CHEESE?

Options
Hi all,

I am curious about cheese. I LOVE cheese and can eat a whole block if I wanted lol. I have been eating the string cheese as a snack.. usually 1 a day. (its easy to take to work). I was recently told that cheese is not a good food choice to eat when you are trying to lose weight (fat). Any one can talk more on this by experience, etc?

My biggest thing is meal planning and whats good to eat for snacks, lunches, breakfasts... and also being diabetic. *sigh*

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much of it you eat, and how much total of other things. If you don't have an issue with dairy for one reason or another, then your only concern is portion control.

I like cheese also - and eat a decent amount of it. Yesterday I finished off the day with a 2 ounce block. Generally I limit it to 1 ounce at a time.

Calories in, calories out.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Agree with the PP. If you have a dairy/cheese intolerance/sensitivity, then it probably isn't your best choice. If you don't though, no harm in making it fit in your calories and macros. I love cheese and eat it everyday. I've not seen my fat loss or weight loss stall because I eat cheese.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a great snack for dieting. Fat doesn't make you fat. Don't worry about the cheese (within your calories and as part of a balanced diet).
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    calories in, calories out.

If you like cheese, eat cheese. Just remember that cheese is high in calorie for low volume so you should definitely weigh it out, if you aren't already.
  • joshcb15n
    joshcb15n Posts: 17
    Options
    There are low fat cheese sticks that are pretty decent and non fat mozzarella which is good as well. It still comes back to moderation though, can't have a ton of either of these but something that I have added to my diet which is super low calorie and these two things give me a good amount of protein with little fat and pretty much no carbs.
  • littleancientheart
    littleancientheart Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would say in general most diets seem to say that low fat dairy is fine. I think with cheese you need to watch for sodium, how processed it is, and as you mentioned, fat content. Part skim string cheese sounds like a fine snack to me. Its like 80 calories, and the little bit of fat along with the protein help aid in feeling satisfied (at least that works for me). It sounds like you eat them in moderation, too.

I don't personally go for non-fat dairy, except the occasional yogurt. I prefer low fat dairy with no artificial sweeteners or ingredients. I've read lots of different opinions about dairy, there are certainly a lot out there…but at the end of the day you have to figure out what works for you.

The only other thing I'll say about cheese is, if it's a trigger food for you--meaning you find that eating a little makes you want to eat a lot more, or makes you feel out of control, it might be good to avoid it for a little while.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Cheese is yummy and has protein and calcium also. Fat in and of itself is not "bad'. Keep your macros balanced and cheese can fit into any diet nicely.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have a few slices of cheese, either swiss or sharp cheddar, with dinner every night, to help get in some protein. I just keep it within the calorie limit. I sometimes go a little over in fat doing this but I don't let it worry me.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Cheese? Yes please....
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Cabot makes a nice light cheddar. 50 calories per serving. Also they have single serving packs in costco that are also 50 calories. I love cheddah!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight regardless of the foods you eat.

Keeping a good macro balance is a good idea for energy/satiety/muscle retention reasons and a good micro balance is good for general health. Keep those in mind but your cheese can easily be fit into those dietary recommendations.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros and calorie budget, and you like it, then what's the problem? There's no inherent ingredient in cheese that makes your body stop losing weight. Personally I've stopped putting cheese on things that will swallow up the flavor so that you can't taste it...it's just added calories. But straight up cheese, or items which have cheese as a flavor feature, omg yes! So, I don't put cheese on my shredded chicken tacos, but I do put cheese on my hot ham and brie sammie.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with any food (Cheese included), as long as it fits within your daily calorie intake for whatever you are trying to do (Lose weight, Gain weight, Maintain weight). Cheese is perfectly fine, I have a entire fridge drawer full of a variety of different cheeses and always have and I managed to lose a couple pounds..... Best of Luck
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese with nearly every meal, hasn't been a problem. Just be careful with portion sizes, as it can be calorie dense. And worth each and every one. :love:

In ten years, "calories in, calories out" will be completely dismissed, just like we dismiss leaches, which were used by doctors through the early 19th century.

Hold the phones people, we have a psychic in the house!!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    That's a load of bullploppers. I eat full-fat cheeses at least once a day. As long as you're not lactose intolerant, you should be fine.
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    all food is fine if it fits within your calories. I eat cheese like everyday!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

If you like cheese, eat cheese. Just remember that cheese is high in calorie for low volume so you should definitely weigh it out, if you aren't already.

String cheese is great because it has no carbs and no sugar. The notion that fat makes you fat is archaic. For example, avocados, which have lots of fat, are universally praised by most in the know.

So cheese (or an avocado) is much better than having a sugary yogurt, wheat thins, bagels, or a candy bars for a snack.

In ten years, "calories in, calories out" will be completely dismissed, just like we dismiss leaches, which were used by doctors through the early 19th century.

OP was asking if cheese will make her gain weight because it has a lot of fat. I told her that as long as she eats her goal calories (calories in, calories out) she will lose weight.

So you think we will eventually realize that eating less calories than your body requires DOESN'T result in weight loss? Is that what you're saying?

lol

EDIT: Oh, I see. You are a troll account. Kewl.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

String cheese is great because it has no carbs and no sugar. The notion that fat makes you fat is archaic. For example, avocados, which have lots of fat, are universally praised by most in the know.

So cheese (or an avocado) is much better than having a sugary yogurt, wheat thins, bagels, or a candy bars for a snack.

In ten years, calories in, calories out will still be used just like leaches are still used by the medical community today.

They use leaches all the time when reattaching severed body parts like fingers. They also use maggots to remove necrotic tissue from wounds. Isn't science grand?