerned about gaining back the weight but, If I keep doing what I have been, I may gain some back but not all.

Yes Diet pills are great but unless you actually change you thought process about food and exercise and actually change what you consume, once you go off of them you will gain it all back. That is true with anything. No Diet is a temporary situation, this should be for the rest of your life.

Everyone wants that magical pill or surgery, but unless you are willing to stop doing what you did before to gain the weight you will never keep it off.

jms1739, congratulations on the weight loss! I've lost about the same as you, plus a month longer. I'm now fitting into my scrubs/clothes a lot better, and it's given me confidence. Keep up the great work!
  • irene31170
    Options
    So I was just prescribed Phentermine today. I've been reading all of your posts and I feel a little better about actually trying it. I have never in my life taken any type of weight loss pill so I am a little skeptical. I am 44 years old, 5 feet tall and I weight 169 pounds. I workout 4-5 times per week. High intensity circuit workouts, weight training and I have even completed challenges like the American Mud Run. I love working out. I eat pretty healthy, no processed foods, I am not a fan of sweets although I love salty foods and I use a lot of seasonings in preparing my food. But the point is that I have not lost any weight in 3 years and I think it might have to do with pre-menopause. I am already experiencing night sweats, hot flashes and irregular periods. I am a little freaked out about taking this but I will give it a shot. Wish me luck.
  • rosie3030
    rosie3030 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been taking it for over 3 weeks now and I have lost more than 18 lbs. No MORE late night snacking however I do recommend you consider your calorie intake with all the exercise you do
  • jms1739
    Options

jms1739, congratulations on the weight loss! I've lost about the same as you, plus a month longer. I'm now fitting into my scrubs/clothes a lot better, and it's given me confidence. Keep up the great work!

Thanks LisaBear, and congrats to you as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I took it for 30 days, long enough to establish new habits without losing my mind due to hunger, then I tapered off of them. I think it was a good decision to use them at the beginning of my weight loss program. I now do just fine without the pills and continue to lose a few pounds a month.
  • ohoyotohbi
    ohoyotohbi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I read it, so thanks. :)
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • theresac13
    Options
    Today is my first day on Phenternine. I hate pills. I hate all things prescription but sadly with medical issues (thyroid) I had no choice. Any advice would be great. I have tried everything and regularly exercised with personal training assistance as well. I never much changed the scale. Followed Weight Watchers to the "T"... gained weight, when previously before last pregnancy and diagnosis of Hashimoto's lost weight on it with no problem. I am curious however how anyone has felt on it the first few days. I seem to be feeling a little out of body.... if that makes sense. I also am curious if anyone has tried this with a more primal or paleo diet. I don't usually eat any grains but they are in the recommended plan and my doc said I need the grains for my brain function.... I have always eaten really well, and my problem is more with portion control. So I am hoping with the first month of pills I can rewire my brain into correct portion sizes and not much need this pill anymore. It is all about creating a healthy habit and everyone says it only takes 21 days to create a habit. I am determined to do this. I have about 40 pounds to lose. I don't really want to hear the haters though, with all due respect, I have tried tried tried to lose weight and the scale does not budge. I am hoping the jump start of my metabolism with the addition of the lifestyle change will help keep it off.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day on Phenternine. I hate pills. I hate all things prescription but sadly with medical issues (thyroid) I had no choice. Any advice would be great. I have tried everything and regularly exercised with personal training assistance as well. I never much changed the scale. Followed Weight Watchers to the "T"... gained weight, when previously before last pregnancy and diagnosis of Hashimoto's lost weight on it with no problem. I am curious however how anyone has felt on it the first few days. I seem to be feeling a little out of body.... if that makes sense. I also am curious if anyone has tried this with a more primal or paleo diet. I don't usually eat any grains but they are in the recommended plan and my doc said I need the grains for my brain function.... I have always eaten really well, and my problem is more with portion control. So I am hoping with the first month of pills I can rewire my brain into correct portion sizes and not much need this pill anymore. It is all about creating a healthy habit and everyone says it only takes 21 days to create a habit. I am determined to do this. I have about 40 pounds to lose. I don't really want to hear the haters though, with all due respect, I have tried tried tried to lose weight and the scale does not budge. I am hoping the jump start of my metabolism with the addition of the lifestyle change will help keep it off.

I've been on Phentermine for about two months now. When I first started taking it, I felt like I could probably run a marathon! I was going 24/7. My eyes were bugging out of my head, all the time. I had more energy than I've ever had in my life, and felt great! It made exercising an absolute joy! Don't get me wrong, I've never been one who just hated to exercise, but when you've got energy to burn, it makes it a real treat. Now, with that said, when I wasn't moving, exercising, cleaning house, doing something- ANYTHING, I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. I *had* to be doing something. It just drove me crazy to sit still. After the first month, this all went away, though. I was glad the nervous jitters so to speak went away, but I do miss the extra boost of energy I had, as living with PCOS, I've never had that kind of energy, and it sure was nice!

Now, it does destroy your appetite. At least in my case it does. You have to make sure you remember to eat, and when you do eat, eat correctly. The big thing that I've done, is eat the way I'll be eating when I stop taking the pills. I haven't cut anything out of my diet completely so to speak, but I do watch my carbohydrates. If I want a soft drink, I will allow myself one a day (although, I usually only have one if we eat out). If I want something sweet, I'll eat it, in a small portion. I realize that it's unreasonable to eliminate anything completely. Unless I just *hate* a food or drink, or am allergic to it, most likely, I'm not going to never eat or drink it again- so I need to learn how to incorporate it into my diet.

Staying active and keeping my carbohydrates to around 45 per meal has helped me to get slowly, and sensibly get the weight off. I'm not losing weigh rapidly with the Phentermine like a lot of others. I lose roughly 2-3lbs a week, but I believe it's more likely to STAY off because I'm making changes for live, not just temporary changes. Best wishes!
  • jms1739
    Options
    @ Theresac13- Best of luck on starting the medicine. I really hope it works for you. I understand the thyroid issue, I had half of mine removed so mine is basically hypo now. And the weight stalled for me as well as slowly crept on. Not to mention the complete lack of energy I was feeling, adding to that the fact that I still couldn't sleep, or stay asleep, what little energy I had, wasn't enough to get me motivated to work out.

The jitters are pretty much gone for me as well, what I have noticed and my Dr. even mentioned it, after taking it for a while consecutively, my appetite isn't as low as it used to be as in the beginning, so what I do at times, is a I don't take it for a 2-3 days in a row, or even take it every other day, and this seems to jump start the appetite control again. I know at some point I will have to stop taking it, so by not taking it for those days, I make sure that I stay with my eating/exercise plan, to keep my brain trained on the fact that I have to watch everything, and can't rely 100% on the pills to help me. And I also cut my carbs to no more then 25 g every 4 hours, which worked very well for me.

I look forward to seeing how things go for you. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • Enid_Coleslaw
    Enid_Coleslaw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am taking it--got a RX three weeks ago but I am ready to quit them already because they alter my mood (feeling agressive, then depressed when I'm crashing) and it's starting to give me unusually bad breakouts. The first couple days were pretty good--it's not a medication I would want to take every single day, but for a boost it did it's job: I was working out and the scale moved a bit but then I started feeling annoyed pretty easily and had no patience for anything.
    A couple girlfriends turned me onto phen--they lost weight quickly but were plagued with headaches and 24-7 cottonmouth LOL but the weight did come off pretty fast...but then a four months later gained it all back when they stopped. Definitely not a pill to rely on for long term--it will mess with your body and you may end up gaining more back because it makes your body function with extremely low calorie intake, so that when you are off the pills and have a decent appetite--you will gain weight due to a wonky metabolism. . I think it's a helpful aid for sedentary people--it would give them a push to start working out but seeing as it is basically medical meth--it can be very unhealthy and may give you high blood pressure.
  • catnips30
    catnips30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Of course you gals are 100% right, 900 calories a day IS crazy. I wouldn't advise anyone to do it. Lol, but that didn't stop two different doctors who have phentermine weight loss plans in two different states to both advise pretty much the same thing. One even told me to skip breakfast, isn't that suppose to be the most important meal of the day?! Needless to say I didn't listen or follow his prescribed diet(that didnt include a single fruit aside from grapefruit) and I had great success.

I always ate a large breakfast. Made sure I ate as soon as possible after waking up, and waited an hour or two after eating before taking the phentermine. I think the large breakfast and what I was eating for breakfast really helped me loose the weight. Whole grain hot cereal and turkey bacon most mornings once my weight was well below 200 and before that, when I was heavier or just needing the extra calories I would eat 4 eggs (2 whole, 2 whites) and turkey bacon or the hot cereal, sometimes all three. Between each meal i would eat a piece of fruit, usually apples. I made sure to get in all the calories I could as early as possible. In bed by 9, which was easy because I was working out like a maniac, determined to get the weight off asap. Its all a balancing act really, move more eat more. And, actually once i learned to eat to live and not for pleasure, it was very easy to eat very few calories, it just naturally happen. Living off apples, grapes, lettuce, carrots, homemade soups, lean meats, whole grains and the likes I realized REAL food has very few calories vs what I'd been used to eating. You can eat ALOT of it and still have calories to go. I felt fuller more satisfied eating "the good stuff". Without phentermine I don't think I would have ever truly known what being inside a healthy body felt like. My cravings for all the wrong things, stemming from years of eating all the wrong things, was just too strong.
  • ccassityii
    ccassityii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am on phentermine and I don't like it's side effects it gives me. I have only been on it a month and 9 days. It gives me dry mouth where I am always thirsty, just to make it so it's not dry. Also I never lost weight the first 3 weeks I tried it until I started to eat right and work out. It makes me not want to eat anything. I have to force myself sometimes to eat. I am thinking of stopping the pills and just doing it the better way.

My doctor put me on it after I gained a lot of weight from hypothyroidism.
  • catnips30
    Options
    Oh my god, please please don't take those pills. IF you want to deter yourself from being hungry then just go for a walk or do some exercise. Those pills are so bad for you and can make you have a heart attack.

I would like to see peer-reviewed studies on that, please.

I deeply hope what I'm about to say doesn't sound like some type of lecture, because its not at all meant to be so. I've taken phentermine on and off over a period of years, as I was once 265 pounds. I truely believe it CAN cause heart issues, but only if the dosage is way too high for the person. I had a very bad experience with the strongest available phentermine capsules, after taking the 30mg version with no problem. It was so bad that had I not previously taken phentermine with no ill effects I would have never taken it again. Phentermine works by speeding everything up. It puts our bodies into that flight or fight mode, causing appetite suppression and to a lesser degree it causes our body to release stored fat. Everyone has had an adrenalin rush at some point or another and could feel their heart rate speed up. That's kinda what phentermine induces. This is exactly what happen to me after taking the way too strong 37.5mg phentermine. I took 2 both 24 hours apart and then spent the next two or three days in bed with a pounding heart that I could feel through my back and the rest of my body. Zero hunger, I ate nothing the whole time and didn't want to. When I finally felt normal again I'd lost 4 pounds over a period of 3 days. If someone takes too much phentermine it can cause the heart to speed up uncomfortably too much and I'm sure based off of how i felt after that too high dosage, in the long run someone could develope lasting heart problems from it. I'm not saying this to deter anyone from taking phentermine, id actually recommend it. It did great things for me and for others. Average weight for a woman in my family by age 30 is 250, I weigh 160. Three women in my family had to have gastric bypass surgeries to get their weight down, one was only in her 20s. They all had surgery related problems afterward, that greatly out weigh any issues i ever had taking the diet pill. Phentermine is a wonderful help for anyone trying to change bad habits and get to a healthy weight. Doctors who say its bad for you and so refuse to prescribe it are many. While they have good reason to feel that way it is still unfair because they have a very limited knowledge of how it works and how the dosage makes all the difference. It was easier for the ladies in my family to get their medical insurance to approve weight loss surgery than for them to get doctors to prescribe phentermine.
  • catnips30
    Options
    @ccassityii I would try cutting the dose in half. Should help with the side effects, at least it does for me. It does seem to cause some dry mouth most of the time no matter what though, unless I'm highly hydrated. But if you feel uncomfortable with taking it, maybe try some natural alternatives. Vitamin c throughout the day really gave me a lot of energy. Seemed to lessen hunger as well. I just used a chewable version from a department store and would pop one 3-5 times throughout the day. Really made me feel good.