1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child.
    ... 1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really)
    1200 is the minimum someone should be eating unless they're under the supervision of a doctor (or are very short).
    1200 is the minimum someone? Isn't this what I JUST got yelled at for because a statement like that ignores a persons height, weight, gender, age. 1200 IS NOT a universal number.
    That's the medically-established minimum, yes.
    Will you believe Harvard Medical School? (I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about.)

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HB_web/calorie-counting-made-easy.htm
    calorie intake should not fall below 1,200 a day in women or 1,500 a day in men, except under the supervision of a health professional

Maybe you'll learn about this once you start classes.

I did already. it is a load of crap. it landed me in the HOSPITAL. What the heck. Doctors suggest these BS diets all the time doesn't mean they are right.
  • veg56kg
    Options
    Honestly, I do between 1200-1300 a day, and I feel great. I am 6'4 and was at 360lbs. Now, I am down to 270 by maintaining that 6 days a week. It works for me.

That is really sad. Your BMR is 2279.

yet I have lost a lot of weight and feel great. Also, this was under my doctors recommendation. So, how is that sad?

Trust your doctor I guess. If I was you I would get a new doctor. You are under eating severely.
  • veg56kg
    Options
    What gets me about the "1200 is dangerous" mentality is why people don't see that if it truly was, MFP would be open to all kinds of litigation for using it as their floor.

I truly believe it's not dangerous for anyone. You see 1200 and values like it used in all kinds of plans and apps. A lot don't even have floors (Fitbit, for example, as well as any diet plan that doesn't include calorie counting).

It's recommended here for weight loss, which by its nature is temporary and applies to those with excess body fat to use for energy in a deficit.

It is NOT for everyone. 1200 diet is a joke. It isn't one size fits all. Its bogus, I would not survive on 1200. I tried it before and you know where it got me? THE HOSPITAL. I would never ever suggest it to someone for no reason at all without any consideration of their height/weight/age/gender.

All these fad diets and books suggesting 1200 are just out to make money and don't give a crap about your health.
    It's recommended here for weight loss, which by its nature is temporary and applies to those with excess body fat to use for energy in a deficit. You are 5'8" and 130. It's not going to tell you 1200 unless you tell it you want to lose weight. You don't have weight to lose. If you did really need to lose 2 lbs., you'd lose it in a couple weeks and avoid the hospital.

You understand how MFP arrives at 1200, right? It's just math and it does consider one's height, weight, gender and age.

This was when I was OVERWEIGHT. 1200 was not enough. Especially with exercise. I do not trust MFP calculations.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child.
    ... 1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really)
    1200 is the minimum someone should be eating unless they're under the supervision of a doctor (or are very short).
    1200 is the minimum someone? Isn't this what I JUST got yelled at for because a statement like that ignores a persons height, weight, gender, age. 1200 IS NOT a universal number.
    Will you believe Harvard Medical School? (I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about.)

calorie intake should not fall below 1,200 a day in women or 1,500 a day in men, except under the supervision of a health professional

I did already. it is a load of crap. it landed me in the HOSPITAL. What the heck. Doctors suggest these BS diets all the time doesn't mean they are right.

Nobody is saying 1200 is right for You.

Doesn't make it BS for all other people.

Yes I know you keep saying you know this - but then you seem to post things contradicting it. :indifferent:
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    so, a 30+ year experienced doctor knows less than a 19 year old student?
  • veg56kg
    Options

Yes I know you keep saying you know this - but then you seem to post things contradicting it. :indifferent:

Did you read the entire post? They literally said "1200 is the minimum someone should be eating-"
  • myusernam12
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. {snip}

6 foot tall, 35 year old male. I'm doing just fine on 1260 calories a day and have been for weeks. It sounds like a lot of people on this form are doing fine as well. I would suggest that the exception is you, not us.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    What gets me about the "1200 is dangerous" mentality is why people don't see that if it truly was, MFP would be open to all kinds of litigation for using it as their floor.

I truly believe it's not dangerous for anyone. You see 1200 and values like it used in all kinds of plans and apps. A lot don't even have floors (Fitbit, for example, as well as any diet plan that doesn't include calorie counting).

It's recommended here for weight loss, which by its nature is temporary and applies to those with excess body fat to use for energy in a deficit.

It is NOT for everyone. 1200 diet is a joke. It isn't one size fits all. Its bogus, I would not survive on 1200. I tried it before and you know where it got me? THE HOSPITAL. I would never ever suggest it to someone for no reason at all without any consideration of their height/weight/age/gender.

All these fad diets and books suggesting 1200 are just out to make money and don't give a crap about your health.

Now the truth comes out...
  • veg56kg
    Options
    so, a 30+ year experienced doctor knows less than a 19 year old student?

I am NOT saying that, but be cautious. Credentials don't always mean they give the best advice. I would get a second opinion. Look at Doctor Oz for example! He gives horrible weight loss advice.
  • veg56kg
    Options

Now the truth comes out...

What are you talking about? it was a secret. I tried all those lame fad diets before I learned about proper health and nutrition.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Honestly, I do between 1200-1300 a day, and I feel great. I am 6'4 and was at 360lbs. Now, I am down to 270 by maintaining that 6 days a week. It works for me.

yet I have lost a lot of weight and feel great. Also, this was under my doctors recommendation. So, how is that sad?

Trust your doctor I guess. If I was you I would get a new doctor. You are under eating severely.

He said he eats that 6 days per week.
    Depending how much he eats on the 7th day, his weekly average could be quite high -and it is really only the weekly average that matters, not the amount on any individual day.
  • veg56kg
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. {snip}

6 foot tall, 35 year old male. I'm doing just fine on 1260 calories a day and have been for weeks. It sounds like a lot of people on this form are doing fine as well. I would suggest that the exception is you, not us.

You are under eating.
  • veg56kg
    Options

Depending how much he eats on the 7th day, his weekly average could be quite high -and it is really only the weekly average that matters, not the amount on any individual day.

There is no way his one day of eating more than that will equal out 6 days of under eating.
  • paperpudding
    Options

Did you read the entire post? They literally said "1200 is the minimum someone should be eating-"

Yes I read the post.
    1200 is the minimum someone should be eating.
    Someone, not everyone.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Do you understand the difference between "minimum" and "maximum"? 1200 minimum means eating AT LEAST 1200; or DON'T GO BELOW 1200, not 1200 calories is the cap of what you should eat.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I said "1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone"
    And since not everyone is aiming that low, there's no reason to be castigating everyone for not eating enough.
    The whole reason I even made this post is because I noticed most people on my friends list were under eating
    So you posted in the fora, where it's unlikely many of your friends would see it, as opposed to on your own timeline (where they would definitely see it), or even in PMs to the offenders (ditto).
    Makes perfect sense.
    If you have a friendslist full of people with eating disorders, I sympathize
    I dont think they have eating disorders
    Didn't you start out by saying that they were under-eating and expecting fast results?
  • paperpudding
    Options

There is no way his one day of eating more than that will equal out 6 days of under eating.

Well, I guess only he can answer that.

I don't see how it is not possible though.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    This is one of those moments that I wish time travel were possible... so that the OP's 40- or 50-something year old, post-menopausal self who has a sedentary 9-5 job can come back and whack her upside the head and say "WTH were you thinking?"

I thought I knew everything at 19 years old, too.

Sincerely,

A 45-year old, post-menopausal woman with a 9-5 desk job -- who managed to lose HEALTHFULLY at 1200 calories/day and has been successfully maintaining for 2.5 years at 1400 calories/day.
  • veg56kg
    Options

Do you understand the difference between "minimum" and "maximum"? 1200 minimum means eating AT LEAST 1200; or DON'T GO BELOW 1200, not 1200 calories is the cap of what you should eat.

I understand completely, 1200 is not a minimum. It is way too little for someone my size, even if i was sedentary.
  • veg56kg
    Options

I understand completely, My point is that 1200 is not a minimum. It is way too little for someone my size, even if i was sedentary.
This discussion has been closed.