Have you ever been punished

Options
13»

Replies

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    wheird wrote: »
    "But you have such a pretty face! ".......

Is that not a compliment?

Ugh...that is SO not a compliment! I heard that crap for years...

It's only a compliment if you're a floating head.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    KseRz wrote: »
    No, but I bet you a lot more people were punished for not eating all their food.

I was never punished for being fat, but this was a big issue at my school. My grade school lunch monitor lady would make sure that we ate everything on our plate INCLUDING all of the condiment we got. So if you got too much ketchup for your fries, she made sure you got a spoon and ate the rest of the ketchup. We were like 1st - 3rd graders too. I didn't realize how much of an impact that made on me until one day I was eating with my parents when I was like 25 and I was full but still had some ketchup left and my mom asked me if I was done and I said well yeah but I didn't finish my ketchup and I don't want to waste it. She was like "uh...what?" I realized then I had made sure my whole life I didn't waste any of that stuff by either eating more than I needed to to use it up, or not using it. I wonder how much weight I would not have gained if I hadn't had that engrained in my brain.

Ugh, that is terrible! I can't believe the school allowed that. But, things have changed. I'm sorry this not only affected you, but how many other children as well?? Very sad. Good to see you here and see that you are trying to overcome this.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    The tangent is funny, but the topic is really sad.

There is so much mental and emotional food baggage foisted on so many people as kids, it's no wonder we have so many people who struggle with both obesity and eating disorders.

FOOD IS LOVE, EAT ALL THIS FOOD AS IT'S LOOOOOOVE. ALSO, DON'T GET FAT, KID.

Good luck and hugs for those overcoming those old "tapes." Every bit of that baggage you manage to lose will echo back to you in success!

This, 100%.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    No, but I bet you a lot more people were punished for not eating all their food.

This. I was forced to clean the plate before leaving the table, then got harassed by family for putting on weight.

^^ I have read that mentality (you can't leave the table until your plate is clean) is one of the main reasons why people become over weight. It's sad really.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

I legit LOL'd at this.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

I legit LOL'd at this.

Me too.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My mind is apparently in the gutter today...

I haven't been "punished per say" but I did receive snide comments from my mother. I got the "oh, looks like you finally hit your growth spurt, but you went horizontal instead of vertical.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Like many, I was always forced to eat everything I put on my plate. Once I was done, my father would say there are more potatoes, or more _________, you need to finish it. There are starving kids around the world that would love to have that food, so finish it. Also I remember each morning before school. I would not be allowed to get away from the table until I ate my cereal and the milk had to be gone. Well I hated the flavored milk, so I would put in more cereal, and more cereal till the milk was gone. Knowing the calorie counts on cereal now, I'm guessing I would consume 1200 calories at breakfast in order to finish the milk?

I've tried to change with my kids. I never make them finish what is on their plate, but they don't have the choice of avoiding the healthy items as well. I'm not going to let them throw away their vegetables so they can save room for ice cream. It's all about choices?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

This. I was forced to clean the plate before leaving the table, then got harassed by family for putting on weight.

^^ I have read that mentality (you can't leave the table until your plate is clean) is one of the main reasons why people become over weight. It's sad really.

I wasn't allowed to get up until I ate everything. That was ok on mac & cheese night but so, so awful on liver & onions night.

Whoever invented the Clean Plate Club oughta get a SPANKING. Secretary is maybe the hottest movie ever.

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    KseRz wrote: »

I was never punished for being fat, but this was a big issue at my school. My grade school lunch monitor lady would make sure that we ate everything on our plate INCLUDING all of the condiment we got. So if you got too much ketchup for your fries, she made sure you got a spoon and ate the rest of the ketchup. We were like 1st - 3rd graders too. I didn't realize how much of an impact that made on me until one day I was eating with my parents when I was like 25 and I was full but still had some ketchup left and my mom asked me if I was done and I said well yeah but I didn't finish my ketchup and I don't want to waste it. She was like "uh...what?" I realized then I had made sure my whole life I didn't waste any of that stuff by either eating more than I needed to to use it up, or not using it. I wonder how much weight I would not have gained if I hadn't had that engrained in my brain.

Ugh, that is terrible! I can't believe the school allowed that. But, things have changed. I'm sorry this not only affected you, but how many other children as well?? Very sad. Good to see you here and see that you are trying to overcome this.

I'd love to know how many kids I went to school with had this problem. Because if we didn't finish it we had to stand next to the wall at recess and not get to go play with the other kids. The wall you stood with your back up against it and faced out and got to watch all the other kids play. It sucked! Now that I've been logging on MFP, I pretty much stopped using condiments to avoid the need to finish it all and screw up my calorie goal for the day. Which hey not using them isn't hurting me any!
  • cnadiger
    cnadiger Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not the thread I was hoping for.

LOL! Glad I'm not the only one that went there mentally. >:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ln5zejd5MY1qd15b2o1_500.gif
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    The tangent is funny, but the topic is really sad.

There is so much mental and emotional food baggage foisted on so many people as kids, it's no wonder we have so many people who struggle with both obesity and eating disorders.

FOOD IS LOVE, EAT ALL THIS FOOD AS IT'S LOOOOOOVE. ALSO, DON'T GET FAT, KID.

Good luck and hugs for those overcoming those old "tapes." Every bit of that baggage you manage to lose will echo back to you in success!

I'm trying really really hard not to do this to my kids. I make sure they have healthy food all the time, and I let them listen to their body cues in regards to their hunger. So far so good. They eat when hungry and stop when full and all are at a healthy weight. I'm trying to shed this weight so I can be a model for them. I don't discuss my weight in front of my kids or complain about how fat I am or that I am 'dieting'
    My kids know I track and that's ok. They also saw me eat AND have success. Important message they are getting from that. I have all girls, some on their way to teenagerhood so the topic is on my mind!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have. I gained a few pounds when I went to college and when I came back, my great aunt told me I looked fat, lol. God rest her soul!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    When I was around eleven, my parents forced me to follow an exercise tape made for five year olds everyday for about a month.

The thing that made me start this most recent weight loss effort a few years ago was being told by one sibling that the rest of the family was planning on staging an intervention for my increasing weight gain. They had wanted to talk me into going to a weightloss camp.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    DAWNSTEP wrote: »

Yup...same here

My grandmother used to make me sit at the table until I finished all my food. I would sit there for over an hour while I waited for my dad to come and finish my food for me (it was his mother and for whatever reason he never told her that she was giving me too much food.)

When I was a teenager she would say I was starving myself and "overdoing it" because I did weight watchers and exercised to make sure I didnt gain in the summer.