Do your pets share your bed?

Options

Replies

• LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Our Great Dane and Dachsund both sleep in our room. Max (Great Dane) used to sleep in our bed; but now, he's just too big. Pickles likes to bury underneath the covers to our feet..and that is just fine with us :-)

I figure if you don't like my pets...don't come to my home.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My German Shepherd sleeps on her own bed, and my 20 lb cat will try to sleep on my head, so he gets kicked out to find somewhere else to sleep
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have to shut my cats out, but only because they keep me awake by wandering about and pawing my face when they decide it's time for breakfast at 4 am.

I feel your pain.

I have two cats, and one of them does exactly this. I would love to simply shut them out of the bedroom but if I attempt to do that, the other one scratches at the door incessantly. I can't win.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    We take our dog to the groomers once every other month, and in between he gets wipe downs and a bath as needed. With the exception of his breath (is someone ever going to invent binaca for dogs?!), he usually smells fine. About the only time our dog has been too smelly for the bed was about a month ago when he decided that pretty black and white thing scurring around his backyard shortly after dusk needed to be put in its place. I went through a whole bottle of skunk shampoo trying to get that smell out. When I was done, some of the skunk smell was gone, but mostly he just smelled like a skunky wet dog. The next day may Dad took him to play at the dog park, and all of the other dogs sniffed him to death, and couple of them even tried to pee on his head!
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to let my Chihuahua mix sleep in bed with me, but he would stay so wired that it took him a good 2 hours to relax and finally fall asleep. Now he's back to sleeping in his crate.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Not a chance. My bedroom is off limits completely. I don't want dander in there because of allergies and who knows what the animals get into during the day. My cousin's dogs get ticks on a weekly basis despite flea and tick prevention. The thought of a dog rolling in its own poop in the backyard and then curling up in my bedsheets is gross to me. Not to mention. . . when you decide to be "intimate" with your partner. . . what do you do with the pet? Shove him off the bed? Kick him out and close the door? That would interrupt the moment.

I have never seen my dog roll in its own poop - this isn't something that healthy dogs or cats do.

It has nothing to do with health. Some dogs roll in stinky things. Some dogs do not.

Maybe I'm just fortunate I've never had a pet who has done this then

My first dog would get this glazed over look in her eyes, almost like she was high, then she'd start rolling around in the grass. There was always a dead mole or a mouse where this was happening. Blech. The worst was the dead fox. I went to scratch her on her chest and got a handful of nastiness. So yeah, you're fortunate!

Ugh, my dog normally dislikes being dirty or wet, but will roll around in wild animal poop or dead animal remains if given the chance. It's so gross, and she's so happy about it too! But the happiness changes to horror when I stick her in the bath..haha.

LOL! My dog does this also. And everytime I bathe her afterwards I say "Now see...this is what you get! Maybe next time you won't roll in *kitten*!"
    It never works.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If I collar a woman before she sleeps in my bed is she considered a pet?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have to shut my cats out, but only because they keep me awake by wandering about and pawing my face when they decide it's time for breakfast at 4 am.

I feel your pain.

I have two cats, and one of them does exactly this. I would love to simply shut them out of the bedroom but if I attempt to do that, the other one scratches at the door incessantly. I can't win.

Just shut the damned cats in the garage overnight. It's your house, not theirs.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options

I feel your pain.

Just shut the damned cats in the garage overnight. It's your house, not theirs.

I hate cats, they serve no purpose, extinction would be a good cure. Oh and no my bed is for me.
  • lollyhackett
    lollyhackett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't normally allow my dogs upstairs - but on the rare occasion my little terrier snitch comes for a cuddle in bed. It's nice...but just on the rare occasion!
  • Shelalala
    Options
    Yes, every night and he rests his head on the pillow next to mine. I'm pretty sure he thinks he is human.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My kitty sleeps in my bed, of course! My dog sleeps in his dog bed solely because he's a giant. But my cat is like attached to my ankles at all times.

I love kitties :3
    :love:
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    Hell. No.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Cats sleep on the bed, dog sleeps on the floor but jumps on the bed for morning snuggles...
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My dog sleeps in the bed which is something I regret. I get tired of getting a poor nights rest when I have to wake up early for work because a $#@E dog hogs the space and lays all over my legs. Also, I get really tired of all the fur everywhere, he's a Shetland sheepdog. Even when I wash the comforter it's furry a couple days later -_- Even if I shove him off, he hops back up a few seconds later. He won't take no for an answer. I guess it's my fault for allowing that in the first place. But I've learned my lesson, my next dog there will be a strict no dogs on bed or couch policy!
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    Not anymore. Too many times of being woken up all through the night. Not that it matters right now....speaking of insomnia....
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    My dog sleeps in the bed which is something I regret. I get tired of getting a poor nights rest when I have to wake up early for work because a $#@E dog hogs the space and lays all over my legs. Also, I get really tired of all the fur everywhere, he's a Shetland sheepdog. Even when I wash the comforter it's furry a couple days later -_- Even if I shove him off, he hops back up a few seconds later. He won't take no for an answer. I guess it's my fault for allowing that in the first place. But I've learned my lesson, my next dog there will be a strict no dogs on bed or couch policy!

Is your dog food or toy driven? I taught mine, with food treats, that he is only allowed on the bed when I give him the ok command. It took about a week of training, but it stuck. No way I could get a good night sleep with a kicky dog in the bed! I'll sometimes take short little naps with him during the day, but not at night. Now, when it's time to sleep, I point to the ground and say "bed" and he jumps down, hops in his bed on the floor, which is positioned where he can see me, and stays there. My dog is so food driven that it's been a snap training him to do a bunch of stuff. He came to us knowing how to sit and to shake hands, and now knows bed, down, roll over, stay, heal, chase the ball and bring the ball back to us (that was a tough one!).

imagejpg1_zps76e80045.jpg
  • Coltsforlife
    Options
    nope because they live in water
  • diespel
    diespel Posts: 700
    Options
    True Story: During the Ice Storm of 1998, I lost power for a week but was determined to sleep at the house, just me and my 5yr old Golden Lab who had been trained as a pup not to jump on the bed.
    Well, around day 6, the nights were getting colder and with no other blankets available turned to Sam and called him to me. Wagging his tail, he came to the edge of the bed and despite my best efforts to get him up on the bed, he looked at me as if to say "this is a trick right?" Well thanks to great training I froze my *kitten* off the last two nights.
    Flash forward 4 years and I would come home to routinely find his hair and outline of his body on my bed!....somethings just take time to learn I guess