Quest candy bars.

Options

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The spiking blood sugar some (but not all) people report is a potential issue if you're a diabetic, but otherwise I'm not sure it's something you really need to worry a lot about. The lab reports linked earlier really don't make a lot of sense to me - essentially they're accusing Quest of including well more than double the amount of "fiber" they claim in their bars, as they found only trace amounts of sugars and the calories from protein and fats make up less than half of the calories they supposedly found in the bar. Seems a bit suspect to me and anyone thinking a lawsuit "proves" anything knows nothing about how easy it is to file a frivolous lawsuit.

That said, if you're a diabetic, you really shouldn't just focus on the "net carbs" in Quest bars and assume it's all good, as they do seem to affect blood sugar more than a product containing insoluble fiber. But from a body composition standpoint, it seems debatable as to whether it's soluble fiber or not, and we're talking at most a difference of a few dozen calories from the fiber if the label is to be believed (which seems more likely than the 50g of fiber the "lab report" suggests). I've never had any problems with them, but then again I'm not a diabetic nor do I monitor my blood sugar levels.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

Arguments can be made for both sides. All I know is that every time I introduce those bars into my diet I don't lose and often times even gain. I have also seen the massive blood sugar spike and the calorie differential is just way to large. If they work in your diet more power to you I actually really enjoy them. However, if you aren’t getting results I would take them out of your diet and stop paying a premium price for a product that is not helping you reach your goals.

I have eat 1-2 questbars daily for over a year and have had no issue losing weight. This is along with bacon, peanut butter and pop tarts daily. Its not WHAT you eat that makes you gain weight, it's the quantity of said food that matters. I personally feel that issue(s) you are having with weight loss is not Questbars. You cannot single out one food source for your "weight gain" or lack of "weight loss." The bigger issue is you are consuming more calories then you are burning on an average day.

No its actually directly from them as its the only variable I changed

So correct me if I'm wrong please as I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. Lets say the Cookie Dough questbar was making you gain weight so you stopped eating them. Did you continue to eat calories +/- = equal to said cookie dough questbar or did you stop eating those calories as a whole?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That is a ton of carbs for a protein bar?
    Yup. I'm sorry, I must not have been clear.

That is an excessive amount of carbs for something being marketed as a protein source. Which is why, in my consideration, they are essentially candy. The Quest bars seem to be the best of the bunch though, which is why for the moment, until I find something better they get the nod over another candy product, Gu for what I'm doing. I invite you to take a look at the labeling of "protein bars", if protein isn't the largest macro, it's pretty much not a protein bar. :)

Most protein bars honestly have more carbs than protein. *Shrug*

I'm a little bit confused that you keep talking about Gu being an alternative--isn't that purely a carbohydrate source with zero protein? "Energy gels" and the like are mostly useful for people doing 2+hours of continuous activity such as long endurance races.

That is precisely what a Gu is. :) I have a solid stock of those, which are appropriate for my running, swimming and biking. Not appropriate to my lifting. So, once upon a time, I was curious of how they can be used for my lifting workouts when I'm getting a little bonky during or right after. Which is why I am focused on having what I deem an accepted quantity of proteins compared to carbs.

tl;dr: I can already mainline carbs for my other workouts. I want a mostly protein source for other types of workouts.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Arguments can be made for both sides. All I know is that every time I introduce those bars into my diet I don't lose and often times even gain. I have also seen the massive blood sugar spike and the calorie differential is just way to large. If they work in your diet more power to you I actually really enjoy them. However, if you aren’t getting results I would take them out of your diet and stop paying a premium price for a product that is not helping you reach your goals.

I have eat 1-2 questbars daily for over a year and have had no issue losing weight. This is along with bacon, peanut butter and pop tarts daily. Its not WHAT you eat that makes you gain weight, it's the quantity of said food that matters. I personally feel that issue(s) you are having with weight loss is not Questbars. You cannot single out one food source for your "weight gain" or lack of "weight loss." The bigger issue is you are consuming more calories then you are burning on an average day.

So correct me if I'm wrong please as I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. Lets say the Cookie Dough questbar was making you gain weight so you stopped eating them. Did you continue to eat calories +/- = equal to said cookie dough questbar or did you stop eating those calories as a whole?

Yes I replaced that snack with an alternative protein snack with similar calories and macros (well calories as according to the innaccurate Quest Bar label)
  • dbmata
    Options
    and the some 80-100 calorie potential difference caused you a weight increase, with ALL ELSE being unchanged?
  • tmpecus78
    Options

Yes I replaced that snack with an alternative protein snack with similar calories and macros (well calories as according to the innaccurate Quest Bar label)

oh ok, I see what you did there. Let me guess, after you did this the weight just melted off with ease? :huh:
  • dbmata
    Options
    Would this be premature?

87U-mrw-my-friend-said-he-could-post-about-anything-on-reddit-and-get-gold.jpg
  • tmpecus78
    Options
    and the some 80-100 calorie potential difference caused you a weight increase, with ALL ELSE being unchanged?

that's exactly why i'm questioning her. In order to gain say a 1lb per week, you need to consume a 500cal/per day surplus. Now I don't know how many she ate a given week, but something doesn't add up.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    There's 21 g carbs, 21 g protein, and 17 g fiber in the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar.
    Exactly my point. That's a ton of carbs for a "protein bar".

You are failing to see that there are only 4 g NET CARBS in the bar.

You must not know how to calculate net carbs… So I'll teach you… total carbs - fiber = net carbs.

I'm not failing to see anything. Thanks though. I'll deal with subtracting net carbs when I see enough peer reviewed evidence showing that it is reasonable to do so. Not some snarky post. :)

Everyone knows that it is perfectly correct to subtract the grams of fiber from total carbohydrates on a nutrition label.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I was a bigger fan of them until I actually calculated the macros on them and the calories listed on the label are way off. Most bars average around 240 calories, so not really the great calorie saver "treat" I once thought they were.

Take cookies and cream just as an example since its the new craze:
    Labeled Calories: 180

Macro Breakdown--> protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22 (22 X 4 =88)

84 + 63 + 88 = 235 Calories, not 180 that’s a discrepancy of 55 calories, yes this occurs will a lot of our American food products because technically fiber calories are subtractable but this has turned me off from the brand completely. I guess I'm just glad I always count macros and not calories.

I can not thank you enough for this. I have found that pretty much every label is incorrect and NOT in my favor! Huff!!

The labeling is not incorrect at all. In the US, companies subtract a portion of the carbohydrates that come from fiber from the calorie count. It's not intended to be misleading and it is not the fault of the brand; EVERY label is calculated this way. Fiber is good for you, and is only partially digested. Hence, you really do not absorb 4 cal/g from fiber as you do from other carbs. The fiber used in Quest bars is used to bulk and bind the bar and really doesn't make them "high in carbs" like a traditional protein bar that is full of sugar.

I don't know, there's something off about them. The numbers look good on paper, but I tried 3, on 3 separate days and each time they spiked my blood sugar by 50 points. Eating pancakes and syrup doesn't spike my blood sugar that high.

Did you eat the bar within an our of taking your insulin/medication? I find that the high fibre actually slows down my insulin release when I take my insulin close to eating the bar. So my blood sugars will be really high because my insulin hasn't been absorbed, then shoot down really low after a few hours. That's mainly why I'm careful around the timing of quest bars. They're good for an afternoon snack, when it doesn't interfere with my insulin shots.
  • jeedsjds13
    jeedsjds13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cookies & Cream is my fave flavour...and how many "candy bars" can you say have THAT much fiber content haha!

Note: Cut a bar into 4, and nuke them for a few in the microwave....Best "cookies" I've had in a long while :)
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This thread inspired me to finally try the apple pie one... OMG.

SO. GOOD.

Once I finish my pure protein bars, I might switch to these for a while for variability. :) I'm glad the question was asked! Everyone has great input!
  • FitMelody4Life
    Options

Yes, it didn’t increase by much but I was going into a cut after a 5 month cautious bulk and my weight wouldn’t budge and even fluctuated up 1/2lb- 1lb. Once I removed that variable I started to get steady results. Like I said I actually really like them but they aren’t helpful for me so I stopped buying them. I think for a lot of people there really wouldn’t be a huge issue but I use to be very heavy and always had a hard time losing it took me eating in a very specific way to see results. I've been at my goal for over 3 years now and now I play with bulking and cutting cycles but still to this day cutting is very hard, my body chemistry just doesn’t allow for variations and deviations. Trust me it’s actually really annoying to watch; I use to work as weight loss counselor and I would see people deviate from plan all the time and not gain an ounce or even lose weight. Me on the other hand I would eat one thing off plan and instantly be up on the scale the next day. I've just been through the slow losing process while following a plan to a T and watching others get there faster who don’t follow it as strictly as I did and know the things that held me up personally. That's not to say it’s a problem for everyone like I said earlier if it work for you great, but if you are struggling I'm just sharing my own personal experiences of trial and error.
  • anatmoed
    anatmoed Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was a bigger fan of them until I actually calculated the macros on them and the calories listed on the label are way off. Most bars average around 240 calories, so not really the great calorie saver "treat" I once thought they were.

Macro Breakdown--> protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22 (22 X 4 =88)

84 + 63 + 88 = 235 Calories, not 180 that’s a discrepancy of 55 calories, yes this occurs will a lot of our American food products because technically fiber calories are subtractable but this has turned me off from the brand completely. I guess I'm just glad I always count macros and not calories.

Fiber does not have calories, so you have to subtract it from the total amount of calories from carbs. The right calculation is:
    Protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22g (22 X 4 =88), Fiber: 17g (17 X 4 = 68).

Then: 84 + 63 + 88 - 68 = 167
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Enough of all this BLAH BLAH BLAH...

MY FAVES ARE: CCCD (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is the absolute best) then in no order, Apple Pie (reminds of McD's apple pies slightly and great replacement), Coconut Cashew, Mixed Berry Bliss, Cinnamon Roll, Banana Nut, Strawberry Cheesecake, White Chocolate Raspberry, Vanilla Almond Crunch and Cookies & Cream. These are all the softest ones. I don't like the ones you gotta microwave to soften. All these are melt in your mouth delicious and great with HOT black Coffee.

I rotate all these flavors... this month I bought 6 boxes. Somestimes I have 2 a day. GREAT FIBER! Great Protein. Really, you all trippin' on the carbs and the NET carbs? If you can make these FIT your macros, and you can BLOW the money on them, GO FOR IT! :drinker:

ETA: Oh, and forgot what the Lemon Cream Pie taste like so waiting for a box of dat! :tongue:
  • FitMelody4Life
    Options

Fiber does not have calories, so you have to subtract it from the total amount of calories from carbs. The right calculation is:
    Protein: 21g (21 X 4 = 84), Fat: 7g (7 X 9 =63), Carbs: 22g (22 X 4 =88), Fiber: 17g (17 X 4 = 68).

Incorrect:

What many people don't realize is that bacteria in your gut feed on some types of fiber. They chow down on your dietary bulk and it results in the production of short-chain fatty acids, which your body can use. So from that point of view, fiber would count as calories.

However, not all the fiber that you eat meets this fate, and there's no clear consensus on fiber's caloric contribution. On one hand, the FDA estimates the amount of caloric contribution due to bacterial degradation at about 1.5 calories per gram of fiber. However, different countries and institutions have divergent ideas of what fiber is, let alone how to calculate it in any given meal. The FDA's estimate is just that, an estimate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-does-fiber-count-in-calories.html
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Those things any good? Looks like a 1:1 protein to carb ratio.

How is the taste? Digestability? Looking at these right now.
    http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-bars/cookies-and-cream/?type=box

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough all the way. Massive chunks of chocolate inside. Tastes like you're eating dessert and it keeps you full. No gluten, soy, or gelatin. High fiber. These things are magical!

I'm going to get one of each from GNC this week thanks to all of these posts :)
  • anatmoed
    anatmoed Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Incorrect:

What many people don't realize is that bacteria in your gut feed on some types of fiber. They chow down on your dietary bulk and it results in the production of short-chain fatty acids, which your body can use. So from that point of view, fiber would count as calories.

However, not all the fiber that you eat meets this fate, and there's no clear consensus on fiber's caloric contribution. On one hand, the FDA estimates the amount of caloric contribution due to bacterial degradation at about 1.5 calories per gram of fiber. However, different countries and institutions have divergent ideas of what fiber is, let alone how to calculate it in any given meal. The FDA's estimate is just that, an estimate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-does-fiber-count-in-calories.html

I'm glad it encouraged you to look up how fiber actually works. Still, my comment is by far more accurate than your first claim about the faulty calculations of the Quest bar caloric value.
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Taste great, but expensive.

Is $2.49 really expensive?

Yes, to some of us. They go for 35 bucks for a box of 12 where I live. It's ridiculous. However, I've only ever gone to buy some once, and the only flavor out of the four I chose that I LOVED was the cookie dough one (because when cold, it tastes like real cookie dough, haha). I'd personally only ever buy them if super cheap.

I also buy pure protein bars, as someone mentioned above. I think they're pretty decent, as well.

$25 a box off of Amazon

Oh really? I shall look into that :) Thank you, kind poster! ^.^
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love this thread because I work in a grocery store, and we just started carrying the Quest Bars this week. I have 6 varieties available, but only four shelf spaces for them. I tried to guess which four to carry and the cookie dough one wasn't one of them. I guess I'll have to reconsider since so many people seem to like that one best. I can't try them myself because of the Stevia, so I'm glad I just read this to help me. :smile:

Only about half of them have stevia in them (the "all natural" flavors); the rest are sweetened w sucralose and sometimes erythritol. Just so you know they vary by flavor.