50 Shades - Great, or the Greatest?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The popularity of these books is an embarrassment to anyone who writes, anyone who reads, and women in general. Anyone who bought them should plant a tree in apology to the trees that died in order to make the paper for all those books.

Some peoples failure to understand the genre doesn't subtract from it. Just like Legos are simple forms, they can be used to construct stories and great edifices.

Uhm... what? Personally I like BDSM erotica, I like erotica in general. I just prefer books that don't have me wanting to rewrite them in the first 20 pages of the first book.

Fan fiction / found gothic isn't about having perfect English or floral constructs. Like I said, general failure of understanding that "primitive" writing is about issues in language construct.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I found the books horribly written and stupid, as well as promoting an abusive relationship.

I have no intention of seeing the film.

THIS ^^^ All day long. I found it unreadable, and I'm not at ALL interested in the S/M master/slave domination thing. That, I find revolting and an enormous turn off.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Why read about it when you can be doing it:wink:

oprah-right.gif?w=1024&h=600
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My inner goddess just strangled my inner housewife.

In accordance with the hierarchy in this thread.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Appalled at the closed-mindedness. It's like 1692 in here.

Think so? I happen to write erotica and have had some things published. Difference is I write GOOD erotica.

How, precisely, do you measure "good erotica"? Whether is sold? Whether it got good reviews? Bad reviews? She's sold MILLIONS of copies and is now making it into a movie. A good major have loved the books. She also doesn't go around bashing other people's writings..........

Depending on your definition of "good"... I'd say she writes better erotica than you. :glasses:
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Think so? I happen to write erotica and have had some things published. Difference is I write GOOD erotica.

How, precisely, do you measure "good erotica"? Whether is sold? Whether it got good reviews? Bad reviews? She's sold MILLIONS of copies and is now making it into a movie. A good major have loved the books. She also doesn't go around bashing other people's writings..........

Depending on your definition of "good"... I'd say she writes better erotica than you. :glasses:

Based on your logic, Bieber is a better musician than Mozart. Hint - he's not.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My inner goddess just strangled my inner housewife.

In accordance with the hierarchy in this thread.
    I think that's from Penthouse, not 50 shades. :wink:
  • 949BeachMom
    Options
    There are so many erotica books out there . If I wanted to read a book or watch a movie to turn me on id go online not follow the sheep n waste my money on 50 shades of crap already written before
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Actually, he probably is.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...simple minded people...so many reads out there so contextually better...for the simple and boring masses...stop being sheep people...

Smells like...

...under-employed college grad.

@#$## sex. The way some y'all are getting worked up about it, I'm wondering if it's been too long since you've actually had any! :smokin:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Metallica ain't bad and neither are the Beatles.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Why read about it when you can be doing it:wink:

oprah-right.gif?w=1024&h=600

I absolutely agree. Now come here and take your spanking.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Bad reviews? She's sold MILLIONS of copies and is now making it into a movie.

That just proves the masses are stupid. *shrug*
  • likitisplit
    Options

I used to think that about Michael Jackson and Prince. Sad me. The masses are less stupid than they seem. Name a great artist who wasn't celebrated in their own time.

(Of course, I can name some mere hacks who were popular in their own time and never heard of now - I think 50 Shades is one of these. I rate it right about at the "Undomestic Goddess" level. Airplane lit, you know.

Of course there are some priceless ones few have ever heard about either. And I've never been able to tell where "Three Penny Opera" falls on this scale.)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

My definition of "good" is that people can read it without flinching in pain. Her story is completely ripped off from Twilight, at least mine is original. My heroine is not a college graduate who has never used a computer and uses British slang terms even though she's American. And while I do dabble in BDSM, I don't create a hero who stalks the heroine and makes her sign a contract to endure pain. FSOG only sold well because it was fan fic. Not because it was good.
  • rml_16
    Options

I used to think that about Michael Jackson and Prince. Sad me. The masses are less stupid than they seem. Name a great artist who wasn't celebrated in their own time.

(Of course, I can name some mere hacks who were popular in their own time and never heard of now - I think 50 Shades is one of these. I rate it right about at the "Undomestic Goddess" level. Airplane lit, you know.

Of course there are some priceless ones few have ever heard about either. And I've never been able to tell where "Three Penny Opera" falls on this scale.)
    LMAO

Seriously? You're trolling, right? If EL James is a "great artist" in her art of choice, then so was my 3-year-old daughter a great artist with her stick figures and drawing suns in the corner of the paper.
  • likitisplit
    Options

LMAO

Seriously? You're trolling, right? If EL James is a "great artist" in her art of choice, then so was my 3-year-old daughter a great artist with her stick figures and drawing suns in the corner of the paper.

If your three-year-old can convince 100 million people to buy her work, then she's a great artist.

I kind of feel the same way about Madonna.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    If your three-year-old can convince 100 million people to buy her work, then she's a great artist.

The difference is between madonna and a three year old, though, is that in thirty years the three year old will have matured a little.
  • rml_16
    Options

LMAO

No, that doesn't make her a great artist. That simply proves, as I stated, that people are stupid and unoriginal.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I just want to invite the OP to my red room of pain.