WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Oh, before I forget, the zoo in Roanoke had tons of different hostas and more varieties of coleus than I've ever seen, most which I never saw before.......... gorgeous huge coleus plantings which they used very beautifully!!!

I guess I've caught up a bit on reading........we ARE prolific!!!!!!

I need to clarify; I'm not at all against legal immigration.......may have left a wrong impression there. Over the years I've had very good friends from all over: India, Phillipines, New Zealand, Germany and Puerto Rico............and have known people from many other countries. The only pediatric dentist my DD has ever been to is from Kenya and he still sees her as an adult as she was one of his first patients when he came here.

Alison...........Deciding if I want to try to get a group together to go see Miranda Lambert when she comes here too.

Lesley.........YAY for your signs of Spring!!!!

Mimi.........On eating like your grandmother
    our family, many, many years ago, had a butcher shop at one time, and, as I understand it, my grandmother looked down on hamburger to the point that she referred to it as "eating cork".

Anne.........I totally sympathize with your dog issues. I've had dogs and loved them; but they never ran loose. Once, when my DD was about 7, we were cornered by a medium size vicious-appearing dog..........off our bikes, all I could tell her was to keep the bike between her and the dog and do the same myself. Finally, a man came out of a nearby home with a length of pipe and chased it off............at that point I'd have paid good money for pepper spray!!!! So, I won't be telling you not to use it!!!

Sylvia..........Yay for your loss!!!

Liz................So sorry you have lost contact with your DGS. Has this happened before? (((Hugs)))

Heather...........Very much enjoyed Best Marigold Hotel...........if the book is different, I must read it along with your other picks!!! BTW............The Glint of Silver arrived while we were gone.

I had two showers before I married; both were surprises.........one by friends and the other by people I worked with. I had no baby shower, had quit my job to go to Pa. to help my mom with my dad, he had died and I came back here and got pg. almost immediately (at 39, didn't go back to work)..........didn't really know any neighbors. My thinking is that all a baby really needs is a stable loving environment, shelter, any necessary medical care, and food (mom). The baby doesn't know and couldn't care less if its in a $800.00 crib. I was appalled by the costs of everything. It's a big busines that delights in telling moms they are not meeting the needs of their children if they don't have this or that........well, I call bull$h1* on that. Don't get me wrong, there were gifts sent but everything I bought was either garage sale, consignment store or thrift. I knew she was a girl and at birth I was ready up to 24months on clothes and they were all gorgeous.......babies outgrow stuff w/o any wear and it's easy to find all that's needed and then some.

Meg............On the etiquette rules............I think every family has its own unique ideology and we are each imprinted by our parents. Unlike you, I certainly didn't need any of it in my life growing up; we were poor to the point of having an outhouse until I was in jr. high. But my mom yearned for a better life and had 2 rules: 1)you will learn etiquette and 2)you will not be dirty.............and I thank her daily now; only one other girl from our block at that time broke the local cycle and got out...........and she also did it by becoming an RN. .........And you are not allowed to fall on a spear, either!!!! As far as your DD and your very valid concerns; as a nurse, you know the drill: document, document, document!!!!

Carol............Hope your DS's college move went well............

Think I'm caught up.............for the moment!

Stay strong!!
    yanniejannie
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Mimi - the 23 and Me genetic testing sounds interesting… you are a melting pot!!! Did you know about any of the different ancestry? 3% Neanderthal how interesting!!! :smile:

I am a people watcher too! Love eavesdropping on conversations too…

Kittytoo- what a drag the mall is so far away!!!:grumble:

Anne and Kitty – I wonder if you could do tomatoes as a winter crop?

Geri – glad to see you, funny that the boys don’t think the rules apply to them too.

Cynthia –crabapple jelly yes! A grandma thing

my turn to ramble:

So after I finished my big work project I decided to do something I wanted around the house... so that was the front yard - with the drought I decided to let the lawn die - it is not a place I "use" or enjoy lawn and it was in bad shape so this was the push I needed to do something else. However I really like green and lush, so have been doing my research... For those of you not used to California Weather, we have no rain from May till October... period. So all summer we irrigate; and in the "normal" years with plenty of winter rain that is fine, there is plenty of water stored in underground and reservoirs -- but now we are in a multi year drought and we have very little in storage. I decided to put in some paths a sitting area under a tree, some river rock around a tree and then a native grass meadow - there is a local landscape designer John Greenlee, I have met him at a party and we hit it off (don't go there, I liked his wife too) so I picked his brain, and will be doing it myself. So at noon today I went off to the nursery and bought mulch 30 cubic feet and topsoil 15 cubic feet.. the car was loaded down!!:noway: :laugh: .. came home and weed wacked the dead grass to the ground, raked it - got a neighbor who loves to rototill to till it for me, rock hard so he just got 1-2 inches but that was enough to get more dead grass and weeds out, raked again.. then laid out the paths I am just putting in flag stone, I scrounged some from a project a neighbor did years ago so it was stacked on the side of the house. I got all the flag stone moved and set where I wanted it.
    Then laid out cardboard (as much as I had) and put mulch mixed with topsoil on it. I have bags more to do, but I have made a huge dent in the project... I took pictures I'll figure out how to post them. I will wait to plant until after our first fall rain; but this will look so much better than dead grass between now and then.

I sure thought of you Michele as I was dragging around the flagstone. And knew that there was no pool calling me, but there was a shower that felt so good!!!

August goals :
    Stretch 5 minutes a day xxxx
    Walk 45 minutes a day 15 times
    Do Heather’s abc balance 1 time a week 3 weeks done

Kim from N. California
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Greetings from the house of salads. I have eaten so many salads in the last days that I am turning green.

Sundays I ride a different route. It is not a bike path, but a wide street with a bike lane leading up a mountain. On Sunday there is not much traffic, so it is enjoyable to ride. It is about a 10 miles climb and very popular with the pros. So I am constantly overtaken by groups of young men, who
    are all much stronger and faster than I am. Very seldom there is a female rider and in the meantime I am convinced that I must be the oldest female road cyclist in this part.

Because there are traffic lights I catch up sometimes with the groups at the light and we exchange pleasantries. Today I realized that I was the only one who is not completely depilated . These boys are shaved or waxed from head to toe. I never remove hair from my arms and as my body hair tends to be blonde I do not care too much if my legs have a little bit of hair on it. Well, somehow in the company of these men I felt hairy!

Maybe if I start removing all my body hair I will get faster too?

Heather

There are millions of us living in the desert. Part of Los Angeles, all of Las Vegas, Phoenix and Tuscon are in the Mojave or Sonoran desert. It became very popular a few decades ago and now you have cities with millions of inhabitants sitting in the middle of former nowhere blasting their A/Cs day and night.

I lived in LA first and after my divorce I moved to Nevada because it was cheaper and as I was working in tourism at the time, it did not really matter where I lived because I was always on the road. As you know Europeans from colder countries love warm weather, and I did not mind the heat so much. But at my age now and being most of the time at home, it is more difficult to deal with these extreme temperatures. In LA you could at least escape to the beach. Here we have Lake Mead, but there is no relief from the heat there.

I wanted to move but then came the housing crisis and house values plummeted and it became virtually impossible to sell your house without losing a lot of money.

And I have to agree with you. I had beautiful weather when I lived in England.

Barbie

I have resisted a smart phone so far. I spend all my play money on my bike and my art and do most of my communication on the laptop.

Every time I see where you are from, it reminds me that I still have to visit the Olympic National Park. It is one of the few national parks I have not visited yet. It was never included in our tours.

Sylvia

I had to grin about the grandfather/father. We women cannot have children at that age anymore, somehow nature thinks men can.

Liz from Halifax

I agree with you that the sixties are not so golden. Somehow we seem to disappear into the wallpaper the older we get and society cares only about the young.

Joyce

I only spend one summer in Indiana but I thought it was very hot and humid, I am surprised that you say it is so cold.

Michele

I dig out my roots My yard is not so big and I need the space.

Kim

You sound like my kind of girl. My neighbors are always astonished to see me doing all the heavy yard work myself. But I love it and over the years I have moved huge boulders, built walls and dug a big hole for a pond.

Yes, water is going to be a huge problem in our future.

Anne with too much hair
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just finished a scrumptious dinner. It’s nice once in (great) while to have a lot of calories to use up at the end of the day. :happy:

Yanniejannie, your trip, except for the cold, sounds delightful. How nice to get to spend time with your DD. You sound like a wise mom, picking your “no’s” (and battles) as my sister enjoys saying. :laugh:

Huh, your grannie never would have believed “cork” would cost $7 or so per pound!:noway:

Michele, I’m amazed at how sweet a simple piece of fruit tastes when you don’t add sugar to things. Part of my dinner tonight was orange/yellow cherry tomatoes fresh from the garden. They were so sweet, I almost swooned.

Kim, your garden sounds peaceful and beautiful – a great place (in the making) to be. I don’t know how you do all the work, especially with the weather being so warm. :flowerforyou:

G’night for now. I’m heading for Walnut Creek in the morning since, as usual, I had to do “this” and “that” before leaving. :laugh: Next thing I new, it was getting dark. I’ll be up tomorrow with the early birds as I have a 9:30 appt and it’s a 2 hr drive (at least, that’s not counting commute traffic).

Mimi
    :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Anne, it is not cold here right now at all. It's just that I was cold, more like freezing. I get that way sometimes. I am on a thryroid replacement

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Sylvia: hope you’re feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Meg: you too! :flowerforyou: Interested in your cd holder; do you have a photo? I have the same iPad question; I don’t even wear earbuds in the gym like so many people do. I’ve always had indoor cats too; always lived where it wouldn’t be wise to let a cat roam. They have always had access to a screened-in porch and I never noticed them acting like they were upset that they couldn’t go out.

Kim: I already had double pane windows, although a couple are not sealed anymore and are kind of “misty”. But we are having some problems with drafts in the winter. Congrats on getting your huge order done!! :drinker:

Mimi: not doing genetic testing, although I see why it might be interesting. I’m a privacy person….

Today is the first work day after a few weeks off, and it is the beginning of a period of several months which will include the replacing of the windows, laying of laminate flooring in the (small) kitchen, and rearranging about half the house (and painting and carpeting) so my guy can move in. Also, I will have to make some kind of decision about my job, plus there's the possibility of the knee replacement. So I am counting on my friends here to help me through! :frown:

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies~
    well up at 2:30 am and cut out coupons, had my warm lemon water and having a cup of tea. I will attempt to go to the gym in a bit, and use something other than the treadmill for cardio.. it is quite cool here this morning.. more like fall which is my favorite season anyway...
    my insomnia has me awake at night.. so i start thinking, my DH says he is going to give me a tranqulizer ,because when I think it cost money:laugh:
    I have always tried to plan ahead.. So I am looking around the house to see what we need to get rid of before we move.. which could be 4 yrs from now but ,I still look around.. we have to rip up carpet in living room and down the hall and resand the hardwood floors,repair some wood that got water stained..
    reface the cabinets,get a new gas stove,wall oven and microwave and dishwasher to match the SS fridge, redo the linolium floor, either replace or fix the pellet stove in the family room and do some flooring in there,,
    also update the master bath..
    I think the plan of action is , when the DH goes to Florida in October he will be driving out Chevy cruze back up here.. we will probably sell the Traverse which is only a couple of years old and use that money to do some of the improvements,,
    we dont really need 3 cars, and we dont need the SUV really because we have gotten rid of most of our tree's that we had to haul junk to the dump...
    when I go down to Florida in December, I am going to inventory what room we have and I do want to take a few of my cherished antiques down when we do go, other than that we might either have an estate sale or have an auction company come in and take the rest..
    you dont know how much junk you have until you get ready to move... heck when I shop now,unless it is something we need, I am not bringing anymore junk in...
    Anne~ what did you do for tourism?
    when the DH retires he wants to travel out west, Grand Canyon,Vegas, Tetons,Yellowstone,Seqouia ,,, I have gotten to see a few of these things as a teen,but would love to see them again
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Woke to heavy frost but sunshine. Was going to do training but a friend in UK asked me do do more searches on Ancestry for the Astley/Chettham family, so did. Decided to do cleaning and ironing instead.
    Stan went fly-fishing and found another lake nearby, yeah him

Lesley: I’m still working on understanding bore. Is this is a drilled well that goes into an underground water supply?flowerforyou This is correct, the bore is drilled down to underground fresh water, saves on the rain water tank

Lesley in Tasmania
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Quick post today as my friend will be arriving.:love:

Katla - my recipe isn't too far from Kim's, though I tie up a muslin bag with a cinnamon stick, peppercorns, star anise and cloves. I use a wonderful book for lots of things called Gifts From The Kitchen, which I bought from Amazon. Great photos of yummy things!:bigsmile: One year I made biscotti for my DSIL'S Christmas present and presented them with vin santo.

Katy - I have been deleting apps if I can and putting some on internal storage, but my internal storage will need expanding soon. I can buy more of that. I didn't know that stopping the updates would help. Thanks for that! :flowerforyou:

Those of you with indoor cats - my friend who is coming today has a wonderful indoor play tree from Amazon with rave reviews and she has trained her cat to go to the toilet in the lavatory.:noway: :laugh: Google it.:tongue:

Anne - has your area gone down in value more than others or is it in general. If it is general then you could buy somewhere equally inexpensive. I suspect though, like in Britain, the popular and desirable areas hold their value while the others drop.:huh:

Well, must get on.
    Love Heather in cooler Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    Options
    never made it to the gym,but going to go for a walk.. wont race walk though no banging on the heel... was waiting for it to get light out... dont go into work until 12:30 , so will stop out at DSIL and pick up mail, check in with my DFIL and speak with them about what to do next..
    they more I look into it, the harder I think it will be trying to find a specialized care unit for him, he is on state now, and if you are on state not to many places take you,, there is Masonicare which is about 40 minutes from us.. I am now putting this stress on myself, because if he becomes any more violent they will kick him out, send him to the ER, and then they basically throw you to the wolves.. so I am dillagently looking, I just cant get onto the darn government medicare site.. GRRRRR this computer is going to drive me crazy..
    hubby was cranking last night about buying a new modem and probably a new router.. he is tight when it comes to certain things and I dont blame him,we have AT&T for internet service, cheapest ,but connection not great.. he has cut out all the bells and whistles so we only use the phone for incoming calls, and I dont think we even have repair service.. so
    I as of right now cannot use WI FI.. plugged in ,I guess for now..
    hoping Rita is feeling better, she has a fever and has had it a few days... feel better my friend and thanks for all the help.
    well off for a walk, wish me and my heel well:laugh:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn,all.Have caught up,but it runs right out again:ohwell: Expecting hot weather here thru Friday. Can't wait till Fall. Love it,along with Spring. The other two... un named..... I can do without:laugh:

DH has a lot of family history thanks to an Aunt who researched it. Mine is spotty at best. Dad's family was from Ireland & England.
    My maternal Great Grma was from Pennsylvania Dutch.Have no info on either Grpa ,never met a relative of either one.

Liz,feel better soon.Keep posting & just that will sometimes help. We are willing to listen.You take care.

Someone mentioned not eating food with over 5 ingredients.One of my pet peeves is ingreds in a loaf of bread. Can anyone pronounce them? Who knows what they are,except a list of chemicals. So many,many foods list a chemical slate. ... & they wonder where lots of disease comes from?:cry::cry:

Meg,maybe DD will change the baby's name.....as she does her email name? Nitika sounds way better than some we hear,with ppl
    In entertainment business leading the way::grumble:

Alison,out Time Warner Wi Fi has never had a problem.Would hate to be without it,but I'm on iPad.Was so glad to sell my lap top!

YannieJannie......it really was a diff world back in the day. My Mom was home raising 4 kids.We knew to be polite,clean & honest,but not one of us remembered being told.It was just expected.No smart mouth allowed,cause who knew what Dad would do? He never layed a hand on us,leaving most to Mom,but he was her back up.
    One thing I thank my parents for is reading. Before TV was common,both parents were readers.Newspapers,books,magazines.Dad made payments on a set of encyclopedias when I started 1st grade.Parents read them,kids read them.After supper we were usually in the living room with a book in our hands. I Thank them again.......as it has always been a huge part of my life.All 4 of us were/are readers.Another memory.....we read the oatmeal box,bread wrappers,cereal boxes......whatever we could find.School was great! ...we took right to it.

There is a Spanish family next door.About once a month,they have a huge party that goes on till daylight,with cars parked every where.Thankfully,our bedroom is on the other side.:bigsmile: Their back yard will have beer & hard stuff bottles on every table. Takes them 1/2 a day,with their 3 kids helping to clean it up.

Food wise ,eating healthier goes on. Haven't been on scales for 3 mos.A couple of reasons. After a plateau that lasted months.....there was no way I was lowering calories & with DHs health probs,lots of Dr appts etc,the eating plan is what it is.
    Will work or it won't & yes,all is tracked.Needed to stay away from scales before I got a case of "what does it matter". Been there,done that too many times.Hoping cardiologist will take me off some meds at check up next mo.

Once I get started ,seems I jabber on.Have a happy day. Pat
  • grandmallie
    Options
    back from my walk, went almost 5 miles,11,000 steps,Laundry in the wash, floors swept and mopped, now going to hop in the shower and get ready for work, even though I dont go in for a few hours, want to go speak with them down at the convelecent home and see what our options are..
    I am trying to eat alot of fresh food.. If I am craving carbs, I have found that the eziekel 4.9 have no sugar and are made from sprouted grains, think I will invest in some of there english muffins next time I go shopping.. and there cereal...
    I made spinach for lunch and put a 1/2 tbls of real butter on it.. I dont care..
    I am having a couple of applegate farms nitrate free turkey hot dogs tonight.. I like thos every once in awhile.. and just love the patti labelle turkey burgers, moist and juicy and very flavorful..
    I am not weighing myself right now until I am finished with the prednisone and it is out of my system....
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Have finally caught up with the reading! Son and I are visiting friends in Nashville ... Brentwood actually. They're involved in the music industry and are showing son around .... A little bit of an educational trip for him to decide what facet of the music industry he might be interested in pursuing. Son (16) has a gift with the guitar .... Although country is not his preference... Much to my friend's dismay! Different lifestyle here than we're used to ...

Mostly doing well with food choices but really blew it yesterday at a barbecue joint! Oh well.

Busy day planned so I'll touch base again when we get back home.

Have a great day!
    Beth
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! The sun is shining and the birds are singing! I'm feeling a lot better this morning, so I went to my son's apartment and the three kids and I WALKED to school. It was really fun. I saw an Upworthy video about a whole town (Lakewood, near Cleveland) that didn't even have a school bus system. Everybody walked their kids to school. And they sounded really happy about it. There were lots of benefits for the kids. So today, as an experiment, I walked with the kids to school. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more - them or me. It took 12.8 minutes to get there. Heck, it takes longer than that to load them all in the car! It's going to be 100 degrees today though, so we won't walk home, but on nicer days I think we will. The middle granddaughter was talking about how nice it was to see everything because you go so much slower walking than you do in the car. Everything whizzes by so fast in the car.

http://www.upworthy.com/yes-this-town-is-real-yes-its-totally-adorable-and-yes-what-it-did-is-making-kids-happier

I think tomorrow I am going to take a trash bag though, and we can pick up trash along the way. It was awful how much litter was out there.

Yesterday I came to the studio because a young lady asked me to meet her here at 3:00. She had a bunch of stuff she wanted me to fire in my kiln. I was sick and didn't really feel like it but had no way to contact her because I don't "text". She said she was going to be at work and couldn't take any calls but she would check for texts. Well, of course, she didn't show up. This morning she e-mailed me and said she got off early and fell asleep. Gee, that makes me feel so much better. I won't go out of my way again.

The studio is hotter inside this morning (84) than it is outside (69). The windows don't open, so I can't get any fresh air inside. I turned on the A/C but it will take a while to cool it down. But when it's really hot this afternoon I know the A/C can't keep up, so I'll go home after noon if not before.

My weight was down another half pound this morning, but I think that was from being sick for a couple of days, so I won't count it till I see if it is going to stick. Probably I was just dehydrated.

Meg, I feel like we have a lot in common. I also had a violent first marriage and married my current hubby when he was 45 and he also had never been married before. But unlike yours, mine was delighted to let me take complete control of the household. In fact, more than two years before we got married I came to town to visit him one day when he was sick with the flu. I did his laundry for him that day and he has never EVER done another load of laundry for himself to this day. He swears he doesn't know how the machine works. (he says "where do you put the quarters?") Same with the stove and dishwasher. But he does so many other wonderful things that it balances out, I think. He gets rid of mice, and snakes and spiders. He gets things off high shelves. He takes care of the finances. And he's wonderful to dogs and grandchildren. And to me.

Kitty, I'm going to try your recipe for Tomato Jam. But I'll try it with cherry tomatoes, since I have so many. Not sure I want to peel them though. Growing up we used to put sugar on sliced tomatoes and it was a real treat. So tomato jam sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks.

Well, I will go see how cool it is in the studio now. I hope you all have a great day.

Sylvia
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good Morning,

Have been here skimming posts over that last few days but decided to take last week "off" of logging food, exercise, etc. since I finished my 6 weeks on The Biggest Loser plan the prior week. I decided I would start over today and follow the format again to see if I can continue losing.

I was mindful of what I was eating last week but did eat a few things I knew I wouldn't be for the next 6 weeks again. I was quite low on workout time last week, but that was not intentional, just a fail on my part.

The good news is that I stayed at the same weight, just as I hoped would happen.

Aaron left with Grandpa camping for the week and I have some MUCH!!!! needed alone time to get some things caught up around here and settle the voices in my head:glasses:

I'm also starting at PT "outside the house" job tomorrow that I'm both excited and a little nervous about. I actually interviewed for it over a year ago and was in the final 2 or 3. They chose someone else and it worked out because my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer shortly after and I was able to be here for her.

Turns out the gal they did hire is having non stop medical issues so they are keeping her on a couple of days and bringing me for 3 days of 5 hour shifts. Just perfect for me since I can still run my home biz, raise my son, etc. It's a nice low stress (at least compared to my previous "career" positions before Aaron) office job in a commercial real estate office. I have knowledge and experience in both areas so I'm good with being able to do the work but it's been a good long while since I've had to "play nice" with others face to face :smile: :laugh:

I think, most of all, it will be nice to get out of the house and change things up after all that's happened over the past year.

Don't want my post to get too long so I'll check back later this evening.

Have a happy, fun and successful day!

xo- Gloria in partly cloudy Metro Detroit
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Kinda humid outside.
    Walked Violet to school.Time for some cleaning.
    hugs
    jane
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Oh, one more thing on the baby showers. In our area "Mom 2 Mom" sales are HUGE. Schools, churches, etc. use them as fundraisers by selling table space to moms who have stuff to sell and charging admission to the buyers (usually $1-$2). Many are 100+ tables set up in gyms, hallways, etc.

I can't tell you how many things I bought for Aaron over the years for a fraction of the price of new. Activity saucer for $10 and sold it for the same when he was done. Most of the baby clothes are brand new and only $1 each, some less. Everything you can imagine for babies, young children.....

I so miss that those days are done since it's hard to find anything for an 8 year old boy, as they wear through everything. The best part is the thrill of the hunt and looking at the pile of booty that $20 can get.:love:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kittytoo from Phoenix: What is the name of the yoga app you found? I’m interested since I’ll have to miss my class for a couple of weeks while I’m helping DD with DGD and the soon to be born baby.:flowerforyou:

Meg: I agree that the name Nikita reminds me of Kruschev and I suspected that was what bothered you about it. I remember the old SOB well enough.:grumble: Do you remember the news clip of him throwing a tantrum and pounding on the table with his shoe? Back then I wondered why he had a girl’s name. I still like the name for girls.:flowerforyou:

Kim: Thanks for the plum BBQ sauce recipe. It looks wonderful. Your embroidery task sounds enormous. Congratulations on getting everything done.:flowerforyou:

Mimi: Abode sounds like a decent name for your living quarters, and cottage might also work.:flowerforyou:

Alison: Your DH seems like a selfish man. He doesn’t deserve a generous spirited woman like you. I suppose we all have the capacity for selfishness. I know that I do. :embarassed: Good luck with your WIFI. Maybe you could simply use his computer for network stuff. That should help motivate him to see to it you have good access. Being hardwired is less flexible, but at least it works. I’ve never taken prednisone, but my dear friend has to take it and my mom took it for a long time. It has some unpleasant side effects, that is for sure. I hope you’ll be off of it soon. :flowerforyou:

Anne: A lot of people do realize that it is HOT in AZ during the summer. That is why they’re snowbirds instead of AZ resident’s full time. :wink: My cousin and his wife are in that group. They sold their house here and bought a condo here with access to a golf course for their summer enjoyment. I do think they’re here the majority of the time, but go to AZ in the dark months of winter. The increased sunshine helps reduce his wife’s MS symptoms. We also have summertime neighbors who winter in Yuma.:flowerforyou:

Geri: I hope your DH learns how to care for himself and finds ways to enjoy life, too. I switched from sugar in my coffee to stevia. It only takes a tiny bit of stevia to create a LOT of sweetness, so that was a learning process. I use a liquid form of it in a squeeze bottle.:flowerforyou:

Anne: The neighbor who helped me with my mother’s family tree told me that the female side is very hard to research because of the problem of surname changes for women due to marriages. She’s only done the male side of mom's family, and that was a lot of work. The female side is VERY difficult. I’m really grateful to her because I have more information than I ever did before. My living cousins didn’t have any before this. I’m sorry about your loud neighbors.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m sorry that there were so many vet school applications and that your DD has to try again next year. I think she’ll be very successful with her level of patience and commitment to her goal. Sorry you both ended up sick. DD has used resale stores to find nice clothes for her daughter and herself from time to time. I think it is a smart use of her money and energy. Kids grow out of things quickly and there are often VERY nice things available.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You are talking about a stationary bike, aren’t you? Using an ipad while pedaling indoors would not be a health hazard at all. Some people might have imagined you out on the roadways riding and using the ipad simultaneously. That would be a terrible idea.:tongue::flowerforyou:

Michele: I hope your stray kitty is claimed. I have serious doubts about your ability to take it to the Humane Society if it isn’t. :wink: Does your area have a no-kill animal shelter? Ours is unique in my experience. The county dog pound and the Humane Society occupy the same building. When county animals hit the “end date,” they’re transferred to the Humane Society, which operates a no kill shelter. We participate in fundraising efforts for the Humane Society on a regular basis. My neighbor has a dog that was taken from a kill shelter in LA and brought here to our Humane Society. He’s a wonderful little guy. We’ve met several other locals who have dogs rescued from LA.:flowerforyou:

Lesley: Thanks for the clarification on “bore.” :flowerforyou:

Heather: Thanks for your comments on Plum Sauce. Thanks to the wonders of modern electronics, I copied them and added them to the bottom of the recipe I got from Kim. Regarding real estate values, we bought our home 17 years ago and our next door neighbor bought theirs just a few years ago when prices were at their highest. They paid more than twice what we did. Then the real-estate market fell because of the banking scandal that brought our whole economy down. I know they still couldn’t get what they paid for theirs, but prices are rising. By the time their heirs fight over it and sell it years from now, I’m sure they’ll have regained all of the value. :flowerforyou:

Pat: Sometimes emotional survival takes precedence over everything else. I hope you’ve been able to maintain your losses and remain stable while you’ve gone through all of this stress.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Good for you and the grand kids walking to school together. :love: My mom used to walk me when I was in the first grade. It was lovely time together. We lived about a mile away from school, so she got in four miles a day. It did wonders for her figure, and I loved spending the time walking with her. :smile: Thanks for the link to the all walking school district. I followed it and found it very positive. It is a good example for urban planners to consider and emulate. Consider the possibility that walking may be part of your weight loss number. I wonder what you’ll discover after a few days of walking the kids. :flowerforyou: I also have loads of cherry tomatoes, but I doubt I’d like jam that included the skins. I’ve been dehydrating mine to use in soups and stews. I tried it for the first time last year and liked it so much that I’m doing it again.:flowerforyou:

Gloria: Congratulations on the new part time job. It sounds like it will be perfect for you.:flowerforyou:

DH was feeling good this morning, but worked outside in the garage and over-did a bit. He’s napping now. I hope it solves the problem. DD needs a new stroller for the baby and big sister, and picked out one that should work well. We volunteered to buy it for her, but don’t want to pay Colorado sales tax, since we wouldn’t have to pay it in Oregon. Amazon can help with that situation IF she has a baby registry with them. She’s going to set it up later today. Yay! :bigsmile:

I need to make one more comment about my daughter’s blind, diabetic dog. The blindness was one of the symptoms that led DD to take the dog to the vet. She thought he’d had a stroke and would probably have to be put down. He now has a whole new lease on life and has adjusted pretty well to being unable to see. The funny part is that he thinks that no one can see him and tries to sneak food from people’s plates that are right beside them. Getting caught repeatedly doesn’t seem to curtail his desire to sneak food.:laugh: :laugh:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's Joke of the Day:

:happy:

A man was checking into a hotel when he saw a golden retriever sitting on a rug near the hotel elevator. Talking to the man behind the desk, he asked, "Does your dog bite?" The attendant said, "No, he doesn't." But as the man let his hand down to pat the dog, it bit his hand and held on so tightly that the man had to throw him across the room.

Returning to the desk, the man said, "I thought you said that your dog didn't bite." He directed the attendant's attention to the dog, who now had returned to the rug. The attendant simply answered, "My friend that is NOT my dog."

:laugh:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

Yesterday we went to church then brunch. I didn't have time to work out as I needed to buy a gift for a friends baby shower afterwards. Today I did yoga, upper body strength training and then treadmill. I got extra calories burned today doing some housework. Add in a few hot flashes and my heart rate monitor registered a great burn.

Joyce, I like to read when I'm on the treadmill, it does help pass the time.

Michele, I hope the kitty is claimed soon!

Alison, good luck with the wifi issue.

Sylvia, you are the best Grandma!

Barbie, I weigh every day and Hubby checks his weight a couple of times a day.

Kim, congrats on your business doing so well!

I've skimmed the posts but am out of time. Best wishes for a wonderful day everyone!

Cindy in OK