Does anybody actually measure out salad dressing?

Options
124»

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I generally use about a half a packet they give you at work for a medium size salad.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yup. I measure mine - usually I have half a teaspoon or a teaspoon if I have extra lettuce (italian dressing generally, or homemade version - oil, lemon and black pepper).
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    yes because I can become a bit crazy with ranch dressing
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes! I usually take a salad for lunch at work so I separate the dressing from the salad so it doesn't get soggy and it's really easy and quick to do.
  • AtlantaBob
    AtlantaBob Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yes.....salad dressing is SO easy to overuse and it's easily avoided.

I'll add 1 serving in grams to salad in large mixing bowl and then toss it all to get salad coated evenly.

Before that I was using anywhere from 2-4 servings of dressing to get the taste on all of the dish.

Now it covers everything with one serving! yay! Small victories
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    of course. i measure and weigh everything. guessing is not going to lead to success. it will lead to double portions or more.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    2tbs seems to be the most common serving size but I've never actually got out a tablespoon and poured two exact amounts to put on a salad.

I put my bowl on the scale, make my salad, taking measurements as I go. Tare before each ingredient. Tare before the salad dressing, and take the weight.

done. easy. fast. accurate.

This describes how I eat pretty much everything.

Yes, why wouldn't you measure dressing? It probably is the most calorie dense thing in the salad.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think it's prudent to log all the calories of which you are aware.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I measure almost everything. After reading this thread, I may switch to grams. Sounds easier. I lose more when I measure. Too easy for me to be overly generous in serving sizes when I estimate.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    My son is in charge of the dishes. I measure it out and put it in a separate container to bring to work.

I also do the same with my nut butters.

His only request is that I rinse it before leaving it in the sink.

(He's almost 15 and will UNLOAD and REALOAD the dishwasher in "his own way" so I don't even bother anymore.)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't eat salads at home (usually) but if I did - probably not.

BUT_ when I go to dinner- and order salads- I absolutely request for the dressing to be set to the side- no questions asked. I can't deal with how they may or may not measure. It's to much of a gamble.

I usually use vinagerette's so it's not AS big of a crisis as creamier dressings.

If I was having weight issues- like getting stuck to often- I'd definitely be using my food scale.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    2tbs seems to be the most common serving size but I've never actually got out a tablespoon and poured two exact amounts to put on a salad.
    Why wouldn't you If you want to know the calories? We're calorie counting not calorie guessing, well that's what we're meant to be doing
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat salad very often but yes I do measure it out. You'd be surprised how much calories are in a serving of ranch, or balsomic dressing and etc. Even the low fat dressings can pack a lot of calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well I usually weigh it - but yes I do some sort of measure - otherwise how would you know how many calories you're having? 40 240? It is super easy to over pour dressing...
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah. I already have my bowl or plate on the scale from tossing in all the other ingredients, so I just tare it out and drizzle it on, measuring in grams.

ETA: I am sick and dizzy and didn't realize I had already responded to this thread, lol. WHoops!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    When at home yes.

When I go out I order dressing on the side and do the fork-dip method. You'd be amazed at how that gives you just the right amount of dressing per forkful.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I ditched my salad dressing and just use mustard or lemon juice.

You guys are all so smart- weighing the bottle before and after to see how much you used and the other methods. Come to my house and make my food...
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use the cap of the bottle as a measurement. It's actually about 1 TBSP.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do. I have these tiny bowls that have measurements on the side, though. AND I never use all of the dressing, so I get te benefit of over-logging. :)