College + Alcohol - How do I solve this problem?

Options
Ok, so I'm in college, and as many of you might or might not remember college tends to involve some amount of drinking. Is there a good way to plan my drinking, or do any of you know if e.g. wine contains less carbs than beer or vice versa? I am kind of a fussy drinker and not much for those light beers that to me mostly tastes like water. Although I do like mixed drink, wine etc etc.

Help please! :)

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If you don't want carbs with your buzz, vodka and rum are the two I recommend. Straight up or diluted with ice and water.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    1. Tequila
    2. Moderation
    3. College doesn't have to involve drinking any more than life after graduation does.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Vodka and diet soda or water is about the best you can do when it comes to alcohol content vs calories.
  • oinkerjnn
    oinkerjnn Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Viola soda or vodka on the rocks. I add olives to mine on the rocks which promotes water retention but I like it, and I don't drink very much anyways.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Two words:

Well, one hyphenated word:

Self-control

If you want to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle, you have to control yourself and set limits for yourself. Obviously, as a college student, you're going to go out and have a good time, but going for all-night ragers, getting blackout drunk, being out all night...all bad choices.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Something that will help more than what you drink, although it's something I never learned myself: drink slooooowly and in moderation. If you sip a couple of glasses of wine all night, you aren't going to do any damage of note. If you knock back vodka shots, you will, regardless of carbs. May be obvious, but true.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I was going to post this. Someone beat me to it.
  • carnavore
    Options
    The four horsemen: Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Jose Cuervo & Johnnie Walker. Enough said.
  • orangpeel757
    orangpeel757 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Alternate each drink with a glass/bottle of water. Heck, just walk around with water. It looks like vodka and you'll get to enjoy watching other people be drunk.
  • katieca123
    katieca123 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like doing vodka + a low calorie lemonade, and it's usually good with just about any low calorie juice.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    So much -this-. I was in college twice, once living on campus once not. College doesn't have to involve alcohol any more than it has to involve cocaine or indiscriminate sex or dressing up as a chicken and walking into KFC and screaming "eat me!" College and the rest of your life are all about choices. Why assume that college has to involve alcohol? It's a dangerous assumption to think "I have to drink or I'm not one of the cool kids"
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice! I realize I wrote "carbs" instead of "calories" in my first post, my bad. Anyways, some of you seem to think I'm planning all night ragers and getting "****faced" on a daily basis. I can assure you this is not the case. I've been in college for 2 years now, and of legal drinking age for five, I don't drink "because the cool kids do it". The kind of alcohol consumption I was referring to was the occasional pint at the Uni bar, or a few glasses of wine with dinner. No need to worry about my overall health :)

From your advice I take it cocktails are the way to go, the problem there is that wine or beers are so much handier when it comes to preparation. How about GTs?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    So much -this-. I was in college twice, once living on campus once not. College doesn't have to involve alcohol any more than it has to involve cocaine or indiscriminate sex or dressing up as a chicken and walking into KFC and screaming "eat me!" College and the rest of your life are all about choices. Why assume that college has to involve alcohol? It's a dangerous assumption to think "I have to drink or I'm not one of the cool kids"

there is an option... less carbs in cocaine that in booz!
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Gin and slimline tonic is great, as is vodka, lime and soda (also you can switch to just a soda and lime and no one will be able to tell!). The other thing I find REALLY useful is to plan my food for that day, and the amount of drinks I'm going to have. I try to make sure I've eaten something at home that I know the calories in before I start drinking. Eating out AND drinking is what tends to put me over on nights out. :smile:
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    vodka and diet soda works for me!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Yeap - grow up and learn when to say "No" :-p :drinker:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Spirits mixed with diet colas and lemonades work eg JD and diet cola. Doesn't quite taste the same but it will mean you consume fewer cals.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Yeap - grow up and learn when to say "No" :-p :drinker:

in college off course...!