1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    For most people 1200 is not enough but for some it is especially older women and those who can't or know they won't exercise
    Not enough for what? If you don't have fat to burn, it's not enough to live on. If you have fat to burn, you burn the fat to make up the difference. 1200 IS enough for basic nutrition needs.

It might not be enough for many people mentally or emotionally but that's a compliance issue.

And it's not enough for people who don't have weight to lose, like you and the OP. I don't really understand how what level you eat at is even relevant to the discussion.
  • Phatgirl420
    Phatgirl420 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Why are people so damn worried about what others eat on here? I couldn't care less what anyone eats, or how many calories they take in! Everyone is different, what works for one person may not work for another. I keep my calories at or below 1200, and I have lost almost 30 lbs in 2 months. People need to worry about themselves. If I eat 1200, is that affecting you or your weight loss? NOPE! I don't see M.D. after anyone's name on here, and I feel fine everyday, not starved, they should change this sites name to My Fitness No It Alls SMH :noway:
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this thread is still going, lol.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    What’s wrong with all these people? What the OP said is true for most people. Most people shouldn’t be eating around 1,200 calories a day. Yet all these people show up thinking what she said applies to them.

2 Of the biggest contributors to BMR are weight and age. So let’s look at the facts.

Global average age:
    total: 29.7 years
    male: 28.9 years
    female: 30.4 years (2014 est.)
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2177.html

Average age is 29.7, yet all these older people show up, who don’t fit well in to the distribution curve show up, saying “hey you’re wrong.” She’s not wrong. You’re just not part of the statically average.

Also I noticed some younger people here standing by the 1,200 calories. The trend I noticed is they haven’t lost that much weight and they haven’t been on this site very long. They will learn in time the truth.

Fit me into your equation, master. Since you seem to know it all. Granted, I eat 1270, not exactly 1200, but close enough. I've lost about 40 pounds over the period of 5 months.

ETA: I started at about 1400 and gradually decreased as I lost weight.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    don't knowif it's enough but I just envy those who can stick to eat that amount and stay thin. I am bigger eater and can never lose weight...
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Why are people so damn worried about what others eat on here? I couldn't care less what anyone eats, or how many calories they take in! Everyone is different, what works for one person may not work for another. I keep my calories at or below 1200, and I have lost almost 30 lbs in 2 months. People need to worry about themselves. If I eat 1200, is that affecting you or your weight loss? NOPE! SMH :noway:

^^^^^THIS! It is none of anyone's business what or how much I eat. I don't understand why it is such a huge concern to strangers online what others eat or don't eat.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Why are people so damn worried about what others eat on here? I couldn't care less what anyone eats, or how many calories they take in! Everyone is different, what works for one person may not work for another. I keep my calories at or below 1200, and I have lost almost 30 lbs in 2 months. People need to worry about themselves. If I eat 1200, id that affecting you or your weight loss? NOPE! SMH :noway:

In 2 months, okay. How long you plan to keep it off? Anyone can starve themselves and lose weight. Some people actually do care and want others to be successful so the person isn’t wasting their time and spinning their wheels.

Also have you been keeping track of your lean body mass, how much of that have you lost and how much fat?

this is me...I was once up a time eating 1200 and lost 10 pounds then I lost control...became fat again
  • Phatgirl420
    Options
    Why are people so damn worried about what others eat on here? I couldn't care less what anyone eats, or how many calories they take in! Everyone is different, what works for one person may not work for another. I keep my calories at or below 1200, and I have lost almost 30 lbs in 2 months. People need to worry about themselves. If I eat 1200, id that affecting you or your weight loss? NOPE! SMH :noway:

In 2 months, okay. How long you plan to keep it off? Anyone can starve themselves and lose weight. Some people actually do care and want others to be successful so the person isn’t wasting their time and spinning their wheels.

Also have you been keeping track of your lean body mass, how much of that have you lost and how much fat?
    My point is, why do others worry about what others take in? I couldn't care less what you or her take in, so why worry about mine? I see it constantly people all up in everyone's biz like my calorie intake is gonna affect theirs or something, to each his own is all I'm saying, what works for her, may not work for me, and vice versa.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Granted, I eat 1270, not exactly 1200, but close enough. I've lot about 40 pounds over the period of 5 months.

Lemon, just a question, because you're in your 20s. Are you taking a supplement? We can't see your diary, so I can't know for sure. But for a lot of women under 50 it's tough to get all of the vitamins and minerals they need thru unfortified food alone in lower calorie ranges. In particular things like Vitamin D and iron and calcium (depends on how vigilant you are, really). I always am an advocate for nutrition thru food, but it's tough for some people. Anyway, just a thought. YMMV.

[Edit for stupid fingers.]
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Most evidence shows that lower calorie diets result in better long term maintenance rates. So some would call the people aiming for tiny deficits thinking they have maintenance licked 'spinning their wheels'.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/5/579.abstract
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1200 calories, I exercise 6 days a week and eat half those back give or take. I have been losing steadily about 1.5lbs per week and I have increased my muscle mass. I'm getting fit/strong... not skinny.

Whenever I reach my fitness goal, I'll start maintenance and increase my caloric intake. As for now, the 1200 base + .5 exercise seems to be working for me. Weight down 23 lbs, inches lost, muscle mass increased, strength and stamina increased.

While I'm sure your intentions were good, it was a very poor post.

FYI, I'm 49, 5.6 and 186 lbs - my metabolism is not what it was at 19.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    Granted, I eat 1270, not exactly 1200, but close enough. I've lot about 40 pounds over the period of 5 months.

Lemon, just a question, because you're in your 20s. Are you taking a supplement? We can't see your diary, so I can't know for sure. But for a lot of women under 50 it's tough to get all of the vitamins and minerals they eat thru unfortified food alone. In particular things like Vitamin D and iron and calcium (depends on how vigilant you are, really). I always am an advocate for nutrition thru food, but it's tough for some people. Anyway, just a thought. YMMV.

I track my macros and micros here and hit most of them most of the time (greater importance put on macros). I've been to my doctor lately and she said I'm in perfect health. I'll let you know when I start feeling shoddy, if that ever happens.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options
    What’s wrong with all these people? What the OP said is true for most people. Most people shouldn’t be eating around 1,200 calories a day. Yet all these people show up thinking what she said applies to them.

2 Of the biggest contributors to BMR are weight and age. So let’s look at the facts.

Global average age:
    total: 29.7 years
    male: 28.9 years
    female: 30.4 years (2014 est.)
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2177.html

Average age is 29.7, yet all these older people show up, who don’t fit well in to the distribution curve show up, saying “hey you’re wrong.” She’s not wrong. You’re just not part of the statically average.

Also I noticed some younger people here standing by the 1,200 calories. The trend I noticed is they haven’t lost that much weight and they haven’t been on this site very long. They will learn in time the truth.

Fit me into your equation, master. Since you seem to know it all. Granted, I eat 1270, not exactly 1200, but close enough. I've lost about 40 pounds over the period of 5 months.

You fit in to the equation nicely. This is what will happen, assuming you hit maintenance. If you’re not close to your goal weight you’ll probably stall out before you hit maintenance. Lets just assume you do hit your goal weight. You have 2 options, maintain at 1,200 calories, or increase them to a more realistic caloric intake. Increasing calories with a slowed metabolic rate just leads to weight gain. Seen this pattern many many times before. Is it possible to increase calories and not gain weight? Yes, but it’s like a tight rope walk back up to maintenance. Really have to know what you’re doing, how to monitor your progress, and results.

Let me add that during my journey I've not once "stalled out" or had a plateau. I've passed two goal weights and continued to keep going to become even fitter. I will start lifting heavy again in the fall and will increase my calories then. Do I think I have a damaged metabolism? From a few months of eating not even that little? Not at all. It's silly. Don't act like you know what will happen when I switch to maintenance. The only person you can speak for is yourself.
  • Phatgirl420
    Options

My point is, why do others worry about what others take in? I couldn't care less what you or her take in, so why worry about mine? I see it constantly people all up in everyone's biz like my calorie intake is gonna affect theirs or something, to each his own is all I'm saying, what works for her, may not work for me, and vice versa.

I do understand your point, I am asking you to understand mine now. She’s just trying to help people be successful in their weight loss… Even if her advice is unwanted, her intentions are well placed.

There has been many times where I have given unwanted advice. I see something not right, I bring it to the person attention. I have been on MFP for over 3yrs, lost over 200lbs. I understand unwanted advice can be annoying. But my intentions are well placed. You know all the people who I have given un wanted advice to… 98% of them have quit. They didn’t want to listen.
    Congrats on the awesome weight loss! :-)))
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    1200 is enough for some and not enough for others depending on age, height, weight, lifestyle, and level of activity. 1200 is too little for me but my mom who is 5'1 and 110 lbs is lucky if she can manage 1200 cals a day...
This discussion has been closed.