Anything I can do about this woman?

Options

Replies

• SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Run against traffic. It's safer, you can see the cars coming towards you and it will solve your *kitten* problem.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Air horn.

It will scare the bejeezus out of her.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Run against traffic. It's safer, you can see the cars coming towards you and it will solve your *kitten* problem.

I was going to say this too, maybe try the other side of the road. But I like the big ugly stick idea too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This may seem a little OT but what are you wearing while you're running? I don't want to defend some ignorant aggressive driver but.....how visible are you? (I'm a little paranoid about being seen, if I'm running along the roadside in poor visibility / low light I have an LED headlamp on flash mode and reflective gear)

I'd also second the other suggestion of reporting this person to the police.

It sounds like the OP is already doing this (my inner Sherlock Holmes figured his out based on the "dog to the left of me".....)
  • aguycalledsteve
    Options
  • bethkallastrask
    bethkallastrask Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like the airhorn option!
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    A go-pro would be ideal for these circumstances.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion you didn't list. Take your phone/camera and film her when she comes around. People will behave better when they know it can be used as evidence. If she still acts like a lunatic, keep getting her on film for a bit and then turn in your evidence to the police.
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a BRIGHT blinky light to wear or carry. Seriously. In my experience, people steer farther away from a runner or cyclist with a blinky light than they do without. Next, take down her license number and report her. You shouldn't have to adjust your schedule to avoid the semi-awake morning driver.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Fling fresh dog turd on her windshield as she's driving by.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Are you running with visible (neon) clothing? If so, she definitely sees you.

If this happens every time you go for a jog, bring a camera and record her driving aggressively and bring the video to the police. If necessary, do it every day for a week to prove your point. You may want to check your local laws to see how much space a driver must give to pedestrians and cyclists. She may stop and ask you why you are doing that and tell her your reason. Maybe that will make her think twice...

I wouldn't throw nails on the road or bring a stick to damage her car because you may be held liable for any damage and you yourself could be charged criminally. Not worth it in my opinion. I think taking a picture or recording and getting her license plate is the best thing you can do. Be adamant with the police officers and tell them you feel threatened. Cyclists and pedestrians are allowed to use roads, too. You pay your taxes!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Wear a high viz top with something written on it that she can't miss. Maybe the c word
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would probably flash a bright flashlight at her, since you are running against traffic, right? We don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood and I carry a flashlight or use a headlamp when I take out the dogs for a run. If someone doesn't move over, I start flashing my light at them. If you are going to be a jerk, prepare to suffer the consequences and be blinded.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here. I would make sure I am very visible, blinky light etc, run on the other side of the road against traffic (much safer!) and snap a pic of her license plate as she passes.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options

she IS running against traffic! she is watching this idiot, looking her in the face not the back of her head as she goes by.

and to others, I don't think it's the speed of the car that's the problem but this woman is inching closer and closer to the white line, almost like she's trying to frighten the OP.

OP, I would report her for unsafe, threatening driving.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    As she goes by next time, fall to the ground (out of the way of the car obviously) just as she is passing you. If she stops, you can tell her you fell trying to get out of her way, then she may move. If she keeps driving (and I think she will) start your run early from then on so that you are done before she goes by, so that she will always wonder what happened when you fell as she drove by.
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Start running with a big pointy stick so if so if she gets too close she will get a big old scratch down the side of the car - kind of like they used to do on Roman chariots

BRILLIANT!!
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    well, there is what i would actually like to do (stinger in the road, kick car as it passes, shoot out tyres?) and then there is what I would actually do, which is take down the number plate and report her to the police for unsafe driving!

yep to above... that is what I was thinking too... heck snag a phone photo too, it's worth taking a stop to do it... the law is very clear about moving over when traffic allows for people and bikes and all that... let the law take over and you are allowed to ticket her lol many don't know that but you can. she is VERY unsafe and not just for you but anyone out there.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If I read correctly, you say your husband jogs the same route on opposite days. Has he had problems with this woman too?